The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

What Will Newcastle Do With Fraser Forster?

10:01 am, Sunday, February 19th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Fraser Forster seems to be doing well out on loan at Celtic this season.

Fraser Forster – playing well on loan at Celtic

In the last two months or so he has had good reports and seems to be in top form, but we wonder if he has any future at Newcastle.

Fraser had his big chance last summer on Tyneside, but he didn’t look all that sound, although he did have a couple of games where he looked good.

But Holland International Tim Krul has firmly nailed down the number one jersey on Tyneside this season,  and Fraser has said before that he doesn’t want to be on the bench at Newcastle.

We were fairly sure he would be sold this summer, but if he continues to play well up north then maybe  Alan Pardew will want to take another look at him in the summer.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon is talking as though it’s almost a done deal that they will  sign Fraser:

“We have had communication with his agent, I’ve had a chat with Fraser this morning and we hope we can get something sorted out in the near future.”

“You are never confident on these things but we have made our approach and told him how we see things and that we want him here.”

“It is basically down to his agent, himself and Peter Lawwell, chief executive to get a contract resolved.”

And then the news that’s been hitting the papers is when Lennon was asked if Fraser should get an England call-up, and this is what the Irishman said:

“Well, why not? I look at some of the other goalkeepers who have been involved in the England squad.

“I think Joe Hart is outstanding, I think he is clearly the England number one but the way Fraser is progressing.

” I wouldn’t want to throw him in too early, but the way he is playing, why not?”

A number of top England goalkeepers have said they don’t want to play for England any longer,  WBA’s Ben Foster and Blackburn’s Paul Robinson being two of them.

But now with Italian Fabio Capello gone, they may change their minds, especially if Englishman Harry Redknapp gets the  job.

23-year-old Forster would be happy enough it seems to move to Glasgow on a permanent basis,  but we have a feeling some clubs in England may be interested in taking him, and the standard of football is better in England.

But at least in Scotland he would be guaranteed European Football,  since it seems that Celtic and Rangers are guaranteed that every season, because of their domination of the Scottish Premier League.

Forster is on his second season-long loan deal in succession at Celtic, and the season before that he helped Norwich City get promoted from League One, where again he had an outstanding season.

This is what Fraser said,  when he heard his manager was recommending that he get an England call-up:

“It was very kind of the gaffer to say that about me,” “I obviously have international aspirations. I would like to get a call-up sometime in my career, that is an ambition of mine.”

“But it is very important to play well for your club and keep working as hard as you can and if any of that comes it is a bonus.” “I have been pleased with my performances and the way things have gone over the last couple of months.”

“I just want to play well for Celtic and it is up to other people if they think I am doing well enough, it’s not really for me to say.”

We think Pardew has probably seen enough of Fraser and with his unwillingness to sit on the bench at Newcastle – and we cannot blame him for that – we think he will be sold in the summer.

The fee Celtic offered last summer was £2M, but we think it will take more than that for Newcastle to sell the 6’7″ Hexham-born  keeper.

And don’t be surprised if one or two English clubs, even in the English Premier League, come in for him over the summer.

Fraser still has two and half years left on his five year deal at Newcastle, and other clubs possibly becoming interested is  one reason Neil Lennon is trying to get him signed up to a provisional deal in Glasgow right now.

What do you think?

Tags: Fraser Forster · Newcastle News

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 steve // Feb 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Q. What will Newcastle do with Fraiser Forster?

A. Sell him to Celtic

Easy. Ask me another ;)

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

A whopping big fine is too good for Ashley.

• 3 Crawfordladd17 // Feb 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Sell him the Celtic because
    1. He is shit
    2. I support Rangers as well

• 4 geordie157 // Feb 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Saw Fraser a few times whilst he was on loan at Norwich and he looked to a be a class keeper in the making, remember him taking out on of the centre backs (Nelson) to claim a cross. Made some great reaction saves too.

Be a shame to lose him, but he’s worth at least 3mill. I’d rather loan him out again to a championship team and raise his value some more.

• 5 dmac // Feb 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Id like to keep the lad. Dont see why he cant be 2nd choice. Think Harps should retire to a coaching role. Surely this lad has to be better than Elliot? He plays regularly.

• 6 RobertLeeNo.7 // Feb 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I think we shouldn’t sell him to celtic, we should agree to loan him again next season to keep him happy and progressing so if Krul ends up leaving we can recall him and doesn’t leave us gambling on a cheap foreign keeper that could flop

• 7 tchambers67 // Feb 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Im a Celtic fan living in newcastle. Have been following the team all season (this is my first year in newcastle) and must say Tim Krul is fantastic.

Fraser Forster this season has been equally fantastic and deserving of all the praise sent his way.

Just to clarify though… Celtic have 1st option on Fraser Forster and the price is already settled around the 2 million mark.
    As long as they can thrash out personal terms – then fraser forster is a celtic player as id imagine they would be delighted to get a keeper such as him for 2million.
    The big man seems happy up there too and so i’d imagine thats why lennon is talking pretty confidently about it!
    All the best for the rest of the season – I hope to get to some more games – great support

• 8 JackButler // Feb 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Don’t think he’s good enough to be our No#1 keeper and I don’t think he’ll want to sit on the bench.He’s said himself that he’d like to join Celtic permanently so if he wants to leave then let him go

• 9 Ben3arfa // Feb 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM

If Forster gets an England call up then that will sure hike up his valuation , all the better for us

• 10 magpiebop // Feb 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

@3 agreed

• 11 jonnymcdonald // Feb 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

As a Celtic fan I have watched big fras this season and think he will sign for Celtic permanently! He has been top notch for the hoops but think he has no future on Tyneside. All the bed to him!

• 12 hodgebpt // Feb 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

maybe hooper coming the other way, we need some english lads in the squad

• 13 blew // Feb 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Does not command his area and is very indecisive, Scottish football is his level. I love to see local lads come good, but this lad is poor

• 14 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Feb 20, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Had no access to a computer for the last two months!

Every where this lad has been loaned out over the last few years has sung his praises!
    Makes me wonder if we are missing something when he,s not in Toon!

His chance was last year when he gave i believe a less than convincing perfomance! Maybe he just had a bad day at the office!

I would try and get 3mil for him though if we are going to sell him.
    Can,t blame him wanting to leave if Krul keeps him on the bench!
    Good luck to him!

previous post: Does Mike Ashley Care What Newcastle Fans Think?

next post: Newcastle Scouting Network Leaves No Stone Unturned