The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mike Ashley’s Vision For Newcastle United

6:49 pm, Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 146 Comments

With the open day yesterday at the Newcastle Youth Academy,  we are starting to find out more out about what’s going on inside the Academy.

Mike Ashley – takes big interest in Newcastle youngsters

And if there’s one good thing Mike Ashley’s done since he bought Newcastle United in the summer of 2007, it’s to start a drive to get good youngsters into the club.

But while we have seen some good ones come through like Andy Carroll, Tim Krul, Sammy Ameobi, Haris Vuckic and more recently Mehdi Abeid, we have not really seen enough develop into first team players  during Mike’s tenure at the club   - not yet anyway.

It all started when then Chairman Chris Mort announced the strategy of  building up the Youth Academy, and the club brought in five top youngsters in January of 2008.

Those five were Hungarian Tamas Kadar, Swede Ole Soderburg, Englishman Ben Tozer, Italian  Fabio Zamblera and Frenchman Wesley Baheng,  and all will have left Newcastle by this summer.

Ben Tozer and Fabio Zamblera have already left Newcastle, so it wasn’t a great start, although we must admit we thought  Tamas Kadar would come through big time.

But the lad seems to have lost his way over the last year, with several injuries not helping, and he didn’t even make the American tour last July.

It seems that manager Alan Pardew has persuaded owner Mike Ashley to invest even more money into the Youth  Academy, and Alan has pointed out that not enough of the youngsters are coming through and making an impact in the first team squad.

Alan Pardew and Joe Joyce will allow twelve youngsters to leave the club in the summer, and we expect new top youngsters to arrive in the summer, but there’s no doubt the standards will now be raised at the Academy.

Youth Academy manager Joe Joyce talked about the interest Mike Ashley takes in the Newcastle youngsters:

“Mike has been down to see the Academy and speak of his vision for the future.”  “It is something he cannot be involved with on a daily basis, but he is constantly given information about who is progressing.”

“And Mike takes an interest in the structure and the running, financing and productivity of the Academy.”   “Ultimately, that is what we are here to do – produce players.”

“It is very difficult to produce players for a Premier League club.”  “They have to be international players.” “With the opportunity this club is prepared to provide, we have seen Tim Krul this season make a big mark on the big stage.”

“Sammy Ameobi has had first-team football, as has Haris Vuckic.” “There are one or two players in the Academy who can compete at that level.”

“We have to make sure if we do get an Andy Carroll into the team and he moves on, we get the next player into his boots – that is the long-term vision.”

The strategy that Ashley has initiated in addition to the Youth movement is to get good players into the club on free transfers or on very good deals, and there’s no doubt that Newcastle have been successful in doing that over the last two years or so.

It’s a good strategy and Newcastle have invested a lot into the scouting network, and it seems to have already paid off with some stellar bargains in the last couple of years like Cheick Tiote, Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse and Mehdi Abeid.

More players like that over the next eighteen months or so and Newcastle will indeed have a top squad.

We are hoping we will see more good acquisitions in the summer, when Newcastle have the chance to increase and improve their squad,  so we could even be challenging for a top four spot next season.

That would be a stretch target,  with maybe a top six finish being an official target for the season?

Here’s hoping.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth

146 responses so far ↓

• 1 SurefootedShola // Feb 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM

We’re challenging for a top 4 spot this season damn it! When will people realise we’re 2/3 through and only a single point from 4th. A few games remaining and sitting in the same position and people will still be saying “next year we could challenge for a CL place”.

• 2 JackButler // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM

SurefootedShola – We’ve got a wafer thin squad, some of who are completely knackered

• 3 eaststandgeordie1982 // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

we dont need any european nights just yet its to early for our squad look what happened just from acon

• 4 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I do agree with this like, need to invest in infrastructure and need to get to Cat. 1 standards but as has already been said – we need massive investment into the reserve squad or I would be happier NOT qualifying for Europe and I’ve said that all season.

Of course if we finished in Europe you probably wouldn’t hear me moaning about it haha

• 5 tomtoon7 // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Not counting any geordie chickens quite yet but i love Thursday night European football at ST JAMES PARK!!! Espesh as we never go deep in our cup matches.HWTL

• 6 eaststandgeordie1982 // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:17 PM

THUMP it would be class if we finished that high in the league from where we have come from, if we did and we spent well in the summer then it might not be to bad but i reckon that should be our target for next season go all out for it

• 7 Dondatta13 // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM

@eaststandgeordie1982 (#3)

It’s a tough call but nobody said this would be easy….

Basically we heard from Pardew over the last few transfer windows that failure to cement a European spot would result in some of our stars moving on.

Catch 22 really, maybe we’re not ready but we have to push for it or face loosing big big players.

• 8 Marty-Toon // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM

@Sure footed
    Eds just being realistic really,we were hoping for a top ten finish at season start so top 7 can’t be bad.
    Of course if we manage top 4 then great but with our squad at he moment we would b put out of CL straight away.
    We haven’t enough depth in the squad and it would be so heartbreaking,so I would rather go straight into Europa cup

• 9 davybtoon // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Europa league wud do me jus fine it wud giv u the opportunity to play reserve players in the team, n IMO Europa league will keep us our star players for at least another season bcoz 1 they see we’re making progress as a club 2 they will wanna play in it there all young so no need to rush for champions league

• 10 eaststandgeordie1982 // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:25 PM

we need defenders midfielders strikers and maybe a keeper to cope with europa

• 11 darrenfletcher88 // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

A couple of things,did demba get player of the month for December?? And who thinks ben arfa will start on sat????

• 12 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Agreed eaststand. It would be one hell of a feat!

Doesn’t Europa have more games though? Could be a massive banana skin.

• 13 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

@darrenfletcher: Yes he did, no he won’t.

• 14 JackButler // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Securing a European place this season will mean a bigger role for the kids next season, Sammy, Vukic, Fergie, Tavernier and possibly Streete, it would be great experience for them and help with their progression

• 15 WWJBD // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

darrenfletcher88
    Yes he did and no I dont think he will

• 16 JackButler // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Thump – Fulham began their Europa campaign back in late june or early july :(

• 17 archaeomag // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Now we must not mention SJP, how about some anagrams:
    ‘Sports Direct’ is Crisped Trots or Rotted Crisps

However, Spo*ts D*rect stad*um is;

Dip Scoutmasters Dirt

Distorts Paid Rectums

Customised Dirt Traps

Smuttiest Sordid Crap

Pats Dirtied Scrotums

Tit Ass Directors Dump

Sad Directors Smut Pit

Not forgetting – Mr Measly Hike. – Sorry to lower the tone

• 18 darrenfletcher88 // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

@thump…hope he does, pardew started Obertan away to spurs so at hope to wolves we have to give him a start,I can see what he’s doing thou, I think hatem season will be next season!!!

• 19 davybtoon // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Europa league is only a strain if u use ya first 11 every Thursday n Sunday u will struggle, u hav to rotate ya squad n use the likes of tavernier vukic fergie abeid n any other youngsters who sign

• 20 davybtoon // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

On sjp am bored of it I don’t need a sign on a wall to call it sjp, n everyone kicking up a fuss now is a joke to b honest as it ain’t actually been sjp for a while now

It will always b sjp it’s a fuss over nothing

• 21 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

June/July? We’ll never survive the season :(

• 22 JackButler // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Not sure if that was the qualifying rounds though

• 23 WWJBD // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

davy
    It wont always be St James Park

• 24 martoon // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

archaeomag @17 some good ones there I particularly like Sad Directors Smut Pit

• 25 davybtoon // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Wwjbd I will always call it sjp I got brought up with that, n In all honesty I don’t really care about the name change as I don’t base our history on what the ground is called, I base it on what happens on the pitch

• 26 JackButler // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Check out Shola’s tash hahahahahahaha

• 27 WWJBD // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM

davy
    Me too but the name will die as the years go by, new fans wont know it and it will be lost in generations

• 28 archaeomag // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM

@martoon – agreed – the SDSP has a certain ring to it!

• 29 JackButler // Feb 22, 2012 at 7:55 PM

SJP will be gone until the next owner wants to get the fans on his side

• 30 WWJBD // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM

JB
    I truely hope so though it depends on if the new owner has a brand they want pushing or are willing to sell the advertising rights

• 31 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:01 PM

@davy: Why doesn’t it surprise me that you’re perfectly happy with it?

So you’ll always call it “St. James’ Park” as will I and every fan in this generation – what about your children? Or your children’s children? What then? Eventually the name will be lost in Toon folklore and frankly anybody who agrees with it (keep in mind we will be lucky to get £2m a year for it – and even that’s a stretch) is a disgrace to the club and it’s fans – and I genuinely mean that.

• 32 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Off topic but Marseille are running Inter all over the pitch.

• 33 toonLYF // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Cheick Tiote has got a real crocodile on his Lacoste t-shirt.

• 34 sahil // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I think JB’s right there, imo the next owner will come in and call it St James’ Park again and get rid of all the Sports Direct advertising, hopefully.

• 35 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

He is right, but the problem is when will that owner come along? We all know how Ashley does his business – who was it who said he likes to park his tanks on other peoples lawns?

• 36 JackButler // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

WWJBD – Its the instant way to get loved by the fans from a PR point of view

• 37 LewSpi // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

JB

Hahah, Santon’s creepy smile did it for me.

• 38 JackButler // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I offer my deepest apologies in advance for this, but this is what my mate just sent me

• 39 WWJBD // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM

JB
    True mate but then getting shot of MA will get most fans on side to begin with

• 40 stuart no9 // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:10 PM

davybtoon@20 davy are you a geordie ?

• 41 Tommyy // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Thump – I agree with you! How anyone can say it doesn’t bother them or they don’t care either way, is utterly ridiculous! It’s a massive part of our heritage! Its part of what makes us so unique and well known throughout the world.
    When you say Newcastle, people immediately think St James’ park, shearer and black and white stripes. It’s part of our identity.

• 42 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Exactly Tommyy, that’s my issue with it. If we *were* getting £10m for it, I’d hold my hands up and admit that, while I’m not happy with it, I’ll accept that it’s good business and will help the team in the long run. The problem is – nobody will pay that. Look at the Emirates when the sponsorship was bought and the finances that brought in – the money we’d get is simply not worth the unrest.

• 43 Tooooon // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Is this Tamas Kadar??

• 44 JackButler // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Does anyone actually believe that we will get a sponsor???

I think it will stay as the SDA and the 10mil revenue was just another work of fiction from the Brothers Grimm

• 45 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

JackButler -That’s pretty grim.

OK the SJP thing may be annoying but I can’t agree with two things, first one being that SJP is not important in terms of history or local heritage. I will probably be barred for this but Workyticket on .org posted this link –

It’s a match between NUFC & Newcastle in 1901, the solitary goal scored by Newcastle’s Bob McColl of later McColls newsagent fame. Think about what has happened at this ground in the long years between then & now. Don’t insult us with ‘it’s not important what the name is’. Second is that the name will dissolve in the mists of time. There’s a Thorn Lighting factory a few miles away from me, closed down for a while now, everyone here calls it ‘Smart & Browns’ If it hasn’t been that for 30 years then it must have been 40. And that is a crappy old factory. SJP won’t be forgotten if we continue to remember it, and we keep reminding MA of it. And yes, I think it will be essential for the next owner to start his tenure on the right foot by reinstating it.

• 46 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Oh and BTW the Virgin Money shirt sponsor spokeswoman virtually spelled out how toxic the association with MA’s company was. That goes for any other company, 10 foot bargepole territory. It’s not supposed to be anything other than a subliminal advert mouthed by sports pundits, so people will veer into his store when they want shabby tracky bottoms.

• 47 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Tooon – no, I think his goose has already been cooked. :)

• 48 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:52 PM

@Tooon: Looks more like Ryan Taylor to me like.

@Tsunki: Ew… you linked from a worky article? Can’t watch that like, my morals prevent me ;)

You’re right regarding the Sports Direct thing. A lot companies simply refuse to do business with him based on his business “standards”. I’ve heard people say he’s actually more ruthless than most – and that’s saying a hell of a lot!

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Luckily there’s no international break for the Holland game,who knows what type of stunt might be pulled next.

• 50 Tooooon // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Thump – I thought it was Ryan Taylor as well at first.

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I don’t think we’ll ever have another owner,not while SD is in business,I don’t think he ever planned tosell us in the first place either.

• 52 Tooooon // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Yeah youre right thump.. saw it for the third time and yeah I agree; it is ryan taylor.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I don’t think we’ll ever have another owner,not while SD is in business,I don’t think he ever planned to sell us in the first place either.

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Feb 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Typo

• 55 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

No I dont think he ever really planned to sell, that was a stalling tactic while he regrouped. Thump – wasn’t an article just a random comment answering someones crapness on the subject, but it’s an archived film with interesting commentary. And yes I forgot to say I thought it was Raylor too.

• 56 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Soooo… we’re linked with Aurelien Bayard Chedjou Fongang, CB from where else but…..Lille?

• 57 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Ah, all is forgiven then Tsunki mate ;)

• 58 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Is that the rumour that was bouncing around Twitter this morning, Tsunki?

• 59 stuart no9 // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

as a leading expert in an advisory position to companys thinking of rebranding, said in an article ” he would strongly advise any company against being involved in the naming rights now , as too much damage has been done and could damage future business” so i reckon what the club will actually achieve is nowt- except free advertising for ash.

• 60 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Thump – no this is new rubbish :) That one this morning was an unnamed midfielder from Ligue 2 wasn’t it? Supposedly came from a less unreliable Ligue 1 pundit. I personally hate the ‘watch this space’ ones less than the outright lies with names. it’s like waiting for the water-fuelled internal combustion engine.

• 61 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

@stuart: Don’t let a certain son of bill see you say that – god only knows what new hell would be unleashed ;)

• 62 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Ah that’s right. Forgot it was a midfielder! All I remember is “Lille” haha. Fairly certain I heard something about a defender this morning though… probably imagined it, I had just woke up lol

His wiki is pretty definitive though ;)

• 63 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

££££££££££££££££££££££££’s

Ashley’s vision ;)

Stu, little update but cannot say much, abit hush hush but there’s something happening very soon and hopefully it’ll get some good press. Counciler’s and MP’s have been busy today, that’s good to see and there’s some action’s going on behind the scenes though like with most things political, they take time! I wish I could say more but can’t atm……. weekend should be interesting ;)

• 64 achtoon // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Saw a Mackem fall into the Tyne this morning & being a caring citizen I informed the emergency services. It is now 12.30pm & they still haven’t responded. I’m starting to
    think I’ve wasted a stamp.

• 65 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Check ur FB Thump.

• 66 stuart no9 // Feb 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

thump @61- pity hes having 1 off tonight ha ha

• 67 ToonDownSouth // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM

You’re all so cynical. Just wait till that St James’ Park’s replace with a £10m name.

Like Nike… that was a rumour about 6 months ago right?

• 68 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

TDS – is that the smell of coffee? There is a stadium sponsor already, and it will stay that way until Mikey boy leaves.

• 69 stuart no9 // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

mactoon @63 yeah heard the MPs were out in force . great news – cant wait cheers for that mucker.

• 70 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Are you at the match/SJP Saturday Stu?

• 71 Dondatta13 // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

archaeomag @17 I’m CREASSSSSED mate!

Love it!

• 72 lesh // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Tsunki……..

is Aurelien Bayard Chedjou Fongang the big-name signing we’re hoping for?

• 73 stuart no9 // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

TDS @67 thats all it ever was a rumor !

• 74 solano // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

If DavyB’s opinion on the re-naming of SJP isn’t dismaying enough, I’m completely baffled by his views on a European campaign.
    What is the point of pulling your pluff out to qualify, if, when you get there you are going to field a reserve side? How would it make our top names stay if they are sitting on the bench and seeing all the hardwork that they put in to qualify, be wasted? What crowds would be attracted to the games to see line ups without our star names? People forget, our european attendances were dwindling badly under the last regime because of sub standard players and a blase attitude by manager’s and fans alike.
    Yes, I want to see us qualify for Europe. And yes, I want to see us significantly invest in a squad that is capable of competing on 2 fronts. Alas, I’m afraid Thump’s sentiments maybe proven closer to the mark if we don’t strengthen in depth.

• 75 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

lesh – another name picked out of the randominity (ok i made that word up) hat. Apparently dreamboat has been building us up and now he fancies us. I’m beginning to think that after the sad tale of Alan Smith, the club has found the secret formula to getting a top notch player is to search for ones with the most complicated names. :)

• 76 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

It wasn’t a rumour! I was shagging a bird who was wearing Nike trackies one time and in between hits of her crack pipe she told me that it was definitely true because her trackies told her so.

• 77 stuart no9 // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

mactoon @ 70 i am mate yeah.

• 78 stuart no9 // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

thump @ 76 hahaha soiling myself.

• 79 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

With the Norwich game reschedule it looks like we have a run of 6 games on the satellite after the Wolves one. So I get to see the aways on telly! Plays hell with the weekends tho.

• 80 bills-son // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

MacToon – and pray tell what do you hope to achieve with your councillors and MP’s ?

All this ‘watch this space’ malarkey and ‘got to keep it hush hush’ … I bet Ashley is quaking in his boots.

Not.

• 81 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

ha ha B-S, the newly apointed Ed’s blog’s very own oracle!

• 82 max // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

ok

• 83 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Any more ITK info B-S, who we signing next after Erding? ;)

• 84 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Stu, hoping to be at SJP Sat too and check out what’s happening. I imagine any chanting inside SJP will result in heavy handed stewards showing people the door, the again maybe nothing will be said!

• 85 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

@bills-child: Why is it that you don’t come along to the fans meetings? First Tuesday of every month at the Irish. You can avoid it all you like but we’ll keep asking you along – it’d be wonderful to meet you in person and see if you still manage to take entire sentences out of context.

• 86 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

@Mac-Toon: I heard we’re signing a lad called “Colin” but keep it under your hat!

• 87 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM

lol@ Thump, I’d rather he turned up btw, it’s every first Monday of the month mate lol. Next meet 5th March ;)

• 88 shielsy_83 // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM

theese are the targets ad gan 4

Vorm

Pieters/ cissokho

mbiwa

hoilett/barnetta/ assaidi

rhodes / luuk de jong or mayuka

one of them from each position and the squad would be sorted

• 89 Thump // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Ah is it monday? Shows how much attention I pay to the days of the week. I’d love to meet him in person – genuinely I would – to see if he could actually keep a straight face while vomiting his rhetoric.

• 90 solano // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Mac @ 87…why did you have to spoil it?? We cud have cammed the place up on the Tuesday and seen if he really could cause a riot in an empty room ;-)

• 91 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Would we be able to keep a straight face though…… Hopefully there’s two great wins before now and then and it’ll be a jovial meet.

• 92 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM

:lol: solano

• 93 solano // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I’l’ brave the dark at St James Park, in the Gallowgate End in the rain!

• 94 solano // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I’ll kiss the ground for the welcome sound of me Mother saying “Hinny, howay!” ;-)

• 95 solano // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM

A bit provincial for our international brothers, I know, but what the hell …. it’s our history and heritage ;-)

• 96 LewSpi // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM

MacToon

You think something is happening at SJP on saturday then?

• 97 solano // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Lewspi..not a chance, mate. a shrug of the shoulders and an apathetic look is all you’ll get!

• 98 MacToon // Feb 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I can imagine it’s the talk of the toon Lew, it’s the first home match since they ripped the signs down afterall. I hear there’s plans for the near future but Saturday could well be to soon for political cogs to move ha ha but Ashley isn’t quaking and why should he tbh, he imo cares very little what the common fans think/do or local councils or MP’s for that matter!

• 99 LewSpi // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Ha. All very true words, aren’t they Bills?

• 100 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I thought Ashley was the best thing since sliced bread, why should there be any sign of mistrust or discontentment from the natives!

• 101 LewSpi // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

The defenders we’ve been linked with since Feb 1st (by actual Journos, not ‘ITK’s’)

Nathaniel Clyne
    Rhys Williams
    Douglas
    Yanga-Mbiwa
    James Tomkins
    Jan Vertonghen
    Adrian Mariappa
    Mathieu Debuchy
    Aurelien Bayard Chedjou Fongang

• 102 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Shoking list Lew and it’s only going to get longer. Just had an ‘orrible thought, if we lose Colo or Willo to injury Saturday, could change the whole complextion of the game the following weekend. Sorry, I hope I haven’t jinxed it lol , just a passing thought ;)

• 103 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

*shocking in that : they have no idea that is…….. and print what they want.

• 104 Thump // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

@Lew: No Messi?

• 105 Thump // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM

@MacToon (98): I heard of something happening like. Dunno what it could be like…

• 106 ToonDownSouth // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Tsunki & stuart

Glad to see everyone understood my sarcasm earlier… *facepalm*

Haha

• 107 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Well I wanna go and see if there’s any craic Thump, we might even smell Ashley’s fear if we get close enough…..

• 108 solano // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Thump and Mac..I know your hearts are in the right place, but we couldn’t agree on anything in a room of only 20 at the meetings in the Irish….are you seriously hinting at some concerted effort to do something via the council?
    I don’t want to sound cynical, but there are those who don’t give a shite, those who talk a good fight and those that couldn’t organise a p*ss up in a brewery.
    Matchday experiences are now one of people frightened to speak up in case the stewards take their ticket away. No wonder it’s like a morgue in the stadium sometimes and everyone looks uncomfortable as if they are at a funeral.

• 109 ToonDownSouth // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

It’s quite strange to see a fan like bills-son who genuinely would side with Ashley over the heritage of the club he loves….

That’s a real puzzler to me.

• 110 solano // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM

“There are 2 kinds of people in this world….those with loaded guns and those who dig..”
    Dig?

• 111 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Very true words solano and it’s a shame the atmos can appear so morose at times at SJP. If the council keep the signage the same that’s defo a plus though imo.
    Standing at the pearly gates for my final judgement and I’d be happier in my shoes than those of Ashley.

• 112 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM

TDS. it is a puzzler.

• 113 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM

and your sarcasm wasn’t wasted on me lmao.

• 114 solano // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Judgement Day maybe a while yet, Mac! I admire your stoiic optimism though!

• 115 ToonDownSouth // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Is the atmosphere really that bad these days? I’m currently located in Bath, so don’t get up anywhere near as much as I’d like to (£150 train journeys don’t help), but I haven’t noticed it that much.

Maybe it’s because I’m young – I guess I may not have been there when the ‘famous atmosphere’ always mentioned existed.

• 116 Thump // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM

@solano: Not trying to play devil’s advocate here like, but I think there’s a huge difference between a meeting at the Irish and a meeting with the council. For one, in the Irish we allow our passion to blind us while the council is paid to come to an opinion.

I’m not saying we’re wrong, but we speak as fans – the council does not.

• 117 Thump // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM

@TDS: I’ve been in the stadium where you can hear a pin drop. The “famous atmosphere” is really overhyped based on it’s consistency. Rain or shine, there’d be noise. Now? Not so much. Bad football leads to silence.

• 118 ToonDownSouth // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM

But watching Stoke play, they have one of the most intimidating atmospheres in the league. A smaller stadium with fans closer to the pitch obviously helps – but they play some dire stuff at times and the fans still absolutely lap it up.

At the end of the day it’s rare that 90 minutes of football alone provides value for money on tickets these days. I guess it’s up to the club to create a feel good atmosphere among fans that spreads to the stands, but we’re not seeing that these days.

• 119 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Thump, (sadly) I see it in percentages and see where the support is or isn’t. There could be a point where there’s a final nail in the coffin and people wake up and smell the roses. Ashley is in such a strong position he could probably write off 10,000 season tickets and still make money or atleast break even. Credit to his business sense.

TDS, I think we’re referring to the hassle at the beginning of the season when the moved singing section fans became targets for Ashley’s hencemen, the stewards, stand up and your out kind of thing, enjoy yourself at your peril lol

• 120 solano // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Thump..I hope you’re right, but I must point out that councillors are unpaid….though they do get “expenses”.The pen may indeed be mightier than the sword, but as I pointed out above, loaded guns hold sway in this world!

I’m off now, anyway, I have a heavy burden to carry…Goodnight you Princes of Percy Main, you Kings of Newcastle!

• 121 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:47 AM

“Funny, even if we did get a sponsor for the stadium and £1-2m extra a year – if the club hadn’t turned so many fans away they wouldn’t have to give out half price season tickets, and they’d have made that money anyway.”

I’ve been bleating on about that for days, improve the corporate too and he’d be quids in.

• 122 ToonDownSouth // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Ah, I wasn’t so aware of that Mac. I remember a few complaints about it at the time – but there’s not that many on here any more that actually get to games every week, and I have little contact with other fans. That sucks though.

I know the club have spoken about it under the pretence of ‘health & safety requirements’, but I’ve been at away games and been stood up for 90 minutes without a peep from the stewards.

• 123 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I know TDS, it’s shocking how some fans have been treated and as Thump’s said it’s passion and sometimes it’s difficult to control.
    I’ve heard a few bad tales of the break up of the singing section, one poor lad, a teenager was headbutted by another (middle aged) toon fan because he’d been moved to an area where people didn’t appretiate his passion.

• 124 Dondatta13 // Feb 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM

bit off topic….

Right lads, there’s quiet talk that Stuart Pearce MIGHT offer Forster a call up for the England game V Holland.

If that happened, could we still sell him for £2m to Celtic or should we be looking at more ;)

• 125 davybtoon // Feb 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Lol the council can’t do anything about the name change hence the reason it’s done nothing but keep street signs bcoz that’s all they can do

• 126 davybtoon // Feb 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM

N with all the talk of krul we wud b mad to sell Forster b4 krul future decided

• 127 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Is it davy? That’s hilarious btw…… I suppose you’re privy to their meetings!

• 128 Kc-Toon // Feb 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Kruls future dosnt lie in the balance, hes always seemed happy up here. Well thats my opionion anyway, i also thought andy carroll was the next no9 for years to come..

• 129 davybtoon // Feb 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Mactoon Newcastle is a business if they Newcastle wanna change the name they can do it n the council can’t stop as I’ll think u will find its no longer called sjp, it’s historic landmark to the fans but that’s as far it goes it is not an official historic landmark hence the council hav no authority on naming rights as they wud do with say the Tyne bridge, I don’t like it’s been changed but u lot can’t do a thing a keep telling u that ma been in charge 5/6 years n u lot hav done what exactly had a drink in the Irish club giv me a break

• 130 davybtoon // Feb 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I don’t mind ppl opinion but my god If sum of u lot were running the club we wud b up sh!t creek within a month, we wud hav a new manager every 2mins bcoz they lose a game or bcoz we ain’t top of the league

• 131 Kc-Toon // Feb 23, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Ashleys running the club, even worse. Somthing like 5 diffrent managers from around 2007 till 2009?

• 132 MacToon // Feb 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I find it strange that you as a Newcastle fan find it funny, sad state of affairs.

Otherwise, you talk alot about stuff you have little knowledge of.

• 133 roshan MAGPIE // Feb 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM

MACKEMS SUCKS http://salutsunderland.com/

• 134 brklyngeordie // Feb 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Some “Ride” its been with Ashley.. Really low moments in the regime but to possibly go from “Coc-Cola” champs to “Uefa-Champs” which is really within grasps of qualifying for this year “IMO” if we get good “Health” and “Fortune” in these last 13 it would be a remarkable turn-around.. I dont understand ppl on here not wanting to qualify for “Europa League” : s ….I wish thats what are worries come down after this last stretch HWTL!!!!!!

• 135 Thump // Feb 23, 2012 at 4:53 AM

roshan finally came out as a mackem

• 136 Baro // Feb 23, 2012 at 5:15 AM

FIFA 12 update is out …..

Honestly ratings arent that high…

Ba 82

Beny 78
    Simpson 75
    Santoon 75
    Abeid 60
    Fergie 64

Ba got strength trait

Honestly we are so exciting to play with … So Neatly!
    I love playing with ba and. Issue up top!
    Immense
    Also colo is a rock at the bak!

• 137 magpiebop // Feb 23, 2012 at 5:47 AM

No one gave a shit when fans including me were moved from the north east corner under Sir John Hall to accomodate away fans. Why make a fuss when Mike Ashleys done the same to another section?

• 138 ilovetoon8788 // Feb 23, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Obertan went from 76 in fifa 12 before patch to 70?

HAHA. Pardew should take note.

• 139 Indian Magpie // Feb 23, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Lee Ryder @lee_ryder
    Media in France believe that #nufc close to a signing from Ligue 2 who has been on trial on Tyneside

Yesterday’s news

• 140 Indian Magpie // Feb 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Ben Lyttleton @benlyt
    #NUFC set to sign Reims attacking midfielder Romain Amalfitano, bro of Marseille’s Morgan, on 3yr deal this summer, says L’Equipe

• 141 jesperfuglsang // Feb 23, 2012 at 8:48 AM

The only player besides Darnel Situ that has been on trail at us, that I can think of is William Rémy from Lens.

Maybe it’s him. Lens does have a few other exiting players such as Thorgan Hazard or Alexandre Coeff.

There are probably other players and clubs in contention ;) lol

• 142 jesperfuglsang // Feb 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Indian, heard that rumor as well; don’ know anything about this Romain Amalfitano fella.

Anyone?

• 143 roshan MAGPIE // Feb 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM

• 144 Eastander // Feb 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I know his brother looked good last night, thats the extent of my knowledge

• 145 chris_g // Feb 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM

22 years old and out of contract in the summer, so he fits the profile

• 146 jesperfuglsang // Feb 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM

But is he any good? ;-) At that age he will a first team contender and can he get in our team or our bench?
    Does this has an impact on Guthrie’s contract situation.

previous post: New Rules Seen As Opportunity For Newcastle Youth Academy