Davide Santon – I Will Get Better With More Games

Davide Santon has already played in the European Champions League with his former club Inter Milan.

Davide Santon – I will get better

Santon started his career with a bang at Inter, and he had made 7 appearances for the Italian first team when he was just 20 years old.

Santon made his senior debut with the Italian team aged 18, in June of 2009 in a friendly game against Northern Ireland played in Pisa.

Strangely enough another Newcastle left back was playing in that game, and it was the only International appearance for our very own Shane Ferguson – so far and Shane may get his second cap next Tuesday night against Norway.

Italy won that game 3-0 and at the moment Davide is playing in the Italian U21 side, having represented his country also at U16, U17 and U20 level, and it’s a good question whether he will make the Italian squad for the upcoming European Championships in the summer.

Davide has spoken with the press today:

“It’s not just the Wolves game we’re thinking about, it’s the next one as well.” “It’s important that we win both games so that we remain in a good position in the table, and hopefully play in the Champions League.”

“It’s absolutely fantastic to play in the Champions League against some of the best teams in the world.” “This club wouldn’t be out of place. Just to get there would be a fantastic achievement.”

“What we’ve got now is a young squad which is improving all the time.” “In the next few years, the team will grow in confidence and strength.” “It’s difficult – there are lots of strong teams in the Premier League.”

“But if we can get there, we have merited it.” “I feel good. I get on very well with my team-mates and, as I play more matches, I will be better.”  “I spoke to some of my friends at Inter, and I said I feel more settled here because it’s a younger squad.”

“I’m settled here, and I’ve made friends.” “I really like the English way of playing.”  “It’s much more aggressive, but a lot of space is created, which means I can go forward.” “That’s what I like to do, go forward.”

Davide says he is more relaxed at Newcastle,  and of course the many youngsters at Newcastle must have been a great help in helping the young Italian  settle down so quickly on Tyneside.

But the 6’2″ youngster has now nailed down that left-back spot on Tyneside and he will be improving all the time, and of course his potential is just immense.

And it’s no coincidence that some of his previous managers like Jose Mourinho and Marcello Lippi,  have already compared him to the great Italian left-back Paolo Maldini.

Davide makes a good point that the team is young,  and there are still a number of players adjusting to the Premier League,  like himself.

Those players include Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba, Tim Krul, Yohan Cabaye, Ben Arfa and others – and they should all become better players for Newcastle in the future.

Just thinking of that,  makes the future look so positive for Newcastle. 😀

Comments welcome.

• Beattie25

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Mayuyka would be a great signing.

I’ve said it before, there is a guy that plays for Rennes called Jires Kimbo Ekoko who is phenomonal.

Very much like Muyuyka and either would be great additions

• Indian Magpie

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM

santon is class

• Klatoon

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I reckon he’s the most comfortable in possession at NUFC,far cry from Simmo who cant wait to get rid of the ball…usually with hopeless punts upfield.

• shearermania

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM

if only he could learn to use his left paw once in a while allowing him to become less predictive….

still needs a lot of work to become a really good player

• Beattie25

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Back to the subject matter at hand.

Santon is brill and it unbelievable to think he is still only 21. Imagine him in a few years when he has settled completely into the leauge.

All we need is someone to compliment him on the opposite side and our full backs will be like Brazil in the late 90’s, early 2000’s or the Barcelona, Real Madrid and Tottenham of today.

I think signing another quality full back would be the best bit of business this summer. Every time I think of it I am drawn to many players I would like to see.

Diego Contento of Bayern Munich is young, fast and attacking just like Santon. He is a LB who is often over looked due to Lahm.

Also Davide Santons former Inter team mate and current Italian u21 compatriot Marco Faraoni would be amazing. Again he has pace and is attack minded but also a quality defender and plays RB to Santons LB in the Italy U21 team. He is behind Maicon, Nagatomo, Zanetti, Chivu and even Cordoba in the Inter team with Ranieri prefering experience so we may have a great opportunity to seduce him to tynside considering the success of Santon.

I would love either of these and they would be much better value for money than Cissokho or Taiwo who would cost a lot more, but we shall wait and see.

• John

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

He is up there with Kyle Walker as good a Rb out their going forward gets caught out it defending sometimes dosent help been played at LB tho I think we wud see a huge improvement in him if his moved across to RB his natural posistion its like they slapped a no.3 on his back and said your a LB now wen hes clearly a rb.

• markmac

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM

He looks a decent player yes, but he [and many other premier league players!] needs to learn to use his other foot a bit more !

• jarnytoon

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I love santon!! Legend in the making!

• dazza

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Also Park from Basle at LB looked pretty class yesterday. Anything to get Santon back to his preferred RB position

• Brutooon

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Santon adapt well faster than Jose Enrique.

I dont mind keeping him at Left Back but we need to sign a better RB.

I hope Danny Simpson can be as “Aggresive” like Kyle Walker