Alan Pardew still hopes that Newcastle can sign Fabricio Coloccini and Danny Simpson to new contracts to keep them on Tyneside.
Danny Simpson – turns down latest Newcastle contract offer
The Sunday Sun is reporting today that the latest offer by Newcastle to Danny Simpson – a five-year deal worth £25K/week, has been turned down by the former Manchester United player.
But the light at the end of the tunnel is that Danny wants to have further talks later in the season.
And news today that captain Fabricio Coloccini’s South American agent is also wanting more than has been offered buy Newcastle.
The news on Coloccini is that Newcastle have offered him a five year deal through June of 2017, when he will be 35, and there’s also said to be a pay increase built into that contract.
But the Argentine International and his agent have still not accepted the deal.
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has tried to inform Newcastle fans today, that communication is still ongoing with the two players, and that the club are trying their best to sign up the two lads to good long term deals to keep them on Tyneside.
It’s just that they haven’t been successful so far, and with Simpson his contract negotiations have been ongoing since early last summer.
This is what Alan Pardew told the Sunday Sumn today:
“We’ve had conversations with them all in the last two weeks.” “I can see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel now. I can understand why fans are concerned but we’re making progress.”
“It’s not easy, contracts, and we’re trying to do what’s best for the football club and what’s best for the player. Sometimes they are worlds apart.” “There has been a bit of antagonism with contracts in the past.”
“There’s a lot more communication here and I think we’re trying to work through the process in a sensible manner.”
And there is news that Newcastle have already put together a contingency plan should they not be able to sign Coloccini or Simpson by the summer, at which time we suppose they will be sold, and new players brought in.
It’s shaping up a bit like last year when Newcastle lost then captain Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton because new terms could not be agreed.
And we wonder what is happening with the new deal for Danny Guthrie.
The other Danny has looked good for Newcastle this season, but with other central midfielders being linked with Newcastle recently, maybe the former Liverpool midfielder Danny will be allowed to leave the club as a free agent in the summer, when his four year deal runs out.
Newcastle always seem to find it difficult to sign up current players to new contracts on Tyneside.