Cisse Withdraws From Senegal Squad – Scores Goals Galore In Training

Alan Pardew says that he expects Papiss Cisse to score goals for Newcastle, and if the goals he has scored in training are anything to go by – that could be a lot.

Papiss Cisse – after scoring opportunist goal after 6 minutes on Saturday

Papiss is already a firm favorite with the Newcastle fans, as not only does he seem to be a great lad, and so modest, but he’s scored two good goals in his first three appearances for the Magpies.

Papiss Cisse even looks a like a goal-scoring machine, dare we say it, as the fantastic Alan Shearer was, when he graced the football fields with his presence.

Papiss has the ability to hit the net from seemingly anywhere, and come to think of it,  that’s exactly what our other Senegal striker, Demba Ba  looks like too. 😀

And Cisse’s goal on Saturday after just 6 minutes was a typical opportunist effort, after Demba Ba’s brilliant back heel from an excellent low cross from Yohan Cabaye, had been really well saved by Wolves Welsh goalkeeper Wayne Henessey.

And the really good news for Newcastle fans today,  is that he has been withdrawn from the Senegal squad to face South Africa in Durban tomorrow night, after he picked up a slight knock on Saturday, and was subbed in the second half.

Good move by Newcastle.

So  Cisse  does not have to make the energy sapping return trip to the bottom of the African continent, for a rather meaningless friendly  game.

Alan Pardew thinks there is much more to come from the Senegal born striker who has scored goals wherever he’s been::

“Papiss has been showing in training that he’s going to score goals.”  “I think he got six in one small-sided game!”

“I’ve not seen many strikers do that since I’ve been here.”

This is the first ever derby game for the Senegal twins Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse, so we expect they know just how vital this game is to Newcastle fans, and if these two are on form on Sunday, they could be too much for an ordinary Sunderland defense.

Of course our defense will need to play a lot better than they did in those final 45 minutes on Saturday, if we are to get the victory we need so badly, because after all it’s now a full two games without a win!

Howay The Lads!!

• ash-out

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Come on then Indian Magpie. You have your cue to slag our defence off. Or will you change your tune.

• Dannyo

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Seems like a terrific and humble lad. U really notice how important it is to have character that doesn’t distort a dressing room in harmony. It helps general morale and it helps the new lad settle in quickly aswell.
    Ofc, just based on the physical sides of things, he has yet to learn the english game, but man, what a start so far. It’s as good as anyone had hoped and him and Ba works well together.
    Working for the team and pressuring defenders all the time. Love that.
    We’re really going somewhere in 1-2 years.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM

i am not slagging any 1

• Indian Magpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM

and i have not siad NE thing that has not been echoed or is not evident to NE1

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM

not today Indian. but in the past you’ve been guilty of player bashing

• Indian Magpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM

What!!!!!!!!!!, it was constructive criticism

• FatmanJoe

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:26 AM

It’ll be really interestin to see what team and formation he picks for the game. I think he has to find a way to fit in both Senegalese and ben arfa personally. And find a way of dropping Simpson for a game or two. Personally I’d have Taylor at lb and santon at rb. Yes jonas will have to drop back but the rest is quite attacking.

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM

important not having a go Indian don’t worry. your criticism of pardew today has been constructive. you’ve made suggestions to improve and i partly agree with you today

• Dannyo

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM

@Indian
    Constructive criticism? Poor joke.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Partly, 🙁

• williamnelhams

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hello;

I made a resolution to become an active member on this blog; I made a few comments early on but recently I haven’t bothered. Do you know why?

It seems like 95% of the posters are here just to moan and complain about Pardew and Ashley; slag off some of our players; create their own tactics and transfer targets and argue that HBA should play every game.

It’s become too much for me. I feel sorry for Ed – he writes a piece and no matter what it’s about it’s hijacked by the usual ‘Pardew is crap’, ‘why didn’t HBA start’ occasionally I’ve commented on the article that Ed has wrote but it just gets lost.

It’s not that I don’t agree with what some posters are saying about Pardew etc. it’s just that it’s nonstop. Christ, we’re in 6th place; we’re building a decent team without any prima donnas, we are financially secure – maybe a little credit once in a while. Be honest, would you have expected us to be 6th at this stage of the season? I know for sure I’d be happy if we finished 17th. How many premiership teams have their finances as secure as we do? We are moving in the right direction.

I’m not asking people to stop questioning what happens at NUFC, just to keep it in check.

For the record; I believe Pardew is doing a good job, however, I do believe that he is a very cautious manager. He is always telling the players not to get carried away and I think this gets the players down a bit. I think at half time against Wolves he would have said something like ‘it’s not over yet, keep it tight’ when it may have been better for him to say ‘come on lads, let’s get a few more goals here’. But we don’t know what he said. He obviously isn’t clueless as he has as where we are. If he believes that we need to play cautious then I respect that as he is the manager.

At the moment I am favourable of Ashley, of course renaming SJP is a mistake but it’s the way it is. I do believe he has reinvested the £35million but into other things other than transfers. He is a very wise business who has sorted out our books. When we look at Rangers and Portsmouth we should be very thankful for this.

In my opinion, no-one who puts on the Newcastle shirt should be slagged off. I think there are three players that get the most stick. Obertan, Shola and Williamson. I like Obertan, sure he can be frustrating but he is very good for moving the ball from defence to attack – he offers another outlet for removing pressure rather than hoofing it. Shola is a NUFC legend in my eyes; he can seem slow and sluggish but I’m sure if you asked a CB who had been marking him for 90 minutes they would say that they had a bruising 90 minutes. Williamson is a decent defender – he’s backup to the squad, I think he knows this – he hasn’t done as bad as most people think.

The HBA situation is one that really gets to me – for me, everyone only seems to see the good side of his play not the bad stuff. Pardew is right to leave him out – he is a luxury – I believe that when the strength of our team improves he’ll be playing all the time as we’ll have enough strength to support him but at the moment, the way we play, the position we are in, he is a liability.

The tactics and transfers don’t annoy me too much. Everyone is a critic after all but just because you think it’s best for us to be playing in some odd 4-2-3-1 formation doesn’t mean it’s right. Pardew is a manager, we are not.

Also, just because ‘everyone can see a mistake but Pardew doesn’t’ doesn’t mean we are right – what everyone is looking at might be wrong.

Sorry for having a go. I just wish that everyone wasn’t so negative and more so, I hope that the comments section of this blog are used for commenting on the actual article (I know, I’ve used this article to vent my rage before anyone asks!)

Believe, I’m not sat here thinking everything is rosy at Newcastle but I’m content and we all should be. I think we’re lucky to be where we are, mainly due to Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea being poor. We’re in that midtable group of teams (Everton, Stoke, Scum, Fulham, Villa) and we’re doing the best.

Anyway, that is all. I’m sure I’m probably going to face a backlash. I do wish to continue with my resolution and I hope my comments referring an article aren’t lost in a sea of negativity.

• jimmymagpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Strange comment from Ed about the withdrawal of Cisse. He’s been withdrawn from Senegal squad because he has a groin problem, which was being assessed today after the swelling goes down, and he could easily be missing on Sunday. Physios worth their corn don’t take chances with groin strains, especially with athletes who have been doing a lot of work before the strain, and are working hard to fit in to a new environment. I obviously hope that he is fit and it proves only to be a slight problem, especially as Ba was also receiving treatment on his knee when I was down at Benton yesterday. Helping my nephew with some leg work in his efforts to fix up 2 of his young clients with new clubs after being told that they are surplus at NUFC – not an easy job in the current climate as a lot of clubs further down the ladder are on the financial bread-line.

• jimmymagpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

We are where we are in a poor league because of the fantastic performances of 2 players – Krul, who has saved us umpteen points, and Ba, whose goal-scoring has won us many points. Even Ferguson admits that his team isn’t playing good football, and they are 2nd by grinding results out, as at Norwich. Outside the top clubs, there is a very thin dividing line between success and failure in this league, as we witnessed against Wolves, who were well worth their point. Krul, in particular, must be kept in the summer!

• NathanH NUFC

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Shola will start anyway, we should all know that by now, as the saying goes “In case of local derby, keep calm and put Shola on” ;D I think Cisse could, and may well make an impact in the second half, if he’s fit that is, especially if 5under1ands defence is tired from dealing with Shola and Ba, he’s wreak havoc 🙂

• Pek

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Here here William…… Well said 🙂

• sparetheman

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

@11 Pretty much said most of the stuff I’ve been thinking for the last month or so.

We are unlikely to surpass expectations as we have done this season every year so if you’re moaning now when are you ever going to be happy? It’s important to enjoy things now – the club hasn’t been this stable since Sir Bobby and issues like HBA not playing or Pardew’s tactics are small potatoes really. There really isn’t that much to moan about.

• Griff-toon

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Im hoping Ed is right about the Cisse groin situation. It could be a shrewd move by Newcastle for keeping him away from the friendly match. Its been done before by many clubs.

Hoping we have Ba and Cisse ready for Sunday!

Howay the lads!

• Rotonda heights

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

who wouldn’t score against simpson and williamson

• max

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM

hope we can qualify for europe.. keep scoring!!!

• bills-son

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

william @ 11 – great post.

One of the best on this forum for a long time.

• Jamie McKellar

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM

“when i come to think of it, selection of Perch over Gosling really gets my blood boiling.”

just saying indianmagpie, this is what you wrote in the last article. and you say you dont slag the players off …

• AndyMac

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM

FAO William Nelhams

“It’s difficult to win four games at home – I think it was 2008, the last time we did that,”

“We have had a good run here at home and this was perhaps the first disappointment for a while.”

“I just know that this team can play a lot better than that, but we had some positives.”

“The defensive side of it, we just need to adjust a little bit.”

What’s not to slag in that little lot ? 🙁

• Best9

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM

i thought the whole point in “constructive criticism” was so that the receiver of the criticism could improve…yet if you’re given a player or even AP constructive criticism…has he received this personally from you? therefore i dont think it’s constructive at all.
    Aye AP has made a few (tiny few) errors, but im with alot of people on here…who expected us to be where we are in the table at this stage of the season? i’m over the moon with where we are and have major respect for Pard’s!
    The Cisse thing doesn’t worry me, he’ll be playing, this “groin injury” is just code for “we dont want him playing for senegal as we need him for the derby”.

Dno about anyone else, but I feel sick with nerves/anxiety leading up to sunday, can’t wait to get in my seat arghhhh.

• Best9