Pardew – We’ll Take Positives Into Sunderland Game

When the final whistle blew on Saturday afternoon, we heard just a few boos from some of our fans,  and the lads didn’t look happy when they left the field.

Fabricio Coloccini – manger thinks he’s getting back to his best

They knew, as the fans knew, that home games against sides fighting  against relegation have to be Newcastle wins.

That’s if we are to end up high in the league table, and even qualify for the Europa League next season, which has to be the goal through the last 12 games of the season.

But Alan said the players were a little rusty,  and the more we think of that he could be right, because our best side, which is the one we had out on Saturday, hasn’t played since the Manchester United game.

And of course since then we’ve acquired the great Papiss Cisse,  and he has replaced Shola Ameobi in the team that started against the Red Devils on January 4th – and that’s eight weeks ago!

This is what Alan has to say today,  about the game on Saturday:

“There were a lot of positives.” “I thought Colo looked back to his best a little bit.” “We’ve had a few positives, and we’ll take that into Sunderland.”

It seems the Newcastle manager is fairly satisfied with the performance on Saturday, after the lads were just horrendous against Spurs last time out.

But he know Newcastle will need to improve if we are to pick up 3 points against Sunderland on Sunday afternoon.

If Newcastle win they will get the double over Sunderland this season, and the last time we did that was back in 2006.

That was after  Glenn Roeder had taken over from the sacked Graeme Souness in February of that year, and orchestrated a 4-1 win at the Stadium of Light on 17th April.

That was after Sunderland had been leading  1-0 at the half, and earlier in the season  Newcastle had whacked Sunderland 3-2 at St. James Park on Sunday, 23rd October.

Come to think of it, a double over Sunderland this season would be very nice.

In fact it would be tremendous.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM

“There were a lot of positives.” “I thought Colo looked back to his best a little bit.” “We’ve had a few positives, and we’ll take that into Sunderland.”

what the hell, lot of positives, few positives, its willo and simmo that have made colo look poor

• alex84

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

haha Indian you do make me laugh with your Pardew bashing, im 50/50 on pards, i just want to see hba given a full run in the team as haiving 20 mins here and there wont do anything for him, and i can see wenger having him in the summer, then that would really suck as wenger would aloow him to attack attackattack!

• Indian Magpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Alex i am just reacting to the quotes that just do not add up

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM

the problem with Ben arfa is that 20-30 min sub appearances aren’t long enough for him to shine but he’s not justified having a starting position with his selfish play. catch 22

• Dannyo

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM

There’ll always be positives from matches. At Tottenham Fergy was a huge positive imo.
    To say that Pardew is satisifed with the result is an horrendus assumption imo.
    I, like him, think it’s important to discuss with the group what went wrong and what we should have been doing better. That loss was the players fault. Pardew had the tactics and he put the right subs on and he did it at the right times.
    But poor decisions by players like HBA, bad passing from players like Guthrie doesn’t exactly help the cause when u try to stop the opposition from overruning us in the midfield.
    It was a poor game by most players, and Pardew can’t be critized for it. He did all the right things in my view.

Analyze it, improve on it, move on and encourage the players to do better as well as u can.

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM

he is a bit wishy washy with his interviews sometimes lol. still a likable fella

• Louis583

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:50 AM

There will come a time. A time when good men will reign and bad men will fall.

When mountains will crumble into molehills at the touch of mighty warriors, burying the detestable bones of the cowardly enemy in clouds of rubble.

There will come a time when you think everything is finished. That will be the beginning. Beasts of highest evil and stench will be slain with blades of pure and unadultered strength.

WE will feed on the corpses of the unwashed dead, their red and white tabards drooping in the Tyneside breeze. WE will vanquish them back to the southlands, back to their land of debauchery, terror, and hilariously stupid accent.

WE will do proud this city of ours: this glorious, hopeful city of God. Their beastly minds hold recollections of last Halloween’s honourable slaughter, but they grow arrogant once more.

Their loutish lords; Lee of Cattermole and Martin o’f Neill will be blushing deepest red come half 3 on Sunday, their ape-like herd of scumbag supporters weeping into collective furred hands.

The battle will last 90 minutes. Newcastle will emerge from the ashes, VICTORIOUS. The time grows closer my friends. Shola is resting. SHOLA WILL FEED!!!

• leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate )

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM

…..it’s almost time to welcome the snaggle-toothed inbreds into our stadium for their annual peek at civilization. Before anyone starts spouting off about North East tops dogs etc, I couldn’t give a shite. This is the only fact you need to know: If you are a mackem, and under the age of 40, you have seen your team relegated more times than you’ve seen them beat Newcastle. No further comment Your Honour.

• Dannyo

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM

@planb
    HBA is an odd one, and so are some of his personal fans, he just doesn’t seem to make a mistake.
    My view on HBA is purely objective. Some would say “HBA was our best player in the 2nd half”, cause he had 2 shots on goal. Sorry, he actually missed the target both times.
    HBA was no better than anyone else. But u’re right, he might need more time, or more minutes on the pitch. Imo, Pardew wouldn’t have qualms with that if our defense was sounder. But as it is now, HBA will put our defense under too much pressure by losing the ball too often, and our defense isn’t very sound atm :/

• alex84

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Dannyo -thats a fair point on Hba but your comment here
    “They refuse to see the times he got dispossed or when he opted to dribble into nothingness rather than pass the ball.”

i do not agree with, he had no options, if you look everyone just stood still, im not being blinded like some people that think he can do no wrong coz he does make poor decisons sometimes, but if you look closely people do tend stop and watch him get surrounded by the other team

• veto

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM

heard simpson was drunk , mouthing off at the weekend that he’s gonna sign for arsenal in the summer , just the rumour doing the rounds anyway . he bloody wishes he was i reckon ,

• williamnelhams

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Hello;

I made a resolution to become an active member on this blog; I made a few comments early on but recently I haven’t bothered. Do you know why?

It seems like 95% of the posters are here just to moan and complain about Pardew and Ashley; slag off some of our players; create their own tactics and transfer targets and argue that HBA should play every game.

It’s become too much for me. I feel sorry for Ed – he writes a piece and no matter what it’s about it’s hijacked by the usual ‘Pardew is crap’, ‘why didn’t HBA start’ occasionally I’ve commented on the article that Ed has wrote but it just gets lost.

It’s not that I don’t agree with what some posters are saying about Pardew etc. it’s just that it’s nonstop. Christ, we’re in 6th place; we’re building a decent team without any prima donnas, we are financially secure – maybe a little credit once in a while. Be honest, would you have expected us to be 6th at this stage of the season? I know for sure I’d be happy if we finished 17th. How many premiership teams have their finances as secure as we do? We are moving in the right direction.

I’m not asking people to stop questioning what happens at NUFC, just to keep it in check.

For the record; I believe Pardew is doing a good job, however, I do believe that he is a very cautious manager. He is always telling the players not to get carried away and I think this gets the players down a bit. I think at half time against Wolves he would have said something like ‘it’s not over yet, keep it tight’ when it may have been better for him to say ‘come on lads, let’s get a few more goals here’. But we don’t know what he said. He obviously isn’t clueless as he has as where we are. If he believes that we need to play cautious then I respect that as he is the manager.

At the moment I am favourable of Ashley, of course renaming SJP is a mistake but it’s the way it is. I do believe he has reinvested the £35million but into other things other than transfers. He is a very wise business who has sorted out our books. When we look at Rangers and Portsmouth we should be very thankful for this.

In my opinion, no-one who puts on the Newcastle shirt should be slagged off. I think there are three players that get the most stick. Obertan, Shola and Williamson. I like Obertan, sure he can be frustrating but he is very good for moving the ball from defence to attack – he offers another outlet for removing pressure rather than hoofing it. Shola is a NUFC legend in my eyes; he can seem slow and sluggish but I’m sure if you asked a CB who had been marking him for 90 minutes they would say that they had a bruising 90 minutes. Williamson is a decent defender – he’s backup to the squad, I think he knows this – he hasn’t done as bad as most people think.

The HBA situation is one that really gets to me – for me, everyone only seems to see the good side of his play not the bad stuff. Pardew is right to leave him out – he is a luxury – I believe that when the strength of our team improves he’ll be playing all the time as we’ll have enough strength to support him but at the moment, the way we play, the position we are in, he is a liability.

The tactics and transfers don’t annoy me too much. Everyone is a critic after all but just because you think it’s best for us to be playing in some odd 4-2-3-1 formation doesn’t mean it’s right. Pardew is a manager, we are not.

Also, just because ‘everyone can see a mistake but Pardew doesn’t’ doesn’t mean we are right – what everyone is looking at might be wrong.

Sorry for having a go. I just wish that everyone wasn’t so negative and more so, I hope that the comments section of this blog are used for commenting on the actual article (I know, I’ve used this article to vent my rage before anyone asks!)

Believe, I’m not sat here thinking everything is rosy at Newcastle but I’m content and we all should be. I think we’re lucky to be where we are, mainly due to Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea being poor. We’re in that midtable group of teams (Everton, Stoke, Scum, Fulham, Villa) and we’re doing the best.

Anyway, that is all. I’m sure I’m probably going to face a backlash. I do wish to continue with my resolution and I hope my comments referring an article aren’t lost in a sea of negativity.

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM

pretty much summed up my hba thoughts. he has so much ability. but he needs to look up and around him more to see what’s going on. and he gives virtually nothing defensively. needs to up his work rate. stand out for the right reasons

• martoon

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM

It never ceases to amaze me the fickleness of people on this blog. A few weeks ago when Willo was returning from injury people were saying he was doing well and starting to form a solid partnership with Colo. I’m the first to admit he had a stinker against Wolves but now people are saying he is to blame for everything and should be sold in the Summer. Surely the truth is he is a good squad player, not first choice and is more comfortable in an aerial battle than against a small quick striker.

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM

William. i know what you mean. several times i comment on an article only for everyone to ignore the article entirely. that said im guilty of getting into non article related debate (as seen here lol)

• jimmymagpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

mmymagpie // Feb 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Strange comment from Ed about the withdrawal of Cisse. He’s been withdrawn from Senegal squad because he has a groin problem, which was being assessed today after the swelling goes down, and he could easily be missing on Sunday. Physios worth their corn don’t take chances with groin strains, especially with athletes who have been doing a lot of work before the strain, and are working hard to fit in to a new environment. I obviously hope that he is fit and it proves only to be a slight problem, especially as Ba was also receiving treatment on his knee when I was down at Benton yesterday. Helping my nephew with some leg work in his efforts to fix up 2 of his young clients with new clubs after being told that they are surplus at NUFC – not an easy job in the current climate as a lot of clubs further down the ladder are on the financial bread-line.
    13 jimmymagpie // Feb 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

We are where we are in a poor league because of the fantastic performances of 2 players – Krul, who has saved us umpteen points, and Ba, whose goal-scoring has won us many points. Even Ferguson admits that his team isn’t playing good football, and they are 2nd by grinding results out, as at Norwich. Outside the top clubs, there is a very thin dividing line between success and failure in this league, as we witnessed against Wolves, who were well worth their point. Krul, in particular, must be kept in the summer!
    14 NathanH NUFC // Feb 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Shola will start anyway, we should all know that by now, as the saying goes “In case of local derby, keep calm and put Shola on” ;D I think Cisse could, and may well make an impact in the second half, if he’s fit that is, especially if 5under1ands defence is tired from dealing with Shola and Ba, he’s wreak havoc
    15 Pek // Feb 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Here here William…… Well said

• catchy in norway

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM

danyo

i think your a little bit blinded by your love a fair with pardew as the guy can do no wrong in your eyes

if you have read the hundreds of comments regarding HBA on this site and others, no one says that he can do no wrong, but his positives out way his negatives but ppl like you who banged on about give obertan a chance he has quality, well i watched the guy week after week do nothing lost the ball way more than HBA does and yet you focus on his weaker points to the game, you all say he is coming back from a bad leg break and use that as a reason not to play him,

what i see in the kid is a player trying to be positive a player who wants the ball unlike obertan a player that has not been given a fair chance to prove himself, but in his little cameo roles has created and scored more than jonas who has played nearly every game, and obertan,

your argument about the defense needing to be sounder is pure class, are you pardew, obertan dosent track back as proved many times this season, and raylor is slow but willing, all 3 have faults but HBA is last in line but with the most ability,

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

@14 i think he’s a decent squad player who can have really good games. he had a nightmare against wolves but many players having had games where nothing goes right at all.
    i think pardew should mix it up. perch against little quicker guys and willo when playing the likes of norwich or stoke. might be hard to implement that idea though. im no manager.
    can we just beat the mackems then go on from there?

• jimmymagpie

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Sorry, I cannot agree about Willo – I’m with every local pundit that I’ve read. He is not good enough for this League! 8 goals conceded in the first 11 games – 30 goals conceded in the next 15, most without Saylor, and I’m afraid that tells the whole story. Without Saylor, we have one of the worst defences in the league – goals against and results tell you this – 8 defeats in the last 15.

• t00ntime

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM

People are all happy about cisse not playing for senegal, but I dont understand why, alright he doesnt have to travel BUT its unconfirmed weather he will be fit or not for sunday. He has a groin injury and even small groin injuries can take over 2weeks.

Also tiote is heading off to africa for a friendly! Which means ge wont be back till friday, jetlag saturday and play sunday… Seems like tiote will be missing.

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

@catchy i think that’s a little unfair.
    dannyo isn’t slagging Ben arfa or even you. just the people who bang on and on about him then disappear after he’s played badly only to reappear just in time to demand to know why he isn’t starting. personally i feel best option on the right is raylor. simply because Simpson needs a little backup.
    this doesn’t mean i worship pardew an think he can do no wrong. just that i see why raylor is started there at the minute

• Toon_Tom

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Toon_Time – the time difference is only 1hour i believe so jetlag shouldnt be an issue with Tiote.

Anywhoo, this guy is a machine, he feels no pain, his cogs will be well and truly oiled for Sunday and he will destroy all that he touches!!!

I once heard Tiote kicked a horse………………………………

that horse is now a giraffe!!!!!

HWTL

• bollance

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

HBA looked a good goal threat against Wolves even though wolves doubled up on him most times he had the ball. Still confident he will come good!

With dangerous players in the team and a faster defence we can play a higher line so if we do lose the ball then the oposition hve less space to counter attack. That should mean we play more of the match in the oposition half

• alex84

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Jimmy whats your take on Ben Arfa not starting? i respect your opinion and just wondered?

i also agree willo will be sold or pushed down the order in the summer.

• stuart no9

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

i have never been pards biggest fan. I think the reasons for that are , in particular are his post match comments and his excuses .I dont blame him for his excuses, as it his job on the line and obviously dosnt want it to sound like it is his fault all the time, however ,excuses can only last so long – if its not ” tired” its “rusty” heaven forbid! if its not rusty its the “ref” if its not the ref its the “other team stopped them from scoring” really! the list is endless. ” a bit rusty” how can they be rusty , they only played 2 weeks ago, train every day , when have they got the time to go rusty? or they are ” tired”. AP never takes the blame! perhaps once he has, but how many POOR performances have we seen ( especially 2nd half ones) this season . that is NOT coincidence, that is poor management.

• catchy in norway

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM

planb’s revenge // Feb 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

iv said all season that raylor should be our right winger, but i think there is a good shout for raylor to be right back and HBA right wing

i think there is another good shout for santon RB ferg LB HBA left wing raylor right wing, im not saying this every week , but against wolves it would have aould us to play more attacking football playing in therre halve ov the pitch

• catchy in norway

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

stuart no9 // Feb 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

EXACTLY

EVERY SUPPOSED POOR TEAM WE HAVE PLAYED HAVE DOMANATED US, WE HAVNT LOOKED A GOOD TEAM AGAINST ANY OV THEM, NOW WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT OUR TEAM??

i think ppl are fooled by the position in the table, well yeh thats this year, but i fear for next year

• t00ntime

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM

@toontom I have never been to africa and seen so the plane journey takes so long I thought it might be more :P. Hope ur right and he plays and plays well on sunday.

On the ben arfa thing, how can u say he is a selfish player? You want obertan to dribble on the ball he never does and people get angry, hba does and people still get angry. On saturday ben arfa made almost no mistakes passing wise, he didmt change the game but had good passes and didnt always dribble he looked more of a team player, the only real mistake he made was when he got caught by there goal and instead of passing it back to simmo to cross in je tried to dribble past the defender and then lost it. 1mistake! But like shola and perch and obertan HBA mistakes are highlighted by some of you. And no one even mentions guthries game on sat… He was the best player on the pitch… For wolves that is

• pedro

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Agree with Catchy – all the options on the right have negatives but on the balance of things HBA offers the most. That said, I still think Pardew has done a pretty good job. And on the subject of Williamson, yes he isn’t really up to it every week and unfortunately the lack of options after Taylor’s injury has meant he has played nearly every game. He will undoubtedly be pushed down the pecking order in the summer when Taylor is fit and we finally sign a new centre half

• Toon_Tom

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Krul~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~Simo~~~Colo~~~Willo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Santon~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Fergy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tiote~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~HBA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Cabaye~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ba~~~~~~~Cisse~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fergy and Santon playing wingbacks, both capable of bombing forward and can provide the width. Very strong attacking formation with Cabs, Benny and the Demba’s but also strong in defense with pottentially 5 accross the back with Tiote infront!!!

• catchy in norway

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

pedro // Feb 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

i feel sorry for willamson, but pardew and the 2 above him new we needed a better repacement in jan, and chose not to, why?? because we are safe this year

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

@catchy
    fair enough. i see sense in everything you’ve said but i don’t see wanton gettin moved to rb. i also think fergy is Jonas’ understudy for left wing duty. can’t wait to see marveaux back fit (next season)

• pedro

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I’m certainly not going to disagree that it was a mistake to not bring in a centre back, and maybe it was because we were safe. Either way with the players available this team can still finish the season strongly and then we can hope for reinforcements in the summer…or maybe im just an optimist

• planb's revenge

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

another squad overhaul on th summer anyone?

• Toon_Tom

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Planb – all depends on where we finish to be honest.

If we dont get into Europe then i can see a couple leaving if monsterous bids come in which the Fat Controler simply cant refuse.

If we grab a Europa spot then i can only see incomings tbh!

We will have to see, but i cant see us ripping our team apart in the summer!!!

heres hoping

• spitfire_

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Pardew doing great job… just like Hughton does it. But Houghton was sacked in the right time and the right person was his successor. I thing that untill the end of season Pardew will have time to persuade anyone that he have plan b and want to make Newcastle game to evolving. Otherwise he must go and then… Brendan Rodgers please.
    Personaly I highly doubt it that Pardew will be sack and Rodgers to came in the Toon but…

• stuart no9

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM

william@12 – if you cant handle debate m8 i suggest this blog is not for you and look for another hobby. If every one agreed with you and you agreed with every body , we wouldnt have a blog. get used to the fact not everyone shares your opinion. you think pards is ok, i think hes shite, but thats my opinion , so what?

• martoon

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

jimmymagpie @19. It is too simplistic to say Willo is playing instead of Saylor therefore it is his fault we have conceded more goals. You could say at about the same time Santon started playing LB instead of Raylor therefore it must be his fault!

• pedro

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

monsterous bids if we are in europe or not and i think we will sell, I just hope if that is the case we get silly money. Grabbing a Europa league spot and only having incomings would be great. I guess as toon supporters we fear the worst

• bollance

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Plan b

Big changes afoot. AP said we can now compete for top class players again and hopefully now we dont have to offer silly money. Apparently agents want their palyer playing for us which would make sence. We are a good pl team which has enhanced the reputations of nearly every player who has played regularly this season