Ben Arfa – Newcastle Sunderland One Of Biggest Rivalries

We knew that Ben Arfa knew a lot about Newcastle,  when he went on strike from his former club Marseilles in August of 2010, and flew over to Newcastle.

Ben Arfa in action at Bolton earlier in the season

That’s when the French International was despairing that Marseilles would not agree to a move for him to Newcastle, but  he was finally brought in on loan later that month.

And then Newcastle manager Alan Pardew had him signed up last January for an estimated £5M to make the deal permanent, even though he was still recovering from the double fracture of his left leg – the good one..

While we don’t expect Ben Arfa to start on Sunday against Sunderland, we think it will be an unchanged team from the one that played Wolves, the Frenchman should get some playing time in the second half against the local rivals.

This is what Ben Arfa, who turns 25 next Wednesday, told the local Newcastle press today:

“For me this what football should be like.” “I find it beautiful in many ways.”

“It’s one of the biggest rivalries that I have come across in football between two sets of fans and two clubs.”

“It is interesting that it exists between two cities.”

It was  good to see Ben Arfa  brought on in the second half last weekend against Wolves, but it’s just a pity we couldn’t get a third goal to win the game, but Ben Arfa looked decent when he was brought on.

His lack of playing time at Newcastle has not diminished the Newcastle fans’ appreciation of  the wonderful play-maker, and the fans were chanting his name in the second half on Saturday, before he was introduced after 65 minutes for the injured Papiss Cisse.

If Ben Arfa does see some playing time on Sunday, it will be his very first taste of the Tyne-Wear derby, and we’re pretty sure he will get playing time on Sunday afternoon.

For the record Ben Arfa has 22 appearances for Newcastle with four good goals and three assists.

• Selbymag

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Morning all, first time I have read any comments for a month as I lost the will to live….
    I was going to pen a 5 year managerial post but Dannyo has beat me to it and in some style. I tip my hat to you sir.
    It takes time to builsd a team / squad to adapt and change footballing styles we are barely 18 month into Pardews tenure and is too early to judge the managers long term plans.
    Ok we have had more than our fair share of luck this season but bloody hell we have had bugger all for the 30 years I can remember.
    I have made a promise to myself that I will not sink to the level of getting drawn into arguments with people on here but just post my views and agreement with like minded indiviual.
    Oh just one thing “hoofball” is a sh*t term even though I agree we are to direct currently
    Keep the faith

• sirtoongospel

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Toon 3 Scum 0

• Selbymag

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I didnt hear any chanting for Ben Arfa sat in the Milburn Stand which was the first time I havent heard it.
    Is this a sign that people are perhaps seeing him less as the 2nd coming??

• ROSHAN

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

hope ben ARFA plays in right wing

• ROSHAN

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

i think PARDEw IS wasting another talent like tevez in our squad and this time its ben ARFA

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

@3:

Selby! Watched the game live here in Holland! Did,nt hear our support at all! I heard the Wolves support but not ours!!!!!

Maybe i am mistaken but i thought at times we were actually playing at Molineux!!!!!

• ROSHAN

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

he wasted talents like tevez and maschareno in west ham now he IS not using ben ARFA s talents to improve our squad s attacking strength

• Neil

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Selbymag – I sit in Milburn paddock on 18 yard line near Gallowgate end and I’ve got to say I heard no chanting either.

Love Ben Arfa’s comment that he doesn’t go to Scumderland because, “There’s nothing there” – Good lad.

• Selbymag

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM

@6 The atmosphere these days is shocking but Saturday was the worst this season. A lot of fans seem to expect the team to give them something to shout about instead of getting behind the lads to lift and inspire.
    I got a bit of grief of my 9 year old son for screaming at Walton who gave an appalling impersonation of a referee. Whilst most just sit and mutter under their breath.
    Obviously it will be bouncing on Sunday and I for one cant bloody wait!!

• SurefootedShola

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I think some on here should give this a read, familiarise yourself with the notion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Oh good ! I thought i was wrong ! Our base support is supposed to be the best in the land! Or at least it used to be!
    Hope they will be louder on Sunday!

• Stuart

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Roshan, how do you decide which letters should be in capitals? haha!

• Selbymag

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Our support based on paying customers is excellant but based on getting behind the team is not good.
    This seems to be the norm everywhere now though unless its for big games Old Trafford is as bad and they get 72k in there.

• bettyswallocks

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Do we want Pardew style football for the next 5 yrs. Turning skilful creative players into defensive minded long ball merchants.

I genuinely believe Pardew has no flair tactics deeply embedded in his mindset hence his obsession with every player being brainwashed to defend.

• Griff-toon

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I dont whant Ben – Arfa to start before he is a bit more unselfish with the ball.

If he just played the safe pass sometimes or looked for the through ball sometimes instead of trying to run with it. Pardew would play him more.

With some patience and choosing the right times to try the spectacular he would get more match sharpnes.

Playing like he is now is not impressing pardew, or me for that matter. I think its more frustrating to watch him dwell on the ball until 3 wolves players closed him down and then just loose the ball over the sideline..

He needs to go a bit back to basic as a footballer in order to get the tuch and speed right. Then gradually he will be more sucsessful with his mazy runs.

If he can do that, and have some patience, his time will come.

• RobertLeeNo.7

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM

He needs games simple as that. 4-3-3 with arfa up top with dembas

• ADAM-NUFC

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Might just be me but a heard a ben arfa chant from level 7 about 2 mins before he came on?

• Shearer.Milburn

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

4-4-2 to begin with, (simpson, willo,collo, santon, jonas, cabaye, tiote, obertan, Ba and cisse) get a grip on the game and hold possession then switch into 4-3-1-2 with obertan coming ofF TO MAKE A 3 man midfield and benny slipping in behind the demba-demba show!!

• mrmcgee

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I sit in the milburn and i heard BenArfa’s name being chanted before he came on, the body of chants were from the leazes corner!

@shearer.milburn, I like you way of thinking, but we cannot go with Obertan, it has to be Raylor, as so many derby’s are won by free kicks. #RyanTaylorOverTheWall

• Shearer.Milburn

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

@mrmcgee… I thought of raylor but I went with gabby for his pace if we need to track back… Demba Ba can strike a mean free kick also….

• IFC.Toon

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM

He has to play on Sunday. ’nuff said.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I,me willing to bet that if we get the Win on Sunday?

Then according to you all Pardew will be doing a great job again!!!!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM

@14:

What do you talk a load of Bollocks!

• davis_toons

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I guess Newcastle fans should be able to know which kind of manager like to play wheat kind of style.

Regardless of the level of football.

And through the years, we have been with different kind of managers and we know should know what kind of style the current manager is playing.

A mix passing is also good like ManUtd game.
    But more often then not they will pass from the back..and midfield will pass amgt themselves to created chances.

• Shearer.Milburn

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I don’t mind winning ugly. I would rather play long ball and win than play like barcelona and lose. 3 points > 0 points