Steven Taylor Still Top Player For Newcastle

We’ve had a decent opportunity to judge how good the two central defense partnerships have been for Newcastle this season.

Steven Taylor – in a mask after breaking his nose earlier in the season

It’s always difficult to judge of course, but we’ve had Coloccini and Steven Taylor at the beginning of the season and Coloccini and Mike Williamson ion there for Newcastle right now.

Taylor ruptured his Achilles against Chelsea in early December, and is not expected to play again this season.

Newcastle have conceded 25 goals in the 14 games since Stephen was injured but of course Mike Williamson didn’t immediately return to the side from his ankle injury and we conceded a poor four goals at Norwich.

That’s when we didn’t have any recognized center-backs available, and Danny Simpson and James Perch did their best in that game, but it wasn’t enough.

But Steven was part of the side that conceded only 8 goals in our first 11 league games, when we were unbeaten but we did concede 8 goals in the Carling Cup ties at Scunthorpe, Nottingham Forest And Blackburn before the Chelsea game.

Maybe the best comparison is that in the games  Steven played in the league this season,  we conceded 15 goals in the 14 games,  and since then we have conceded 23 goals in the 12 league games we’ve played.

So when Steven was in the side we averaged close to one goal a game conceded, and since he’s been out it’s been just less than two goals a game.

It would appear that Coloccini and Steven Taylor would be first choice when Steven is fit again, but we expect  Newcastle to bring in a top center-back in the summer to increase the competition at the back, and we’d love to see a top full-back brought in too.

Steven talked today about the good support he is getting at Newcastle:

“The good thing for me is I’ve got a manager and a coaching staff who always get me into the dressing room and amongst the lads,” “I still feel part of it, which is a massive thing for me.”

“When you get injured you can get forgotten about but fair play to the rest of the lads, they have been spot on and worked with me every single day.” “I’m out of the boot now, back walking and back in the gym, and back to hard work.”

“It’s going to be a long, hard recovery. I know some people say it’s the worst injury you can get as a footballer, but I’m taking it in my stride. I’m relishing the chance to come back and I can’t wait to come back fitter, stronger and better than I was before.”

“I’m hoping to be involved in the start of the next pre-season.”  “The manager’s very good at making me feel involved and put me in amongst everybody,” “I love meeting the fans, that’s part and parcel of me,”

“I’ve always been that way since I got into the first team.”   “I relate to the fans very well and they’ve been magnificent to me.”

Alan Pardew is turning out to be a very good man-manager, and he had Steven involved fully in the four day trip to Tenerife in January, when Steven was still in the protective boot.

Pardew knows that the 26 year-old could be a very important player for Newcastle next season, but Steven has had a lot of injuries in the last two years, which started when he picked  up that knee injury in January of 2010 against WBA at home, in our promotion season.

Then he had the shoulder injury picked up at Carlisle in the pre-season friendly in July, and it’s been an injury ravaged time at Newcastle since then, and he even broke his nose earlier this season, so we have to hope that Steven has much better luck starting next season.

For the record, Steven has a total of 202 appearances for Newcastle with thirteen goals.

Comments welcome.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM

another Piece where i cannot post anything else then vitriol

• Dannyo

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Saylor is our Mr. Newcastle. A player who plays more openhearted and with passion is something u rarely see. Shearer used to be that player, now it’s Saylor.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Man-management definetly seems to be Pardew’s thing.

A shame it’s not tactics – but I still have faith he will learn. Gotta have faith, ’cause we cannot afford loosing our manager this early.

We need stability.

HWTL

• davybtoon

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Indian ppl r getting sick of the negative bloggers n soon this site will b left with the 6/7 ppl who jus like to moan about anything Nufc

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Dayvb, who is people since you speak in general terms?

I would like to think we don’t agree with you either and nor the happy go lucky bloggers.

• davybtoon

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Jesper not tactics no tactics played part in our 11 game unbeaten run or our 3-0 win over man utd n all our over victorys, yes we’ve lost games some ppl honestly u go on like we shud never lose never concede n win every game 9-0 welcome to real football n not football manager on the pc

• davybtoon

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Gorgonzola n catchy r 2 of the worst infact Iam happy to b corrected here but most the neggers don’t actually go to the match

• redondo77

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM

wow

• redondo77

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM

if there are no neggers, this blog will be boring , probably 50 comments max

• Indian Magpie

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I am sorry but if going to the match is something mandatory to have an opinion then i am definitely non opiniated.

11 game unbeaten run,

well QPR, Wolves, Arsenal, tottenham could have easily beaten us, Fulham could have drawn. sunderland (11 v 11) we were poor

wolves were cursing their luck and we are celebrating that it was pardwho’s genius that got us victory

• Indian Magpie

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

i am sorry,

But what does a neggar mean?

• Indian Magpie

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM

i know what a NAGGER is

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I don’t go to the matches either – don’t live in Newcastle nor Britain.

But I have a 32″ telly with a great view of it all – I bet I sometimes can see better than you 😉

We played well against Man Utd. and Stoke, but lay it to rest that’s two out of 26 played (not counting the cup).

The league table lie and we’re definitely having an off season half way through with the same mistakes being made over and over again and the side not changing one bid.

• davybtoon

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Redondo I really don’t mind some negative comments not everyone is gonna agree, but when ppl saying we’re not doin good enough n manager needs to go r joke the same ppl who said we wud b relegated makes u
    Ppl like angryman who hated Ashly negative but he was sensible n I had it out with many times he don’t even come on anymore
    N gt89 b Wwjbd who giv great comments for either side r comin on as much
    Billson n me may b positive but over the last few seasons we’ve been proved ryt on 90% of things

• Tsunki

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Indian it means NEGATIVE in the sense that posts are purely made for no other reason but to tear down and detract for the sake of it without offering any constructive comment.

• redondo77

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM

neggers, neggars, naggers, whatever. here is my opinion:

Back to topic, I agree Saylor is one of the top defender in the game. Willo seems not to comfortable with the ball, he seems panicking everytime the ball near him. Probably because he has been absent for long time.

• sirtoongospel

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

davybtoon, i said the same thing last week. hey never go to games, miss LOADS that goes on and then come on here and slate players and manager. It’s a joke

• Indian Magpie

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM

i have this feeling that PARDon Who, will start Ameobi and he will get sent off like he should have done last game

• davybtoon

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Jesper yea league table lies we’ve only been top 7 all season, so u think we shud b much lower in the league yet your moaning fantastic

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

A lot of us seems to be called “NEGGARS” or what ever directly or indirectly, just because we don’t agree with the “happy go lucky” bloggers.

It’s starting to pi** me off!!! and I am usually a very calm and open minded person.

I can understand why some don’t come on so much anymore!!!

• redondo77

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

davyb

I was called many things by many ppl here since I defended MA, DL, AP, Shola, predicting 4th place finish in summer or 35m AC money not being spent ridiculously.
    They can say whatever they want and honestly I kinda like arguing with them, it’s fun, they kinda light up the blog heheheheh they give us off topic arguments

• Griff-toon

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Interesting stats there Ed! Its nice to see in numbers the comparison between our players.

Williamson is not first choice and I think Taylors best contribution is his never give up attitude and he gives the defensive line more confidence and grit.

Regarding Pardew and his tactics. The table does not lie. Pardew has applied the best tactic for the squad he has and it has given us all the points we have. Some ppl have short memories. This season the effort of the players has been mutch higher than before.

Pardew is an exelent man-manager and gets the best out of the “forgotten” players.

We are having a great season thanks to Pardew. Best manager since Bobby.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

sir Toon gospel,

can you shed some light on the game at the weekend against Wolves, Heroes and zeroes, since we cant have a an opinion.

P.S
    I became a toon fan watching footy on tele under SBR

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

davyb, I my opinion your not very good at putting two and two together.

If very high in the league, for you it means, we’re performing very well. The league doesn’t say anything about performance alone.

You can perform very bad and still collect all three points my friend – as a short term solution it’s okay, but not long term.

That’s my view on it.

• sirtoongospel

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I’m not saying they aren’t fans, but my point was that if they saw games live it gives you a different perspective on certain things.

We are 6th and have every chance of staying there. That would be incredible. What I can’t understand is how people can think Pardew is poor. What other team could play the likes of Raylor, Simmo, Obertan, Best, Shola, and now Willo pretty much all season and be top 6? If AVB, Wenger, Redknapp had these players that they were using week in week out, no way on this earth would they be higher up the table than Pardew has us. So far he is manager of the year by an absolute mile.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

jesperfuglsang

Epitome of you comment #24 – The blackburn game

• davybtoon

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Jesper The neggers r no stop moaning if it’s not Ashly, it’s money or players or managers or fans n most of there points r usually proved wrong with time

• martoon

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Indian & Jesper – Why can you not understand that we are slowly building a team. \You are right, at times the football has not been great and some matches we have rode our luck. BUT there have been times when we have played some quite good stuff and have been unlucky. We have come quite a long way in 2 years and obviously our progression rate will decrease (an exponential if you know maths). Yes the Wolves match was very frustrating but hopefully we will strengthen the squad and the quality of football will get better and we can accomodate players like HBA and capitulations like the Wolves match will occur less.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM

martoon in economic terms – you mean increasind at at decreasing rate

• SurefootedShola

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

ochytoon & TDS, wherever you are.

As I gathered, tenuous testimonials.

Alan Pardew has reached his apex and is now on the dip, albeit at the very start of it. We’ll see during the next 10 months. Winter 2012 will roll around and we’ll be hovering in mid-table obscurity, still playing ugly football, then you’ll all turn on him.

Pardew should send a scout out looking for a fresh four-leaf clover, perhaps?

• sirtoongospel

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Indian, your opinion is more than welcome of course. It’s the utter drivel you spout that bothers people.

Look at our squad, ask yourself honestly how many are top 4 or 5 players, and see who you get. I guarantee nearly everyone gets the same few players. Krul, Colo, Cheick, Cabaye (possibly), Ba and potentially Cisse. HBA obviously has the ability too

6/7 at best. Then you have the decent players like santon who is improving all the time, Jonas, Raylor and Guthrie. Then you are struggling. But we are in 6th!!! How Pardew can get stick with that group of players in 6th is beyond me. He has our lads working hard and getting the best they can from every game. I would rathet that than overpaid arseholes like Michael Owen taking us down.

We can’t compete with the top 3 or 4 over a season, but we have taken something from Arsenal, Spurs this season and taken 4 from Man U!!!

Why can’t we take the bad results on the chin, and enjoy where we are without player bashing and pulling the manager to bits?

• SurefootedShola

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

All I’m saying is, don’t bank on finishing top 7 this season, and certainly don’t get too comfortable around the European places, not with Jeff Tracy at the helm.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Martoon, in short it is because I don’t agree with you 🙂 I happy about our league position if you just look at it isolated.

But performance wise and tactically I am not that happy.

• SurefootedShola

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM

sirtoongospel

Cabaye’s only a mere possibly because of what Pardew has transformed him into. How about making the ball do the work? So our players don’t need to run themselves into the ground each match, because that’s catching up with us too. We’re nowhere near as energetic and mentally agile, as early season. Fatigue is rearing it’s head, and once Pardew’s mantra of exceptional hard work fails, what’s left?

• martoon

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

If I remember rightly Jeff Tracey was a multi Billionaire which is how he funded Tracey Island & International Rescue. He would be a good owner 😉

• SurefootedShola

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM

martoon

The ‘helm’ was referring to the managers role, the likeness is uncanny 😉

• martoon

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Jesper – how can you be so sure that if we used the tactics you advocate we would do any better? This is real football not Championship Manager!

• sirtoongospel

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Surefooted,

When I watch Cabaye closely, he looks to move the ball really quickly, you can see he wants to play down the channels, but we have 2 very defensive and static wingers. He can’t play the way he wants to as our wingers aren’t good enough (or attacking enough?) So he tends to look at the front 2, who are better than the wingers movement wise and even more so with Cisse. But for sure, as well as at least 2 good defenders, I feel we need 2 fast wingers with end product. Otherwise Cabaye and to a bigger extent HBA will be ruined. That’s not down to PArdew just yet, but after the Summer if we still haver the same wingers then it’s on his shoulders. 2 years in the job is enough to get the players you need. But at the minute, we only have half a team to play the way we want to.

• thepict

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Indian , all hail to the Mackem Slayer. Noo reason why Shola should have been sent off .