The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Can Ryan Taylor Do It Again On Sunday?

11:40 am, Thursday, March 1st, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 102 Comments

Ryan Taylor has already booked his place in the annals of Newcastle  United, because of  his fabulous goal from a free kick that gave Newcastle their 1-0 win over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on August 2oth.

Ryan Taylor - after scoring winning goal last August

Ryan has spoken on the Newcastle United web-site today, and he’s likely to keep his place on the right wing on Sunday, because of his ability to cross the ball well, and also of course for being able to take those great free kicks, along with French International Yohan Cabaye.

Ryan has been a stunning success this season for Newcastle, and it says a lot about his character  that he’s fought so well to become a regular in the Newcastle side this season, and he’s made 27 appearances and scored three great goals so far this season.

This is what Ryan had to say about the upcoming derby game on Sunday:

“It’s a one-off game and if we can get six points off Sunderland then it would be fantastic,”   “We’ve got to knuckle down this week. Training has got to be spot on, because you can’t switch on and off.”

“You can’t expect to train badly all week and then turn up on Sunday and beat Sunderland.”  “They are a tough team, so training has to be spot on and if it is then I know that come Sunday it will all fall into place.”

“If we can beat them then we open that gap up between us and the teams below a little bit more.”  “We are a few points ahead of Liverpool and it’s looking okay at the minute, but if we can beat Sunderland then, who knows?”

“We can go on to bigger and better things.”  “Europe is in our sights now.”  “We had a bit of time to ourselves to have a bit of a rest and get ourselves together, but it was nice to come back training,”

“Training has been quite good and the lads seem like they are right at it because they know how much this weekend means, and we’ve got to get things right.”

“Yes, it was disappointing to lose a two-goal lead against Wolves, but at the end of the day we didn’t lose a football match and there were positives to take out of it into Sunderland.”

“It’s always tough to put together any sort of unbeaten run in the Premier League, but we have got a good one at home and we take it into the biggest game of the season for us so far.”

“We want to keep that run going, keep our stadium a tough place to come and that will be no different on Sunday.”

One worry we have about the game on Sunday is that even if Newcastle go ahead in the game, like say 2-0, there’s no guarantee we will be able to hold onto that lead.

That’s unless our defense and team  play a lot better than we did in that  second half  last Saturday against Wolves.

But enough of the gloom – here’s  a  look at Ryan’s great goal last August, and maybe  he can serve up another one on Sunday to make it four great goals this season?

We hope so.

Tags: Newcastle News · Ryan Taylor

102 responses so far ↓

• 1 LewSpi // Mar 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Thanks for the shoutout Colo, it’s nice to know somebody reads my posts. ;-)

Davy, I know that’s what I was thinking (re. Ranger), I don’t know the exact terms of his bail, but I’m fairly sure they don’t say he’s allowed to go to be in Perdu on a Wednesday at like 2:00am.

Regarding, Raylor talking about “knuckling down this week”, I was slightly worried when Santon and Abeid came to an after party, where there was copious amounts of alcohol, strippers and cocaine (I never touched any, I’m a good lad ;-) ),and they were there until sunrise(ish). I hope “Newcastle” doesn’t go to these young lads’ heads and they don’t get led down the path which we have seen one or two follow in the past.

• 2 New kingdom United // Mar 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Raylor has to go right back….HBA right wing. Raylor for me our Player of the season. Some real fight in this guy. Great accuracy.

Raylor……….. Saylor……….. Colo………… Santon
    HBA………….. Cabaye……….. Tiote……….. Guti
    ………………………..Cisse………..Ba…………………..

• 3 Brutooon // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Ryan Taylor should be our Right Back !!!!!!

He got an extra height therefore will be a bonus

• 4 davybtoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Rtaylor has been great this season I wud have him ryt back

• 5 davybtoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Danny Simpson is my pet hate ATM along with willo, we can’t drop willo simply bcoz there’s no one to replace him but we can drop Simpson

• 6 davybtoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM

A 40 year old mackem has seen is team relegated more times than they’ve beat Newcastle

• 7 New kingdom United // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Perch for Willo? there must be some punishment.

• 8 ted // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Pardew should bite the bullet and bench Simpson and play raylor at rightback simpsons prone to make mistakes and he unsettles the defense its bad enough having williamson the big wally tiptoeing around the backline sunday isnt the time or the place to play these two clowns together.

• 9 Klatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Ba seems to have taken a deeper “playmaker” role since Papiss joined,the three games so far he’s been outside the box more than inside. He however seems to like it as it allows him to collect the ball and run at the defenders. This got me thinking,why not play the 433 and put him in that role Leon Best had @ LW? Not confined to the touchline but free to roam. Yes i heard the “why put our top-scorer on the wing” argument but his game is about receiving the ball and running with it,not standing in the box waiting for non-existant service. Just a thought

HWTL

• 10 check the toastie // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Lewspi – are you for real, dont tell me some of the lads are in bars until after 2am, with a big match coming up, would be amazed if this was allowed?

• 11 bettyswallocks // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I would like to agree with previous posts from Beattie and Norway etc.

Our style of football is based on grinding out results at the expense of suppressing all flair and flowing football from players that could excite and entertain if allowed the freedom to do so.

With our current squad I am sure the likes of Wenger Redknap ferguson Benitez Jol etc. etc. would be able to produce good results with a far more attractive style of play.

• 12 check the toastie // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Ryan Taylor cant run by the way, if we play him in front of simpson again we will be luck to get away with a point, must not play at the weekend for me, simply not good enough, has no energy whatsoever.

Need some pace on the flanks hopefully benny but obertan would be an improvement on Raylor for me, and i expect pardew to pick him.

• 13 ted // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

We have two top class strikers who dont get any service into the box wolves was a prime example cisse was having to play out on the wing because raylor cannot, why pardew the wally bought obertan just to keep the bench warm i suppose and simpson the clown cannot cross the ball because hes shite the rightside is a disaster zone.

• 14 Mark29Hungary // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Come on Ryan, score another brilliant goal, like that free kick!

He should replace Danny “goal-line” Simpson, like this:

————–Krul
    Santon, Willo, Colo, Raylor
    ——–Cabaye, Tioté
    HBA———————Jonas
    ——-Cissé——–Ba

• 15 check the toastie // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

ted – I Agree the Rightside needs a complete overhaul, either Santon Switched and Fergie/Raylor is played LB, or Jonas switched and then Arfa is played in front of Santon, need something doing and doing sharpish before it costs us more points,

i just hope willlo can refind some form, as hes having a nightmare currently, hope he pops up with a goal sunday, come on Mikey boy, if dabizas and Andy O Brien can do it you can.

• 16 EuannnBnW // Mar 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Lewspi
    I’m sorry but I find it hard to believe that you were out with any of them players last night … As Santon was captaining the Italy u21s last night and ranger , even though he is daft , would not be daft enough to break his curfew …
    Also my pet hate ATM is willo, his pOsitioning is so poor but something that’s getting to me is Hba not getting a fair crack.
    He tears teams apart in an instant eg man city when he hit te post, Blackburn goal…
    He makes runs that no one else can make in our team

• 17 Rotonda heights // Mar 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM

bettyswallockks

spot on, but that’s what we’re stick with, a very very stubborn manager.

The technical players we have shoud be freed from their strait jackets, played in a 433 and allowed to express themselves and impose themselves on the opposition.

It just doesn’t make any sense this 442 and long ball with a high line approach.

• 18 cyprus // Mar 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Raylor has been tried at RB, with disastrous results, ‘contributing’ to many conceded goals from that position for which he was bought from Wigan. When Simpson came in he shored up that side, it’s hard to understand why so many slag him. Is he the best right back? No. does he (like Raylor) give his all? Yes. Raylor’s free kicks have been a disappointment generally. That work should be taken up by Ba – Cabaye. Conclusion: If we are to move on, Raylor must be a squad player, not the ‘stunning’ revelation you state, Ed. He’s, unfortunately, the natural person to be sacrificed in order to give a permanent place to HBA. BTW, he was at fault when we conceded our first goal vs. Wolves.

• 19 chris_g // Mar 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM

check the toastie // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, I didn’t believe it either. Nile Ranger’s bail conditions state that he has to remain outside central Newcastle between the hours of 9pm and 7am (according to BBC website). Also, Papiss Cisse and Mehdi Abeid are both Muslims, so I don’t think they’d be hanging out in bars either!

• 20 ParisToon // Mar 1, 2012 at 1:35 PM

just heard from a colleague of mine here in paris that PSG are interested in Cabaye apparently there was an enquiry at the back end of the Jan window but with the manager issues at PSG the enquiry was not followed through.
    As for Sunday Pards will probably give HBA a start in a hope that he ‘proves’ to his manager he can cut the mustard especially as its a derby match.

• 21 ParisToon // Mar 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM

On another point, I worked with a guy called Billy when I was at Swannies back in the 80’s he had a mate call Ted and they were both Mackems season ticket holders at joker park……are these the same geezers??

• 22 martoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 1:51 PM

ParisToon – I don’t think HBA will start when all the ‘agricultural’ tackles will be flying about. I would put my mortgage on same starting 11 as against Wolves except if Cisse is not fit then Shola the mackem slayer.
    There are a lot of Bill & Ted’s in the world and I suspect these are kids because of the way they talk (none of us would call eachother a ‘mug’) and they don’t normally come on the blog until after school.

• 23 LewSpi // Mar 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Ha, why on earth would I lie? I got a picture with Jimmy Bullard, I’ll post it if you’s still doubt? But the Newcastle lads wouldn’t let me get a photo. You could try the Dirtiz @Perdu’s photo album on Facebook once its posted, but again, I doubt they’ll have let the photographer take any pictures of them.

• 24 ParisToon // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

@22 Point taken but agricultural tackles or not I think Pards has to give the opportunity to HBA that if he wants a regular place in the team the best stage to do it is in derby match. Who is the ref on Sunday, this could be an important factor.

• 25 check the toastie // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:12 PM

lewpsi – because you’re a liar?

• 26 check the toastie // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Plus i was playing golf with Pardew, Ranger, and Santon first thing this morning, me and pards beat the young uns 4&3, couldnt believe it, Ranger turned up in plus fours, looked well gangster.

• 27 martoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM

ParisToon – the ref is Mike Dean (don’t know if that is good or bad)
    LewSpi why on earth would Jimmy Bullard go drinking in Newcastle – he is a London lad currently playing for Ipswich?

• 28 BringBackTav // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Krul
    Simpson Willo Colo Santon
    _____Tiote__Cabaye____
    Raylor_____BA____Jonas
    _________Cisse________

AP will not drop Simpson as much as we all cry for it so if Raylor starts he’ll be on the right and Obertan should come on late for pace.

• 29 check the toastie // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Mike Dean might be a good thing, he knows he owes us one from the chelski game, old skinny git, Montgomery Burns lookalike.

• 30 EuannnBnW // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM

well, please explain how Santon was there @23 Lewspi even though he was Captaining Italy u21s?
    and explain how you spoke to him and told him about the derby etc, stop lying you’re desperately trying to make yourself seem popular,
    and Agreed @24 ParisToon, if he’s going to ensure he’s a regular sunday is the ideal game to be doing it.

• 31 jesperfuglsang // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Hi guys, what’s new?

Do you think there will be any surprises for the Sunday game?

Good surprises I mean ;) lol

• 32 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Jesper….In the derby there will always be surprises….not sure what they’ll be, but let’s hope they’re good!

• 33 Dannyo // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Oh, Luiz slamming Lampard saying he has to listen to the coach. He’s deffo not gonna win a popularity award by stating it, but it confirms everyones thoughts that there are a central group of players running the club.
    Barton and Nolan anyone?
    I hope Chelsea can get rid, a club shouldn’t be like that. Make an example of them and show players around the world that a player is never as big as the club.

• 34 martoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Nothing much to report Jesper apart from LewSpi reckons half the Newcastle squad along with Jimmy Bullard were out with him on the p*ss last night ;-)

• 35 billy // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM

ParisToon you mean you actually worked alongside platers and welders and theres me thinking you were a football scout!

• 36 LewSpi // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Be serious, why on earth would I make it up? Colo-Sus said in the previous thread that I was ‘one of the most valid posters’ on here.

If you dont believe me, fair enough, but here is the picture of Jimmy Bullard.

twitter.com/LewSpi/status/175227966664605696/photo/1

• 37 ted // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM

By that ParisToon can talk some barry white regailing people about billy and ted the swanhunter makems old ParisToon sounds like a red and whiter with his contacts in europe scouting cabaye more tripe first it was Ba for PSG now cabaye he sounds like an ex welder they can talk underwater!

• 38 Beattie25 // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I’ve for one believe Lewspi as he is an honest blogger who has had many an opportunity in the past to post b*ll*cks but never has. This is the first time to my memory he has mentioned seeing the lads out.

Did he say they were out on the lash or that they were in a night club?

I just think the young, single lads were out on the pull and they were all tucked in bed, banging away, and in training today.

Its not a crime (unless your Ranger) to go out at night.

• 39 Toon_Tom // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Beattie > it was at an after party, full of narcotics, women and booze.

Sounds like my kitchen on a saturday night ;)

• 40 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Sounds like a good night out to me

• 41 bob // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

ParisToon you forgot billy and teds labourer bob who used to do the grinding and picking all the welding rod ends up,but i dont remember joker park!

• 42 EuannnBnW // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

How could he have spoken to Santon ? He was in Italy last night ?
    Beattie I like your posts but you can’t believe that they were there ? Seriously?

• 43 Toon_Tom // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

definitely Ibiza – team building exercise ;)

• 44 LewSpi // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Cheers Beattie, nah I didn’t say they were out on the lash, I said they were out in Perdu, I then said the worrying part was they came back to a club ‘lock in’ on the quayside until about 4/5 o’clock where there was sh*t happening that I wouldn’t want our promising CM and LB being exposed to. I actually offered to get Mehdi a drink (trying to be a big shot ha), and he said he wasn’t drinking.

• 45 Beattie25 // Mar 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Jimmy Bullard is obviously a part time dealer.

He had to think of something after all those injuries.

I saw Simmo on a plane the other today, causin commotion because of where they sat him. He said to the stewardess ‘I can’t sit in this seat, you have to move me!’
    She said ‘Why Mr Simpson?’
    He said ‘Cos every time i’m on the wing and theres a little bit of speed I shit myself’

True story

• 46 Toon_Tom // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Beattie > CLASS :D

• 47 bob // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM

LewSpi he probably thought you were a nufta trying it on by offering to buy him a drink!

• 48 Toon_Tom // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I saw Tiote get shot the other day –
    The funeral for the bullet is Saturday.

I saw Tiote kick a horse once –
    That horse is now a Giraffe

• 49 ParisToon // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Bob, Billy worked in the drawing office and originally came from Sunderland shipbuilders before being laid off and like Ted knew bugger all about football!

• 50 Beattie25 // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Santon was in France Tuesday night. A morning flight and he would be back in tyneside yesterday afternoon.

No training today as the lads travel back from their internationals. It easy to see the plausibility of Lewspi

• 51 Toon_Tom // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM

True Story

• 52 LewSpi // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Haha he might have done Bob. I think he was a bit distracted by the birds hovering around him.

EuannnBnW – Santon played on Tuesday, in France, in a 1-1 draw and he came off at half time.

• 53 bob // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM

ParisToon aye he worked with Robson green!

• 54 Beattie25 // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I guarentee that Santon, Abied and Papiss saw 1 episode of Geordie Shore and thought ‘I need a bit of that’.

They probably all went out and used Ranger as protection.

Ranger will have one of his boys carrying that tag of his.

• 55 Beattie25 // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Who would you rather play a 1 legged ostrich, a fresh water trout, Steven Hawking on a moped or Danny Simspon?

• 56 Beattie25 // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I was just thinking guys and I know this is going to be random but for all those good shouts about Obertan playing as a striker… what about him at RB?

I know I will get hammered for this but he is fast, has good positional sense, is strong, can tackle and bomb forward. The only think he lacks is a decent head when he gets into a forward position.

Actually no, its a terrible idea but I still think he would be better than Simmo

• 57 Beattie25 // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Who would you prefer? A romanian gyspy child with gout, a hungry hungry hippo, and packet of skittles or Willo at CB?

• 58 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Hungry hungry hippo all day long

• 59 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Toon_tom…best team building exercise ever. Nothing will bring guys together like narcotics, booze and women….amen

• 60 martoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

LewSpi – Looks like I owe you an apology – I’m still puzzled why Jimmy Bullard was there?
    Beattie Steven Hawking on a moped and a packet of skittles (but not the blue ones)!

• 61 ted // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM

When im sitting in box 530 tucking into my 3 course meal it better be rounded off with an NUFC win or the kid serving wont get his usual 50 quid tip!

• 62 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM

So….what’s everyone’s hopes for the non newcastle fixture this weekend. Arsenal vs Liverpool is a tricky one….are we still chasing those in front of us or are we just happy to get some daylight with those behind us?

• 63 Beattie25 // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Seen as many think we have some terrible players, how about the worst ever NUFC team? Its gonna be hard but lets have a go

GK – John Karelse
    RB- Danny Simpson
    CB- Marcelinho
    CB- Jean-Alain Boumsong
    LB- Alessandro Pistone
    RM- Brian Pinas
    CM- Silvio MAric
    CM- Des Hamilton
    LM- Albert Luque
    CF- Stephane Guivarc’h
    CF- Andreas Andersson

Tasty

Near misses – Perchinho, Des Hamilton, Mike Williamson, Lionel Perez, Christian Bassedas etc….

• 64 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Beattie…Have you always thought Williamson was so bad? I though he generally did ok last season. Not fantastic, but ok. He has been shocking this year though.

• 65 -Tendo- // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM

haha beattie….seeing danny in there made me p1ss myself, so true tho i hope he either learns to tackle instead of backing off or gets sold….

• 66 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

It’s laughable someone would need to comment on a mid twenties defender having to learn to tackle

• 67 ToonDownSouth // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Luque scored one against the Mackems. I like to think that alone keeps him safe from any ‘worst elevens’.

• 68 ted // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Beattie25 Wayne fereday, shinton,trewick,brock,megson carney john anderson george riley billy whitehurst shoulder, brown, ferris theres been some beauties!

• 69 LewSpi // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Thats fine Martoon.

Stoke Norwich draw
    Arsenal Liverpool draw
    West brom to beat Chelsea
    And of course a toon win

An ideal weekend.

• 70 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Sounds good to me LewSpi…fingers crossed and all that

• 71 -Tendo- // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

but you know its neccessary awhen talking bout simmo

• 72 Marty-Toon // Mar 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

What about AP playing Kadar at CB?
    Seemingly played very well in national side.
    Is he worse than Willo?no chance,and the lad as some speed too.
    The lad musta taken a dump in AP’s shoes to be outa favour :-)
    Would like to see santon at RB Kadar with Collo and fergie at LB
    We could have raylor Cabaye Tiote Hba/Jonas
    BA BA black sheep and the big sissy up front
    That team would stuff em mackems and Keanos dog

• 73 soap // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM

In regards to Simpson, I believe he has his qualities. But, he certainly is a liability at times; mostly whenever he receives the ball facing forward. I wonder how Uchida from Schalke would fair if he was brought in. Quick and comfortable on the ball.

If we make Europe, I would be happy to see something like this. I agree that Cabaye works wonders when he is in a three man midfield… However, I don’t think Guthrie would fit in that particularly well. Maybe a sneaky bid for Honda to complement Uchida?

—————–Krul—————
    Uchida S Taylor Colo Santon
    —————Tiote—————-
    ——–Cabaye—-Honda——-
    Ben Arfa———————Guti
    ——————Ba—————–

I’m not so sure the right wing would work defensively, but in attack I feel Uchida and Ben Arfa would link splendidly. Minus the personnel, this formation would eliminate the issue we currently have of bypassing the midfield (think this is simpson’s biggest flaw).

Comments?

• 74 Marty-Toon // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Beattie 25
    I would ave Simmo over beresford as he and Warren on the left leaked goals like there was no tomorrow.
    They were fun goin forward but useless defending.
    Ramage was another,Babayaro
    We really haven’t had great wing backs thru the years
    Kluivert was also dreadful

• 75 ted // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Before Mr keegan came along NUFC used to battle to stay in the old 2nd divison most seasons when the old gallowgate end had an open sewer for a toilet!

• 76 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Clyne–Saylor–Collo–Santon
    —————Tiote
    ——–Cabaye–Martin
    HBA————————-Ba
    —————Cisse

• 78 innoculator // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

This ‘get Ryan Taylor into the starting line-up wherever he can fit’ seems strange… And only really started when he was injured and unavailable. And when Pardew was singing his praises as a ‘top player’. I just don’t think he’s good enough to start anywhere, although obviously a decent back-up for pretty much everywhere… Pardew has often talked about Obertan ability to ease pressure with his pace and ball carrying, and I think we’ll need this against the Mackems. And after 25-odd games, there should be no reason to upset the back four and move Simmo out of it… I hope we’ll bring someone with a bit more technical ability for RB in the summer, but for now he has to do.

• 79 innoculator // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Also I wonder if anyone remembers Ryan Taylor in his first season at RB. Shocking. He unfortunately lack the speed, positioning and strength to play there. He’s better played higher up the pitch with less responsibility to defend, however not at the expense of two of our three ball carriers (Benny, Gabby and Jonas). In my humble opinion.

• 80 innoculator // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Seeing as I’m here… Dyer8, Clyne is a great shout. His composure on the ball is unreal for such a young lad.

• 81 soap // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

@ibiza – I enjoy Ba and Cisse playing together, but I really don’t think our midfield works with two strikers. Most of the chances Ba and Cisse have fashioned have been of their own accord. Out of the two, I think Ba is better equipped to operate a single striker role… It could be possible to push Ben Arfa forward and replace Guti with Ba and play a Robben/Ribery style of Attacking midfielders.That would be terrifying for a defense, with Ben Afra and Ba drifting infield in the final third, and consistently switching. I worry how our defense would fair with such a forward heavy formation.

• 82 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

@soap…very true. It’ll be nice to be able to complain about which players not to play rather than about which mediocre players we are playing wouldn’t it?

I’m still in shock at how great our defence was at the start of the season compared to now. I know we lost Saylor…but the difference is shocking

• 83 max // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM

of course

• 84 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM

@Max….?

• 85 LewSpi // Mar 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Ibizatoon

It’s good to see you wrote ‘It will be nice’ rather than ‘It would be nice’. Good positivity sir, A+.

• 86 Tsunki // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I just thought I’d congratulate all on not falling for or answering the stupidity of you-know-who. Keep it up and they will soon disappear. :)

• 87 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Thanks LewSpi….we have lots of reasons to be positive!

Tsunki….They who shall not be named!

• 88 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Anyone seen O’Neil’s story on SS. He thinks they’re up to it….let’s smash them and put them back where they belong

• 89 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM

No? Me neither

• 90 soap // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM

@ibiza and lew – “Will” is key… i think it is inevitable that the squad will thicken not just in numbers, but in quality over the summer. And two seasons down the road, we will see our Youth prospects blooming in emphatic fashion. We have quality already, but it comes in glimpses, passing movements usually end with a poor pass. I must say at times the forward movement of the midfield is shockingly inadequate, very static. The team needs fluidity, and I know many people hoped Ben Arfa would provide it. Pardew’s 4-4-2 formation requires width to stay fluid, and it is non existent on the right side of the pitch. Simpson kills our attacking fluidity dead. His overlapping runs are rare and when they usually end in a counter attack down his flank after a poor cross. I respect his defensive abilities though. He perhaps gives his man too much space on the wing, but he tracks back well and has a knack for being in the right place. A solid squad player, and a prospect for an away start on european nights. But, our link play on the right is poor with him in the side.

• 91 soap // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

unwashed are still due for a good drumming though hah.

• 92 soap // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Also, when I think about what I typed above… We are competing for a Champions League spot… God help the league when we get it right!

• 93 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM

@91…You have the most non-mackem name going on this blog. Dirty bast*rds don’t know what soap is!

I agree with you…overall our squad is improving. The quality of football is not good enough yet and is not consistent, but it will be. These things do take time.

Simpson has a role to play, but he can’t be in the future starting 11. Do you think he’ll sit on the bench? Probably not

• 94 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

@Soap 92….I get what you’re saying, however, I do think we’ve been “lucky” in the sense other teams you’d expect to do well (Mainly Chelsea and Arsenal) haven’t been. If they’re playing as they should I think we’d struggle to keep the pace. For now anyway

• 95 IPToon // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Im up in newcastle this weekend with a small group for my birthday, I have however ended up with two spare tickets for the game (2 pull outs) in the Gallowgate end. I paid £45 for them so if somebody wants to take them both off me for £90 that would be sweet !!

• 96 LewSpi // Mar 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM

IPToon, I call dibs, my mate was asking if I knew a place to get one for him, I’ll ask him now, give me 10 minutes.

• 97 LewSpi // Mar 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Nah, he needs 3, sorry mate.

• 98 IPToon // Mar 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

ok let me no asap.

yours for the meantime, free cancellation policy!

• 99 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM

IPToon….is there a customer satisfaction guarantee?

• 100 IPToon // Mar 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM

lol no.

The only guarantee i give you is that it will either be the best or worst £45 or £90 you will spend this year.

• 101 Ibizatoon // Mar 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Ahhh….that’s what I figured. I’m only interested in the guaranteed win tickets :) But thanks

• 102 IPToon // Mar 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Im now off out but i will read the comments when i get in and the first one to say they want the tickets can have them

previous post: Newcastle Fans The Difference On Sunday Against Sunderland