Newcastle Can Do Double Over Sunderland

Fabricio Coloccini  has talked today about the derby game at St. James’ Park on Sunday afternoon, against local rivals Sunderland.

Fabricio Coloccini – Newcastle captain in double over Sunderland?

The Argentine has one game under his belt as captain of  Newcastle in the derby games, and he has a 1-0 win to show for it, and that’s  through that fantastic free kick by Ryan Taylor at the Stadium of Light in August, in our second league game of the season.

Now Newcastle have a chance to get the double over Sunderland for the first time since the 2005-2006 season, and it seems the lads are up for it.

This is what Fabricio had to say about the game today:

“When we won the first game, people were stopping me in the street to tell me how pleased they were,” “I am sure the same thing will happen again if we win this weekend.”

“People tell me that if you are a winning captain against Sunderland, what you have achieved is never forgotten. I have won one game against them as captain – now I want to make it two.”

“Getting to be captain of Newcastle is one of the best things that has happened in my career. It is not just that you are the captain for the rest of the players in the dressing room”

“You are also the captain for the whole of the club and the whole of the city. I suppose it is matches like this that show you just how important a position that is.”

“I am very proud to be captain here, and I would love to be a captain that has won two matches against Sunderland in the same season. I know that would make the fans happy and it would make me happy too.”

“I can still remember my first derby game very strongly,”  “People had told me what to expect, but the noise from the Newcastle fans was still something very special.”

“The game has an atmosphere all of its own – it is almost like playing back in South America because it is so noisy and passionate. That is probably the best comparison I can make.”

“It is nice to be able to play in a game like this, but it is only nice at the end if you win. Like always, that is the most important thing.”   “I have seen Sunderland a few times and they are starting to do well now,”

“They seem to have improved under their new manager. But we have been doing well all season and there is no reason at all why we should be worried about this game.”

“We have had a great season, but it is not finished yet. There are still some big things we can achieve, and one of the biggest would be beating Sunderland again. It would be a special three points.”

Newcastle have only two home defeats this season, to Chelsea and West Brom, and we have won four of   our  five games at home this year, so the stats look fairly good.

And at 6th top of the table,  Newcastle are three places above Sunderland, and these are the games Newcastle must win – at home to a side lower in the league table –  if we are to hold onto our 6th spot in the league table and a possible Europa League place next season.

Of course we always have to beat Sunderland, wherever we are in the league table.

But Sunderland are also a much better team under Martin O’Neill than they ever were when Steve Bruce was in charge, even though it’s exactly the same squad of players.

Sunderland have won 10 of their 16 matches with the former Wycombe Wanderers, Leicester City, Celtic and Aston Villa manager in charge, and it will be a tough game on Sunday, there’s  no doubt about that.

The fixture last year ended up with Newcastle 3-0 up at the half, 5-0 up after 90 minutes, and a goal conceded in injury time made the result 5-1 – which was the biggest Newcastle win over Sunderland for over 50 years, and captain Kevin Nolan got a hat trick.

We’ll settle for a win on Sunday by any margin, and the double,  but a win is surely what Newcastle badly need on Sunday.

• Colo-Sus

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Heres an interesting theory of mine.

Recently alot of people on here have been complaining about our style of play. Hoofball etc.

I think the reason for this is the impatience of us fans ”In part” not in full. AI go to as many home games as I can afford and watch every game on either tv or the dodgy web, and a running theme from our crowd is the impatient groan that goes up when we knock it around a bit. This usually leads to someone banging it up front and us loosing the ball.
    I believe alot of fans are still stuck in the ”Entertainers” mindframe, and cannot abide it if we are not going on attack after attack.
    I would honeslty prefer us to win by small margins and have 60% + possesion in a game.
    We have the players to patiently build up moves but alot of fans get restless and the usual shouts go up and there tends to be an impatience in the ground.
    Lets be real, this season we have been superb, we are far exceeding what many thought we would achieve and we have a manager that is astute and still learning dont forget. At Saints pardew played a great brand of football, and I think that will come here, but us fans have to display one trait that the majority of toon fans cannot comprehend

PATIENCE!

Off topic Ben Arfa will come good and his envolvement will increase going forward I believe, look at Aaron Ramsey, its taken him a good while to get back playing week in week out after his leg break. I think we will win on Sunday Im quietly confident. Sundewrland loosing that heavily against WBA shows that Oneil is not the god they claim he is, its still pretty much the same team Bruce had, and if we are at full strength I think we have their number.
    HWTL

• Klatoon

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Colo was at AC Milan right? someone ought to ask him if he ever saw a mackem during his short stint there 🙂

• mikenotiades

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM

@Iwantcurlyhair2 wrote to Milan’s Mayor asking if he had “ever seen a Mackem” …
    Here is the reply:
    pic.twitter.com/B3I0CwTO

• argentoona

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

If we play with composure in front of goal we should be easily winning
    @ Colo – sus totally agree hatem has to much quality to fail
    He will be fine the sooner the better 😉

• Klatoon

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

mikenotiades,that cracked me up! So we have no sightings by Santon and the mayor of milan. Colo’s answer for the hattrick

• SuperShearer

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

@Colo-Sus, great post mate. I’m stunned by some of the comments on here critiquing Pardew and his style of football. We’re 6th in the table and making the kind of signings that most clubs would dream of. Like you said I’ll take small margin wins every day of the week. You don’t see Utd fans pissing and moaning when they don’t win convincingly. We have to stick by the team and the manager because if we do we can see the days of Sir Bobby and KK.

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Repost

Colo-Sus, lets go with what you wrote and for the sake of the argument lets say you’re right. Can you explain to me why we’re stuck with playing 4-4-2. Mind you that we’re not very good at keeping possession or play pass and move football in the confinement of 4-4-2 – that’s view of some of us that complain mate.

Pardew explained in the summer that he wanted to play attacking pass and move style of play and went for continental players in order to do so.

These are the player he bought:

HBA
    Cabaye
    Marveaux
    Obertan
    Abeid
    Ba
    Santon
    Papisto

On top of that we have:

Jonas
    Tiote

Why are we playing 4-4-2 hoofball kind of football. Mind you that Papisto just recently signed.

Does it really add up to you and can you honestly say Pardew have learned from past mistakes and what tells you he’ll change from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 in the future?

Common sense would dictate that he plays a 4-3-3 variation since we don’t have the right players for 4-4-2.

What gives my friend? Some of us are just confused.

• planbillytedbob

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

i think we have a great opportunity to teach the sum not to get ahead of themselves. their manager may be good but the team is piss poor. west brom showed us that. maybe the honeymoon period is over for o’neil and sunderland and they’ll revert back to the cack team they are.

• Toon in Nairobi

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM

out of topic but y not perchy as 3rd striker ahead of Shola
    “A large part of the morning’s session focused around finishing practice, with Newcastle keen to make their presence felt in the final third of the pitch. And defender James Perch was the star of the show – banging them in from all angles, with both feet – and giving his teammates a striking lesson.”

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM

planbillytedbob, we have to win on Sunday. I think it’s really important for our confidence.

I think we are at an impasse right now – both the team and us supporters.

I definitely have a hard time following the “we’re doing great, look at the league table” brigade.

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Toon in Nairobi
    Nice one 😉 lol

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM

@1:

I can see the point your trying to make!

A lot on here don,t have any patience unfortunately.

This one game on sunday is more important than that ten day period last year when we had:

Man shitty away Manure away and Chelski at home! All one after the other! This one ten day period together with the ANC competition! ( Tiote gone again! ). If we had managed to get more out of those three fixtures, and key players had,nt been in Africa then we would be top 4 at this moment!

Top six i,me happy with, but then according to some on here my expectations are Mediocre!

I honestly believe that some think we should be pushing for the title this year and Champions League and not just trying to go as high as possible!
    If we are so bad then why are other clubs casting their eyes and expressing an interest in buying our players! There are even some on here calling for Pardew to be sacked! How ridiculous can you get?

This team is still in the “work in progress”! stage but if you read this blog on a regular basis like i do! The word Patience just does,nt come to mind!
    Earlier words like: “Fickle”! “Impatient”! and ” English Vocabulary”!
    Some are incapable of stringing a sentence together in a debate and reduce themselves to calling names, which is disappointing and has made many people quit using this media! NOT ME!

My skin is thicker and i shall never stop this blog as it is my only way to support the lads whilst being so far away from Newcastle in my daily life!

The game on Sunday is important because of the history of the Derby over the last few years! And all the Passion and Media attention that goes with it!

We did,nt lose the game against Wolves, some of forgotten we still got a point! But, it was the way the team just stopped playing in the second half which shocked a lot of fans, not good if you happen to be sat on the terrace at the time!
    Although watching the game live, our supporters were like cardboard cut-outs as they were so still ! If Ashley had dropped his guts i would of probably of heard it across here on the Live coverage on Dutch T.V.

The game on Sunday is one that people look forward to every year! I just hope that we can snap out of the crap form that we,ve had for the last few weeks!

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM

NEWEXPATMAGPIE, i think if you go through Ed’s posts and look at the arguments you’ll find that the critic is about:

a) that we’re 6th mostly down to luck. Meaning no one would have thought we would be higher.

b) Pardew’s stubbornness

c) Pardew won’t “kill his darlings”!

d) Past mistakes not rectified

e) complacency by the “we’re doing great, look at the league table” brigade

f) we’re playing 4-4-2 with a squad that should be playing 4-3-3

g) we hoof the ball instead of pass and move

h) HBA has become the victim of Pardew’s tactics

There are probably more, but these are the main issues. It has nothing to do with high expectations, more so the fear of complacency.

• Colo-Sus

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM

@Jesper

I see what you are saying,

I believe that Pardew, and the players want to play that attractive brand of football, but like I said it will take us a little while to get there, it requires work and patience.
    It would be stupid to throw players into an unfamiliar system straight away as the tactical side of it requires a great deal of work.
    I think Pardew and Carr are buying players for the future and trying to mold this club to a footballing philosophy.
    The reason I think he is stivking with 442 at the moment is a situational one.
    The team he picks ”by th look of ot” is based on the following,
    1. Loyalty (ie raylor,perch) – players that have done well for him
    2. Hard work (Reason HBA struggles to get in)
    3. Winning

Pardew unbelievably holds winning games over anything else. it Doesnt matter how you get it done as long as you get it done.

I think you will see a development in our mentality and style of play over the coming seasons but it will take time, as players adapt grow and learn each others games.

You listed all of our new signings…exactly! It might appear from results that the team is gelled and settled, however in order to play the 433 attacking style, players need almost telepathic understanding.

Its just my opinion, but i feel if we all just trust in what the club is doing and show patience, we will develop as a club and a team.
    Lets encourage the players to play football and not gewt on their backs if they arent bombing forward like headless chickens.

HWTL

• Colo-Sus

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

@Jesper

on HBA, Pardew, Carver et al watch him in training every single day of the week, therefore they must not see him fitting in just yet.

I dont think its anything to do with his ”darlings”

He dropped Obertan when his form dipped for example. Ryan Taylor has been great this season on the most part and has deserved his place in the team. Pardews love of protecting our full backs makes perfect sense!

Simpson is an average right back and needs help with cover on a rewgualr basis, and Santon has only played prem football for a matter of months.

I reckon next season you will see a hell of a lot more of HBA, Simo will be gone and Santon will have developed a hell of a lot more. That cover is still needed asd Spurs away showed, we got slaughtered on the break and we can be frail at the back.

We will invest in defense this summer allowing ”luxury players” like HBA, to get more game time.

Ii think Pardew just wants us to be a solid unit and fair play imho.

The football will come
    have faith mate

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Colo-Sus

It’s not that I disagree with your reasoning – in spirit I am actually with you 🙂 lol

It is just the part about 4-4-2 and patience I don’t quite comprehend. The players I listed a used to a variation of 4-3-3 before they came here. So for the sake of patience we want them to fit into a 4-4-2 formation.

Until January we didn’t really have two good enough strikers for a 4-4-2 – HBA is an ACM or a Trequartista, not a striker.

I don’t think a 4-3-3 variation require telepathic understanding. It’s not rocket science. The Dutch and Danish National team does it and most teams in the top four of any of the major European leagues does it.

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Colo-Sus
    I don’t think fullbacks should be protected – no babysitting. You cannot afford that at this level.

The CB on the other hand need safeguarding from our CM and that has not happened recently.

I don’t know how HBA is doing in training or if he’s fully fit yet, but I would like to see him from start in a 4-3-3 variation.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Lads:
    Respect all your views and comments and possible solutions to our present;;

“Major”? problems with our sixth place in the league! And hope we don,t start sliding in the next few weeks!

With a loss on Sunday and more uneccessary Three match bans or unexpected absentees to Africa or Outer Mongolia or where-ever it may be! A slide will be on the way, plus more gloom on here!
    A win on Sunday is more important than a lot of people realise even if its only 1-0 !!!! The Ref is no friend of ours either having screwed us on severeal occasions in ther past!!!!

• Colo-Sus

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

@jesper

yeah fair play i see your point there,

I do feel that we will improve though i think thats the underlying theme.
    Like i said I think the reason behind persisting with 442 I down to Raylor, HBA and Jonas.

Pards like Raylor which i get as hes done well this season and puts a shift in.

Jonas is kind of the same, however i think until last weekend hed been on a poor run of form.

HBA is obvuisly talented and I think Pardew would love to feel confident in starting him every week. You could see that from the way he tried to fire him up on Sat before he came on v Wolves.

He just must not be tivking the right boxes in training with his work rate and covering. Fair enough, even the likes of Valencia, Nani, Bale, Lennon etc put a shift in in cover.

I think Benny will get there in the end, some goo points there pal cheers for the reply 🙂

• Colo-Sus

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Jesper

I agree the full backs shouldnt need protecting I was totally agreeing on that

However my point is that the current full backs we have ”Need” protecting as they are not good enough in defense.

Simmo is weak link inho and Santon is still very young and new to the EPL. He will be a real player soon though i think and that cover will not be required.

As i said if we get a quality RB or Lb in the summer i think youll see alot more of HBA.

Yeah i agree on the CM’s as well. The best game Tiote and Cabaye had was when we hammered Man U.

Tiote ran the show and just sat in fron of the back four. It gave Cabaye more room to Get forward as well. Thats what we need

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Nice chatting to you there Colo-Sus; some really good commends 🙂

A fullback and a CB or probably a priority in the summer no doubt about it.

HBA is an enigma for me, and one that you would really like to solve 😉 lol

The Sunderland on Sunday on the other hand is a major priority I think. All this a side, we really have to win that one.

I just hope Pardew mix it up a bit, ’cause lately we have become a bit predictable. We need to start playing our own game and give them something to think about.

Maybe that’ll take the heat of Simmo, Raylor and Willo a bit 😉