Alan Pardew In Toon With Newcastle Fans

Alan has talked today about knowing exactly what Newcastle fans are saying and thinking, at any given time.

John Carver – keeps Pardew up to date on what fans are saying

That’s good and of course, and  with Geordies John Carver and Steve Stone on his staff,  he will be told what’s going on with the fans all the time – after all John and Steve are Newcastle fans too.

This is what Alan said today in the Daily Telegraph:

“There’s nothing I don’t know about what’s going on in the town – how they feel about us, how they feel about the club, how they feel about removing the sign at the ground, how they feel about the performance at Spurs and how they feel about this game,”

“They are probably looking at our results and we are looking at theirs but it’s not about Newcastle finishing above Sunderland. For me, it’s about finishing higher than we did last year, to progress and have a great season.”

“O’Neill has done an unbelievable job,” “I saw him a couple of times in a social environment before he went to Sunderland and I thought he looked ready to return. Taking the job has inspired him.”

“In today’s age, as a manager, you have to be very single-minded, you have to be strong mentally to cope with some of the criticism, the personal criticism that comes your way – and it has become too personal,”

It’s a really tough job to be a football manager in England, and there is so much criticism that’s given to the managers, most of it being unfair.

But that’s the kind of job it is, and it’s no place for those who cannot take the heat, real heat, and we’ve noticed Alan is very calm and measured whether we have won or lost the game in his post-match TV interviews, and that’s very good, and not unlike Chris Hughton before him.

Alan talked about his Assistant manager John Carver,  who has lots of experience as a Newcastle coach.

John rose in the ranks and he was very successful being the right-hand man of a certain former  Newcastle manager – the great Bobby Robson – when Newcastle were flying high in the European Champions League.

Alan continued:

“I didn’t fear the job. But I didn’t know what I’d find.” “He gives me the psyche of the fan,” “He’s generally grumpy about something, he will always come in and have a gripe, in a nice way.”

There has been less and less to gripe about since Pardew’s succeeded Chris Hughton. The appointment was widely criticized but Pardew was confident in his ability and knew what he wanted.

“I had a good record, good experience, I worked well with young players – and I want to win something,” “I don’t want to finish ninth in the Premier League. There will be a season, somewhere down the line, when ninth will be ‘thank god for that’.”

“That season will come – a run of injuries, it’s not working, you get sucked into a war down the bottom and the middle of the table will seem like a haven.” “We need to buy players who are going to have value, we don’t buy 31-year-olds,”

“Those players are not on our agenda at all. Newcastle have made mistakes in the past in doing that and we won’t do it again.”

“We should strive for better than that and we play in front of 52,000 fans, that will always attract players, we have to use that to our advantage. If I was a player, I’d like to play in our team. The most important thing is to have a team that looks like it’s going forward and we have that.”

Yes, I’d like to play for Newcastle too, the way things are. 😀

And we think it’s a decent strategy to only bring in the younger players, and while not all the deals pay off, most of them will be good buys for the club, and certainly the transfer record over the last couple of years is good.

It seems there are a lot of players that will want to join Newcastle in the summer, and that will be even more true,  if the lads can finish in the top six and qualify for the Europa League next season.

We think Newcastle’s transfer business is all ready to go,  once the season finishes on 13th May, and we expect players to be coming in shortly after the last game of the season at Everton.

Howay The Lads!!

Note:

We want to pass on a message from Thomas Chan, Vice Chairman, The Hong Kong Newcastle United FC Supporters Club.

The Live match vs Mackems is being shown live from Hong Kong at Cable TV CH200/300, and there will be an official Supporters Club gathering begin at 7:30 pm (Hong Kong time) to watch the live match together with some local Toon Army at Trafalgar Bar in Wanchai.

• jayphoto

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Quick note away from the footie – bit civilised on here for once! Actual debates about opposition and tactics and genuine toon fans looking forward to the match!! Its like a throw back to a different time! nice to see!

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM

jay

You’ll start it again, watch out.

I was reading through the comments waiting for it, but it never came lol.

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Back to the game

Can’t see Pardew starting HBA to be honest. I think he’ll want Taylor there, someone who knows the game and what it means to the fans.

HBA is a good subsitute to excite the crowd if needed, get the place roaring again.

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM

like to throw my two cents in on pardew and the style we play……….
    first of all i think pardew has been an absolute revelation to this football club….he has transformed the style and mentality from a slow and mediocre team into a winning team that works for each other and keeps running and throwing their bodies on the line….yes i agree we had our luck, but you have to create your luck and while our style of play has been much debated peeopple forget where we were a couple of seasons ago…..its been amazing going from where we were to actually just mentioning europe…..im so proud being a nufc supporter seing whats happening at the moment (the sjp signs apart)….i back mike ashley and i want him to be succesfull….in the end its our gain…
    stop being fickle and talking about we play crap so and so…..we are sixth, we are competing, we are progressing…united we will get there….
    and yes i think pardew is the man and yes i think he can take us further……howay the lads

• jayphoto

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM

TDS Agree about HBA, i don;t think he’ll start him! At the start of the season i bet this was the game pards look for as soon as the fixtures came out, i know I did! He’ll want what he classes as his strongest, most effective squad! Reckon I can already name the side for sunday down to 2 players! Not sure who he’ll play right mid and not 100% sure if Cisse is fit! Krul, simpson, colo, willo, santon, cabaye, tiote, jonas as ba are certainties, Cisse is a certainty if fit! Not sure if he’ll play taylor , hba or Obertan right mid, i think taylor because it’ll help simpson out but then taylor looked lost against wolves and pards hauled hin off!

• check the toastie

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Raylor should not start he lacks energy and running power/movement and sits just in front of simpson most the game which in turn means our CM have no options when we have the ball, for me its a good shout to have Jonas to help simpson with Benny or fergy over on the left to give the team some pace and directness,

It would be a positive sign if pardew slightly changes his tactics, so we have more control over the game, basically werever sessegnon goes williamson follows and gives him a kick, Collo sweeping up behind, noticed a few times that willo is being left last man, it is a recipe for disaster, Collo has to be cleverer and make sure he sweeps up around behind Willo as he will be skinned at some point.

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I wouldn’t mind Obertan to be honest. He’ll surely be dying for a crack in a big game, to show what he can do.

I really cannot see Bardsley being able to handle his pace.

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

i think raylor on the right would work away from home or against a team where we would expect to be dominated like the man u game….at home he has to start with either benny or obertan…..i would wish for the gaffer though to swap the wingers from time to time just to get opposition full back more to think about….

• ROSHAN

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

i thought our last match of the season will be against man city

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM

i like obertan but dosnt think hes that good on the right…would like to see him either on the left or as the second striker….(but that will be from the bench)

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM

If we manage to clinch Europe I am certain that we will buy quality players. Pardew since he arrived said that to reach Europe was the golden way to attract the best players. We’re nearly there and you can tell that he wants it as much as we do. I really hope we manage it after being in the right position all season if we don’t it will be a big disappointment after the miracle Pardew has performed on our team. I really can’t and never will understand those that call for Pardew’s head after the success we’re having. It not may be the prettiest football but it’s still better than most managers we’ve played under. Once we can buy more quality players for our weakest areas on the pitch I am confident Pardew will play a more attractive passing game.
    He knows what he’s doing and the table doesn’t lie.

Bring on them dirty mackems!!

HWTL

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM

jp..hear hear

• bettyswallocks

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Shearmania

Sorry but I must disagree with you. Hard work and endeavour although vital to competing in P.L. will not be enough to progress to the next level and provide the football most toon fans want to watch.

Pardew is desparate to succeed but our football is not of the modern era with too much defensive mentality.

The best way to win matches in the modern game is to reain possession and attack the opposition with slick creative passing on the ground.

Grabbing a goal and then trying to shut down is not how the top teams play any more.

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM

bettyswallocks…
    i think you totally misunderstand me…..
    we are not a top team and cant see why we suddenly are…we got here so far from hard work and determination…..attractive football is next step..its called progression…
    we all love to watch entertaining football but tell me last time you saw that at sjp…ill tell you – long time ago……stop dreaming…get a reality check…we all wants to see the entertainers days back but its not going to happen overnight……
    this is why all outside fans think of us as deluded and rightly so…..step by step we will get there but for now ill take an ugly win and a european place instead of playing like swansea and a midtable finish……..

• jayphoto

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM

yeah i like obertan aswell! Can’t help feeling we have a better win and draw ration when obertan is on the pitch to when hes not! Its not how he plays (because hes been awful) but the fact that hes on the pitch means teams have so sit a little deeper so he can’t run in behind, it gets our strikers closer to the goal! Without him teams know they can push us up to the half way line and not worry about someone running behind! If i think back, the only player i can remember running clear of a defense through on goal has been obertan against blackburn! Compare that to how many times a game a suarez, aguero or even an odemwingie goes through clear on goal and its shocking!

• Klatoon

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I’d have Ober on the RW,against their 5man midfield we’ll need our wingers to stretch them and Raylor prefers to stay narrow and close to the CM’s.

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:44 PM

ill have raylor either as right back or on the bench

• Beattie25

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Shearermania

We have the components to be a top team if We could use the players in the proper way.

That’s how you take it to the next level.

A change of formation would allow us to be more creative and more of an attacking force.

Sacrificing the sturdiness for a bit of flair is essential in the modern day. We are blessed with fantastic players. If we had the same squad as Bolton, wigan, wolves etc… Then yeah, a defensive approach is acceptable.

We are not playing to our strengths and that is what is infuriating at times. We do not lack the talent just the imagination.

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM

beattie25 you build a foundation from there on you proceed…..we cant suddenly change formation and game plan…..bolton, wigan etc is not where we are in the league…i know what you are saying and i curse as well watching the hoof ball…but i remember too well the downs we had for a long period…and i never seen a nufc team fighting for eachother like this one…..its the first step – remember that……then we’ll kick on..
    give pardew some time….we played in the fizzy-pop leagie a couple of seasons ago…..come on man…

• Colo-Sus

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM

jp

I totally agree with that on pardew, I was saying the exact same thing yesterday, although many didnt agree and started slating our ”hoofball”.

With additions our play will improve to what Pardew wants.

Shearmania
    Agreed on Pardew been saying that for aages on here, glad a few agree.

Great posting today fellas, keep it up. I fthe toon ever need a new manager I vote for a joint application from the Following

Manager-ED (The Daddy)
    Assistants -Shearmania and WWJBD (tactical nouse)
    First team Coaches- Colo-sus, JP, Jayphoto, Jesper.
    Chief Scout – Lewspy
    Physio – Indian (Finally get his chance to sabotage Shola)
    Waterboy – Brutoon (Obvious reasons)

I have only chosen a few but there are many others who could be in this line up. They could be In the scouting/youth setup
    Opinions

• Colo-Sus

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Beattie

Shearmania echos what I was saying to you yesterday mate, We all want to see the kind of football you are describing, but itll take time and more investment. With the current personel we dont have the luxury to not cover certain players.

Id be interested to see your ideas of a formation for Sunday and your starting 11, with a tactical explanation, been a good debate on here today pal, join in your opinionis usually good and considered.

• jayphoto

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM

lol @ colo sus!
    I feel like a scout when I get sent to work the european matches, spend the game watching for 1)unknown players i think wd be good for newcastle and 2) unkown players I think that would be good for my newcastle FM team!

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM

colocus…ill go and resign from my current job asap…lol

• Colo-Sus

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Beattie

Sorry you also get into my management team as a coach, (your advocation of sexy football would be much needed)

🙂

just a bit of fun lads

• Beattie25

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM

This part if the interview upset me. I hope it was taken out of context as it alludes to that we may (in the future) not be aiming as high as we should.

Injuries, poor form and a run of bad luck are part and parcel of the game but the top teams come through it and always end up top 6. Never have man ure, arsenal, chelski etc… In the past 10 years battled against relegation and been thankful to finish 9th. It is hardly moving forward.

If this happens in the future then questions would surely be asked about Pardew.

Our current situation echoes these sentiments. Poor form, injuries and bad luck yet if we finished 9th this season many would see it as an outrage.

I may be nit picking but I’d like to hear your thoughts.

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

beattie……liverpool …explain that one

• shearermania

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

well boys i sincere enjoyed the real football talk on here tonight but its midnight here in victoria, australia so im off to bed as im up early working……catch you later….

• Colo-Sus

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Shearmania

good example with Liverpool there totally agree

• steve

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I said this last week after wolves but I’l say it again, this match will define the rest of our season and I hope Pardew and the players know it.

A win would give us all a massive lift and I reckon we will kick on and get European football next season.

Draw and I feel we will be destined for 7th place, maybe nick a euro spot with more of the same up and down performances.

Lose and a fear a backlash for Pardew. A confidence drop in the squad and fan pressure could see us slip right down the table.

This is our cup final this season. Make sure the players know it Pardew or on your head be it…

• Beattie25

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Also to Colo-sus and Shearermania.

I totally agree with both of you.

Changing a football club takes time and the current issues are not pardews fault. He has to work with what he has got.

However my nagging concern lays with the lack of evolution this season and pardews lack of experimentation.

He seems unwilling to take a risk and this is upsetting at times. I love the fight in the team but there needs to be more risk taking in order to evolve.

I know these things take time, and if I had seen a glimpse of attractive football this season I would be encouraged but it has been awful from august onwards IMO.

I have faith Pardew is the right man for the job, he like the the team though, needs to evolve and take a few risks.

• jayphoto

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

i think for me, Pardew is 2 seasons into a 5 year contract of what essentially is a 5 year plan! What needs to be looked at are the following:
    Have we improved in the 2nd season compared to the first?
    Are the players being brought in better than the ones they are replacing?
    Does the club look like its progressing in all areas?
    Personally, i think we look a much better side this year when fully strength than last season, results would also back that up i think! We brought in some great players that are still learning the english game and should be dynamite next year! Pardews also given younger players game time, Abeid, Vuckic, Ferguson and Sameobi all look like they will break into the first team squad for next season! Been a long time since we had 5 or 6 players in our first team that came from the youth team (adding krul and taylor)
    If we progress next season, the same as we have this season then top 4 is a realistic possibility, think pardews doing a great job in a business where results come before performances! (just ask owen coyle or martinez, they play some great stuff) Also, should we choose to get rid of Pardew, we would literally become (again) the laughing stock of european football! we’ve all slated huddersfield for sacking clarkie, well at least he had the highest budget in the league, pardew has us in the same league position as huddersfield but without spending nearly the budget they have compared to league averages!

• Colo-Sus

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Beattie

Thats a fair point,

I just dont think we have been in a position to afford risks really, its a tough one..

I just think its down to Pardew approching it game by game at the moment. However I do think slighlty more invention is needed. I think Sunday is screaming for Ben Arfa to be involved but as a number 10

Beattie

I posted this team earlier, Shearmania felt it lacked wide cover, my argument was that the three CM’s would provide that especially with Tiote as Anchor..What you think..

============Kul============
    Raylor===Colo====Wilo==Santon
    =====Cabaye==Tiote==Jonas====
    ===========HBA===========
    =======Ba======Cisse======

• Colo-Sus

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Jayphoto

That is absolutely 200% spot on mate

Here here

• martoon

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Steve @29 – That makes a lot of sense which I think will be reflected in the starting lineup. i.e. AP will not want to lose the game so I suspect same team as started against Wolves or even more defensive with 5 in midfield and Cisse on bench.

• steve

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM

That is a fair shout martoon, it’s not what I would do but it does seem like typical Pardew: try hard to control the game, be solid and not lose rather than taking risk’s and attack the opponents.

• Colo-Sus

Raylor
    Jonas
    De Jong

Dream Scenario I know but why not dream

• steve

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

If we do go with a 5-man midfield to match them like for like I would hope that includes a place for Hatem. My main fear would be a midfield five of Raylor, Guthrie, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas. So negative 🙁

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

shearermania

You say attractive football is the next step. So that’s an admittance that what we see now is anything but.W

What makes you think pardew has that in his locker to suddenly bring to the table at any given time?

We have Cabaye, Benny , Cisse, Tiote, BA, Krul, Colo, Santon, Jonas etc. What is stopping Pardew playing attractive football now. These are harldly ”hoofers”.

what is the style of football running throught the club going to be: A high line, long ball, 442 and kicking people as we are currently seeing or the fast free flowing football on the deck in a 433 or 451 we were allegedy promised?

• Rotonda heights

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Colo-Sus

wouldn’t that team be something. But we have a manager who will play Raylor and Perch before Benny.

• lordjoesnow

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Hugo Viana has been called up to the Euro 2012 squad!!!!!! He’s matured so well in Portugal the last 2 seasons