If We Have To Die On The Pitch To Win – We Have To Die On The Pitch

Chieck Tiote arrived back on Tyneside on Thursday after playing for the Ivory Coast in their 0-0 draw with Equatorial Guinea in Abidjan.

Cheick Tiote – in action against Wolves

And Cheick is starting to understand what it means to play for Newcastle,  and he says today that  Newcastle United players are prepared to “die on the pitch” in order to win the game tomorrow afternoon against local rivals Sunderland.

Well said Cheick! 😀

Tiote and Cabaye must win the midfield battle, and Sunderland will have Lee Cattermole doing his stuff in the middle, and we hope they can tame this guy like we did when we blasted them 5-1 in last season’s fixture.

Tiote had this to say to the local press today:

“We have to win every tackle.” “If we have to die on the pitch to win, we have to die on the pitch, that is what we have to do to win the game.”

“If you get a yellow card you get one. It cannot stop me from playing the game in my style.” “I have to work well for the team.”

“The most important part of any team is in the middle of the pitch.” “If we do everything in that area we can win the game.”   “I am back and ready.”

“Everybody knows this game is so important for the fans, the manager – everyone.” “We have to stay focused. We have to think about tomorrow and nothing else.”

“We must do everything to win this game.” “It was important to beat them back in August and it set us up. Last week against Wolves we were 2-0 up and drew – against Sunderland we cannot do the same thing. We have to stay focused.”

“The fans have reminded me what this game means, but the history? Well I know about it, it’s something I have learned since being here.” “When I arrived I did not know any of it, but now I will never ever forget it.”

“I can say that is the same for every player.” “Newcastle against Sunderland is the biggest game for this club, it does not get any bigger.” “We have big derby games for the Ivory Coast. They are big, but not the same.”

“In Africa the games are played in a different culture, but the fans here make the derby incredible, you do not see it anywhere else.” “It will be great if we win 5-1, again but as long as we win that is important.”

Good words there from our midfield enforcer.

Tiote – Mr. T to the fans – sat out training yesterday, so he could recover from the long round trip he had made back to his home country this week.

But Cheick played very well last season in this same fixture, and  Newcastle will win the game tomorrow if Cabaye and Tiote can be at, or somehow near their best against Sunderland.

If the defense can be tight and not let in any silly goals,  and Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse can be sharp in front of goal,  we will have every chance of doing the double over Sunderland tomorrow afternoon, and then the celebrations can begin.

Howay The Lads!!

• gorgonzola

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM

AMEN to that…

• ROSHAN

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:43 AM

ROSTED MATCH STARTS TOMMAROW AT 5 30 PM IST

• geordiesteve520

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

If that quote doesn’t go down in the annals of Derby Day history then nothing will – what a man!

• Spuggy

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Here Here, but don’t get a red in the first 10 mins. Boy have we missed our midfield tank. I think Cabaye and Tiote will have a good game tomorrow – but I am a little concerned about is going 442 against their 451.

We need to bag a couple of goals then switch to 451.

• planbillytedbob

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

tiote always knows how to say the right things.
    but i genuinely think he’d die for any club h plays for. a passionate.player and a double hard b*stard to boot

• ROSHAN

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

AND ITS LIVE ON ESPN

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I see a Tiote red card coming (;

And what incredible news to wake up to. Fantastic stuff. I would have bet money that Colo would have ben off in the summer.

Very happy to accept how wrong I was.

• Level 7 Hero

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

What a quote.

• cla5hb0y68

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

That kind of rhetoric can come back and bite us royally on the arse. (Malcolm MacDonald, 74 cup final anyone?) It’s starting to sound like we need pumping up for a derby game and if that’s the case then god help us.

• check the toastie

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Mr Tiote wouldnt have lost to Rocky thats for sure, think Mr T as a nickname is playing his toughness down. He is class, love him to bits, if hes on song 2moro easy win and twatermole sent off.

• check the toastie

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM

There is some seriously critical people on here, now even tiote shouldnt be quoted as saying he would die for the club, oh my god its pure class, shows how much it means to him, get behind the team and players for god sake man.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM

When the boogeyman goes to bed he checks Under it for tiote!!

• Ian Magpie

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Never fear lads the Tank is charged and up for this one! There isn’t another player i would rather have beside me in the trenches than the Tank! CMOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Papi_Demba

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

The Bison, The Beast, The Enforcer oh evn Chuck Norris would polish Tiote”s boots!!……….I just hope HBA gets a chance to prove himself and fire up SJP

• Level 7 Hero

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Its make me cringe when 4-5 years ago we had the likes of Geremi, Owen, Viduka & Butt… Didnt give a fcuk about the club, absolute money grabbers who were only here because we would pay them the most. Never interacted with fans.

Now we have Krul, Colo, Tiote & Ba. They SEEM to love the club, have nothing but good to say about it, the city and the people.
    And its not just them…R.Taylor & Guthrie also seem to love being here, and there are many more. Such a constrast to the Abdouleye Faye & Martins era. Excellent

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Level 7

That era made me completely fall out of love with football. I didn’t go to a single game for a couple of years, and i barely made an effort to watch it on TV.

Seems a long time ago now. I’m willing to treat the Championship season as Year 1, and since then it’s just been up, up & up!

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Just seen an interview on sky sports 2 with vermalen a top quality CB saying how tough he found it play LB and how much he had to change his game, makes me even more impressed with Raylors contribution this season

• Rotonda heights

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM

spuggy

I think Pardew only knows 442, he’s not exactly the experimental type. I can’t wait till we play a 4231 or 433 or even 451which I think will suit our players far better, apart from simpson and williamson.

• Level 7 Hero

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM

@ToonDownSouth

Definetly, I quite enjoyed the Championship season, although I wouldn’t have if we were there for more than just 1 season. Some of the best away games for banter were in the Championship, fans seemed to be more light hearted down there..

I hated that era too, the only player I’ve ever boo’d in a Newcastle shirt, Nicky Butt after the FA Cup semi final V Man Utd. He went so far passed just playing badly that day, no heart, no commitment, didnt even wana be on the pitch, walked straight off after the match without even clapping the fans. Disgusting.

Pleased were lid of them now.

• Level 7 Hero

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Rid*

• JackButler

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Every time Tiote speaks I like the guy even more, with words like that and two of our most important players resigning what a weekend we could be in for 🙂

• tdt

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Dam, arsenal’s defence is crap! Hoping for a draw in this game, well as long as Liverpool don’t win I’ll be happy.

• tdt

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I don’t want to see any players resigning jack! Lol but I do want to see them extend their contracts 🙂

• JackButler

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Can anyone tell me what the fuss is about Charlie Adam?
    I simply don’t see anything in the lad other than the constant fouling

• steve

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

tdt, really not even perch !

• tdt

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Well maybe him!

• tdt

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM

1-1

• JackButler

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM

tdt – lol just realised what I wrote, I’ll just go and stand in the corner with my dunce’s hat on 🙁

• steve

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

liverpool 1 – 1 arsenal

• SurefootedShola

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

One day Suarez will get his comeuppance; hope fans from each club keep hounding him, hopefully out of our league.

• tdt

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Haha don’t worry jack, the power of the hyphen is usually underestimated 😉

• JackButler

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Spearing lucky to still be on the field

• Tsunki

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Perfect timing for both signings methinks. Now ‘Arry will have to raid the kid’s savings for Timmy boy. Game on now.

Right off topic – Anyone know if the free lettering on shirts offer is for web order shirts or can my lad get one at the metrocentre or eldon sq shops today?

• tdt

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Is a draw in this game best for us?

• tdt

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Get demba on a 6 year deal then we’ll be sorted.

• JackButler

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM

tdtd – a draw with a few red cards thrown in would do nicely

• Oleg G

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I think we are looking for a draw in the Liverpool Arsenal game, right? Keep the fools away and not letting Arses to get too far from us.

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Suarez is genuinely a disgusting individual. I’m so glad we don’t have anyone like that in the club.

I remember Jonas used to take the occasional tumble, but that’s out of his game now and we’re better for it.

• israeli_fan

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM

yes oleg draw its the best result… you are genius

• israeli_fan

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM

by the way great news about krul, not too sure about colo.. without saylor next to him he wasnt that good