The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Give Coloccini Whopping £70K/Year To Stay At Club

10:48 am, Sunday, March 4th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Some news of Coloccini’s new contract in the Sunday Sun today.

Fab Coloccini - bumper contract to stay on Tyneside

The Argentine defender was Newcastle’s highest earner at the club before his new deal, and he remains that way.

And the Sunday Sun is reporting he’s on around £70K  a year with his new deal, and that’s a slight  improvement on what he was getting previously.

If this is true,  it shows that owner Mike Ashley is willing to pay out the big bucks to players who deserve those types of wages,  and Fab Coloccini has been an excellent servant to Newcastle United, and that he will continue to be in the future.

Hopefully the Argentine can lead Newcastle back into Europe, which is his stated ambition.

The negotiations had been for a five and a half year deal initially, but both sides seem to have settled on four and a half years, at which time Coloccini will be 34 years-old,  but there is also apparently an optional fifth year in the deal.

Coloccini had this to say in the Sunday Sun this morning:

“It was very important to commit my future,” “I have a long time to look forward to now. Maybe we can bring something good for the fans – I hope in the next four or five years I can bring home something for them.”

“I’m not surprised we have developed into a top team because I had confidence in the team.” “Maybe I thought we would have had to wait two years, but we’re challenging now.”

“We have to keep challenging and keep working hard. All the players want to do the best for the club. We are doing really well, I want to keep going now.”

“The derby is very important. Every derby is important,” “I hope we can win the game and have a happy Sunday with happy fans.”

And we know Alan Pardew was a delighted man yesterday morning at 9:30 am at the Benton Training ground,  when he called the news conference to report that Fab and 23 year-old goalkeeper Tim Krul had signed long term deals to keep them on Tyneside.

Alan praised the leadership of the Argentine:

“He’s not just a great player, he’s a great person to lead this football club,”

“Players look up to him, him securing his future is very, very important. They’re very important players.”

This was excellent news for Newcastle fans yesterday - now we must win the game against Sunderland this afternoon to top it all off.

My bottle of Chardonnay is cooling in the fridge!

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Contracts · Fabricio Coloccini · Tim Krul

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Indian Magpie // Mar 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

any team news etc.

• 2 Sammy Adamobi // Mar 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

If we win today we will finish fourth, if we dont it will be sixth! today can be a real momentum builder!

• 3 GeordieToon89 // Mar 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Right well just got out of hospital after me operation, gutted ive had to sell me ticket :( but ive got ESPN now with surround sound blasting me room so i’ll be bouncing around on me crutches haha

• 4 rknufc // Mar 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM

cant wait!! come on newcastle

• 5 Tiote4PM // Mar 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Surprised at how poor collos English is. If he wants to be a top captain then he needs to improve that and show some commitment to doing so.

• 6 gorgonzola // Mar 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Geordie Toon shame mate why the operation if I may ask?

• 7 Indian Magpie // Mar 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

same team crap!

• 8 nufc_BA // Mar 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Krul; Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini (c), Santon; R Taylor, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez; Cisse, Ba

• 9 nufc_BA // Mar 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Elliot, Perch, Guthrie, Obertan, Ben Arfa, Lovenkrands, Ameobi subs bench

• 10 Spike // Mar 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I think it must be £70k per WEEK, not year.

Us mere mortals dream of £70k per year but I think Collo would have laughed at them if it was all he was offered.

• 11 GeordieToon89 // Mar 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM

———–Krul
    Simo-Wilo-Colo-Santon
    Raylor-Tiote-Cabaye-Jonas
    ——–Cisse-Ba

• 12 GeordieToon89 // Mar 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

gorgonzola – I got a bad tackle on me 10 month ago and snapped me cruciate ligaments and just got my operation y-day morning

• 13 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Mar 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

thats great news collo becomes the lowest paid player in premier league history and stays with us fair play to him,

• 14 geoff777 // Mar 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Ed, Have you seen Colo’s contract?

You don’t no the terms … sick of this blog reporting rumours and press bollox as facts.

Stick a question mark at the end of your titles …

• 15 paul_nufc_87 // Mar 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM

geoff777 if you dont like the content of the site dont come on it this is a fans forum not an official site if you dont want to hear the rumours etc stick to nufc.co.uk

• 16 Gascoigne - Legend // Mar 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Agree Paul_nufc_87, we dont need negative comments FFS Colo’s signed a new contract , geoff777!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

previous post: Newcastle Linked With New Center-Back Target