Cabaye Expects To Win Things At Newcastle – That’s Why I Came Here

Newcastle United have not been part of European competition since the 2006-2007 season.

Yohan Cabaye – I love the football at Newcastle

That’s when Glenn Roeder took over from the sacked Graeme Souness in early February of 2006, and had Newcastle rise to 7th place in the league and win six of our last seven league games to qualify for Europe.

And it will be important for Newcastle to qualify as soon as possible for Europe, to help keep the best players we already have, and also attract other  top players to the club.

Cabaye arrived at Newcastle last summer, and has settled in very well on Tyneside with his wife Fiona and baby daughter Myla, and he has talked today about his love of  life in Newcastle and playing for Newcastle United and their passionate fans.

Yohan Cabaye has been interviewed today and certainly wants European competition:

“We hope it’s not finished yet. We have to keep going and finish the job for us and for the fans.” “From the start the fans have been behind us”  “Every home game we have played with 12 men.”

“We owe it to them to finish the season in style.”  “It’s very friendly here and I really like it in Newcastle.” “For me it’s great. I don’t mind sitting at home, and wouldn’t have a problem with that if I had to.”

“But here I can go out when I want to a restaurant or visit the Metrocentre.” “Sometimes I go out and have dinner in the city or sometimes just at home, I feel safe with my family here.”

“We have a baby so we stay at home a lot, but the city is good for me. I just like the life and the people in Newcastle.”  “I love the football here at Newcastle and the passion of the fans.”

“The football is important and we are having a really nice season, it’s been great. We’ve had some great results.”  “Sunday was more important than the other games.”  “Now we just have to keep going and make something happen this season.”

“I won the double with Lille. I expect to win things.”  “That’s what I came here for. It’s what my aims are here.”  “We just want to finish strongly in the last 11 games.”

“Getting into Europe is the aim of all of the players.”

Newcastle have a decent chance of qualifying for Europe this season, and it’s now down to the last 11 games of the season after collecting 44 points from our first 27 league games- which is not bad at all.

If we do qualify it will be the first time after six seasons of  not being part of the European scene, and that’s just far too long for  a club as famous  as  Newcastle.

As far as winning something,  anything –  if Newcastle win something next year,  it will be the first time since we won the Inter-City Fairs Cup in 1969, a game I attended to see Bobby Moncur lead the lads to victory.

Of course we didn’t know then that Newcastle would have to wait so long for another trophy – 44 years – and the sooner we win one the better for everybody associated with the club.

Howay The Lads!!

• Dannyo

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

We’re on the way Cabs, we’re on the way 😉

• planbillytedbob

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM

see that. ambition. barton take note. cabaye is awesome. when his form picks back up we’ll look really damn good

• GeordieGesus

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Reading between the lines. Cabaye will be off in summer.

• Colo-Sus

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

GeordieGesus

Nailed on hes definatley away, lol!

• planbillytedbob

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

@3&4 definitely. along with hba,santon, ba and krul;-)

• ~Papiss-Toon~

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

@3&4&5

Don’t forget Tiote and Guttierez.

• Pardew's fist pump

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Exodus – we may as well pack it all in, haven’t we?

• alex84

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I think we may see Cabs in a more offensive role next season with 2holding midfielders, he is so much better in an attacking role, he plays to deep for me at the moment.

• planbillytedbob

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

@Alex. i think we’ll look to move to a 4-3-3 or some variation

• Dannyo

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Aye, i can’t see the 4-4-2 keeping up in the new season. We’ll have the players for something different by then, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens.

• wynsleap

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Sorry Cabaye but to win something we have to have everyone firing on all cylinders consistently.
    Unfortunately you are one of a few players who need to up their game and I have to say I have been very disappointed in some of your average performances.
    Onwards and upwards mon ami!

• alex84

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Planbillytedbob, i think so, rumours were looking at more cm’s may back this theory.

Imagine Ben Arfa, tiote, cabaye marv, ba, cisse, santon, colo, saylor…etc awesome!

• planbillytedbob

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

awesome indeed. this corgnet looks like the kind of player we would buy

• mra

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Its true Cabaye hasn’t been at his best or to the level we expect him to be, and in turn isn’t influencing the game as of late. Besides just a dip in form (which most player experience) and coming to grips with a first full season in the EPL, I would offer another reason or way to get him going. Rtaylor must be left out or hand over dead ball duties to Cabaye. This isn’t a knock on Taylor he has been a brilliant squad player this year, but Cabaye seems the type that needs and would benefit from more touches and involvement. He too is brilliant at set pieces and a player (again no offence to Rtaylor) more important to the overall flow of the team. So much of the game is mental and if Cabaye can feel involved more and confidant on set plays, it may filter into the rest of his game.

• Constanstine

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM

One problem about our tactic is the space between the MFs and FWs. Despite all the good words about Cabaye’s talent in passing, Pardew worries to much about defense. He is playing too deep in our own half and many games we saw him ending up chasing ghost. Give that man his natural play.