Newcastle Have To Keep The Momentum Going

Shola Ameobi was the hero for Newcastle on Sunday.

Coloccini ecstatic after Shola equalizes in stoppage time

And it was fitting that  a lad scored the stoppage time equalizer who had been raised on Tyneside, since coming over from Nigeria when he was just 5 years old in 1987.

Ameobi wasn’t feeling well all last week, and missed some of the preparation for the game, but that didn’t stop him coming on, playing well, getting the penalty, which Ba missed, and then scoring the equaliser in the first minute of stoppage time.

You cannot ask much more of Shola than that, but he’s always been great in the local derby game with Sunderland, and that was his 7th goal against the Black Cats in his career which now spans 318 game for Newcastle with 72 goals.

And if Newcastle are going to pick up a lot of points in our last 11 league games of the season, we will need Shola to chip in with his share of the goals:

“I know more than most the effects of the derby – I’m a fan and it’s a game you don’t want to miss or lose.” “You have to get a good result by any means necessary.”

“We have to keep the momentum going now. We kept running at Sunderland and they were scared of that. We have to keep doing it.” “It wasn’t hard for me – I didn’t need any motivation.”

“It was a tough week, I did a bit of light jogging last week.” “It didn’t really go well. I didn’t go to the pre-match routine with the team because I still didn’t feel great.”

“But I was never going to miss the derby.” “Thankfully, I was able to come up with the goal against Sunderland.”

Next up for Newcastle is Arsenal at the Emirates next Monday night and the London side played great last night at home to Milan, and were 3-0 up at the half.

But they couldn’t get that 4th goal which would have sent the game into extra time, after they lost that first game tragically  4-0 in Milan,  so they were eliminated from the  European Champions League last night.

And the good performance didn’t stop manager Arsene Wenger complaining to the officials after the game about something – Arsene is probably the worst loser we’ve ever seen in football. 😀

Arsenal are playing well going forward, but their Achilles heel is still their defense, which is hopeless, and in the game at Liverpool they could have been a number of goals down if the Liverpool players had taken the many chances they  missed.

But Arsenal emerged as 2-1 winners of the game, but we have to hope that any half chances that Demba Ba and Papiss  Cisse get next Monday,  will be converted into goals.

We’d be happy with a point at the Emirates next Monday night, but we have to remember we won the corresponding fixture 1-0 last season, with that headed goal from Andy Carroll just before half time.

Anything is possible when Newcastle play at their top form.

Comments welcome.

• Dannyo

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Aye, i hope we take the 2nd half of the Scum game straight into the Arsenal games.
    It’ll be sorely needed imo.

• Stuart

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

A win against arsenal would be class like, if we want qualify for europe we need to be taking points off arsenal, liverpool and chelsea. Very tough game though.

• alex84

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

match them in midfield and go for it!!

• Colo-Sus

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Before I posta formation for Arsenal, Id like to sgare with you that i received a lovely email from ED yesterday, it basically said that he welcomes people starting discussion on the blog by way of formations etc,, and asking what others think, and that I should no feel put off from it. Thanks Ed again for taking time to write me, much appreciated.

============Krul==============
    Simo====Colo=====Wilo====Santon
    ========Tiote====Perch========
    HBA======Cabaye======Jonas==
    ===========Ba===============

What do people think of that V Arsenal, Maybe Perch/Guthrie/Raylor?

• Toon_Tom

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

if Benny starts lets just pray he starts with the same commitment, determination and skills that he produced against the unwashed, or I can see AP taking him off at half time and not using him for a couple of weeks.

Obertan got a good run of games under his belt to give him that chance, which IMO didnt take.

HBA deserves a good run and I know he will show us ALL how superb he really is and that he could be the catalyst to our push for glory this season.

He just needs to try and help the team as much as he tries to help himself.

• Toon_Tom

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Colu-Sus – kindly remove Perchinho from your line-up and replace with Guthrie 😉

• planbillytedbob

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM

@Colo that’s nice. i like your formation posts they start some discussion

• martoon

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Colo-Sus – I like your team one thing in its favour is that it only has 11 players unlike some yesterday 😉 Good strong midfield and strong left side to nullify Walcott!

• Colo-Sus

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM

@plan

Thanks mate,

I thought it was a lovely touch from Ed, I took some stick yesterday as I think some took them the wrong way, as if I was trying to moderate the blog or something? I had a little spat with Indian which was blown way out of context too.

Im gad you see the point, I only put them up to start discussion in relation to what Ed reports,

This one with Perch is basically in reaction to Arsenals resurgence in form. I feel him and Tiote woud be a superb screen against their pacey counter.

We still have plenty going for ward there.

You could vary it with this Perhaps:

=============Krul==============
    Simo====Colo======Wilo====Snton
    ========Tiote====Perch=========
    =====Cabaye==Ba====HBA======
    ===========Cisse=============

What you think?

• Colo-Sus

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM

@Martoon

HAHA

yeah I know mate, what a schoolboy error that was eh!

@Toontom

Just on Perch, I just feel its a good game for him, and to be fsir hes really not bad at all in that DM role, His inclusion is purely as an enforcer alongside Tiote,

I think that team beats Arsenal I really do

• Beattie25

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Reading between these lines Ed is going to be sold in the Summer

• Colo-Sus

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

@Martoon

Thats the thinking RE walcott/Oxlaide

If they are nulified by Santon, Perch and Jonas,

Tiote and Colo can Habdle RVP so to speak I hope!!

If we under cosh the option is still there for Cabaye to drop deeper too.

I feel Guthrie gets lost against bigger teams sometimes,,although he was our best player when Chelsea pummeled us at home, Perch also played v well in that game too.

Im not glorifying Perch here btw, but horses for courses, Theres a win there against Arsenal if we get it right

• Colo-Sus

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM

@Beattie

HAHA

Class mate, jsut spluttered my coffee there at that 🙂

• Beattie25

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Using my amazing skills of perception I can say that Arsenals golden patch is over.

There 2 biggest games of the season are now out the way and despite the 3-0 win last night they are still out so they will, as history shows, take their foot of the pedal now.

I reckon we will only get beat 3-0. HWTL

• martoon

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Colo-Sus – I preferred your first formation because like I said we need to deal with Walcott which I think Jonas & Santon could. Cisse could replace Ba later as he is bound to tire playing upfront alone. Not sure if AP would omit Raylor though!

• GeordieGesus

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Beattie25 @11. ROFL 😀

• Beattie25

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM

There? Thier!

• Colo-Sus

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM

@Martoon

I totally agree the first was also my preference mate.

I think its sensible tio take some pressure of Cisse as well, I think bringing him on for the next couple of games will benefit him going forward.

Yeah your probs right about Raylor, he could perhaps do the Perch role as well?

• planbillytedbob

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

i think in the unlikely scenario that pardew would play your first formation then raylor probably would start over hba and guthrie over perch.
    or just raylor over perch

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Arsenal is irrelevant as far as our season goes to be honest.

It’s Norwich, West Brom, Liverpool, Swansea, Bolton, Chelsea, Stoke, Wigan that are vital.

City & Everton last two games will be tough. That’s a very nice run in the middle though. Can’t wait to trounce Liverpool.

• quityerjibbajabba

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM

just like to say hi as i am new to this board and this is my first post been reading this blog for a few years now and thought i would like to start posting and give some of my opinions.
    i think this site is top class and would like to thank ed for the time and effort put into this.site i remember when this site closed down for a while i felt lost without out it there and while there where some cheap imatations out there (no names but you can guess) it wasnt the same.
    a lot of respect goes out to you ed i hope you are ok and i understand what you are going through as i have been personally affected by a simular situation and i hope you pull
    through many thanks

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Got a great e mail from Ed thanking me for my whats too good for Ashley posts,he said they cheered him up no end and that I should carry on the good work.

• Beattie25

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Look if we set up defensively we will get pummled and if we attack we might get stuffed.

I’d rather get beat 4-0 and had a really good go at them than play defensively and get beat 1-0.

I’d stick Benny in and say ‘go on lad, show us what you can do’.

I’d drop Simmo and bring in Fergie at LB and stick Santon at RB not only for thier attacking abilities but there speed or else Oxo and Walcott will skin the wingers alive.

I’d stick Guthrie in alongside Cabaye and Tiote and drop Papiss to the bench to bring on if it aint going to well.

4-5-1 and lets learn a lesson from Spuds and ditch the 4-4-4-2 and bring pace into the defence.

———————–Krul———————

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM

============Krul==============
    Simo====Colo=====Wilo====Santon
    ========Tiote====Cabaye========
    Raylor====================Jonas
    ========Cisse===Ba============

I think Pardew is unlikely to change from his “best” team.
    With Perch or HBA coming on depending if we are winning or losing/drawing.

• Colo-Sus

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Jail

Haha

Please do I find them amusing tbh mate 🙂

• VanToonMan

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Raylor kept his LB place for 12 odd games because he DESERVED it…..but can someone please tell me what Raylor has done at RW…to deserve his RW place??

I am happy with Pardew with everything apart from this one position…and it could prove to be costly for us now….we have dropped 4 points in the last two games in my opinion.

It’s simple….if Pardew is adamant that Raylor should play then move him back to LB with Santon at RB…so that HBA can play RW and Simmo gets dropped. Otherwise….with a full strength team, Raylor has to take a place on the bench just like Guthrie…

I reiterate i cannot think of anything Raylor has offered at the RW position and it has resulted in us not scoring enough goals!!

• quityerjibbajabba

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM

right first things first i would like to get some things of my chest

firstly on the issue of danny simpson i like the guy seems down to earth but the bottom line is he is not good enough full stop i admit he tries hard is full of endevour but any decent winger with pace and a bit of intellegence can easily beat and that is a fact not an opinion.

secondly this debate about simpson/r taylor playing at right back is irrelevent as both are not good enough defenders i like taylor as i think he is more comfortable on the ball and has a bit more quality but in midfield as defenders they are not good enough and always needs babysitting which impacts us as an attacking force because as everyone can see we have no consistant service/threat coming from the wings because the wingers are too busy trying to cover the full back all the time thats why unless the strikers can create there own chances they struggle.

third point i like willo and some of the stick he gets is unfair because he has just come back injury and was rushed back in but i think the guy needs a rest now i understand people are saying with who to replace him with all i know is that unless you dont try and do something different at cb we are gonna be leaking goals and losing games so i think we have nothing to lose by trying something different if it doesnt work then put him back in after a rest.

hba needs to play full stop no ifs and buts it irratates the hell out of me when people say he loses the ball/doesnt track back etc etc there have been other players who have been playing poor for a while eg simpson and have kept there place while others have been made scapegoats cant have one rule for one and not the other. hba has more creativity than the whole of our midfield at times and i dont understand the stick he gets from some people.he is one of the most skilful players i have ever seen and i think people forget this and this is because he is not getting a decent run of games.

i love jonas one of my favorite players but i think he needs a rest he starting to look tired now and has been for a few games probobly all that tracking back he has to do for taylor to cover the full back has caught up with him because taylors not good enough to do his own job has one on one in defence

i like guthrie he a decent player but as for some people saying he should replace cabaye give your head a shake i admit for a few months when he had a run of games he stepped up to the plate and was playing some quality football probobly for the first time since hes been here hes playing like he should of been playing years ago but this love fest towards him a few weeks ago on this board by some posters was just so over the top its ridiculous i admit cabaye has had a dip in form but i think thats more to do with the players around him not pulling there weight rather than him being able to play his natural game which is further up the field supplying the forwards not protecting the back four because they cant absorb pressure.

we have a squad lets use it i think its time some other players got a chance to shine i know its not the ideal time to be trying players at the buisness end of the season but if pardew was clever he should have bedded in a few more players especally when others where playing poor but still kept there place we would not have this problem, ie players like abeid gosling fergie even pearch and obertan should be given there chances now because for a few months now we have been playing poorly and grinding out results trying to absorb pressure rather then give it out

and finally the next person who says shola should have taken that penalty i am going to flip out on it f*****g winds me up ba is our penalty taker and hasnt missed for us before that and has been our major source (if only source) of goals. everything is great in hindsight isnt it?

just had to get that of my chest thanks for reading opinons welcome

• Steviebaby1978

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM

In my honest opinion I think we should play a 4-4-1-1
    ============Krul==============
    Simpson===Colo====Wilo===Santon
    HBA===Cabaye====Tiote===Jonas
    =============Ba==============
    ============Cisse=============

Ba to help beef up midfield and feed Cisse. Strike right down the middle with HBA destroying the wing, Tiote destroying everything else and we win 10-0!!!!!
    O.K that last bit is stupid but I really want to see both HBA and Cisse play. They need pitch time and both possess great skill.
    HWTL

• sohon

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I know Ameobi can play everywhere
    so the next term is:

Ameobi

Ameobi Ameobi Ameobi Ameobi

Ameobi Ameobi Ameobi Ameobi

Ameobi Ameobi

Howay the lads!!

• Marcelinho_Bramble

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Despite Ameobi goal against mackem, he havent got the skills to be s starter.

Ameobi as an impact sub till he retired.