Newcastle Can Upset the Arsenal Defense Next Monday

It’s good news that Newcastle have avoided the bait put out by Sunderland manager Martin O’Neill a couple of days ago,  and the Tyneside club stayed silent after Martin’s rather surprising outburst at his press conference on Tuesday.

John Carver – preparing for trip to Arsenal

That’s good because it’s time to put the derby behind us – it’s over – it’s  gone – and we got one point from it – time to move on.

And of course it doesn’t get any easier as next up for the lads is a very tough game at Arsenal next Monday night.

Arsenal did really well on Tuesday night when they only just failed to come back form the 4-0 trouncing they took in Milan in the first leg of their European tie with AC Milan.

They were 3-0 up at the half,  but couldn’t get those extra two goals which would have seen them mount the most incredible comeback in European Champions League history.

If Newcastle can show some of the form over the last 11 games that they were in earlier this season , we have a decent chance of finishing 6th in the league table.

And that would be the best we have done since Bobby Robson was sacked for only getting Newcastle into 5th position in the 2003-2004 season.

I’m not making this up – as that was one of the major reasons given by then Chairman Freddy Shepherd on why Bobby was sacked in late August of 2004.

Assistant Manager John Carver was at the Emirates for the Arsenal-Milan tie on Tuesday night, and he had this to say today to the local press corps:

“The derby is out of the way now and we concentrate on the last 11 games.” “Arsenal put in so much effort the other night and while they won 3-0 it must have been hugely disappointing to do that and not get through.”

“It would have been incredible if they’d come back.” “But for us now this is still a tough game.” “And Arsenal have that extra couple of days to recover with the game being on the Monday.”

“We don’t know what team they will play.” “But the good news is we have a decent record over them of late.” “We beat them 1-0 there last season, and staged the fightback in the 4-4 draw last year.”

“And this year we had the 0-0 draw at home on the first game of the season.” “They are strong but we will look to continue our record against them.”

Arsene Wenger has finally got Arsenal back on track, and they are starting to play good attacking football again and are in 4th position in the league table, above Chelsea.

Newcastle’s chance on Monday is to concentrate on Arsenal’s still weak defense, and we have to hope that Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse and Shola Ameobi can upset the Arsenal rearguard, and if they can do that we could get a point in London.

The last thing we want next Monday is to concede five goals again for the the third time running in London.

That would be a disaster – and I wish I hadn’t even mentioned it – come to think of it. 😀

Comments welcome.

• GeordieGesus

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Reading between the lines toonruz will be leaving in the summer.

• gaz 44

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

reading between lines carvers off in summer

• Indian Magpie

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM

we need to read lines too

• Beattie25

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The only way we can beat arsenal this Monday is if we sacrifice a virgin in the name of lucifer!

The only trouble thief defence will get is heading away long balls…

… Unless of course Benny plays!

• Colo-Sus

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Reading between the lines Beattie is a devil worshipper

• Colo-Sus

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM

@Beatte

Agreed Benny has to play

What team would you play?

• martoon

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Reading between the lines it looks like Ed thinks we are playing a front three of Ba, Cisse & Shola – not that is an attacking formation 😉

• LewSpi

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Martoon – from a couple of threads ago (Ed you’re posting especially quick this morning)

“We keep being linked with midfield players – it is defenders I would like to hear rumours about!”

I use this blog on a daily basis, simply because I like to keep up with what’s happening with the club, so from 1st February I decided to keep a list on my phone of all players we have officialy been linked with, by this I mean in the press, not the ‘ITK’ balls that gets thrown about.

We always get linked with a silly amount of players, so I thought it would be interesting to see how many it is up until summer window.

So here it is…

Wilfried Zaha
    Junior Hoilett

ST
    Rakish Bingham
    Emmanuel Mayuka
    Kevin Mirallas

Like I said, these are literally just press releases (mainly what I see Ed report tbh), I haven’t adjusted it with my opinion of how strong the rumour is etc.

But as you can see, there are mainly defenders, which is encouraging.

• spitfire_

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

We can upset their defence but they can upset ours much easier.

• Beattie25

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM

@ Colo-sus

It’s gotta be an attacking formation for me. Shit or bust but please god don’t let Pards play 4-4-2.

For me I’d bring ober in for Raylor Dixie can skin Gibbs, I’d stick fergie in at LB and santon RB. Bring Benny in for papiss and go attacking 4-5-1 with Benny in a free role!

• AMEOBI

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Ok im lost, whats with “reading between the lines”?
    its doing me heed in christ!

• ~Papiss-Toon~

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

@Ameobi

Its an inside joke. 😛

• martoon

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

LewSpi @8 – I can’t argue with that – just seems like recently it has been midfielders. You can tell you are a student with plenty of time on your hands 🙂

• Partizan

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM

As much as i want to be optimistic and knowing our manager and players mentality i think we have no way out of this game…2-0 for Arsenal
    I hope i will be proved wrong.

Arsenal is playing at their full strenght atm,regardless of Arteta’s injury,,3 wins in a row against top class teams is just a small example of what is waiting for us there.

• martoon

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM

AMEOBI @11 – It started from a blog yesterday about HBA being happy in England when Indian then posted something like: “Reading between the lines he is off in the Summer” and it has kinda snowballed from then.

• Colo-Sus

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM

—————————Krul—————————–

Simpson——–Colo————-Willo———–Santon

—————–Tiote————-Cabaye—————–

Obertan—————–Ben Arfa——————Jonas

——————————Ba—————————

My team for Monday. That front four would frighten any defence with their pace and flair. Before you all start criticising me for playing Oba, i think away from home he performs and can be perfect on the counter attack. Cisse hasn’t done enough YET to start for me.

• Colo-Sus

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

@Jonny

I like that team to be honest

I just dont like Cabaye so far back…He is a playmker and was at Lille, hes been to deep for us all season.

• Wandering Geordie

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM

This ‘reading between the lines’ reminds me so much about Lee Ryder in the Journal. I constantly blog the fact that he uses the word ‘ Hail ‘ in all of his headlines..Hail this hail that.
    I know I am sick but god it gets on my nerves. One week he included Hail 4 times in one week. I can only take so much hailing…

Quick Hail me a cab.

• moonraker

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Ed
    Sorry to be very contraversial but when you look at the squad SBR had, he WAS underachieving at the time he got the sack. And when you look at the teams capable of winning the league at the time we should have been pushing them!

The fact is Bobby had lost the dressing room on which the club spent a fortune (that we didnt have).

As much as I loved Bobby he should have been moved upstairs cos that squad should have won a trophy.

Of course he bought some bad players as well but that was his problem as I think he more or less had a free hand.

• moonraker

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Colo-sus

Cabaye aint good enough to be honest. I dont think he dominates as a creative midfielder. He may still be adjusting to this league but I dont think he is the long term answer as he doesnt have the energy levels that you need!

We’ll see anyway !