The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Need To Sign Simpson And Guthrie Soon

11:34 am, Thursday, March 8th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

Danny Simpson still hasn’t signed his new deal at Newcastle United, and negotiations have been ongoing since last summer.

Danny Simpson - will he sign new deal?

Newcastle have been trying to tie down Danny to a new improved five year deal, but Danny has so far resisted signing the  deal,  and the rumors were a couple of weeks back  that he had turned down a new offer of around £25K/week from the club.

Newcastle did have some success last Saturday on the contract front, when they signed up both captain Fabricio Coloccini and Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul to long term deals at the club.

The next two players we’d like to see signed up are the two Dannys – Simpson and Guthrie – and the latter’s contract runs out at the end of June when he becomes a free agent, and will no doubt get some good offers from other clubs.

Aston Villa are only one of the PL clubs said to be interested in the 24 year-old central midfielder Guthrie.

And to  listen to Danny Simpson talk today, he seems very happy on Tyneside, and he says he is committed to Newcastle United:

“I’m loving every minute of it. It’s games like that, which make you want to be a footballer.” “I said to one of the lads afterwards that for me I don’t think I’ll ever play in a bigger game than that in terms of the atmosphere and what’s at stake.”

“It’s not just about the three points it’s what it means to the fans and the club, and I don’t think I’ll ever play another game with that kind of intensity.”  “I know the fans probably wanted the win, but at the end of the day we’ve took four points off Sunderland again this season.”

“I think they must have loved the second-half performance, even though we created chance after chance and it wasn’t going in, I’m sure they loved the determination of the players.”  “Even after we missed the penalty we kept going and then Shola’s come on and nicked a goal.”

“You feel the fans urging you on, and you can’t do anything else but keep going until you get that goal.” “Every tackle, every header, it’s like they are kicking it for you, so you know what it means to them.” “When we got that goal in the last minute I don’t even remember how I celebrated, I just went mad.”

“We are five points clear of Liverpool and a couple of points off Chelsea, so we are still in the mix and people wouldn’t have said that at the start of the season.”

Simpson is a decent player and he has played consistently this season, and we still think the Mancunian can get better as he gets more games in the English Premier League.

But we’d like to see him sign his deal sooner rather than later, and it would be good news if the Newcastle club can soon announce they have signed up both Danny Simpson and Danny Guthrie to long term deals.

Tags: Contracts · Danny Guthrie · Danny Simpson · Newcastle News

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 Colo-Sus // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Do we?

• 2 thebionicMAG // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Newcastle need to let Simpson go, soon…

• 3 geoff777 // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Simpson is a good improving defensive RB.

I wish he was 2nd choice, but he’ll do a job until we can afford better.

Guthrie deserves a new contract.

• 4 geoff777 // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Arsenal signing Podolski next summer …

• 5 martoon // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I guess feelings are split on Simpson but if it is true we offered him 25k a week then I’m surprised he does not accept it because no-one else will surely!

• 6 Slank // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM

If Simpson doesn’t sign by the end of the season / start of summer transfer window then no big deal. Santon or Raylor or Henderson can take the position. Or perhaps someone new.

I wouldn’t be too upset if Guthrie left as I think he is too good to be playing second fiddle to Cabaye. He could easily be a first choice in quite a few premiership sides. I wouldn’t be surprised if he attracts the attention of the teams that will be promoted.

• 7 Colo-Sus // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Off topic lads,

Its a persoanl one, Im being laid off at the end of the month, anyone know of any vacancies anywhere??

• 8 Selbymag // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Colo-Sus sorry to hear about the job mate – I hear Chelsea or England are hiring.
    Seriously mate it often turns out to be a blessing keep your head up mate

• 9 Colo-Sus // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Cheers Selby appreciate that.

Haha might apply for a laugh. Send in my formation knowledge lol!

• 10 Selbymag // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I actually rate Simpson and think a lot of the critisism is unfair.
    He is no world beater but he is young and improving still. He has minimal protection down the right a lot of the time and plays along side the positionally bewildering Williamson.
    Anyone would strugggle at right back for us at the minute.

• 11 jimmymagpie // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Sorry Ed, let him go – he’s not good enough. Too small to defend crosses to the back stick from the opposite wing, and gives his opponent far too much room.

• 12 Beattie25 // Mar 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Danny Simpson? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• 13 jimmymagpie // Mar 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Sorry to hear about your job situation, Colo, and I wish you well. Has anybody noticed that the season ticket prices for next season have actually decreased? My direct debit has gone down nearly £5 a month. Anybody know why?

• 14 SwedishMagpie // Mar 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

newcastle need to sign simpson ?why?

• 15 Rotonda heights // Mar 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Can’t wait to get rid of simpson.

Dani Alves and danny Simpson is like a premiership player and a conference player.

Simpsin has no footballing and attacking ability on the ball whatsoever.

In defence he is always backing off, or standign in front of the keeper and giving away deflected goals.

Tav is already way better.

• 16 Munster Mag // Mar 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Rotunda, that’s up there with some of your more stupid comments. Guthrie isnt a good comparison to Iniesta either, but hey ho. Simpson is poor ging forward, but i’ve seen a lot worse right backs. I’d like to see us imporove there, but with him in second string. Why does everyone keep talking about Santon by the way as a right back. Apparently he’s always been left back? Anyway, he’s not that good one on one defensively, but hopefully will improve. I’d doubt he will replce Enrique for defensive quality, especially in 1 to 1 situatuons v winger. Enrique was unreal at that.

• 17 markmac // Mar 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Danny Guthrie definately needs to be signed up simpson’s not the best on the ball, ie he doesnt seem very cool,calm or collected and looks quite panicky sometimes but he does seem to be in the right place quite often [the goal line!] maybe give him the benefit of the doubt and sign him up although not promising him the starting berth as i think he’ll have 2 or 3 playing challenging him come next season,

• 18 Acuna92 // Mar 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Get rid off simpson, hoy Santon at right back and buy a left back or have Ferguson/Raylor at left back. Or play Perchy at right back……naaaat.

• 19 jesperfuglsang // Mar 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

It depends on what cost; there are younger, cheaper and better players out there!

• 20 brighter // Mar 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

We absolutely dont need Simpson. He always looks like coward and can nothing all of attack.

• 21 ToonHeart // Mar 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I think we could do a lot better than Simpson if I’m honest!

• 22 max // Mar 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM

sell him and buy corluka

• 23 markmac // Mar 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Simmo’s very popular on here lol

• 24 davis_toons // Mar 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

If we sign Simpson will MA/AP buy again? I really doubt.

If not. I rather have a new signing. But Simpson do try his very best at times which every Fans loves to see in all the players.

But only new and better quality players will get us nearer to our GOAL. Not just hardworking players..they do go out of steam as well..

I would rather have Both ManUtd twins bros playing for us..

previous post: Newcastle Can Upset the Arsenal Defense Next Monday