The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Wenger – It’s Not Surprising Where Newcastle Are

9:13 am, Friday, March 9th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

The build-up to the league game at the Emirates Stadium on Monday night with Arsenal is now underway.

Arsene Wenger – Newcastle have done well in transfer market

And Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger now has his side playing like they did in the old days, and they are scoring lots of goals, although their weakness is still their leaky defense.

Newcastle will find Arsenal in their best form of the season, and it will be a tough match to get anything out of.

Arsene had this to say on the Arsenal website:

“You could say that I am surprised if you look purely at the number of points they have. They were not expected there,” “They have bought very well in a very efficient way. Some players have made a name now who were completely unknown at the start of the season.”

“Therefore when you look at their quality it is not surprising they are where they are.” “We knew them of course but you know you only have the right to have 25 players in your squad in England,”

“They have bought very well in a very efficient way. Some players have made a name now who were completely unknown at the start of the season.” “You cannot go for all the players who are good that are on the market.”

“Newcastle lost Andy Carroll last year and they were searching for a striker, so credit to them for signing Ba and Cisse. Also Yohan Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa are good business for them. That’s why they are where they are.”

“They are a team everyone knows will give you a big game, but what is important is our own performance,” “We cannot be obsessed by Newcastle. If we turn up with a good performance we will win the game.”

“That is what is at stake: to keep up our run and keep our focus.” “We can play at a pace that, at the moment, maybe nobody else can sustain,” “When we are on our roles that is good for the morale of the team.”

“If you look at the times we have reversed games; Villa, Tottenham, Liverpool, Sunderland and now Milan, you would say there is something special in there.” “I always believed in the spirit and quality of this team.”

“I am sure if we keep going that will come out and the target until the end of the season is to be faithful to that.”

Arsenal are on a good streak of form and have won their last four league games, which includes a win at home to Tottenham and away at Liverpool, and they have scored 15 goals in those four games too.

Newcastle have not done well in London, at least not the last two times we have been there at Fulham and Tottenham, and we have to hope our defensive play is a lot better than it was in those games.

It should be a good game, and Newcastle will have their top side out, and we have to hope the lads can show they are still a good team.

A draw would be a good result before we meet Norwich City at St. James’ Park on the following Sunday.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 jayphoto // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

@wwjbd – I think its more of a case that amalfitano fits the type of player carr likes, he’s quite quick, very strong technical ability, good passing, vision etc! Think he’s coming in to replace guthrie who i imagine will leave! Down here in birmingham, theres massive rumours linking villa with Guthrie in the summer, wouldn’t surprise me!

• 2 Indian Magpie // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Please dont read B/W the lines

• 3 Ibizatoon // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Why would you say that Indian….it’s just asking someone to start 😉

• 4 davybtoon // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Jay agreed direct replacement for Guthrie or smith, n his brother is excellent player so if he’s as good as him we got a hell of a player

• 5 davybtoon // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Ibiza on the young players we got to start playing you can’t expect to go out n buy 2 players for every position, can’t b scared of playing them or u will never find out if there good enough, of course u don’t jus play 4/5 at once, you blood them in 20mins at the end of games, it helps we already kno Vukic, fergie, sammi n abeid r good enough

• 6 WWJBD // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Re-post
    Dannyo
    Thats the key issues with my feelings towards the ownership I just dont trust them, they will do good things but there almost always is a piece of crap waiting round the corner.

jayphoto
    I would be disappointed if he is Guthries replacement tbh I think we could be after bigger fish for that now we are pushing for European football.

I can see Guthrie going to Villa tbh but am not really that bothered look at them and look at us if he wants to go there then good luck to him but he might want to see how Barton is enjoying life right now :(

• 7 Ibizatoon // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I’m definitely not under the illusion we’ll be buying 2 players for each position. I think as you say, replace whoever leaves this summer with as good as, if not better and younger and also introduce the youngsters. Would like to see us at least buying a good quality CB and fullback though, on top of replacements for whoever leaves. There our 2 worrying positions at present

• 8 jayphoto // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM

aye, i think with guthrie though, hes at his best after a run of games, he’s good enough to start at every premier league club from sunderland in 8th down! Think he’ll leave for games as he’s not gonna be in our line up whilst tiote and cabaye are fit! A fit guthrie playing week in week out should have his eye on an england squad because theyre are very few english players that can control the tempo of a game like him! Plays in a very unenglish way!

• 9 WWJBD // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Having a bit of a armchair scouting mission looking at teams we can cherry pick players from in France my picks would be Yaya Sanogo, Marvin Martin and Ryad Boudebouz

Sanogo to replace the gangsta, Martin and Ryad to push for starts and replace Gutrhie and Smith

Then, imo, we need 2 CBs (Douglas and a young English lad), Pieters (or another LB) and a winger I would be over the moon if this happened and no one major left

• 10 davybtoon // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Wwjbd – I wouldn’t mind mirallas or armabat who we were linked with the other day or Elia both good players a cb n lb, I don’t think anyone will leave unless we get crazy money

• 11 davybtoon // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Mbwia n Petiers aswell hopefully

• 12 WWJBD // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

jayphoto
    As I say good luck to Guthrie but if we get Europe and he leaves he will be making a mistake imo

Also I dont rate Guthrie as highly as u do mate injury prone and inconsistant for me, good this season but nothing prior really….would like him to stay dont get me wrong but I think Gosling has a potentially brighter future than Guthrie

davy
    Oh that Mirallas did look the dogs hind parts in the vid I saw of him, have him as instead of the winger then (pretty sure he can play as winger as well though I could be making that up)

• 13 davybtoon // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Wwjbd I winger n striker he can play

• 14 davybtoon // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I’ve no doubt we will bring in some real quality in the summer

• 15 WWJBD // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

davy
    Glad am not just making it up 😉
    Aye I am expecting some decent players through the door with small to no overall outlay but could be surprised like I was in Jan time will tell

• 16 Demba_Ba // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

• 17 AltaBatalJoneN // Mar 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

why are U all on Guthrie now? I hope he sign a new contract for us soon. I also hope he plays vs arseanal instead of cisse or Cab. He is one of our most creative players if you look at the chances created stats, and he works atleast as hard as Cabaye if not more. I watched the game vs scums again and noticed that in the second half Tiotè was the one going forward while Cabaye was just jogging around in no-mans-land, looking tired and uninterested.

• 18 AltaBatalJoneN // Mar 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM

My team vs Arse:
    ——————-Krul——————–
    Raylor——Willo—–Colo——-Santon
    ———Tiote———–Cabaye———-
    —————-Guthrie——————-
    Ben Arfa—————————-Guti
    ——————–Ba——————-

What do you think?

• 19 shpetmeister // Mar 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM

AltaBatalJoneN: That is a super line up :)

4-5-1, frustrate Arsenal, press them high up, try to pressure Chamberlain and Counter attack. Dont think its smart to let Arsenal have the play and WAIT for counter attacks. Just press them high ! Then if we got under, bring on Cisse for Guhtrie.

• 20 Oleg G // Mar 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I tried to read between the lines but Tiote came out of there and told me: “Tell everyone to stop this s***, or else…..”.

• 21 @Toon_Tulip // Mar 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

@altabata, I agree with the line up and i would 100 percent play 5 in midfield. i would only make 1 change on the line up that would be to swap the left and right backs Santon will be much more effective on the right, and we know what raylor can do on the left. ben arfa is a must this time if we are to get anything.

• 22 davis_toons // Mar 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

On Petiers

Saw him play on PSV yesterday which lost 4-2..seems avg ..but do have a good built to defend which we might need at the back.

Seem to be able to run up and support the left wing.

Any better players at his kind of value? ..but will we be buying.. thats the qus.

• 23 max // Mar 9, 2012 at 5:36 PM

good luck

• 24 Jinky Jim // Mar 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

can’t wait for the match up between Willy and van Porcy, crappen me panse

• 25 geordiejamie89 // Mar 9, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Line -up if fit, we have to put out a competitive side, and I think this would give us our best chance.
    ——————–Krul——————–
    Simpson–Williamson–Collocini–Santon
    Ben Arfa–Cabaye–Tiote–Guitierez
    Demba Ba—-Cisse.
    Subs. Elliot, R Taylor, Perch, Guthrie, Oberton, Marveux, Shola Ameobi.

I think Ben Arfa is playing like he has a point to prove, and deserves a start. The way he was playing against Sunderland, he looks like he’d be great on the right in the next game. Howay the Tooon!

previous post: This Is How Newcastle Do Business – Other Clubs Could Take Note