Coloccini’s Dad – Money Isn’t Everything Son

There’s a good story today in the Sunday Sun of how Fabricio Coloccini’s  father reminded him that money isn’t everything in life – or in football either.

Fabricio Coloccini – Newcastle captain got advice from Dad

That may be hard for some people to take in, since the Premier League has become a huge global business  over these last several years.

Coloccini had been negotiating his new contract for six months before Alan Pardew  announced just over a week ago that Coloccini and Tim Krul had both signed new long term deals to stay at the club.

And during the week it was also announced that Ryan Taylor had earned a new two year extension to his current deal, which will keep him at the club through the summer of 2015.

But it turns out that his father’s comments cause the Argentine to think of everything he had on Tyneside.

A manager in Alan Pardew that he likes and respects, a board that seem to be learning from past mistakes and the club now seem to be making rapid progress on many different fronts.

A good squad of players which will only improve this summer, and last but not least – adoring Newcastle fans.

This is how Coloccini explained things today in the Sunday Sun:

“The most important thing was the city, the fans, the club,” “But one moment was special. My father Osvaldo came over two months ago. When we walked down the street or in the MetroCentre, the people would say, ‘Oh, Colo, you have to stay.”

“We need you, we love you.’  “My father doesn’t speak really good English, but he understood that and he said, ‘Colo, you have to stay. The people love you, the city is nice, the club want you.’

“Sometimes it is not about the money you are paid, it is about the love of the people.”    “It’s really important to have stability. I think the club has grown up now and they are starting to do things well.” “The club has got better in my time here.”

“I remember when I came, in the first year, we had a lot of problems and a lot of managers and too many changes.”  “Now I think it is more stable. A lot of players have had many years here and it’s important for the team to grow up.”

“It’s good for team spirit and, of course, for the fans because you have five or six players who are the nucleus.”

Good words from Fabricio – but even better words from Coloccini’s Dad – Osvaldo.

There’s a very good lesson in life there somewhere. 😀

Comments welcome.

• JAMSHA

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

GREAT DAD 🙂

• ~Papiss-Toon~

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Colo has to be in the top 5 for best defenders this season. No doubt. Was absolutely over the moon when he signed a new contract.

• WWJBD

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Now I love Colo but saying its not about the money when u were apparently on 80k a week and now 70k a week is a bit of cheek

Fair play to him not all of it goes in his pocket but not like ur just staying for the love of the gallowgate big man

• cheick Norris

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

wwjbd yeah i know what you mean. still a good story though

• Pardew's fist pump

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

His dad wants in on your wives.

• Davies

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM

WWJBD – When there’s a chance he could get more elsewhere, and he probably could, it’s still a pretty good attitude to have.

• tomtoon7

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Oh collocini how u’ve improved.Lovin ur loyalty,espesh in this modern era of ‘crazy money’ football! E deserves his pay packet.HWTL

• LewSpi

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Ohh Osss-valdo, you are the love of my life, ohh Osss-valdo. I’ll let you shag my wife ohh Osss-valdo, I want curly hair tooo..

• tomtoon7

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Lewspi thats hilarious’that shud b sung on the terraces!!

• davybtoon

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Colo signing is so big, he’s captain I think all the players respect and love him as do the fans, n he cud b key to players staying in the future

On the last article there’s no way ppl can complain about tickets prices goin up they had the chance last year of a 10 year price freeze n if u didn’t take the club made no secret of the fact the prices would rise so anyone who didn’t do it is a fool it’s a bargain

• Pardew's fist pump

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Are you sure it’s not ‘spot on’, Davy?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I think players like Collo and Krul signing new deals perhaps shows the club are showing some ambition,and a few people although not liking the owners are softening their attitudes toward them,I wonder if Enrique would have signed a new deal if he’d have known where we’d be in March.

• pbNcl

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

When you consider we’ve had the likes of smith and barton captaining us in recent times, Colocinni is an exemplary figure. He is an excellent ambassador and one for youth to really look upto. You never see captain cool loose his rag. All round tip top bloke

• davybtoon

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

anyone see the article this morning saying we could get dzeko if we get 4th place

• davybtoon

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM

u lot see motd last nyt hoilett looked amazing gonna be a fight for his signature this summer

• WWJBD

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Hey I love Colo as I said and yeah he could of gone else where and get a bit more money but he is still on a massive wedge at NUFC

Happy fans and city convinced him but would of been happier had he not mentioned money at all, small gripe to have with the fella I know but he is the highest paid at the club and beat the wage cap by some margin with this deal

• StuW

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

@davybtoon what have you been smoking? We couldn’t afford his transfer fee , never mind his wages! As much as I would like to see him at NUFC, it ain’t happening.

Coloccini has been consistently good all season, looks a different player to the one that joined 4 years ago. He is a leader, not a leader who shouts and screams, but leads by example. Best signing we made this season was renewing his contract.

• davybtoon

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM

seen sochux look like they could go down we shud defo go for marvin martin n boudabouz

• MagPieMan

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Davybtoom

I’m still to be convinced that Dzeko is good enough for the Prem. he has glimpses of class but his lack of pace really makes it hard for him. The question is will he adjust next season.

• paddythemagpie

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM

first post 🙂 my team for monday nite
    __________krul_______________
    simmo___willo__colo______santon
    cabaye_____tiote_______raylor
    __b arfa_____________jonas____
    ___________ba______________
    that will win it for us
    howtl !

• billy

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM

It was in the Sunday sun so it must be true!

• Marty-Toon

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Great interview with Lee Clark,
    Top coach and manager.
    Sometime toon boss

• pardews waxwork lips

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Oh collocin’s dad I’d let you sh@g my nanna, osvaldo is a geordie la la la la

• jakesome

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

off sublect re-post
    what about this counter attacking team tomorrow
    ————krul——————
    rayls–collo—willo—santon
    ———–tiote—————–
    —-cabaye—jonas——–
    obertan————–hba
    ————ba—————
    with hba and ober as our standard defencive wingers doin both duties
    bench elliot, perch, guthrie, fergie, abeid, gosling (not sure if hes injured) wor shola
    comments?

• jakesome

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

haha youd notice collo straight away walking round the metty center

• MacToon

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Cannot agree more with Colo and his dad and very refreshing attitude in this day and age, some things are more important than money like 120 years of heritage!

• BUDGIE

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Jakesome, what about Cisse?

• bills-son

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Ahhh … MacToon surfaces.

With a side swipe at Mike Ashley – no surprise there eh?

Is your ‘Ashley out because he is ruining our club’ campaign still gathering steam – or has it run out of steam due to lack of interest and total bafflement?

It would be interesting to know.

And how is your bosum buddy solano doing? seems to have gone really quiet since Cisse signed and Colo and Krul signed their new contracts. I wonder why eh?

I suspect you both know how good ol bills-son felt when nobody took him seriously – coz I don’t reckon many on here take you two seriously now eh?

• MacToon

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM

B-S the stuck record yada yada yada.

Oh we bow to your superior knowledge!

• MacToon

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM

TBH B-S your quite a way off the mark, your ignorance shines through yet again.

• MacToon

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

you’re*

• WWJBD

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

bills-son
    I think ull find there is mre than just two people who dislike having MA as owner

Also swings and round abouts fella what u going to say if next season we are middle of the pack? Just enjoy the ride and stop baiting people man

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Quite amazed at the total investment into Newcastle by Mike Ashely. If u listened to people a few months back and even know, you would never have imagined he would have invested this much. According to them we would have never bought Cisse either. Though I never believed this and have mostly backed Mike Ashley who has invested a total of almost £300 m. Source BBC sport article: Newcastle begin to benefit from Mike Ashley’s approach

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:46 PM

jacksome
    instead of jonas in the middle with cabaye and tiote, i feel we should play guthrie or mayb even raylor so we a trio of tiote, cab and guthrie/raylor. Swap Jonas for obertan. I dont think pardew will drop simpson.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM

jacksome
    also why drop cisse from the squad?

• Tsunki

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Billy – we missed you Ted and Bob yesterday. How did it go at Diggerland? Good, was it?

• bills-son

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

MacToon // Mar 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM – B-S the stuck record yada yada yada. Oh we bow to your superior knowledge!

MacToon – there have been two stuck records lets not forget. My stuck’ Ashley is taking us forward’ record and you and solano’s ‘Ashley is taking us backwards’ stuck record.

Simple fact is – like it or not MacToon – my stuck record was playing the right tune. And yours the wrong one.

You can try and be facetious, make me out to be a braggard … or whatever.

But the simple fact is … you were wrong.

Even those who still critices in Ashley for the SDA naming cannot deny (and many don’t) that he has done plenty of things that have taken us forwards not backwards. You and solano in that respect have been left with egg on your faces – just as you personally MacToon have with your nonsensical ‘I’ve got big things happening I can’t talk about that will see Ashley out’ baloney.

• MacToon

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Ha ha B-S, ignorance again. I wish life were as simple as right or wrong!

Your obsession with certain bloggers cannot be healthy, I’d seriously recommend you seek some expert help.

• Dai

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Team for tomorrow:
    ———Krul——————
    Rayls–Collo—Willo—Santon
    ———–Tiote—————–
    —Cabaye—–Jonas——–
    HBA————–Ba
    ————Cisse—————

Probably a bit attacking for away from home though !!!

Mactoon……your need anger therapy mate. Ashley clearly has been very good for Newcastle and his way of running the club is now coming up trumps. I have a feeling that, as the so called “fair play” rules are introduced over the next few years (and I really don’t know exactly what that entail) we will become even stronger.

• bills-son

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

WWJBD – ME stop baiting people.

I’ll tell you what – I’ve got EVERY right to poke a stick back at MacToon and solano. I didn’t see you or others telling the pair of them to lay off me when I was getting slagged left right and centre for daring to support Ashley over the past year.

solano especially, is one of the most pompous and arroganr and now proven to be DEAD WRONG posters on this forum.

1 2 3 6