Newcastle Complete First Summer Signing

It has not been widely reported,  but it seems Newcastle have already had their first signing.

Romain Amalfitano – signed pre contract agreement

Nobody officially signs until July 1st,  but Newcastle can agree everything before then, and in cases of free agents can sign them   to a pre-contract agreement,  which states the length of the contract and the wages to be paid.

There were one or two bits of news out last Friday, one in the Independent, and at least one on a local Newcastle blog site, that Newcastle had signed Romain Amalfitano from Reims on a three-year deal last Thursday.

We saw the reports but were waiting for the Newcastle web-site to make it official, and they haven’t yet.

But it’s a good bet the lad has now indeed signed a pre-contract agreement to come to Newcastle.

And on February 28th, Romain had admitted it would be great to play in England, and he thought Newcastle were a fantastic club, as he said this to say to Sky Sports:

“I am a Reims player and I will be out of contract at the end of the season,” ”I want to finish this season strongly.”

“Newcastle are a fantastic club and to play for them would be a dream come true, but nothing is done as yet. Let’s wait and see what happens.”

Newcastle  had been watching him for several months and he is a low risk acquisition,  since he is a free transfer and his wages will be low.

The 22-year-old plays for Stade Reims in the French second division and he is the younger brother of Morgan, who plays for Olympique Marseilles.

Amalfitano is 5’9? tall and was born in Nice, and he’s an attacking right-footed midfielder, who started his career at French club Evian,  before moving to Reims in 2010, on a two year contract.

And finally, I have to apologize for completely screwing up the poll for last Monday night’s game at Arsenal – I had Obertan in there twice and no Ben Arfa.

The mercurial Frenchman scored a great opportunist goal and so we expect he would have been high up in the polling – I’ll try to do better next time. 😀

• MagPieMan

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Arsenal investigate alleged racial abuse of Newcastle’s Tiote

• MagPieMan

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM

pr1cks

• Dannyo

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I’ve seen this the same to places aswell, but i’d take it with a bit of salt in no one else is reporting this.
    At the same time, i’m inclined to think that the Independent could have done a small error in saying he was already signed.
    Wether he is signed or not and wether this is a good thing or not, time will tell.

• ballerfan2

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Yes, every club has it’s idiots. We have our fair share it has to be said.

• Hatem

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Sounds an okay signing, bit like Arfa and the other French attacking mids we’ve been linked to but hey, you can never have too much talent.

• chuck

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I would have prefered to see us sign a Jr. Hoilett than an unknown french second tier player, but willing to reserve my judgement until i see him play.
    What happened to Corgnet ?

• Hatem

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM

thats who I was refering to chuck, Corgnet

• max

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM

hope we can win at leat 5 in this last 10 game

• toonking

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM

today from what i have read there seems to be lots talking about the transfers in summer some players i think it will be a good idea to go for too are the decent players from those who are relegated there might be so few but chelsea still thought cahill was good enough to buy so maybe we should too.
    The reason for this is a concern i have with only getting players from foreign leagues may be a risk if they take too long to adapt to our league anf we could start to drop down.
    think of it in a simular fasion to the fact arsenal now seem to just challenge for 4th place yet 7 years ago they won the title

• GeordieToon89

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM

So we havnt actually agreed anything with him its just a review of the papers that reported it a few weeks ago.. ad take him on a free though

• pbNcl

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I never take any transfer ”news” seriously until its official, I remember we were linked with beckham a number of years ago hahaha! To be fair tho, this does seem genuine, but ill still wait for clarification.

I think guthrie’s range of passing is exceptional, however I can’t forget that wolves display. I think his heads been turned, well, good luck to him. Cos he will be replaced. Tiote we must keep. Must

• cheick Norris

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM

i agree with ed in saying he’s a low risk signing. if we’ve shouted him and seen something worth looking at then its worth the free signing

• Tsunki

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I don’t think its too much of a risk buying foreign players who need time to adjust, we already have some undergoing the transition, staggered signings will get up to speed in good time and hopefully be bargains that can be turned into a regular cash flow for the club. And before I get scorched, EVERY club is a selling club, its how well you buy that’s they key. Oh and Guthrie is a good lad, works hard and can have a good game when his head is right, he’s just not quite what we need to push on.

• nufc90

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM

if carr reccomends it i trust it’ll be a good signing

• quityerjibbajabba

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:41 PM

ha ha ha ha toon tom your a funny guy not song long ago you were slating me for saying that williamson and simpson needed dropping and in my team i put perch in cb instead and you and a few others took a pop at me and said i dont know what i am talking about well well well your team selection is very interesting it looks like YOUR the one who does not know what your talking about just like a few others on here pathetic

• Marty-Toon

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Why wasn’t Vukcic,Guthrie or gosling played in the middle instead of Obertan?
    Just when AP goes with a good game plan he screws it up with that.
    Obertan hopefully will come good ext year but the things he gets wrong are worrying.
    Good to see we are bringing in more quality passing midfielders from France with this new lad.

• geoff777

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Cheaper and better than Guthrie?

It does sound promising.
    If terms have been agreed he just has to show up for a medical on July 1st …

• Tsunki

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM

quityerjibbajabba – wot team selection is that then?

• geoff777

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM

How much does everyone think Danny Guthrie is worth?

I’d say 4M … I think he’s a great player. His passing is superb.

Why are we letting him walk for free?

• quityerjibbajabba

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM

a team selection i put playing perch at the back i got slated for before arsenal and one after the arsenal game for toon tom with perch in it

• Tsunki

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM

quityerjibbajabba – we’re no wiser mate, anything meaningful to add to your ‘don’t know what you’re talking about’ mud pie?

If guthrie is on a free then we won’t have much say. How come, you may wonder, he never had a contract negotiated?

• quityerjibbajabba

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM

how many mistakes and goals are we gonna concede before someone else gets a chance and this we only have willo/simpson crap is rubbish i have heard from some posters that they had a good game well if they had a good game and still cost us two goals and the game what does that tell you?

• WWJBD

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Hmm reading a lot of interesting comments regarding this lad and some interesting words one question though….have any of u seen him play?

• quityerjibbajabba

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM

dont worry if your no wiser the message is for toon tom so dont worry your pretty little head over it

• Tsunki

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM

quityerjibbajabba – sorry mate overlapped there. Oh I see. Did you put perch at cb? If so then the best to be said is you’re as off as them 🙂 perch at FB no prob though for me.

• pbNcl

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I’d say guthers is worth about £3m if nolan went for £4.5. I would say, as well as guthrie’s passing is, he hasn’t made half the contribution nolan made. I can’t remember nolan’s head ever dipping, not the best midfielder in the world but kevin really did get games by the scruff of the neck

• Tsunki

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM

quityerjibbajabba – ok mate no need to get weird I said sorry for overlapping and just FYI you said others didn’t know what they were talking about so naturally EVERYONE has a right to askif you meant them.

• quityerjibbajabba

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM

ignore that last post tsunki i wrote it before i read what you put basically i put a team out with perch at the back and got slated for it before the arsenal game i stated my reason for it as stated above but a few took a pop at me for it for putting perch in then look what happened against arsenal and now toon tom has perch in his latest team selection

• Tsunki

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Ok.

• ToonZiga

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Can someone help me, where i can buy tickets for reasonable price for the man city game, the last game we play at st. james park this season? PLEASE, i have plane tickets already but no game tickets. I come from Slovenia. Thanks a lot.

• cheick Norris

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

strange that he hasn’t made it above ligue2 level then he’s (probably) straight to the prem. hope he’s a “diamond in the rough”

• LewSpi

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

ToonZiga

I’d guess just nufc.co.uk or call the box office. I’m not sure they’re on sale yet? Nufc.com will tell you.

It’ll be a grade A game though, so expect to pay about £45.

• Barras

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Demba Ba tweeted.

Ahhh just arrived in Paris. Home sweet home.

And then deleted the tweet. Its Wednesday and we have a game on Sunday. Of course if its a necessary reason then fine, its no biggie. Just seems strange.

• Dannyo

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM

@Barras
    Did not see that. Injury maybe?

• cheick Norris

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM

@barras could be for some non football related reason and maybe it was deleted in case people got the wrong idea (fingers crossed)

• ToonZiga

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM

LewSpi

Thank you very much, i send an email to nufc.co.uk so i hope they can arrange something.
    I would be very happy to pay 45pounds for them. i checked on other sites and there are prices around 100 pounds 😀 so 45 is perfect 😀

• Barras

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Yeah I think either Dannyo’s or Cheick Norris’ suggestions are right to be honest. I wasn’t coming to any conclusions I was just questioning.

• Tsunki

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

ToonZiga – dont know where you are getting ticket offers from but if I were you I would keep checking NUFC.COM and NUFC.CO.UK for the General sale date for Man City, its the last home game of the season and it’s a big one too so you will need to be sharp, as I am certain it will be a sell out.

• robbtoon91

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Whether or not this lad will cut it im not sure but on a free transfer you cant complain.
    Obvious but we need to get rid of the deadwood in the squad (Smith, lovenkrands, xisco etc.) and replace them with solid players who can play in the first eleven. Jan Vertonghen/Douglas, Hoilett etc.
    As for sunday I reckon seen as though we are at home, go back to 4-4-2 then away from home play the same side at Arsenal except play Guthrie instead of Obertan. Praying we can hang on for europe!! 😀

• ToonZiga

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Tsunki – thanks mate, i will try my best, i really need this tickets, its my life wish to see one game of NUFC.