Pardew – We’ll Be Under A Lot Of Pressure Sunday

Alan Pardew has said today that he thinks Newcastle fans will be disappointed with the Arsenal result.

Alan Pardew – under pressure

Well he’s right there, although our lads played very well and were so unlucky not to get what would have been a fantastic draw.

But it was not to be,  and I suppose we have to move on – but those finishes are so hard to take – I collapsed to the floor when Arsenal scored.

And I wouldn’t have been the only one either, but my wife’s words of  “it’s only a game” didn’t quite get through to me somehow.

I’ve just about recovered from the disappointment – kind of.

But even with just 2 points out of the last 12,  Newcastle are still 6th in the league although Liverpool gained 3 points on us last night as Everton manager David Moyes left six men out of the side that beat Tottenham last time out.

It turned out to be easy for Liverpool last night, and we just have to hope Davide does us the same favor when we visit Goodison Park in our last game of the season on Sunday, May 13th.

But the Liverpool strikers still couldn’t score goals even last night, and Steven Gerrard scored all three – Liverpool are a different side with Steven in there, as we found out at Anfield.

This is what Alan told the local press today:

“I think our fans will be disappointed, and what we need is a pick-me-up now.” “We need to get a win – we’re well aware of that.”

“No-one needs to tell us.” “We’ve got Norwich at home, and it looks like a great opportunity.”  “We’ll have to work like we did on Monday night if we’re going to get it.” “We’ll be under a lot of pressure.”

“We hope our fans appreciate what we did against Arsenal, and come and back us.” “I’ve got to pick a side that can win the game.”

We hope Ben Arfa starts ourt on the right wing – and Cisse should be back up front, after being given a rest on Monday night.

If everybody is fit this is the side we’d like to see out on Sunday:

Krul
Simpson Coloccini (c)  Williamson Taylor (R) or Santon
Ben Arfa Cabaye Tiote Guteirres
Ba Cisse

We’re not sure why Pardew has taken off Santon at the half in the last two games,  and it could be a toss-up as to who plays left-back on Sunday – between Santon and Ryan Taylor.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

• ilovetoon8788

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Guthrie should never have been dropped for Cabaye. Cabaye performance has been abysmal since December and he makes the starting line up week after week because of his ‘reputation’. He has not been able to reach the heights of Guthrie’s performances this season. There is no bite in midfield from him. Sometimes disappears from the game totally and that is terrible for a central midfielder.

Is it our football which is always bypassing our midfield completely that is making Cabaye look a hopeless player or is he annoyed with out football which is making him play crap? i don’t know.. but i know i don’t want him in our starting line up next match. Guthrie in for me.

• jayphoto

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM

after watching him in France, i am a huge cabaye fan, talent wise he’s got potential to be a top top player, far better than guthrie! For me, they should both play! For Lille, cabaye played a “quarterback” position, behind 2 central midfielders, kind of like xavi does at barcelona! He’s best when he plays deep with players ahead of him to pick out passes, at newcastle at the moment there is never anything ahead of him and he plays more long balls than anyone because of this! I don’t think its the the style of play he struggles with, as he is more guilty of long balls than most, its the system! Also, possibly the pace of the game, lille played a lot slower and less direct than we do, in france teams build up attack, he had a lot more of the ball! Ive been screaming out to see a team of Cabaye, Tiote, Guthrie and HBA all in the same side as all prefer to play football the right way! In a 4-4-2, i agree and think guthrie has shown more than cabaye!

• Beattie25

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I don’t understand how some of you can have the gaul to pick on Cabaye’s performances when the entire team has been shite since late December.

We just haven’t been good enough and pin pointing Cabaye as an under achiever is stupidity in its finest form as he isn’t the cause for our form droppingg.

Every single player on the pitch hasn’t played poorly with the exception of maybe Krul and recently HBA. Even Ba has not been good enough recently (blame it on fatigue if you wish).

We need a massive clear our in the Summer and some really good players coming in. If we don’t we will struggle next year for certain.

We have been found out pure and simple.

All teams pack the midfield and play us off the park. Cabayes fault? I think not.

• jayphoto

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM

@1 – i don;t think cabaye can be annoyed at our football as he pings it long more than anyone bar Krul!
    hes actually done a bunch of interviews in france this year saying how happy he is at newcastle and how the premier league, newcastle and this season have surpassed his expectations! He’s also said how important it is he feels like to have a manager who trusts him and he was told when he signed that they would built the team around him!

• Dannyo

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Have to disagree with Ed, i want the same exact lineup as against Arsenal, now that will cause some damage.

• LewSpi

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Jayphoto

You might be correct re: Toby, but I can’t say or spell his surname, ergo I’d prefer Douglas. His name is easy.

• JackButler

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Cabaye has done really well considering its his first season in the Premier League, like any new foreign player he needs at least a season to really settle and find the pace and to get used to the physical side of our game, next season he will be a massive player for us if he is given the freedom that he had while playing in France

• wynsleap

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Pardew – we’ll only be under pressure against Norwich if you let them dictate the play (as so many teams have been doing to us lately) and dominate us physically up front.
    For Hell’s sake man start getting this team to show some teeth and let’s get at them.
    It’s Norwich and Grant Holt – not Barcelona and Lionel Messi!

• SBergenwall

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I would suggest that we let Ba rest a game or two since he hasn’t been a sharp after he got back from the africa’s cup of nations and play Cissé and Ameobi (Who has shown a bit of good form) what do you guys think?

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Ed

I’ll tell you what I think mate 😉 I honestly hope we’re done once and for all with our static 4-4-2 formation.

But, I think you might be right that probably going to be the lineup and the formation 😉 lol

I just hope that the Arsenal game has taught Pardew a few pointers 😉

On a side note, my God what a thrill the Gunners are to watch. I am a bit envy I must say.

HWTL

• ilovetoon8788

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM

@Beattie25 // Mar 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM

It doesn’t need alot of gaul to pick on Cabaye. He’s a central midfielder who plays an integral part of how our entire team play. He’s the type of player who is known to dictate play. But does he do that? NO. He’s our playmaker and should make things happen and dictate our attacking movements.

But he’s so shackled, barely moves around and completely disappears from games. Look at Guthrie’s performance at Villa, that was a 1 man midfield performance from him, dragging the entire team along with him and he has kept up that level until he was dropped.

Our whole team has been shi* i agree. But you have to also accept he’s 1 of the guilty ones in performance the shi**est.

• ilovetoon8788

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:44 AM

And i’m also sick of watching very poor teams dominate us completely and see the likes of Krul Cabaye Simpson Willo Colo just hoof it up the field when they can play the easy pass.

• Rowan Milsted

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I don’t fully agree that we’ve been poor since December, though there’s no denying we’ve dropped off a bit. I worry that the amount of running our players do – at one point Tiote and Cabaye had covered more ground per game than any other PL CM pairing – is beginning to take affect and that our players are fatigued.

There are lots of positives to take from the Arsenal game, though I don’t think we managed a single shot on goal in the 2nd half, so from an offensive point of view that isn’t good enough.

Santon was awful in my opinion, which is why he came off I suspect. The result means that we simply have to beat Norwich, hence Pardew’s reference to pressure. I think that if we can play that well this weekend, we’ll bag the 3 points. A clean sheet would be nice, it’s been a while…

• darrenfletcher88

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM

We have had a great season,but Sunday is are biggest game off the season for me,teams closing in on us we need to send a msg out,3 points is a must!!!!!

• Rowan Milsted

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

On a side note, I was quite chuffed to see Pardew went for the exact formation and starting lineup that I predicted (it’s the first time I’ve done it!) and that HBA worked very hard and had a decent game.

Perhaps we’ll see more 4-5-1’s with HBA in the number 10 role – I know we lost the game, but that doesn’t tell the whole story.

I still wouldn’t describe us as a ‘hoof ball’ team, but I see more and more evidence that we play too many long balls and cut out our midfield. I think that Ba hasn’t been so prolific lately simply because we don’t get the ball to his feet enough. We must rectify this, starting now.

• jayphoto

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM

difference between this season and last season – last season we performed to a lot higher standard against against the top 6, but lost games to the lower teams, this season we’re the opposite! we’ve picked up points away to bottom half teams we wouldn’t have got last season ie: stoke, blackburn, wolves, Bolton! Hopefully next season we’ll take points from everyone!

• ballerfan2

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM

This myth that we are a “hoofball” team is getting very irritating. I watched the Pool v Everton game last night and I saw just as many long balls played, perhaps more, than we played on Monday. We played a very good short game on Monday, particularly in the first half and Cabaye was behind most of it. Ideally I would like to see Guthrie as well as Cabaye and Tiote but do you drop Gutti who gets through so much graft on behalf of the team. Guthrie is not effective on the right – proved many times. It is a conundrum as unfortunately we can only play 11.

• Gav

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Cabaye is not the problem our play in the last few games has been the problem. We’ve been playing the long ball from the back effectivly taking Cabaye out of the game, we can’t expect him to make great passes if we dont give him the ball?! Barcelona have got Xavi ( I’m in no way saying were like Barcelona ) and every attack goes thru him. In my opinion we need to get Cabaye on the ball more and start playing some football instead of awful route 1 stuff?

• Rowan Milsted

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM

ballerfan2

Agreed, we’re not a hoof ball team and we do like to play it forward out of defence, but sometimes we lack offensive options and revert to a long ball simply because there are no other options available – that anooys me, and we do need to get more balls to Ba’s feet. having said that, we aren’t a strict long ball team, and sometimes a long ball is very effective – especially against a side like Arsenal. I just wish we had more going on offensively.

• Rowan Milsted

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM

*annoys.

Also, I agree totally that Guthrie isn’t so hot on the right, he’s a CM first and foremost, but as we have Tiote, Cabaye, Raylor, Gosling, Abeid, Vuckic and Perch in the team, it’s hard to give him the playing time he deserves.

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM

ballerfan2

It’s not really about what Pool or Everton does, it’s about what we do and what we set out to do.

Reality is, that Cabaye and Tiote finds it hard to pass the ball cause there is no movement – Tiote looses a lot of balls do to poor pasing and Cabaye finds it hard to be the playmaker that he is.

You can see HBA goes missing at times because the ball in not on the deck where it’s suppose to be – and he looses the ball as well ’cause there is no movement.

What ever the reason is for this it’s affecting our game massively. Our back four does hoof the ball a lot and our CM looses the ball a lot.

For me the formation is partly to blame; it has a lot to do with or static 4-4-2. We still had problems against Arsenal even though we played 4-5-1, mainly because it as well was a bit static.

Switch to 4-3-3 and implement a pass and move style. We have done it before and we can do it again. 4-3-3 has many variations, we just need to find our 😉

• stuart no9

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM

we get played off the park coz technically our players are not good enough and we end up chasing shadows for 90 mins OR AP plays the wrong tactics, it has to be 1 or the other.!

• Marcelinho_Bramble

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

we are playing a stupid LONG BALL TACTICS. even if we got C.Ronaldo and Messi we will still struggle with that fucking tactics

Cabaye during his Lille years played like xavi, love to get the ball and make short SIMPLE passes. Thats the reason Lille won the French League !!!!!

its our tactics that cost us