The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Gabby Obertan Not The Finished Article Yet

10:42 am, Thursday, March 15th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 57 Comments

Gabby Obertan was a surprise inclusion in Newcastle’s starting eleven at the Emirates, and he played quite well in an unusual position for him in the center of the field.

Gabriel Obertan – not the finished article yet

It seems that Alan Pardew is a believer in the Frenchman, and certainly he has the ability to run straight at the opposition and he also possessed a fair bit of skill.

We’ve always though that with the right coaching Gabby vcan turn into a very good players, but he;s not the finished article yet.

And we have absolutely no complaints with the lad’s attitude, as with all of the Frenchman on Tyneside he seems like a top class  professional.

Gabby is just pleased to get a chance in the team, and he had this to say today:

“I am delighted to get a chance. The manager has showed faith in me and I want to repay him.”  “On Monday it was a different position for me. I felt I did OK – I tried to do what the manager had asked me to do.”

“I stayed back in midfield more and was asked to cut off the play to their wingers as much as possible. I did the best I could, unfortunately we lost but that is football – as I say.

“It is obviously difficult to play a different role and come back after time out but it is exciting too.” “Just to be playing football again is very exciting after a long time out but yes, it takes time to get back into it.”

“You do not have the same rhythm as when you play every week so maybe I just need one or two games to get my sharpness back.”   “I was delighted to be on the pitch even though I was disappointed with the way the game ended.”

One reason Obertan left Manchester United was to play more games, and so far this season he has 24 appearances for the Newcastle first team with one goal.

And in his two seasons he was at the Red Devils after singing from Bordeaux in the summer of 2009, he played only 28 times with one goal – so he’s definitely getting the playing time on Tyneside.

And we think (and hope) that Gabby will improve  as he plays more and more games for Newcastle.

What do you think?

Comments welocme..

Tags: Gabriel Obertan · Newcastle News

57 responses so far ↓

• 1 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

He desereves time, He has technique and pace, just needs coaching I feel, Hes a weapon and a good squad player.

Good impact sub late in games, coach him up as a striker i reckon Pace is insane

• 2 wingspan // Mar 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Hmm that headline is a bit of an understatement, bu tim willing to give the kid a chance theres defo some talent in there. Its just at the minute its hidden behind a blanket of self doubt, if the kid was arrogant and cocky by which i mean he has complete and uttwre belief in his ability to be great i think he would be a good player.

Anyway a bit off topic but why do people keep sayin pards bottled it last game?? Didint he take off a midfielder in Oba and bring on Shola? I know it was for his hold up play but i think it was still a positive substitution!

• 3 Beattie25 // Mar 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Not the finished article yet? He’s not even a started article yet!

Ha ha, but seriously folks, he has potential but he has stalled being at man ure. He needs games and confidence and he will come good.

Don’t see him as a winger though more of an attacking players in a forward 3. Coming off the left and using his speed to frighten people.

Give him less responsibility and watch him fly!

• 4 Munster Mag // Mar 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Sorry Ed, but this is one of the most stupid articles I have read on here. Obertan was dreadful the other night, and contributes little more than a few flicks and a lot of headless running, usually after he has lost the ball, or the play has eluded him. He was a poor buy, almost certainly coming out of the conversation between Pardew and Fergie about Twitter. The transfer happended within days. For 3 mill we could have got a lot more talent abroad, and Routledge now looks a better player. He consistently pulls out of tackles, cant cross, or cant get to the byline to cross. Useless useless purchase.

• 5 GeordieToon89 // Mar 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Personally a think the best thing for us to do with Obertan would be too Loan him out to a top end championship team who will use him in the position we want him to be used and in the style of football he’ll thrive… Southampton/Blackpool/Reading/Cardiff would all be good clubs for him to go to until the end of the season and maybe half of next

• 6 Lynxie // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Beattie and geordietoon:
    You guys have hit the nail on the head. Obertans pace may be better employed in a ‘through the middle’ role, in much the same way that Arsene Wenger changed Henry from a poor winger into a feared striker. Obertan has not got the courage to attack full backs, but put him in a race for a through ball, its a no brainer. Loan him out, get him games and confidence, you never know. I just dont think we should be carrying passengers while we are striving to improve, and he is learning how to play the game. Let someone else (lower league, Cardiff, Birmingham, Blackpool) benefit and give him the games he needs. Same goes for Gosling, or else the exit door looms large…….

• 7 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

@Lynxie

Did you watch the first half the other night mate?

Willo and Simmo played the ball along the floor to our CM’S almost every time they had it.

Second haf we bottled it, For parts of that forst half we looked a sgood as we have since Man U Which BTW was one of our best ”HOOFBALL” performances of the season.

Im not saying Willo and simmo are great I think next season their time is up, and I agree that our tactics times have been too direct.

My point on Cabaye is that part of his dip in form looks to be his overall energy level. This could be a contributing factor to the direct style we revert too at times but I think h needs the 4-3-3 to get the best out of him.

Before I post this…I DON NO IN ANY WAY THINK WE ARE AS GOOD OR EVERN CLOSE TO BARCELONA, my point is that we have the players to set up and play in a similar fashion, we just need to pass and move and graft off the ball. It can work look at Swansea

===============Krul/Valdes================
    Simo/Alves==Colo-Puyol=Wilo/Pique===Santon/Abidal
    ==============Tiote/Busquets=================
    ========Cabaye/Xavi========Guthrie/Iniesta======
    =====HBA/Messi===================Cisse/Pedro
    ==================Ba/Villa===================

To be clear, in no way do I feel that our players are even close to Barca’s level but the same philosphy is possible.

Cisse is no winger but does Pedro play as an out an out winger…NO more of a striker really up with Villa, the front three Rotate and move freely. The only Rigid positions are DM and CB……..

Swansea do it with similar/potentially worse players than us…Why cant we….If we added a CM a FB and CB in the summer we will look a quality side
    13 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

• 8 warwick // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Seems strange about the arsenal racist abuse seeing as the massive number of black players and supporters arsenal have over the years.
    These incidents keep cropping up, if true, I’m sure they are isolated, it seems the press wants to make a meal out of all of them lately, for what agenda?

• 9 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

@Martoon

I agree on Jonas mate….either or for me, cheers btw :)

• 10 Beattie25 // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Munster mag you are a goon.

Not even Ronaldo (not a comparison just an example) did well in his first seasonxand a lot of man ure fans were callinghim a useless, useless signing.

You sir are a half witted primate who thinks footballers can be created in the fires of mordor rather than be nurtured, given time and allow confidence to bloom and compliment pure and raw talent.

Stick to throwing one off over routledge you useless, useless blogger.

• 11 nightfa11 // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

i never really rated obertan, but i was really impressed with him in the last few matches.. on monday i thought he was one of our better players..but his problem is he doesnt have the stamina to last the whole 90 minutes.. but overall i was really impressed with him in the first half..

• 12 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM

@Wingspan

Re Pards Bottled it

1st as a i keep saying I m a huge Pards fan

Bringing on Shola and Perch for me was bottling it, I know Sholas a striker but we were in that first half and played pretty well, We were much more in tha game than in the second half, although Perch and Shola did well when they came on, they werent needed imo and neither was a change in tactics

• 13 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM

@nightfa11

Fianlly somebody who watched Obertan in the first half,

He did well, and worked his socks off.

Well done to you sir

• 14 wingspan // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Munster, That cross Routledge made for the Swansea goal at the wknd is the first decent one in 1000s of attempts, he has reached his level and wont get any better. Hes lucky to be playing in the prem in my opinion.

Now Obertan is also lucky to be playing in the prem at the moment too, and he needs to improve massively, but i think the one trhing he has that Routledge doesnt is potential to improve. I think theres a lot more to come from this kid if he gets his head screwed on. Id rather Obertan over Routledge anyday.

• 15 martoon // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Colo-Sus @12 – Got to disagree with you – I think the general opinion on here is that Perch handled Walcott better than Santon (who may have got a slight injury anyway). In the second half we were getting pummeled and the ball was coming straight back at us – putting Shola on held the ball up and relieved some of the pressure (a little).
    Also Pardew gets criticised for negative tactics – putting Shola on was quite a positive move.

• 16 Beattie25 // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM

My prediction for next year echoes Colo-sus

I think we will go 4-5-1/4-3-3 and have the players necessary to change it at any time!

First team:

——————-Cisse——————

Others:

Elliot-GK
    Streete- CB
    Vuckic- AM
    Abied- DM
    Gosling – does anyone know?
    Ameoobi

• 17 Brutooon // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Obertan is part of the unbeatoon team and i like him ONLY if he play right wing

However he got CONFIDENT ISSUES – one min he look decent, the other minute he is SHY

• 18 Londtoon // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM

For me Obertan should be a striker with that pace. Doesn’t have the confidence for the wing at the moment. Potential is there, but seems to bottle it at the last moment instead of running at them. Pace and a 1 on 1 with keeper would be better I think.

• 19 Lynxie // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Colo-Sus:
    Agree with you re Obertan the other night. He played quite well in a position of defensive responsibility, covering and breaking up Arsenal breaks. Agree that Simmo and Willo need to be nowhere near this team next season (why we never strengthened the defence in January is a mystery to me). However, As an attacking threat, Obertan needs to be given a more central assignment, as his pace is truly awesome. Unfortunately he does not have the trickery and skill required of a winger, in order to get behind defences and create chances. A 3 man free moving central attack sould be awesome, such as Ba, Cisse, HBA, and only then do we consider Obertan…….but you need a top top quality midfield behind them, and unfortunately thats where the exit door might open for the likes of Guthrie, Gosling, Jonas, etc. Tiote, Cabaye, and one more defensive midfielder signing (break up / destroyer). We are not far away from having a really good side, and thats a worry, because unfortunately, that means we are not far away from recieving bids for our best players, selling to the highest bidder, and going back to the drawing board.

• 20 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM

@Martoon

Im not saying that Perch and Shola didnt do well mate, I just dont think it was needed.. Yes Shola helped relieve the pressure (a little)

My point is with our footballers on the pitch in the first half, we kept possession better, that secod half just needed us to keep the ball better. Perch did well yes but Santon was not getting hammered as many believe imo…Jonas was just as much (if not more at fault for their fist goal) He was asleep at the restart and totally out of position, watch it back Colo and Santon are screaming at him to get wider and cover Sagna’s run, and when he realises its too late….

• 21 Lynxie // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I like this Izaguirre lad from Celtic. Have seen him a few times and he looks better than Jose Enrique, what more of a compliment could I pay him?
    Interesting that his name has cropped up on here a couple of times. Has he been linked? Would be a terrific signing, with Santon moving to RB?

• 22 wingspan // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

@ Colo I agree with most of what u say on here mate. And its good that im now gonna have a debate with someone with a measured view and not some egit with no clue.

I also had my head in my hands when perchy came on at half time but to be fair to the kid he did very well and i dont think him coming on would of changed the tactics that much. Theo was having a hell of a game, the stats at half time showed that nearly all there attacks were coming down the right. So brinin on a defensive minded player should in theory stop there attacks more and allow Jonas to attack more (which is what i tink a winger should be doing, not covering the full bk all the time)

With regards to Shola coming on, I think Oba had a pretty awful 2nd half, maybe he was tired from the reserve game, but he had some bad touches some terrrible decisions and im guessing the game plan was for him to be running onto Dembas flick ons, but he wasnt getting close. I believe Pards brought in shola to do exactly what he did so well, relieve the pressure on defense and hld the ball up, also for im to win the flicks for demba to run onto ala man utd. So coz demba dropped deeper the tactics didnt change massivly anyway. It was one way traffic in that 2nd half and any relief for the defense was like golddust. Shola provided that very well.

I agree with all of pards tactics on the day coz f we had got that draw we wold all of been very happy. The only thing he should of done is screamed at danny to let someone else take that throwing!! Especiallly if he was injured!! That for me was lunacy, especially against a pacy team against arsenal, And if evidently cost us.

Sorry for the long boring reply lol

• 23 markmac // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

i thought the game was starting to pass obertan by, because we were going long ba was knocking everything on with obertan unable to get on the end of anything . shola came on and held the ball up well, but that was obvioulsy quite a defensive move.

• 24 Jan Stavik // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

He’s quite frustrating Obertan. He’s got pace, strenght and technique, but he’s completely lacking confidence and guts to use it.

If he had more faith in himself he could be a great player for Toon, nowadays he’s not good enough due to the fact that he is not using his ability.

• 25 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Our problem is possession……its obvious……
    We are not patient enough in our build up

ive been saying it for ages!!! KEEP THE EFFING BALL

@Beattie

I like your teams ad obvious;y agree howver cant see us signing Izaguirre…Pieters will be the LB if we get one, and Daime wont cme unless Tioe goes i think, even then its unlikely.
    Sorry mate but as you know Im a realist on the transfers front lol! :);)

• 26 Trent Toon // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I think there is something in his personality that holds him back!

He doesn’t show much emotion and what comes with that is no sign of any drive! The fans pick up on this and see that he doesn’t seem so motivated or really cares and we all get on his bad – which in turn ruins his confidence! He needs to earn his confidence and we need to see him screaming at other players / for the ball. Go into a tackle strong and see him get angry, then we will except him. He needs some grunt!!!!!!!

• 27 Beattie25 // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Its pretty simple really! With santon we look to push forward and attack with much more potency.

When Perch came on we played for the draw. The reason he looked more solid than Santon was cos he had more to do IMO!

We were just shite again I’m afraid

• 28 LGFUAD21 // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Feel bad for him because of the way he has been treated since he came to England. Coach him into the Walcott role. Give him cameos towards the end of games and see where he can go from there.

Regarding HBA. Those are quite impressive stats considering he has come back from injury and only played a bit part this season. Shwos he has bundles of skill.

• 29 wingspan // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Agreed, Keep the ball. We have the players capable of doing it. Football is much harder work when u dont have the ball!! Thats why all our players were knackered because we only had possesion for about 5 mins of that 2nd half!!

• 30 GeordieToon89 // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Lynxie – Tbf mate Anthony Stokes looks better than Rooney going on the scottish league haha.. Would much prefer Enrique over any of the LBs weve been linked with but that aint going to happen so after Enrique it would have to be:
    1) Aly Cissokho £7million
    2) Eric Pieters £5million
    3) Neil Taylor £4million
    4) Emilo Izaguirre £5million

• 31 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

@wingspan

Haha not at all mate goopd reply not boring! and thanks for your compliment.

I see your point, and agree in part, I think Perch did well also and can see the logic. I just Dont think it was all down to Santon, I think Jonas had a poor game the other night and if anything should have been the one brought off. People forget Santon outpaced Walcott twice firdt half and didnt defend badly, he looked worse because Arsenals best player in the first Half Was Sagna, Jonas usually good in defense was poor on Monday and Santon was basically double teamed. But yes Perch ans Shola both did well.

My over all point is if we kept the ball better and were not a cheap in giving it away, We wouldnt need to make such changes and coulf push for the win next time.

• 32 wingspan // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Beattie

Shite is harsh. They have a team of much more technical players, a draw at the emirates is a good result.
    I agree you should never start a game with drawing in mind but with half an hr to go with everyone getting tired u would take a draw all day,

• 33 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

@beattie @wingspan

Wingspan has a point there Beattie mate,

We werent Sh*te, thats a bit harsh, we just get odd bits wrong, Its Possesion thats the issue, we are too keen to get up field and half the time BA gets the ball to early, or we miss glring balls through (BA could have put Benny through about 6 times when he broke clear but chose the worng ball at the wrong time) Its just basics and attacking movement imo.
    With 1 or 2 quality additions and technical players, we have a serios side, but we need to play more football and keep the ball

• 34 wingspan // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Colo

Yup 100% agree. Ball possesion is so important. Gives everyone a breather, makes the other team chase it. The annoying thing is we have players capable of pinging passes about and everytime the ball goes bk to Tim you know its gonna get hoofed up.

I also agree about Jonas, apart fromt he goal against wolve hes been poor of late the worse thing to happen for his season was Marv getting injured. He seemed to really push on when he had competition for his place. Now he knows he will be plaing everywk.

My team for Norwich is the same as u posted mate:
    Krul
    Raylor Willo Colo Santon
    Tiote
    Cabaye Guthrie
    HBA Cisse Ba

Tho demba on the left, The biggest problem i thin we have when playing 442 is the link up with the midfield to rthe attackers in the middle of the park. The gap is always waaaay to big so needs a worldy pass or get it out wide and cross it which is predictable and easy to defend.

I hope antons confidence isntshot after being subbed at half time twice too coz the kids got talent, and also this formation makes space for danny who i think deserves it for his performances this season and would persuade im tr stay.

• 35 martoon // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

wingspan @22 – I agree 100% with your assessment of the game. Shola came on later in the second half to try and relieve pressure because the ball was coming straight back at us.
    Beattie it’s hard to look good against an Arsenal team at home in full flow – even Milan didn’t look that clever.

• 36 jimmymagpie // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Blimey, there’s a range of opinions on here today. For what it’s worth I’ll throw in a conversation a few of us had with a very well respected former Magpies midfielder as we left the Emirates the other night. He wanted to know what all the fuss about Cabaye was, as he had watched him in 3 away games since the turn of the year, as well as on TV, and thought him to be completely ineffective. He didn’t get any argument from us, and as he was leaving us he turned around and shouted back, “that Italian full-back is no defender,either”. Personally I would like to see Santon given a game in right midfield, as the lad himself has publicly stated that he prefers to play further forward. If Raylor had been fit, I don’t think that he would have played.

• 37 brettsinsa // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Im actually fine with Obers i think out of position he did quite well the other night HBA was also getting his groove back, BUT untill we can replace Willow at cb with a more athletic version ie someone who doesnt turn like the QE2 and who can read the game and doesnt hang on to players and give away needless penalties all the time we will struggle at the back Collo deserves a better partner.

SA GEORDIE OUT

• 38 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM

@Jimmymagpie

Well that settles it then…as he is a former player he must be right lol!

• 39 jimmymagpie // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Just to put things in perspective – 5 wins in the last 17 league games, 18 if you include the pathetic loss at Brighton. The chasing pack are closing fast, and we’re conceding goals at an average of 2 per game since Saylor’s injury, which tells it’s own story, and Willo is totally to blame!

• 40 Munster Mag // Mar 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Thats rich Beattie, coming from a morbid whingebag of a fan who constantly moans about the manager who has been the architect of our success. I guess if he was Shearer you’d call him a legend. Tool. Obertan was shocking the other night, and consistently pulled out of tackles. I appreciate that he was out of position but if we can get players like Cabaye for not a lot more abroad, then we should have looked abroad for a right winger too. And apart from his excellent finish when he ran from the half way line, I see no reason to play this guy the way Wenger did Henry. The only thing in common is that both are / were quick. Like any fan, i want all players to do well, but this guy still hasnt shown much despite many many chances.

• 41 jimmymagpie // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Colo – it was hard to disagree with him, and I’ve seen every game except Liverpool. Pardew obviously agrees – when did you last know of a player taken off at half time in 2 successive games?

• 42 Munster Mag // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Jimmy, i’ve said from kick off that Santon doesnt look confortable when being run at by a full back. I love other aspects about him, but Enrique was a far more effective player one on one against a winger. Almost impossible to beat on his day.

• 43 jimmymagpie // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Munster – what success? I presume you are talking about our PRESENT league position. Wait and see where we are at the end of the season. I presume you don’t mean our painful cup defeats at Stevenage and Brighton?

• 44 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

@jimmymagpie

Santon is the same kid that ”defended” Ronaldo out of the game a few years ago..

The other night he was overrun by Walcott and Sagna at times…and ill say to you this…I bet you that former player though the same thing about a certain Jose Enrique in his first season…Who by the way was nowhere near as good as Santon has been Defensively. So i totally disagree.Jonas was poor the other night and left Santon isolated by Arsenals right hand side blitz.

Cabaye I agree was been worse than he was early season, but is still a quality player in the making imo. Just needs us to play to his strengths IE play it on the ground. The guys a french international and a league winner (in which team he was the playmaker). Early season v Villa away etc he was immense, just short of a little form..It happens to all players even the best in the world.

Sorry mate but on that basis i dont agree with this ”ex pro”

No dlight on you there btw ;)

• 45 jimmymagpie // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Munster – I agree with you @ 42. I like Santon, but not as a defender. I remember someone saying that the good defenders are the ones who enjoy defending, and Santon does not enjoy defending on his own admission. We are struggling at the back since Saylor was injured. Results and goals conceded don’t lie, even Colo has struggled in certain games without the physicality of Saylor alongside him.

• 46 Colo-Sus // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I meant there that Enrique was not a s good as Santon Defensivley in his FIRST SEASON…after this Jose grew into a quality all round LB as we all know

• 47 jimmymagpie // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Colo – I don’t kniw if you go to games or not mate, but Santon has been found wanting positionally and badly, that’s why he’s been withdrawn in both recent matches. You cannot expect Jonas, who has his own job to do, to continually bale out a poor full back. Believe me, Ba will soon get pis-ed off having to play the kind of isolationist role he had to the other night.

• 48 Munster Mag // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Colo,overall i like santon, no issue there. But we are pre-supposing that players come good, and sometimes they dont. I’m more concerned about the likes of Obertan who have shown so little, although Beattie clearly gets a semi when his name is mentioned. Guti and Cabaye have fallen away dramatically, and i sometimes wonder if Cabaye thinks Pardew was lying to him when he talked about the type of football we would be playing when we signed him up? Cabaye is a lovely player , with a really petulant attitude mind u.

• 49 jesperfuglsang // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I don’t see Obertan as a winger in the 4-4-2 sense of the word nor a striker.

He’s one of those players along side HBA, Vuckic and Jonas that don’t fit into your current 4-4-2 formation.

Obertan is part of the attack either in a 4-3-3 or as an ACM playing wide in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

But since Pardew doesn’t want to play like that, these players will keep om being some sort of enigma – puzzle if you will, that’s hard to fit in and get the best out of.

As Colo-Sus says, he needs time and games, but mostly as an impact sub.

• 50 Troleibusiukas_LTU // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Obertan was quite good in the first half in CAM :)

• 51 John // Mar 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM

He lacks confidence, like to see him shoot more and become more direct like ronaldo was at utd run at people cause problems he tends to get scared maybe a drop down to championship wud do the trick til end of season have him back for pre season in top form.

• 52 Sav // Mar 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Not for me. Its not about stamina. Its about being able to see a pass, not running down a blind alley, and having the grit to fight back when you give the ball away (or bettter again, don’t give it away in the first place).
    Obertan has had 24 appearances in the first team. I’ve seen enough. Sorry, but he hasn’t cut the mustard and I’ve seen nowt to suggest he’s getting there.
    Alan Smith, Nicky Butt, Obertan – only Simpson has come up to scratch. Fergie switched Big Sam’s bottle of wine for Ribena and I reckon he’s done something similar with this lot.

• 53 Toontappy // Mar 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Obertan did well 1st half I thought,he’s gunna be quality for us in time,I love players with pace and skill,he just needs to work on his distribution,he moves around the pitch with a certain grace,he’ll be a top player i’m sure of it….

• 54 max // Mar 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

i hope he can scores

• 55 geordiejamie89 // Mar 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Completely disagree. Obertan was very poor. His first touch was worse than mine, and I’m tonk. His best ability is his pace and acceleration, he would have been an asset on the right hand side, with Hatem where he was.

• 56 Munster Mag // Mar 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Jesper, sorry man but again and again on this site, fans talk sh1t about tactics to cover for various arguments. You could stick Obertan in a 3-2-2-2-1 formation or whatever you like and it wouldnt matter. If the guy wont tackle enough, doesnt use his speed enough, crosses badly and lack confidence, then no formation will really change him over 90 minutes. He was awful the other night, abysmal. Jimmy, 7th to us is success at the moment. We cant measure a club by trophies because there are too few to win. We are improving, thats all I can ask for. But the form on Guti , Cabaye and others worries me and i can see us slipping more. I still like, and rate, Pardew though. Norwich will tell us much….

• 57 davis_toons // Mar 16, 2012 at 4:10 AM

B y Playing with HBA Obtan will improve on his other side of his game.

He have got the pace and some pony tricks passsing, was ok…but not the rest.

He needs to do less of his trick as they are not working out too well unless he improve on them.

If Obtan was selected infront of HBA because of his defensive workrate.
    I would says that Obtan wasnt that great either. Properly worst then Giggs at his present age.

previous post: Ben Arfa Has Worked Hard To Improve His Game