It’s No Good Worrying About Arsenal Defeat – It’s Gone

When you go through any season,  there are always going to be the highs and lows.

John Carver – forget about Arsenal

And Newcastle have had many of them this season, with a big low being on Monday night at the Emirates Stadium, when Newcastle came within a minute of holding a rampant Arsenal side to a 1-1 draw.

That was a result I was reminded I had predicted on an Arsenal blog,  in an interview before the game – that was close – but pure luck!

Arsenal got the winner in the 5th minute of stoppage time,  and it was a crushing blow for both the players and the fans.

But John Carver has rightly come out today and said it’s over, using the words of Roy Orbison, and there’s no point in dwelling on the last gasp defeat.

And the lads now have to push ahead,  and there would be nothing better than a home win against Norwich City on Sunday afternoon at St. James’ Park.

And there were many positives that Alan Pardew and the rest of the Newcastle coaches can take out of the game, not least of which was the form of Ben Arfa, who not only scored a brilliant goal, but also worked his socks off for the side, and it was great to see.

The mercurial Frenchman could even have been our Man of the Match on Monday, if I had remembered to include him in the team.

That gaffe will give significant hope to those of our readers who think they may be just a little incompetent. 😀

Geordie coach John Carver was at Norwich last Sunday to see Wigan gain a valuable point in the 1-1 draw, and Wigan looked the better side in that game in the second half, that we also watched on TV

Carver told the local Newcastle press today:

“I think the most important thing is we don’t ponder Monday night.” “I said to the lads we got a late equaliser against Sunderland, and conceded against Arsenal.”

“If we got a choice, I know which one I would pick. It’s no good worrying about that – it’s gone.” “We’ve got a home game we have to win.” “It’s going to be tough.

“I watched the game against Wigan, and  Wigan did extremely well against them, and probably should’ve won the game.” “They’ll be looking to bounce back after a draw at home.”

“Their performances away from home have been extremely good, and we know they like to get it down and play football.”

“I think it’s set up for a good game.” “The effort and commitment has been fantastic.” “We’ve got to continue that work.”

We are big believers in Ben Arfa and we have to remember it’s really his first full season in the English Premier League and there are definite signs he is converting his game to become  a better player in England.

Cheick Tiote and Ryan Taylor are doubts on Sunday but we’ve noticed Alan Pardew is coy about injuries, and he never mentioned that Ryan was injured before the Arsenal game.

Of course the reason is that Alan wants to keep the opposition thinking and in the dark about the starting eleven, but don’t be surprised if one or even both of them are in the starting line-up on Sunday afternoon.

It’s not exactly a must win game against Norwich, but if the lads show the same skill and commitment and spirit on Sunday, that they showed on Monday night, we have a very good chance of picking up 3 points.

Howay The Lads!!

• Toon_Tom

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Id say it is a must win game this weekend in order to stay above Liverfool and the remaining chasers!

• Klatoon

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM

AP said nothing about Raylor’s injury then it was all over twitter that he wouldnt play. Did he really disclose that on his account because i recall Enrique getting into trouble for doing that last season.

• wingspan

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

REPOST FROM LAST THREAD

Boys i dont wanna be the pessimist here but we are not 4 players away from a top team, no way! Mancity, Man utd guaranteed top 4 next season, spurs alreasdy have an amazing squad, Arsenal have a decent squad and were no way near 4 player off having the calibre of squads they have and dont forget that they will be adding in the summer too. Then youve got chelsea who are also better and have massive financial backing.

I hate liverpool so dont want to mention them because i dont think our squads are too far apart currently, it depends on how well each team buys in the summer i suppose. Hopefully liverpool stick to there track record and we stick to ours.

So were 4 players off a squad that can consoildat 6or7th next yr in my eyes which is still a great achievement for a club that was relegated a couple of seasons ago.

I dont like being the pessimistic but i like being realistic. The success of our early season was largely because of us doing better than expected, which creates good feeling. If u sent expectations too high, the pressure can become too much and things come crumbling down. Look how weve stuttered of late because there is nw the pressure of qualifying for europe.

Dont set your expectations too high!!

• wingspan

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

W

• wingspan

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Woops i meant top 4 team in the first sentence, not top team. I think were a top team 🙂

• Klatoon

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM

4 players from being a top 4 team,ofcourse we are, if we get

Messi,Ronaldo,Xavi,D.Alves 🙂

• Toon_Tom

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM

wingspan – i have to agree there. We need to keep ahold of our top players this summer and invest in a few new names.

CB top of the list
    LB/RB needed
    Forward

In CARR we trust!!!

• Beattie25

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Through all my moaning and defeatism I must say that I was not troubled by the fact we were beaten by Arsenal, it was the manner of the defeat and the recent performances that have my back up.

That game on Monday was there for the taking and a braver team couldn’t taken 3 points neverind dropped 1.

Moments of brilliance this season have been overshadowed by prolonged lack of quality and I am fed up of under performing.

• Phatoon

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

As it stands, we would have to assume that the following players will be leaving for definite in the summer (unless new contracts are signed):

Harper (GK)
    Smith (CM)
    Guthrie (CM)
    Lovenkrands (ST)

From what I can see that leaves us with:

Goalkeepers:

Ameobi (Sho)
    Ranger
    Xisco

Utiliy Players:

Perch
    R Taylor

In my opinion, if we were to start the season without losing any of the above, we would need (hoping that we get a Europa League spot):

1 Backup Goalkeeper
    1 Exp CB
    1 Young CB
    1 RB
    1 LB
    1 Exp CM
    1 Exp Winger (Right)

Having said that, I can see Simpson leaving (if he does not sign a contract soon).

If Guthrie signs a new contract then we would probably manage for CM.

I shouldn’t really even consider Xisco but technically he is ours.

I think Ranger needs to be loaned out so he can get confidence (then Ashley need to “remove” his friends from existence).

Players I would like to see come in:

1 Backup Goalkeeper – Elliot is probably ok, but from what I have seen of him, I wouldn’t like him to go in for a long stint if something happened to Krul

1 Exp CB – Douglas would be good as he would be cheap (only agents fees)

1 Young CB – Quite like that M’Biwa guy – he could also function as a Right Back from what I’ve seen. He has bags of experience for a young player too.

1 RB – Would like to see Clyne as he looks exciting and is good at attacking.

1 LB – Pieters wouldn’t be a bad shout, could also fill in at CB

1 Exp CM – dependent on Guthries contract position, that Corgnet guy could fill that, unless he goes somewhere else (Arsenal) or stays put.

1 Exp Winger (Right) – Hoilett is available for free, although he is probably going to end up at a “big club/club that pay him loads of money”

If Ranger goes out on loan and Xisco goes (by whatever means) we could probably do with another Striker – a young one like Rhodes would be good.

That actually seems like a lot of players…. but I don’t think it would be bank breaking amounts as some are on “frees”.

Before you say it, I’m not even thinking about any of our big players being sold…..

• wingspan

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM

haha Klatoon, Yeah them 4 wud do nicely!

• wingspan

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM

On the subject of Hoilett i have a friend who is a blackburn supporter and he says he is usualy the laziest player on the park, can produce a few moments of magic for sure but i think currently he doesnt tfit into pardews ethos of a player, if he thinks he can change him (like benny) we should 100% go for him because he has undoubted talent

• Beattie25

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Wingspan.

I’m a pessimist, a defeatist and always see the bad before I see the good but I must disagree with you.

4 top quality players added to the team could see us challengng the top 4 no problem.!

I mean we challenged them this year with some crap players but lacked the depth to retain any challenge.

Adding 4 first team players and some much needed depth would take us into that bracket of top 4 contenders.

I’m not saying we would be top 4 but there or there abouts.

So I think your horribly wrong in your assesment.

• billy

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Pity pardew wasnt gone to!

• davis_toons

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:21 PM

By Adding 4 first team “avg players” and get some much needed depth is actually alittle ..

..when is better to add 2 real quality players per window/season.

Talking about quality and quantity.
    They are signing long contracts and its hard to get rid off with a pool of avg playing squad. ie, gurithe, Rtylor, Simpson, Williamson, and some in the current 1st 11 i rather not mention.

Best is to get 1 real quality if we could attract and sign him up.