Newcastle Still Pursuing This French Left Back?

Newcastle have done extremely well this season so far, and we only hope the lads can keep the good form over the remaining 10 games of the season.

Cheikh M’Bengue – Toulouse and Senegal

At the moment we have 44 points from our 28 games,  but only two of those points have been picked up in the last  four games – so 3 points against Norwich on Sunday afternoon would be great.

We have no idea what points total we could end up with,  but with a decent run in we could possibly reach 60 points, with 16 points from the last ten games, and that would be excellent.

The Journal (Mark Douglas) is reporting today that Newcastle are still wanting to bring in a left footed left back, and maybe in that case Davide Santon, who is improving in his first season on Tyneside, would switch over to right back.

Davide is still learning,  but he is a better player than Jose Enrique was in his first season on Tyneside, and Davide is younger by almost exactly a year than Jose was,  when he joined Newcastle in the summer of 2007.

We think Davide can well turn out to be a top player at Newcastle in the future, and he’s being handled very well by manager Alan Pardew this season – and we expect the Italian to be better next term for sure.

Newcastle never really lost interest in Dutch full back Erik Pieters,  and they nearly signed him last summer, but Erik really struggled at left back against England on 29th February, leap day, against both Adam Johnson and Daniel Sturridge.

So we didn’t think he looked too good in that game although he is flexible, and can play at center-back too, and at 6’1″ he’s tall enough to play there too.

Newcastle have been interested in 26 year-old Taye Taiwo, but he hasn’t looked anything special for QPR since January, where he is on loan from AC Milan, because he couldn’t get his game in Milan.

Last summer Newcastle were interested in 22 year-old Toulouse left-back Cheikh M’Bengue, who has only played for his home town club, with 110 appearances (104 starts) and two goals for the French side.

And Cheikh, who stands 6′ tall,  made his debut last July for Senegal, after representing France 12 times at U21 level, and Newcastle may go back in for this lad this summer to again test the waters.

Cheikh is known for his tough tackling, and he may be a better buy than Pieters, with his price being around £5M.

It would certainly be good to get a talented young left-footed left back in,  over the summer.

Which other left backs should Newcastle be interested in?

• LGFUAD21

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

In response to Billy on the last thread

“billy

Indeed. Unlike you I have managed to progress past primary school and into university and in doing so i passed the legal drinking and voting age of 18. Such a lifestyle allows me to spend my days sleeping.

Don’t worry though Billy, you will get your first pubes one day.

God normally I dont like to get involved in the slating on here but I find these “

• GeordieToon89

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I’d rather get Pieters, couple of reasons
    1) He wont be going to the ACON
    2) He’s better judging on the defending Cheik was doing at the ACON
    3) Ad imagine he’ll be slightly cheaper
    4) He’s more versatile

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Must say that I agree GT89, plus Pieters and Krul are good mates and that could only serve to keep Krul at the club long term if he has a very good friend there from home, although I can see Krul staying regardless because he is an honorary Geordie anyway

• LGFUAD21

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM

And M’Bengue would be a steal for £5m. I hihgly rate him. This is what we need in our defense.

Although I wouldnt be too confident in Santon as RB without Jonas protecting him.

Or we could switch Jonas Right, HBA in the hole and put Marveaux on the left

• ted

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Who will we sell to buy him?

• ted

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:13 PM

LGFUAD21 You mean you go to Uni and get into all that debt to come to those conclusions?

• LGFUAD21

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM

ted

im afraid i dont see what you are getting at?

• niafron

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Bonsoir messieurs.

Lot of better LB than him.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Billy/Ted you have outed yourself as being one and the same by posting the same comment under your two pseudonyms. Really is sad.

• niafron

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I repeat myself, but signing Trémoulinas would be a good move.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Bonjour Niafron! How are things my friend? Happy with HBA’s performance against Arsenal? Sign of things to come?

• niafron

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM

LGFUAD21

Yes, that’s right, you english people tend to prefer physicals FB.

• Dannyo

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM

@niafron
    Who is he if u don’t mind me asking?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Is Tremoulinas more of a ball playing LB Niafron?

• LGFUAD21

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM

niafron

I think its because the english league certainly used to be very physical. Having a player that knows how to go inproperly and kill attacks gives you confidences. I always considered Enrique a physical defender

• niafron

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM

@Ruddy

A performance who wasn’t unoticed in France. But to be honnest, i got no doubt about what Beny could become, and now he seem to have found a way to communicate with Pard, so i pay more attention to the team as a whole.

And this defeat was a heartbreaker. Was really sad to watch…

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:36 PM

It was a devastating way to lose the game I agree. I thought Benny was excellent in the first half but as we were forced to retreat deeper and deeper in the second half he had much less ability to get involved in the game, still thought he performed very well as a whole though. His work rate looked much improved, he was working hard and of course the goal was taken very well and goes to show the type of flashes of brilliance he can bring to the side. I don’t think any of use doubted his ability but just wanted to see hard work go hand in hand with his undoubted skill and I think we caught a glimpse of that on Monday

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Us not use in previous post

• niafron

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Trémoulinas talking of the way to make a good cross (yes, this is in french, but you can still see some oh his highlights in this vid):

• -Tendo-

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Manchester united’s Europa clash with Athletic Bilboa reminds me of a night out i had when i got diarrhoea

Sh*t over both legs

• niafron

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM

He got an excellent cross techniques as you can see, but he’s also good defensively.

He need a new challenge now, so the PL would be perfect for him.

• niafron

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM

He’s 26 year old, and he got only one season of contract remaining.

He was one of Bordeaux’s best players when they won the title a couple of season ago. He got the experience of the CPL.

The price could be 5, 6 or 7 £M.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Think it will be very interesting to see how we reinforce the first team this summer.

Smith, Lovenkrands are definitely leaving. Guthrie and Simpson might be leaving. Ranger, Xisco, Gosling are possibilities for the door also. So by that reckoning we will need 2/3 defenders, 1 CM possibly and 2 strikers.

Depending on the types of players he brings in will show how the team will be going forward, whether it will be attractive flowing football or stifling 4-4-2 so the summer time will be interesting.

• niafron

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Got to go lads. See you sunday to watch the game.

Bonne soirée messieurs.

• Ketsbaia9

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM

The obvious player that we need to sign is Aly Cissokho. This would be a sensible signing and we’d be an attacking threat down the left. Don’t think Pieters is our solution. I recommend that we should sign these players:

Cissokho
    Mbiwa
    Vertonghen/Aldeldewereld
    Hoillet
    Diame
    Rodellaga

Total spend = £23m

• Ketsbaia9

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

And Marvin Martin or Boudebouz if Soucheau go down. Maybe we will have to let Cabaye go to Man U?

• Klatoon

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Aye Niafron

Benoit Tremoulinas would be an ace signing and it might be a good time for him to leave France too,was recently in trouble for drink-driving

• cheick Norris

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

@26 don’t say such horrible things lol. how much you think they’d have to offer for us to accept?

• cheick Norris

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

it’ll be very interesting to see who we sign and if predictions of a 4-3-3 switch come true. id write a formation featuring those we’re linked with spotting into our team but i can’t be bothered with this mobile

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I would be happy with one of these for Sunday:

A:

——-WILLIAMSON—–COLOCCINI—–

SANTON————————FERGUSON/JONAS

—–GUTHRIE—–AHBEIB——CABAYE—

—————-BEN ARFA————–

———–CISSE———BA———–

————————————————
    SUBS: ELLIOT, Vukcic, Ahbeid, Shola, Perch, Jonas/FERGUSON, GOSLING.

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM

cheik

I don’t think he’s impressed enough for them to be interested to be honest. But if Cabaye wanted to leave, I think we’d probably accept £20m – £25m.

Although, I’ve just pulled that figure out of my ass (:

• cheick Norris

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM

@31 what i want to know tds is how you fit £20-25 million in your ass and who put it there?

• Tsunki

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM

..and of course how can we do that too? 🙂

• Tsunki

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Have the kids gone to bed yet I was thinking of chiming in if the Troll Trinity are defo gone.

Just so I can catch up because I’ve read nowt today, what are the definite injuries for sunday? Tiote?

• Tsunki

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Troleibusiukas_LTU – I like your selection c. best.

• wynsleap

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:20 PM

If someone offered £20-25 million for Cabaye I’d snap their hand off.
    Going on present performances we’d be lucky to get £5 -7 million (and THAT’s mainly on reputation not form).
    And having seen Pieters taken apart against England I think we should spread our net further. Two cracking full backs playing for Bilbao last night.

• steve

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Evening lads,

If we are talking about a new full back I would go with Azpiluceta from Marseille. I’ve only watched him a couple of time to be honest but he looked great. Probably a bit on the expensive side of life though. I agree Tremoulinas would also be a good move.

• steve

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Quiet on here tonight…

• Toon Tang

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

were pursuing this lad like a fat infant pursues the teet of the overflowing udder.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Aye steve

As Tsunki put it The Troll Trinity came on a p!55ed everyone off.

Does anyone have anything solid on the injury front other than whats Willie Mackay said. Im sure Tiote will be fine, not sure about Simmo and whats the word on Raylor.

My team for Sat/ or the team I think Pards will play is this

Simmo Willo Colo Santon
    HBA Tiote Cabaye Jonas
    Cisse
    Ba

If Simmo is injured he’ll put Raylor in. If Raylor is also injured it’ll be Perch at LB.

If Tiote is injured it’ll obviously be Guthrie.

I think thats how it should be. With the amount of points we have dropped I wouldnt want to risk youngsters like Abeid or Fergie that people are branding around because you’re never sure how it’ll pan out so would rather have someone like Raylor or PErch filling in positions they have experience in. Fergie has look good when he has played, gots lots of energy and pace but I feel thats because he has only really made cameos when players are already tired.

If we played any youngsters then I reckon it should be Vuckic in the hole. It’d be nice to see either him or Cisse play because we havent seen much of Cisse and I want to see how much Vuckic has developed. I’ve been hearing he has quite a bit a Cardiff.