Newcastle vs Norwich – Match Preview

It’s another important game this afternoon against Norwich City,  and Newcastle will be hoping to register their first win in five games, to keep us on track for a top seven finish and possible Europa League qualification.

After the heart-breaking events of last Monday night at the Emirates Stadium,  when our lads came so close to getting a valuable point against the back in form Gunners machine, it will be important for Newcastle to get back to their winning ways.

Just two points form the last four games is one of the worst runs in the league for the side this season, but it’s nothing that all 3 points this afternoon wont put right.

Starting against Manchester City on November 19th, Newcastle went 6 games with only two draws (Man United and Swansea) and four defeats (Man City, Chelsea, Norwich and West Brom), before we got back to our winning ways and hammered Bolton 2-0 at the Reebok Stadium.

So we’ve had worse runs then the one we are currently in, and have come back well.

And Newcastle have shown before that they are a resilient side, and can bounce back from some difficult games.

Newcastle have three injury doubts with Ryan Taylor definitely not being available, and both Danny Simpson and Cheick Tiote being doubts for this game.

It seems, according to manager Alan Pardew,  that both Danny and Cheick are 50-50 for the game, and they will both have very late fitness tests today, but we’d be surprised if at least one of them is not in the starting line-up today.

With Frenchman Ben Arfa coming into some of his top game-winning form,  we expect him to retain his position out on the right wing, and it was really great to see him work so hard for the side on Monday night.

We’ll assume everybody is fit except Ryan Taylor,  and of  course Newcastle have long term injuries to Steven Taylor, Leon Best and Sylvain Marveaux.

This is the team we think Alan Pardew will start this afternoon in a 4-4-2 formation:

Krul
Simpson (Perch) Coloccini (c)  Williamson Santon
Ben Arfa  Tiote (Guthrie) Cabaye Gutierrez
Ba Cisse
Subs: Elliot Perch Ferguson Guthrie Gosling Obertan Ameobi (Sh)

Let us know what your team would be,  and who would replace Simpson and Tiote, if they cannot make it.

That’s a strong side, even if Pardew has to start Perch and Guthrie, because both lads have shown this season they are decent  squad players,  and can get the job done when they come into the side.

Newcastle looked in good form in the second half against Sunderland and in the game last Monday night at Arsenal.

If we can show the same form today against Norwich City,  there has to be a good chance the lads can get the win, which in all honesty is what we desperately need,  if we are finish in the top six this season.

We have to hope the defense is again tight, and that Hatem Ben Arfa is in good form out on the right wing, and maybe we can get another goal from our mercurial Frenchman, Ben Arfa  this afternoon – and even two? 😀

And talking about goals,  both our Senegal strikers Demba Ba and Papiss  Cisse are due some goals,  and we have to hope these lads are on form and can take even the half chances that are on offer this afternoon.

If Newcastle cannot win this afternoon, then it would suggest we will probably have difficulty making the top six or top seven this season, although it’s still only one game of course.

But if we are to really qualify for the Europa league these are the game s we have to win.

A win would be a fantastic result for Newcastle,  and would take us to 47 points for the season, one point more than we gained all of last season.

That cannot be bad!

Howay The Lads!!

• Tooooon

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

We must win this game… howay the lads.

My team:

-krul—simmo—willo–collo–santono–HBA–Tiote–cabaye–Jonas—Cisse—Ba–

• Dannyo

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

————————Krul————————
    ——Santon – Willo – Collo – Fergy———
    Obertan – Cabaye – HBA – Abeid – Jonas
    ————————Ba————————–

Subs: Elliott, Perch, Vuckic, Shola, Cisse, Guthrie, Dummet

That’s what my “dream team” of the day looks like.

• Tooooon

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Dannyo, playing 5 in midfield against Norwich at home? Please…

• Tooooon

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

As if Gary Nevilles grandparents called their child and Gary Nevilles dad ‘Neville’ haha ridiculous:

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Beattie

Seeing as I don’t recall mentioning Arsenal at any point, I don’t think your post warrants a response.

• Beattie25

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Toooooon

I dont see eye to eye with Dannyo but when I think he is right I will say so.

His 4-5-1 is a great idea as it can shift very quickly into a 4-3-3 and that constantly will unsettle Norwich and allow us to win the midfield battle. I would howver not pick the same players as I would have Guthrie in for Ober and Put Benny on the right, apart from that though I thnik Dannyo has it pretty sussed imo.

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Dannyo

Would you have HBA out wide, or through the middle?

The only couple of times he’s played centrally he drifts out wide anyway, and the thought of him 1 on 1 with any ful back is a nice one.

• Beattie25

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

ToonArmyDownSouth may have been the culprit so may I formally extend my apologise and eat a slice of humble pie.

I am sorry I mistook you for one with a similar name and hope that we can move on from this.

However I still don’t like Dannyo

Ha ha

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM

If it was me picking the side I would play a 4-5-1, Cab and Guthrie playing CM with Tiote playing as DM. Jonas on the left and Benny on the right. Ba leading the line on his own.

Thoughts anyone? Agree. Disagree. Totally away with the fairies? lol

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I would be happy with one of these:

A:

——————KRUL—————

——-WILLIAMSON—–COLOCCINI—–

SANTON————————FERGUSON/JONAS

—–GUTHRIE—–AHBEIB——CABAYE—

—————-BEN ARFA————–

———–CISSE———BA———–

I would go with B: and Vukcic in for Obertan at half time or vice versa, also Shola as a super sub, and give Ahbeid or Gosling a chance.

• faustinolookedcold

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

tooooon as dumb as it is his name is nevile nevile. and i think if obertan is played at all they should try him in behind the striker? and at long last benny boy has made a case to start hwtl

• markmac

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

perch has done a decent job lately [touch wood] but think id switch santon to RB and bring fergy in at LB hes got pace and a decent delivery for the front 2!

• Ketsbaia9

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Krul

Santon Perch Coloccini Ferguson

Gutierrez Tiote Cabaye Ben Arfa

Cisse Ba

• Ketsbaia9

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM

If Tiote can’t make it, I’d put Abeid in. Decent composed player.

• Marty-Toon

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Didn’t AP say that cisse needed a rest?

• Arfa Chance

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Perch LB, Santon RB, Guthrie straight back in if Tiote is out, and try Gutierrez RW and HBA LW, 4-4-2.

• gazzaforever

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I m glad to see that everybody s now put benny as a starter, even this tit of dannyo

• StuW

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM

2-0 win. It will be tough, Norwich showed they are no pushovers last time we played, but we have home advantage.

• geordiejamie89

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I would have Ben Arfa and Shola and Papiss and Demba on at the same time. 4-1 is coming!

• Sgt. Heagerty

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Most of the lads who are on this bologna weren’t here two years ago when we spent the better part of 2 months hoping, wishing, ans praying this lad would come to the toon. GEORDIE TOON ARFA I dubbed him at the time. This blot has changed so much since then. Its hard for me to comment anymore. I will always read the bologna but the comments of the newer people to this blot sicken me at times. We are bloody 6th in the league less two seasons removed from the biggest crisis in club history. We were on the brink of administration. Had been relegated with a core group of so called superstars ( overpaid over the hill no heart mercenaries) and still the toon army stuck by the club on this blog. I haven’t posted on here in almost a month due to.some of the utter shite I have read on here. Some people were calling for the sacking of the best gaffer we have had since sir Bobby Robson. Some people were bashing our players. Some were not satisfied with our current spot in the table. This sickens me. What drew me to Newcastle United in 2004 when I was fighting for my life in Baghdad was the Geordie pride and spirit. The heart and grit of the club. The history of the club. But mainly the tenacity, spirit, never say die, uncompromising loyalty, and overall brilliance of the toon army. The vast majority of the toon army is still the same but some of you negative bums need to read this and pull your heads outfall your arse and get behind our troops. I cannot listen to the utter garbage anymore that Alena pardew should be sacked, the man should get a raise and a statue. I will not listen to anymore bashing of our own players if they are playing theeir guts out for the strip. I will not listen to anymore Ashley bashing either and I have never like the man but through all his.mistakes he has learned and saved our club. I’m sure ill get blasted for this but I don’t care ive been on this Bligh for 6 years and have even had a story done on me for this blog and ill have my say. Some of you lads need to look in the mirror and fix this shite and help out for the push ti Europe. Newcastle United til death.

Sgt. Caleb heagerty us army infantry (medically retired due to wounds in Iraq)
    howay the lads!

• geoff777

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

—————Krul
    Perch – Willo – Collo – Santon
    BA – Cabaye Perch – Jonas
    ————Vuckic——Ba

Just a guess …

• geoff777

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

That should be HBA on the right 🙂

• Marty-Toon

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Sgt.hegarty
    Good for you to get that off yer mind
    There is indeed a lot of winging idiots on here in the last year or so.
    One thing u say though is that if they are playing their guts out for the strip.
    Well that might be the problem is that some of those that got slated on here didn’t look like they were playing their guts out,it was more like they thought they looked good in the club colours and spent more time grooming themselves than learning how to cross a ball etc

The other thing is that I don’t agree with tearing players apart on here but we have some that don’t look like they can play.

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I am with Dannyo – A 5 man midfield for me, just a different constellation.

If Tiote is out I think it would be great to see Abeid 🙂 But no Obertan for me after Monday’s display.

Is it at 4 pm?

• Crow59Cdo

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM

reading all these team predictions and everyone seems to be arguing over the midfield, i most of the teams if theres two up top everyones gone for the two dembas, but imo pardew with start shola up with ba as cisse is still adapting and norwich are a very phyical team, shola will over good hold up play and also an aerial threat both defensively and up top, not to mention pardew blows smoke up his arse every two mins, thoughts??

• Magpie_Man

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Krul
    Simmo-Willo-Colo-Santon
    Cabaye-Tiote
    Jonas-HBA-Cisse
    Ba

COME ON LADS!!!!!

• murvar

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Caleb – just in case you’re still checking – brilliant post! The kids on here have no perspective and can’t really be blamed for that. They probably also believe that sex began in 2011 when they discovered it. Whereas we all know that it began in 1966 when I discovered it…………

• Ollie666

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

why does everyone want Obertan to play
    HE’S AWFUL!!!