Another Player On The Mend For Newcastle’s Run-In

Newcastle fans had some good news this morning that both Leon Best and Sylvain  Marveaux could be back before the end of the season.

Sammy Ameobi – 19 year-old youngster coming back

And there’s more good news this morning that Sammy Ameobi will also be back soon.

Sammy Ameobi was  speaking at the launch of Sport Relief, and he had this to say when asked what his chances of coming back this season were:

“Yes, I should hope so.”  “Coming back in the last nine games would be a great way to round of my first full season, and I’d love to get back out there.”

“You just want to be back on the pitch and playing in front of these great fans.”  “Hopefully I’ll be able to do that this season.”

“Hopefully I can contribute to that when I’m fit.”  “It’s about the team and progressing.”  “If I can play my part great, but if the team can get to Europe that’s massive for the club.”

“It has been a bit of a blow because I was really enjoying my season.”  “It was just a 50-50 tackle – only I came out worse.”  “That’s football for you.”

“Sometimes it goes for you sometimes it doesn’t, unfortunately for me it didn’t.”  “I was getting games under my belt which is what I need as a young player to get more experience.”

“It was good to be in the squad but then came the injury.”  “Now I’m just working every day as hard as I can to get back to full fitness.”  “I’m trying to put myself up for selection again.”

“That’s the plan, so hopefully I’ll be back sooner rather than later.”

As we said earlier today, Newcastle need as many players back as possible before the end of the season, and certainly  before Sammy was injured, he was having a good first  season in the Newcastle first team squad.

It seems that Sammy has more potential than his older brother Shola, that’s the guy who always scores against Sunderland, and it would be good to have another local lad come through to be starter alongside center-back Steven Taylor.

Sammy has 13 appearances and one goal for Newcastle this season, and that’s in addition to his one appearance last season.

And there’s 9 games to go, and 27 points to play for, and with players like Sammy, Ryan Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Leon Best and Sylvain Marveaux all coming back, we could surprise ourselves on the up side by the end of the season.

Here’s hoping.

• cisse 9

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

dis lad could become a big player fo us next season along wit a few more young players

• cheick Norris

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM

eds on fire again. want to see sammy fit and loaned out don’t think he should be near the first team yet but got plenty of promise. even if he does look like he’s gonna trip over himself running

• Alan_Pard_Who

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Regarding Hoilett

Can’t see a reason why he wouldn’t want to come to Newcastle!

A lot of players move to the so called big clubs and waste away on the bench and thier talents go to waste week in and week out.

The lad has got talent but has hardly proven himself to be incredible yet, he is just a shining light at a poor club.

He would be great at nufc as it would allow him a step up but not a massive leap and with the hunger and ambition we are showing that has attracted other players, why would he not want to come here.

Guaranteed starter, chance to shine at a big club and propel us into top 4 contention, he can’t turn that down for warming the bench.?!

• Alan_Pard_Who

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Agree with cheek Norris

I think next year we need to add experienced depth and I would love to see Streete, Abied, Fergie, Ameobi, Vuckic, Tavernier etc… All loaned out for the season with options to bring them back at any point.

Preferably the loans would be to top championship or lower level premiership sides and let them flourish week in and week out.

• calvinzolamakongo

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Off subjEct I seem to remember someone saying young jj hooper is a lot like ameobi being slow a lazy but after watching the u18s highlights against stoke I saw him outpace to center halfs and they had a 2 yard head start :s (must be slow) and then his movement off the ball got him a goal which was a great finish with the outside Of his foot so I don’t know what this person was talking about because I was quite disheartened reading his comment as he seemed to be in the know but my analysis is jj is defo gonna step up when he is 19 / 20 gues he will fill ameobis boots eventually but he will do with a lot more promise

• Pardew's fist pump

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Perfect window for me (what I deem realistic values):

Out:
    Lovenkrands – release – 15k pw?
    Smith – release – 60 pw
    Forster – 3m – 10k pw?
    Simpson – 2m – 15k pw?
    Williamson – 2m – 15k pw?
    Best – 3m – 15k pw?
    Xisco – release (if we can) – 40k pw?
    Ranger – release – 15k pw?
    Gosling – a season on loan to a Prem club.

10m raised – 190k pw lighter

In

Douglas – free – 30k pw?
    Pieters – 5m – 30k pw?
    Corgnet – 5m – 30k pw?
    Hoilett – free – 40/50k pw?
    Rhodes – 3/4m – 20k pw?
    prospect keeper aged 20-21 – 1/2m – 10k pw

Spend 14-16m – wages shelled out – 170k pw-ish

GK – Krul, new prospect, Elliot
    RB – Santon, Raylor, Tavernier, Perch
    CB – Saylor, Colo, Douglas, Pieters, Perch
    LB – Pieters, Ferguson, Santon, Jonas, Raylor Perch
    CM – Tiote, Cabaye, Corgnet, Guthrie, Perch, Raylor, Abeid
    LW – Jonas, Marveaux, Hoilett, Ferguson, Sammy
    RW – HBA, Obertan, Raylor, Jonas, Sammy
    AMC – HBA, Hoilett, Vuckic
    ST – Ba, Cisse, Shola, Rhodes

Possibly loan a few of the young bucks out to Prem teams, with an option to recall.

28 different players there. A step up in depth of quality and plenty of versatility.

Off for a lie down now….

• Pardew's fist pump

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Who wouldn’t want that many Perch’s in their team!? 😆

• Kris

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I dont see people wanting Best and Simmo out. I think they are really good for us! Also: Simmo has most saves on the line than any outfield-players in the whole league. And if Best is going we just have the Demba’s cause, Shola is shite. We like to see him going out, but its not gonna happend.

• Jan Stavik

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Best offers something different to our other attackers, he’s a fine player.

Shola is a strange player. He pops up with the odd goal now and then, but in general he’s the most annoying player in EPL. Or, the funniest if you are supporting another team, some games he’s playing so badly that Sunday League strikers would be embarrassed by the performance.

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Alan_Pard_Who- 4- Again I agree with you. It would only improve their game further and quicker. Although I might be tempted to try Tavernier in the first 11 and put him ahead of Simpson and see how he does. I do rate him higher than Simmo and besides Simmo still hasn’t signed contract offered and we need determined lads with clear minds playing for our team.

• Shearer.Milburn

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Why do people keep putting santon at RB??? Has he ever played there?

• LEROI

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

in the summer we need to sign some CB cover(vertongen or douglas) & to be honest it wouldn’t harm us to use Tavernier more as RB cover instead of shipping the poor kid out to anybody in League 1 willy nilly. We need HBA consistantly on the RW (thats his best chance of a nailed on permenant start) Marvaeux is good LW cover/Starter & i think Sammy has been at his best when deployed on the LW(no cover needed but would take Jarvis for cheap & loan Marv &or Sam out). Ober is ok (sometimes!) but we could do with a more consistant RW’er brought in for cover (Hoillet or Moses perhaps) thought we could do with some DCM cover(mikel) but until recently but Perch will surfice. We do need 2 new strikers to cover Cisse & Ba because apologies to Shola but he’s just not good enough even as cover & Best needs a kick up the old erse Rhodes & Hooper(celtic) would make exciting competition for the striker role!

• Visten

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM

With the exception of Tiote and Raylor these players are more or less right offs this season after long term injuries. It would take them at least 6 games to get back up to match fitness alone.