Newcastle Striker Back In A Few Weeks

We’ve been reporting that it looks like Leon Best could be back before the end of the season,  and Leon himself has validated that this morning.

Leon Best congratulated after scoring winner against QPR

Best suffered a knee ligament injury and had been almost written off for the season, but his recovery is now ahead of schedule and it looks like he will start some light running next week in training.

Newcastle need as many players back as possible to assist in the push for a Europa League position, and Cheick Tiote is back on Sunday and Ryan Taylor hopefully will be fit enough for the home game against Liverpool on April 1st.

Wins are what Newcastle need, and a win on Sunday at West Brom would be great,  and could even see Newcastle in 5th place.

That depends on how Chelsea fare in their next two league games, starting at Manchester City tonight and then at home to Tottenham on Saturday – two tough games.

With  Peter Lovenkrands ruled out for the rest of the season,  it will be good to get Leon Best back, because this lad can score some goals for Newcastle.

Leon was with fellow striker Demba Ba yesterday, to promote Newcastle’s full participation in the Show Racism the Red Card initiative, and this is what the Nottingham-born 25 year-old striker had to say:

“I’m going to be back running hopefully in the next week, ten days,”  “I’m doing leg-strengthening exercises now and it feels good so I’ve got confidence I’ll be back before the end of the season to play games.”

“I want to be part of what we’re doing here.”  “I’ve been going to every game and kicking the chair in front of me, but I’m only really happy when I’m on the pitch.”

“To get fit with the possibility of being in the Euros, that’s in the back of my mind, now I need to get fit and play a couple of Newcastle games to show that I’m fit enough to go.”

“I’m confident I can get some games under my belt before the summer.”  “I feel like when I’ve played this season I’ve showed what I’m capable of and that I can do just as well as everyone else.”

“Before I moved to this club I did have opportunities to go to other places, but I thought if I came here and did well I’d get the respect I want. It’s a massive club and I have done well when I’ve come in.”

“I’ve enjoyed playing with Demba and look forward to playing with him even more as well as Papiss and Hatem Ben Arfa. But again, it’s good options for the manager.”

“He’s got players on the bench that have proved they can do it as well as players on the pitch who are doing it.”  “The original target was to give ourselves a chance to be in the position and now we’re in that position we’ll fight for our lives to get it.”

“I think we’ve done very well to be able to put ourselves in this position and personally I think we’ll do it.”

Best seems fully committed to Newcastle, and there has been talk of Newcastle possibly selling him in the summer, but we doubt that will happen, although Peter Lovenkrands will be allowed to leave when his contract runs out in June.

Leon has four goals in 21 appearances for Newcastle this season and in 46 total appearances for Newcastle he has notched 10 goals.

There’s a good chance Newcastle will bring in a young striker in the summer, and we think Jordan Rhodes is a possibility, as the 22 year-old Huddersfield striker and Scottish International has smashed in 33 goals for the Yorkshire side this season in 32 appearances.

Then we would have five strikers – a younger striker like Jordan as one possibility – and Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse, Shola Ameobi and Leon Best.

That’s a powerful strike force.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Having his affair with Sonia from eastenders exposed is too good for Ashley.

• Alan_Pard_Who

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Our first season back in the top flight was as we all know a missed opportunity thanks to injuries, players being sold and lack of squad depth. (Enrique being injured, Carroll being sold)!

I think we couldve finished top 8 last year and it’s said to say that once again this year is much the same.

Injuries, the afcon and lack of depth have all contributed into making the season tremendous yes, but a missed opportunity. I think if we had the depth to cover the injuries instead of taking risks we could be in 4th.

I just hope the past 2 seasons haven’t gone unnoticed and we have the depth to cover injuries.

Ashley has done amazing redoing the wage bill but how much is too much when it comes to guaranteeing European football?

• Pardew's fist pump

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

On day of the The Budget, how about this one:

Mike Ashley – Chancellor of the Exchequer? 😉

• cheick Norris

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

@jfa lol
    @apw. next season is our big one. make or break time. improve the team or drop to lower mid league

• Alan_Pard_Who

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

For me leon has a lot to prove from now until the end of the season.

Needless to day with the 2 dembas he won’t have many starts and in all honesty I’d prefer amoebi as an impact sub than best.

If we could get a few quid in the summer from the likes of Wigan and then use those finds to attract a top youngster then I font think too many would complain.

Thoughts?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Pfp
    Cant see him starting at all if the two Dembas stay fit,not saying he’s sh*te but he’s done a job for us and its time for progression and to move him on its not as though he’s a “prospect”,he’ll go somewhere else and do a job for them until they achieve their ambitions then he’ll be shipped off somewhere else again after that,cant ever seeing him making it at a top half club.

• Indian Magpie

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Apologies,

I was not going to paste but this is quality, a video of all of Messi’s goals. Enjoy!!!!

• Colo-Sus

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Alright Lads,

Hows everyone doing? Just read an interesting article on Corgnet, the CM we are linked with.

He sounds like a real talent, a late developer but highly rated in France it seems. Scores a few goals by the sounds of it, could be a quality signing, especially if we make Europe.

• geoff777

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Best has some qualities but lacks that killer instinct you need in a striker.

Agree with Alan_Pard_Who if we can get 2-3M for him in the summer …whoever we buy will get game time during the ACN.

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Alan_Pard_Who – Very well put. I agree with you 100%. Last year I felt we would nick top 10 – 8th. Hence the reason I put a cheeky bet of us finishing in the top 6 THIS season. SO fa so good. I was being ambitious but deep down I know we are capable of achieving 8th this season. With just a bit more investment we could finish 6th or even higher. I was over the moon when we siged Cisse as he was the one striker I would have loved to see in the black and white and Bang we got him! Well done to Ashley and co on that one. Now we have a proper Strike force something we’ve been missing since Shearer retired.
    I believe we were trying our hardest to get a quality defender over the line too but the standard available dropped in quality and we dropped interest as a result. I am certain that this summer will determine if we clinch Champions League next year or not. We need CBs, FBs, Wingers and a young and quick Striker. IF we sign what we need and don’t lose any of our core players we will make it I think. Especially now that the quality in Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverfool and ManUre have dropped significantly.

THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO MAKE IT BACK IN THE BIG TIME.

If we sign well in the simmer I have no doubt we’ll be there challenging the top 4 all the way.

Onwards and Upwards! 😀