Can This Classy Magpie Youngster Make First Team Next Season?

20 year-old James Henry Tavernier has so so far played 51 games in his fledgling football career.

Charlton’s Johnnie Jackson and MK Dons’ James Tavernier fight for the ball

But only two of them are with Newcastle, and he has racked up the rest on loan at Gateshead (18), Carlisle United (17), Sheffield Wednesday (8)and MK Dons (6), where he is currently out on loan with Alan Smith.

James has given a long interview to the local press today,  and we get some idea of the ambitions of the 20 year-old Bradford-born youngster.

This is  some of what James had to say today:

“My main aim is still to play in the first team and that is what I want to be doing as soon as possible.” “The more I impress the manager the more chance I have of getting into that team.”

Fabricio Coloccini, Tim Krul and Ryan Taylor have all signed long term deals to stay on Tyneside.

When he came back from his loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday he really impressed manager Alan Pardew who said he looked the same as Danny Simpson, Newcastle’s  current right back.

The mature young Yorkshireman was asked if he’s like to sign a new deal to stay on Tyneside:

“Definitely, that is where I see myself.” “When I was younger that is why I came to the club.”   “Hopefully, I can fulfil that soon.”

“That is the aim – I want to be here in the long-term.”  “I want to play in the first team at Newcastle.”

“It would great to see the lads get in Europe and be involved in that.”  “I would love to think I could be involved in that next season.”

“Playing every week is what I have always wanted to do.”  “Going out on loan has given me the chance to do that.”  “It is the key for me to get more games and more experience.”

“This is my fourth time on loan and they have all been different experiences.”  “Hopefully all of those experiences come together and it comes out in my game.”

“Then the manager can see it comes out, the performances get better and I become a better player.”  “The loans have been great for me.”  “Everything is going great for me at the moment and hopefully I can push on.”

James is currently at the MK Dons with Alan Smith, and he has so far appeared 6 times at the club,  who are the old Wimbledon side that former Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear used to manage.

They moved the old Wimbledon club from Croydon, and then  renamed the club to MK Dons, which upset a number of fans, which is hardly surprising.

That’s all in the past now of course, and MK Dons are currently 5th top of League One with 68 points, and in a promotion play-off position, but still 7 points off an automatic promotion place.

James talked about being at the Dons:

“I settled in really well and straight away.”  “I got a place down there so I am settled which is good.”

“MK Dons have made me feel really welcome and with Alan Smith being there too is great because it is a person I already knew.”

“Smudger has bags of experience.”  “You could not get a better person to look up to.”  “He gives you great advice and I can talk to him anytime I want.”

“It is really good to have him down there with me.”

James is good enough to even win the right back spot from Danny Simpson in August, if Simpson is still a Newcastle player by then, because the word is the former Manchester United defender will be sold if he still refuses to pen his new Newcastle deal in the summer.

Don’t be surprised if James Tavernier comes through big time for Newcastle next season, and remember,  he was impressive in Newcastle’s American tour last summer.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM

First?

• Shearer.Milburn

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Really impressed by this guys attitude and ability! If only Nile ranger had the same attitude!!!

• Shearer.Milburn

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM

What is the point of posting ‘first’ ???

• LGFUAD21

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Shearer.Milburn

There is none. It just seems to be what people do on here. So I thought I’d have a stab

• martoon

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Lets hope the advice from Smudger is not how to earn £60k per week while sitting on your backside 🙂

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

5th

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM

you can really blame smith for being handed a rediculous contracr

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

(spelling)

• LooneyToon41

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Can’t blame Smudger. He always gives 100%. Blame is purely on the shoulders of giving him a longterm lucrative contract, when he’s passed his best. Fortunately, we seem to have learned our lessons there… Nolan,Barton etc

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:53 AM

yea defo not making that mistake a third time (xisco)
    was smith a sheppard buy?

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:55 AM

im sure we paid klivert a hell of alot aswell

• Rotonda heights

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM

A far better footballer and option than Simpson.

overlaps very well creating several assists and can also play centre half.

• martoon

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM

LGFUAD21 from the previous blog. There will always be fans who are not happy and grumble no matter how well we are doing. I can remember in the days of SBR some of the MBs were full of fans saying “he was too old” and “the players laughed behind his back” and “his tactics were from the 70s” etc. I’ve always felt this contrbuted to his sacking. So I’m afraid fans will always grumble – I would imagine even some Manure fans will not be happy at the moment.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Smith really was a dumb signing on our behalf.

I’m actually quite positive about the summer though.

We knew we would lose players last summer we had many stalling on contracts etc, I believe we woudve kept Joey if he didnt shoot himself in the foot.

What ive pieced together form various sources sounds positive:
    MA apparently didnt want to sell AC
    MA quoted by Pardew asking where his new CB was (ok we didnt get it)

But I think its good that MA and PArdew seem to have an understanding. MA appears to trust Pards more tha Chris Hutton.

Just hope we can get this academy sorted.If we can build on this squad over the next 3 years and then have a productive academy we really will be in a good position.

If you look at Arsenal’s it really is incredible. My friends little brother got scouted by a feeder academy to the Arsenal one and hes only 12 atm. Talking to the guy who runs it and the sheer reach that the Arsenal academy has and strength of the network is ridiculous.

They basically have an eye on every notable youth player from London to the midlands, right out into east anglia

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM

team for baggies
    ———–krul————-
    santon–coll–willo–jonas
    ——tiote–cabaye——
    obertan—ba——-HBA
    ——-cisse————–
    ober and hba as our standard defencive wingers

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM

s*

• LGFUAD21

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM

martoon

Manure fans dont complain. They jsut stop watching until they pick up again.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM

jakesome

are you like me re Obertan and want to see him play out of sheer curiosity

I wouldnt do that against WBA but someone like Bolton or Wigan i’d definitely like to see what a formation that offensive would be capable of

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM

i think it is curiosity with ober because we havnt actually seen him use all that pace enough. i think with him and cisse on the counter it could be deadly especially saying olsson is slow as sh*te. with that formation hba and ober would drop back a bit
    what would you go for??

• LGFUAD21

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Probably the one i posted on last blog

Simmo-Willo-Colo-Jonas
    ——–Tiote—Perch—–
    ———–Cabaye———
    HBA——-Cisse——Ba

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

tiote and perch would have dm locked down but u rekon ba will have much of an impact out there
    although it would be good to see cabaye have a bit more freedom to go forward (havnt seen this enough)

• LGFUAD21

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

jakesome

Perhaps not (Ba)

But I think he was placed there against norwich and dropped into the hole a lot.

Put him out there to keep an even shape because HBA has to play wing.

Suppose I’d actually make the front 3 tighter

Simmo-Willo-Colo-Jonas
    ——Tiote——-Perch—
    ————Cabaye——–
    ——–HBA——Ba——
    ————–Cisse———

Perhaps even place Cabaye out on the left akin to HBA on the right in a 4-2-2-1-1 (4-2-3-1 but with ba as a withdrawn striker)

We need to bring Cabaye’s attacking prowess into the game more. He is supposed to be a playmaker and a proper box-to-box mid but we only see him near one box really.

Really would ultimately like to see HBA trained for the hole. Out wide he has been limited to one piece of trickery (Arsenal style). Benny made a few clever passes against Norwich. Had he been able to make those types of passes in the hole to Cisse or Ba to put them through on goal wouldve been nice.

Cant help but feel with the way we have been playing recently we miss Joey on the right just getting those crosses in.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

thats it its like were scared of the early ball. but when we do it e.g jonas early ball for cisses goal. we have the quality now to convert half chance early balls into goals. and other than ba against wolves can you think of an occasion weve converted a corner??

• LGFUAD21

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Jakesome,

Probably the most memorable and closest chance i can think of from a corner was when cabaye made that cheeky short corner to Guthrie.

I’d like to see HBA on left on the pitch on Sunday. When games become stale mates liek that, he is always going to be the one that unlocks play.

He may have been silent most of the second half but he also could have been the one to provide that important second goal

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM

agreed benny in the hole slotting the balls through to cisse who ive been watching( whilst hes off the ball) and makes some awesome runs could put us that extra step ahead

• blissna

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I’ve watched Obertan many times and still never seen him play….

• Jamiemac

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM

we’ve only scored the one corner this season and that was vs wolves. only one team has fewer goals from corners

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

@27
    its shocking isnt it, weve got a bit of height in our team aswell (willo ba ) but when perch is on the pitch he always seems to go up for corners….logic?

• Owldman

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM

As i recall Alan Smith was originaly a striker at Leeds,it was Sir Alex Ferguson who converted him to midfield & surprise suprise Toon bought him as a striker & i believe he scored a massive amount of 2 goals.Dont blame the lad Blame Freddie the scrap man

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM

We need wingers desperately. I think we can all agree on that. Imagine a RW that can play on the left and has good pace, can beat a man or two and can play in a fantastic cross for Cisse and Ba to get at the end of. THAT is what we’re crying out for. Once we have that, not only will it be a kick up our current wingers arse ie Gutierrez but it will also allow us to play around a bit and deploy HBA in the hole (his favoured position). Once Marveaux is back we will be much stronger but we still need at least one more winger in case of injuries and competition for places.

Once we have Saylor back our defense will be much stronger but then again we need one more defender for extra cover.

This summer is going to be interesting and will make us the complete team we all crave. We’re just a few players short of becoming constant top 6 contenders. I’ve said many times and can’t shut up about it as I am really excited and positive about our prospects for next season.

HWTL

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Wingers we could sign:

Roy Berens: AZ Alkmaar!

Eljero Elia: Juventus!

Oussama Aissaidi: S.C.Heerenveen!

All three of these can get past their man and cross the ball for Cisse or BA!

As for loanee at MK Dons! Get him back in close season! Then they will see if he,s ready or not!
    And yes we need at least one winger in the squad ! Maybe even two!