This Lad Has To Shape Up – And Quickly Too

It gets a bit tiresome having to report on Nile Ranger’s altercations with the police.

Nile Ranger – has to shape up – and quickly too

Yesterday in the Newcastle magistrates courts, the 20 year-old Newcastle striker Nile Ranger finally  admitting a charge of being drunk and disorderly, after previously saying he was not guilty of the charge.

And it’s the second time this week the lad has been in court,  as he was charged with not keeping conditions of his bail, when he was found in the Newcastle City Center after 11:00 pm on Monday night.

On the charge yesterday,  Ranger was handed a six-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £135 costs,  after being questioned by police for four hours after his arrest at Newcastle’s  Cathedral Square in the early hours of October 30th last year.

And he also admitted to failing to keep his bail conditions yesterday, which were imposed as he waits for his trial  on four assault charges, which will to take place at Newcastle Crown Court this June.

The London-born footballer has been warned by Newcastle United that his career could be over if he does not clean up his act, but he may have already gone past the point of no return.

With over 2,000 votes in our poll asking our readers if Newcastle should unload Ranger this summer – over 78% have voted yes.

Ranger has recently told the local  press that he wanted to return to playing for the first team:

“It would be some story if I did come back and get in the team, because I’ve been getting into a bit of bother now and again.”

“People think ‘This guy just gets in trouble week in, week out’, but it would be good to get goals and show people a different side.”

“The key for me is to make the headlines for the right reasons – people know me for the wrong thing. I just want to play football and keep my nose clean.”

Seems like Nile should go and have a good talk to himself, but it’s already some story, and we’d be surprised if he plays for the Newcastle first team in the last nine games of the season.

It’s time for him to shape up – but time is running out – it’s quickly running out.

Comments welcome.

• Colo-Sus

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Sack him

Is he really good enough to warrant all of this?? No

• MacToon

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

“I just want to play football and keep my nose clean.”
    You gonna do this or just say you’re going to do this?!!!!

• cheick Norris

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Colo i can see him being like chopra in the championship but no better. his attitude is crap and he’s getting no better

• Dannyo

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Can we not just lock him up at Benton and let him out during matches?

• Colo-Sus

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Is ”keeping his nose clean” a metaphor for something?

@Chieck

I cant even see him being that good to be honest, League 1 standard for me or average Championship side. To be honest I am sick of the sight of him. He is a disgrace. Im loosing my job to cuts soon and it sickens me that idiots like this steal a living, and then act like total fools.
    At least some players act like true pros, despite the stupid wages they get.

• geoff777

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Nile got two assists the other night against a classy Chelsea reserves.

As he is on our books I hope he gets it together and turns into a top class striker. The potential is there.

He’s strong, pacey and creative.

Each incident generates five or six separate news stories over a few months, he now has the main assault case coming up in the summer.
    Hopefully he’ll be able to learn from his mistakes and put all of this trouble behind him.

I hope he gets on the bench and on the pitch before the end of the season.

HWTL

• sirtoongospel

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

It’s a waste of an article to be honest, to even consider discussing this lad. He has ability, no doubts about that. But until he has completely changed his lifestyle and proved it to the manager (who misses nothing) then we are stuck with him. No one will take him as they couldn’t match his wages, so we need to keep our fingers crossed.

On another note, I hope Pards shows Cisse some confidence when he makes his change next time, as Demba looks tired, and to be brutally honest, Papiss was far better on Sunday. When Shola comes on for the last 15 he wins everything in the air, and I would love to see Cisse link with him, as his movement is sensational. He made runs on Sunday time after time that the team didn’t spot, othert than when Gutierrez found him. But for me, he already looks like a lethal striker and a guaranteed 20 goal a season man.

• sirtoongospel

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM

geoff, totally agree, potential is undeniable, but how many times can he shoot himself in the foot?

• baty1963

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Hopefully he’ll shoot himself in the foot just once that might be enough to get shot of him saying that he use his plastic gangsta gun

• BeeGuy

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Hey, the club put up with Carroll.