The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Are Vibrant – Check Tiote Fit For West Brom

9:26 am, Friday, March 23rd, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

Newcastle will head to West Brom on Sunday hoping to notch up another 3 points after their hard-fought win against Norwich last Sunday.

Cheick Tiote – Mr T. – back on Sunday

Alan Pardew has said that last weekend’s clean sheet, which was Newcastle’s first in six games, and the win, which was the first in five games, has really boosted the morale in the squad.

And it was boosted even more when the Gods seemed to be with Newcastle on Wednesday night, when both Chelsea and Liverpool went down to defeats at Manchester City and QPR respectively,  through poor late goals conceded to the opposition.

Those losses leave Newcastle a full 5 points above Liverpool in the league, and only two points behind Chelsea, so a win on Sunday would certainly help Newcastle push for a place in the Europa League.

And it’s likely that Cheick Tiote will start on Sunday, probably in place of Danny Guthrie, as it seems he’s recovered from the thigh injury he picked up at The Emirates in our last away game.

This is what Alan Pardew had to say:

“Tiote ran again in training,” “He has a good chance for Sunday for what will be a tough game.”

“The win was important for us, but the clean sheet was perhaps more important,”  “We’re in a good state and we got a lift from it. We’re vibrant going into the game and that bodes very well for Sunday.”

“It’s a tough game, but everybody was in a good frame of mind for it in training yesterday. We’ll be out there to stump West Brom’s growth on Sunday.”

A win is what we really need,  but it’s important to pick up anything we can at West Brom, who seem to be a better away team than at The Hawthorns this season.

Another win for Newcastle on Sunday would be simply terrific, and put the side on 50 points, and we still have 8 games to play,  with the next game being on the following Sunday at home to ….. Liverpool.

Howay The Lads.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · Danny Guthrie · Injuries · Newcastle News

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 sammydolan // Mar 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Whos going to this game? I am utter billy no mates, just the single ticket for me please.

• 2 Colo-Sus // Mar 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

This is pretty much the same article as yesterday lol!

• 3 Alan_Pard_Who // Mar 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM

If Ed lives in the USA does that mean he writes these articles at like 3 in the morning?

• 4 Pardew's fist pump // Mar 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Win this and the rotten bunch match and we’ll have all but sealed 6th.

I allowed myself to look ahead last night, with a pinch of luck we could be right on 4th place tails, by the time our final few games come around.

5th is certainly on, although much hinges on our tussle with Chelsea. They still have to play:

Spurs H
    Villa A
    Arsenal A
    Liverpool A

We need overdrive to kick in now, start up the juggernaut! *chug-chug-chug-chug*

• 5 Alan_Pard_Who // Mar 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Team for WBA

——————Krul——————-
    Santon——-Willo-Colo———–Guti

Benny——-Cabs–Tiote———–Ober

—————–Ba-Cisse—————–

• 6 martoon // Mar 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Alan_Pard_Who @3 Ed lives in North Carolina which is normally 5 hours behind us (4 at the moment until we put clocks forward) so I guess he does. I’ve noticed he hardly ever posts a blog late afternoon / early evening so I guess he catches up on his sleep then!

• 7 martoon // Mar 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM

To football matters – As I said yesterday I’ve got this sneaking feeling Pardew might reward Perch and play 2 holding midfield players and only one of the Dembas.

• 8 Pardew's fist pump // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I think Guthrie could be dropped again, with Perch scrrening the defence alongside Tiote, allowing Guti, who I expect to see at LB again, join in the attacks from deep, with Cabaye playing his tucked LM position with more freedom to support the STs:

__________Krul__________
    Simpson__Will-Colo__Jonas
    _______Tiote_Perch
    ___HBA_________Cabaye__
    __________Ba
    __________Cisse

That’s how I think AP will set-up, I’d be happy to see that, apart from I’d prefer Santon over Simpson.

• 9 Pardew's fist pump // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM

*screening :P

• 10 Pardew's fist pump // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:08 AM

It’s a ghost toon right now, I’ll be back later.

• 11 martoon // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Pardew’s fist pump @8 – I like your team but I don’t think Pardew is brave enough to play Jonas at LB in an away match. I think he’ll play Santon at LB and a 5 man midfield including Jonas and one of the Dembas up front (not sure which one).

• 12 markmac // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Martoon, yeh i can see that happening myself, can AP really drop our MOM from norwich? would like to see that actually, and i was impressed with jonas at LB so maybe that mite happen again too….

• 13 markmac // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

slow reply by me was regards post 7

• 14 martoon // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM

markmac @13 Yeah I realised that – I think there is only us two here at the moment ;)

• 15 Alan_Pard_Who // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM

We are away from home, 9 games left, we need to cement 6th so now is the time to attack. I’d prefer Guthrie over Perch. We need goal threats and setting up too defensively could be disastourus.

• 16 ady // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM

we need to win cant afford any other result reason for that is livepool home next week very very tough game they play good against top teams so we need big boost before we play livepool also then againt liverpool we can afford to lose few points but lost or drew against wb they we gota win againt livepool

• 17 liamgowland // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Pardew’s fist pump- that formation is a bit too attcking for Pardew to play away against a West Brom Side who pack the midfield with five. I like it, but I think he will play 5 in midfield, and probably just play the one up top. God knows who he’ll drop mind!

As for ‘Alan_Pard_Who’ suggesting playing Obertan on the left, what has he done to warrant a place in the team? I would never start him in a million years, especailly not against a team like West Brom that pack the midfield and don’t give you much time on the ball.

• 18 Ibizatoon // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Martoon…I’m going to go all out here and say that you think Pardew will only play one of either Cisse or Ba

• 19 markmac // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM

@14 ha ha,yeh. what dya reckon then, dya think he’ll go

krul
    simmo willo collo santon
    tiote perch
    cabaye HBA Jonas
    Ba

santon has the pace to keep up with them and thats in his favour i guess but i think jonas is still a good option what dya reckon?

• 20 martoon // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Ibiza @18 – What gave you that impression? :)

• 21 ady // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM

first half
    Krul__________
    Simpson__Will-Colo__Jonas
    _______guth_____toi____cab_________HBH__
    __________Ba________Cisse____

second half
    Krul__________
    Simpson__Will-Colo__sant _______HBH_____toi____cab_________jon__
    __________Ba________Cisse____

what do u guys think do u agree

• 22 Ibizatoon // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Martoon….I just get a feeling mate. Sometimes you just know something ;)

• 23 martoon // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM

markmac @19 Yeah I’d go with that team. I’m not saying that would be be my choice – but what I think Pardew will select. Personally I agree with others I don’t think Cisse deserves to be dropped but Ba & Jonas are automatic first choices.

• 24 markmac // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM

martoon @23 i agree i probaly wouldnt select perch normally but lets be honest nobody would until a couple of games ago but you get a feeling AP will keep the faith with him but hey he might surprise us all and play 2 up front! i dont think i would dare myself, not if they play both of there pace men up front anyway

• 25 liamgowland // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I think Perch could play a big part on Sunday. He’s been excellent of late, and he’s the prefect candidate to break up play against a West Berom team that like to keep the ball and boss the midfield.

Markmac- I would definitely start that team and bring on Cisse to make an impact the last 30 if we can smell blood and try and take the three points. It would be a fantastic three points if we could get them.

• 26 jakesome // Mar 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM

ive got a feeling obertan is going to start

previous post: School Children Learn Some Good Stuff At St. James’ Park