Newcastle Striker Thinks The Best Is Still To Come

26-year-old Papiss Cisse has given a long interview in the Sunday Mirror today, and Newcastle new number 9 thinks he has made a good start to his Newcastle career.

Papiss Cisse – after scoring great goal, the match-winner, against Norwich

That number 9 seems special because it turns out that Papiss is just 9 days  younger than Demba Ba, having been born on June 3rd, 1985 with Demba being born on 25th May in the same year.

And of course Demba Ba has made a very good start to his career on Tyneside with 16 goals in the Premier League so far this season.

Newcastle showed in January they are still willing to shell out some big money for the right player, and they paid SC Freiburg aorund £9M for Cisse,  after almost signing him last June.

Terms had been agreed with Freiburg last summer, but the German club pulled out,  otherwise he would have joined Newcastle last June, as Demba Ba did.

This is what Cisse had to say to the Mirror today:

“I’ve made a good start to my career at Newcastle on the pitch, scoring in three of my first four home games.” “But it has been difficult off the field as I don’t speak English yet.”

“It is hard for me to understand sometimes what people are saying but, thankfully, the manager has been patient.” “I speak four languages and, with people at the club helping me all the time, I feel I will soon be able to ­converse in English.”

“Demba Ba, who speaks good ­English, has been ­helping me with the language and there are also a lot of French-­speaking players at the club who have been assisting me.”

“Demba and I know each other from the Senegal national team, but we are still getting used to each other in the Newcastle side. We know we have got to do a bit more to find the right blend.”

“But the partnership will improve and I think the best is still to come.” “It is a dream of mine to play in Europe. I came to England to play at the highest level and to test myself in European ­competition.”

“Hopefully, next season we will have that European spot. It is ­important that the club gets back into Europe as soon as possible.” “Myself, Demba Ba and all the ­players will be doing our best to ­ensure that we achieve that target.

“We know what is required.”

When Cisse was signed,  some thought  he had already played a number of times with Demba Ba in the Senegal side, but Alan Pardew explained that was not the case.

In the Senegal side it was either Cisse or Demba Ba up front – or Moussa Sow, who was at Lille and joined Turkish club Fenerbahce last summer.

Cisse has appeared just five times for Newcatsle, but he already has three goals under his belt, and certainly has an eye for goal, and is always looking to score from unlikely positions, and could become another great number 9 for Newcastle.

Cisse thought  the Bundesliga was a good standard of football, but admits that the English Premier League is probably better, as he continued:

“The Premier League is regarded as one of the best in the world and I have found it to be a very high standard.”  “But I have to give respect to the Bundesliga as that is where I got my big break in English football and I enjoyed my time there.”

“But maybe the Premier League just edges it.”  “I have heard all about Alan Shearer from everyone in ­Newcastle.”  “I haven’t met Alan S­hearer yet, but I know he’s a big man!”

A Demba Ba – Papiss Cisse partnership up front looks to be something that Newcastle fans can look forward, as the two Senegal lads play more often together.

We don’t know if Alan Pardew will play in a 4-4-2 formation today at West Brom, because he may want to only use one striker up front, at least at the start of the game in a 4-5-1 formation.

But we’ll see both strikers in action at some stage this afternoon, and it would be good if both can get a goal today,  as they did in their first game together against Aston Villa on 5th February,  after they had returned from the African Cup of Nations.

A win today and Newcastle will have gained points on most of the teams above them and Liverpool too, who lost to a bottom three side for the second game running yesterday.

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM

You must not answer billbobtederic. They’re taking the dog out for a walk now but they will probably turn up for some pre-match negging. This was a public service announcement from Optimism Valley.

• pbNcl

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Must admit I’m a little nervous about Ba moving elsewhere, have been for a little while. It makes logical sense for him to stay after all his international strike mate is here and we’ve got his syrup stuff sorted : D

Don’t go elsewhere for the money or glory big lad and you can really set yourself in stone here

• wingspan

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I think he will play 4-4-2 today, because west brom usually do. And i think if both teams are playing the same system theres a good chance wecan win because player to player i think were better.
    Willos lack of pace is my ony worry but i hope we get behind him, no point in booing the guy because we have no replacement, he needs confidence now.

This is the team i think he will play:

=========Krul
    Danny ==Willo===Colo==Santon
    Ben Arfa=Perch==Cabaye=Jonas
    =======Ba=====Cisse

I think thats harsh on guthrie by the way. But perchy did well last wk and i think Pards will keep him in.

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Well I’m counting on these two to click and when they do we will have a dvd out for their goal tally next season you just watch. What do you think the title will be? They will probably share about 50 goals ha ha I wish.

I just hope they are not going to want to be in the same spaces cos that will mean they might have to timeshare the strikers and that would be crap cos one of them would go sooner rather than later. that was my negative thought of the day. Anyways, I feel that Cisse would have had about 10 himself by now if his touch was up to speed, he should really have had three against Norwich. When that comes in, Demba and him will be competing for goal tally.

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I’m sure AP will play 4-4-2 but I prefer the thought of 4-5-1 and with Tiote not being risked Perch really needs to be in there. I don’t want to see Dreamboat pegged back because we will spend most of the game in our half with Guthrie & him wearing out the stripe on the halfway line. I second the thing about Willo – we really don’t have anyone else and if he plays a blinder (as opposed to er… never mind) it will be down to the fans getting behind him. Maybe he has dithered his last, and has just taken a while to get back into the groove?

Howay the Lads – 3-0 tonight. Cisse / Ba /HBA. Don’t put your last fiver on that though 🙂

• davybtoon

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM

to b honest its all on ba if he stays or goes no doubt that we are offering him the improved deal he deserves, but its basically down to him n ive said it b4 n ill say it again i dont care how good player is if they dont wanna b here then we have to sell n get someone who does wanna be here n is commited

• davybtoon

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM

also european summer targets need to tied up early the euro will triple there price

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Anyway gotta go I’m sorting out my aqua gear for my new job in Optimism Valley Naval Services, going to S*nderland to O’Neill’s surf shop for the best in General Immersion Marine Protection gear, which will be issued to the mackem triplet so he can go away and bother his siblings and leave us in peace. Have a happy blogging day everyone, keep it positive and DON’T respond to the plonker(s) and all will be well.

I will try to get back on but matchdays tend to make my hands go all twitchy and sweaty and I usually can’t bring myself to comment live (especially in anger!) 🙂

COME ONNNNNNN!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM

A hatrick from either one this afternoon will do us nicely!!!

HWTL!!

• Sav

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Sheep’s Blood: Strawberry syrup, Vodka and Grenadine with a twist….Baaaaa!

• chuck

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I dont know if Pardew will play a 4-4-2……….. ?
    Does he actually know how to play anything but ?
    Look for the same boring style, if we get an early lead, then it will be a repeat of the last two games, with ten men defending.
    Apparently being a defensive player during his unremarkable career, he still admires the Italian style of the nineties, where whichever side gets the first goal, defends it untill the game is over
    The recipe for boring and nail biting football.
    But hey! as long as we are in the top six and sez tes boss to Ashley, expect more of the same.