Newcastle United Go After Top Dutch Midfielder

The Daily Star today are linking Newcastle with PSV’s Georginio Wijnaldum.

Georginio Wijnaldum – 21 year-old PSV central midfielder

The 21 year-old has already played twice for the full Holland side,  and he is currently one of the outstanding young talents in Holland, but we have no idea if there’s any truth in this story – but we hope it’s true. 😀

The Rotterdam-born  player started his football career back in 2006 with Feyenoord,  but he joined PSV last July, for an undisclosed fee, and he played for all of the Holland Youth sides.

Newcastle seem to be after a number of attacking central midfielders right now, which is why we think Danny Guthrie could be leaving the club in the summer, when his four year contract runs out, and he becomes a free agent in June.

The 21 year-old, who was an outstanding youngster,  stands 5’10” tall, and has played 25 times for PSV this season with 11 goals.

While he was at  Feyenoord, he made his debut in April of 2007 when only 16 years old,  and he eventually played 131 times with 25 goals for the top Dutch side.

He made his full Holland debut last year,  in the match against San Marino on September 2nd, when he was a 86th minute substitute, and would you believe it, he scored his first international goal in the 90th minute.

This lads seems to be  a very a good attacking midfielder who can score goals and maybe Newcastle will bring in two PSV players this summer – Pieters and Wijnaldum.

But he is rated at around £8M, and it could be even more, so we don’t know if that would be too much for Newcastle, but perhaps not,  with the improved financial status at Newcastle these days.

Wijnaldum would be a great buy for Newcastle, and he appears to be a top quality player at just 21, but Arsenal and some other top clubs are also said to be interested in him.

What do you think?

• ilovetoon8788

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

westbrom 2 -0 newcastle.

• jayphoto

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM

No chance of signing him, he’s off to Madrid or barca!

• jayphoto

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

in toon this weekend, never been up on an away game weekend, where’s best to watch the match?

• Alan_Pard_Who

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

If we sign him it is because we have qualified for Europe.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I love toon,
    As head of HICUP in optimism vallley I hearby sentence you to attend three games at the stadium of sh*te.

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM

JFA…that’s a good punishment. Good job.

I Love Toon…why the lack of optimism?

• Dannyo

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

@ilovetoon
    More like “ihatetoon”.

• spitfire_

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

There was a lot ot optimism before home games against WBA Swansea and 5under1and… no one of them was won… so the lack of otpimism is a good thing.

• ginkoh

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

If we want him with price, why not Drenthe ? Better and cheaper

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Spitfire. I can’t go in to every game thinking we will lose as we lost in other games I was optimistic about. Why would I? So I could be happy if we win and pretend I don’t care if we lose as I said we’d lose? It’s a game, if you’re not hoping / expecting to win what is the point?

Not saying it will be easy, but hey, we’re supporters. Let’s support and push for a win

• davybtoon

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Anyone see the sun today says we’re offering ba a new deal with a huge payrise n were gonna offer him a 5million signing on fee spread over the length of the new deal n it says ba will meet his agent this week over whether he will sign it

• cheick Norris

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM

glad optimism valley is catching on as the pace to be

• spitfire_

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

The fact that some fans are pessimistic about the game doesn’t mean that they will not support the team. Okay?

• magpie6699

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Baggies are Bogeys for us. Plus they have pace (see Fulham game). not in an optimistic frame of mind about today.

• davybtoon

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

WBA have Chris brunt out big miss for them that

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Spitfire. I wasn’t attacking you. Just putting my view across, is that okay?

You state a lack of optimism is a good thing, therefore implying being optimistic is a bad thing?

Anyway, it’s match day, I’m in no mood to bicker. Let’s hopefully have a good day

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Wijnaldum is a top player!

Love to get him but i just can,t see it happening!

I love Toon @ 1 : WBA – 1 NUFC – 3 !

• magpie6699

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Worried about Chaise Long and Peter GodI’mwindy.

• Dannyo

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I have a good feeling today, as opposed to recent games, have feeling we’ll take the 3 pointers home, convincingly.
    Expect us to play as against Stoke.

• Offkey

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I’m hoping this is the game that sees us recapture some form. Like Dannyo, I have a good feeling about the game today.

• chris_g

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM

“…but we have no idea if there’s any truth in this story…”

…but some of us do have an idea that this story is a load of bo11ocks.

• spitfire_

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM

@ CODARM

I know that you don’t “attack” me… neither do I “attacking” you… I accept the opinion of everyone. Cheers mate.

• rich_toonfan

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I agree with Spitfire, I think just because you aren’t optimistic doesn’t mean you won’t cheer on the team.

I would rather fans complain on blogs like this, get all the anger/complaining out their system then go to games and cheer the team on.

I personally think we will take at least a point today as West Brom are poor at home and we will hopefully improve.

• rich_toonfan

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM

From a previous comment on last thread.

Why do people say we should be playing teams off the park? the standard of teams in the league is good, even bottom sides have some quality in the team, all teams have a minimum of 2 or 3 players that can influence a game.

Remember Norwich were unlucky not to take anything off man utd home and away, took a points off chelsea….they are not a push over.

People need to realise we have no right to dominate games when we had so many changes to our team this season. It takes time for players to gel and the manager to get them playing how he wants.

• ilovetoon8788

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM

@rich_toonfan // Mar 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I laughed at your comment. Yea we have no right to dominate games and the standard of teams in the league is very good. agree with everything you say.

but why the HELL are WE GETTING DOMINATED IN ALMOST EVERY SINGLE GAME AND GETTING PLAYED OFF THE PARK?!

• rich_toonfan

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM

sorry for all the posts…and a change of topic….but does anyone think Fraser Forster is a bit hard done by not getting a look in for england? he surely has to be up there with somebody like scott carson or rob green

• cheick Norris

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

@CODARM i might have to change my bamboo to HOVAST now lol

• rich_toonfan

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM

@ilovetoon

I disagree, we aren’t dominated in many games….most of our games we have equal possession and similar chances.

People presume just cause we didn’t dominate it means we were dominated…a lot of the time we are just equaled in game.

we average 50.61% possession so not like we dont see a fair amount of the ball. (source kickoff. co .uk)

Also i found this when looking up possession stats.
    Tiote has been dispossessed more times (3.7) than any other player in the league (source is whoscored. com)

• Scottishtoon95

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Not gunna be watchin the match, gunna watch the hunger games with my mates at the cinema, 2.3 hour long film starts at about 3.30. So will need to pretend I need the toilet to check the score. 🙂

• check the toastie

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Its funny i also have a good feeling about todays game, weird think this Optimism Valley thing is catching on, however down on Reality Drive i think a draw would be gud, as long as the performance is an improvement, as lately we hav been sh1t, thats the view from Reality Drive anyway.

You boys enjoy living in Optimism Valley, i imagine the smell of rose tinted flowers must be idyllic. Even Shola can play 90 minutes well, down in Optimism Valley and Perch offers something to the team other than tackling and graft.

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Spitfire. It’s all for the same cause 🙂

Rich…Agreed. Vent you’re anger here, not the game.

Cheik…I wouldn’t. Took almost a day before I could post again. Everything was waiting moderation!

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Check…In no world or realm can Shola play 90 minutes well

• rich_toonfan

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I like to take the optimistic approach, there is no harm in it and at the end of the day if we don’t win anything at the end of the season, why worry? I have never seen newcastle win anything during my life other than the cchampionship and the inter toto trophy so nothing new for me.

Would love us to win the league or a trophy but if we don’t I don’t really care.

I think people want performances over results sometimes as we probably wont win anything so be nice to watch good football and win nothing that scrappy games and win nothing.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Not brimming with confidence. But thats what I love about Toon. Always unpredictable.

Still remember last season going from 3-0 loss to Manure to hammering Villa.

As for this lad, I wouldnt at that price at all. How many teams have burnt money on youngsters over the past 2 seasons.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Rich_toonfan disagree about forster, watchin the celtic game and he looks useless on all set pieces the lads nearly 7ft and yet wins nothing across the front of the six yard box!
    Also really hope the earlier rumours linking us to scott brown are BS cos he looks like a sh1t joey barton!

• cheick Norris

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM

@CODARM i know but i never really post on match day

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

@JfA HICUP? Must have missed that as I have not been on this weekend yet haha

Optimism Valley is spreading well and plans for expansion seem to be taking hold, perhaps we will see Optimism Town, or Optimism City in the near future. As the General Officer of the Army of Smiling Daffodillers (GOSAD) I hereby declare an all out assault on this blog today of optimistic smiles and positive thinking.

IT’S MATCH DAY PEOPLE!!!! SMILE LIKE YOU MEAN IT 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

HWTL!!!

• cheick Norris

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

very off topic. the headline of the year is on the sun today
    “TULISA’S SEX TAPE GAG ON EX-LOVER”
    genius!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Realised my acronym is the wrong way around…G.O.A.S.D

Doh!

• cheick Norris

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

@ruddy optimism county? then the peoples republic of optimisia