Striker Fighting Every Single Day To Get Back Into The Team

Shola Ameobi  was born in Zaria in Nigeria,  and he moved to Newcastle when he was just five years old in 1987.

Shola Ameobi – playing last year with broken cheek-bone

So Shola has been raised as a Geordie so it’s hardly surprising he represents the local lad who has been a supporter of the side since he arrived in Newcastle.

And he knows all about the Sunderland derbies, and seems to produce his best form for the local rivals and he has 7 goals against them in his career so far.

But Shola is not getting a start these days as Alan pardew tries to form a good understand between the two Senegal strikers, Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse.

Shola says he just wants to play:

“I’m a sportsman – I want to win, I want to play,” “At times you do have frustrations. It is a squad game in this day and age but like I say, I’ve not got many years left and I want to make the most of it.”

“I’ve got another couple of years left on my contract.”  “It’s been a great season and it’s great to have been part of that.” “I’m still fighting every single day to get back in that team.”

“That won’t change, I want to start for Newcastle United and I’ll do everything I can to make that happen.”  “Personally, it’s been frustrating not to play.”

“As a player you want to play every game and I know that obviously the manager has his own designs.”  “The fact is Demba has been one of the top strikers in the league – I understand that side of things.”

Shola looks to be a casual lad, but you can see from those comments,  that he has a burning ambition inside of him, which is what has made him successful for his local club.

Ameobi never quite made the step up to full International play,  even though he looked good playing for the England U21 side, where he scored 7 goals in 20 appearances for them.

And his younger brother Sammy, who we hope to see back before the end of the season, has emulated his brother when he got two appearances for the U21 side under Stuart Pearce late last year.

Sammy was born in Newcastle in 1992, after the family had made the move to the north-east from Nigeria five years earlier, so Sammy is born and bred in Newcastle, and we think Sammy could become a better player than Shola.

For the record,  Shola has 326 appearances for Newcastle with 72 goals,  and young Sammy has made 14 appearances so far with one great goal at Scunthorpe United.

If character and determination have anything to do with it – Sammy could do a lot worse than take the great example set by his older brother.

Comments welcome.

• ilovetoon8788

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM

i really hope we win today. we shouldn’t waste this opporutnity to pull clear off Liverpool. alot of results going our way.

but to do that we really need to improve our play. its been hopeless the past 5-6 games. hope i see something different today.

• chris_g

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Excellent, just what we needed – another article about Shola Ameobi.

It’s been exactly 20 mins since the last one 🙁

Santon—–Willo—- Colo—–Fergi
    ——————-Perch
    HBA—–Guthrie—Cabaye—-Jonas
    ——————Cisse

• Belly

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I feel Shola has never made the impact he should have due to his many injurys. Having said that he can be a great impact sub just like games against Spurs and the scum. He’s great a seeing out a game too with holding the ball up and keeping possession. Maybe a future coach at Newcastle me thinks.

• Belly

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I think we need a good efficient attacking display today keeping it tight at the back, if Guthrie and Cabaye play I feel they will creat plenty of oportunitys for the attackers for us to win the game.

• Sinner

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

My line up would be :

………………………..Krul……………………..
    Simpson…….Willo…….Colo…..Jonas
    …….Guthrie……Perch…..Cabaye………
    Obertan…………………………….Ben Arfa
    ………………………..Ba………………………….

• ilovetoon8788

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

He opted to play for Nigeria but what happened? Why isn’t Nigeria calling him up? They don’t want him too?

• steve

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

So is Tiote definitely out today ?

• GeordieGesus

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I am fed up of people saying Shola is a Geordie. He is not! He maybe an adopted Geordie. But a true Geordie has to be born on Tyneside. As was Sammy.

• steve

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM

GG, so your saying Steven Taylor isn’t a Geordie ?

• steve

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Because he was born in Greenwich, London

• GeordieGesus

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM

steve, I’ve always said he’s not. So yes.

• nufc786

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Tottenham have joined Chelsea in the race to land Newcastle United striker Demba Ba for £7m this summer.
    say it aint so !!!!!!!!!!

Newcastle are tracking PSV Eindhoven midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum as they look at options should star pair Cheikh Tiote and Yohan Cabaye be tempted to move away from the Sports Direct Arena.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew says the club have identified a number of summer transfer targets he believes will “excite the fans”.

• steve

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Fair enough, I would say that being raised in Newcastle and growing up in the Geordie culture would make you a Geordie more than simply the place you were born.

Can’t wait for the match, we need a result but i’m hoping for a good performance can’t remember the last time we really dominated a game.

• GeordieGesus

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM

When referring to the people, as opposed to the dialect, dictionary definitions of a Geordie typically refer to “a native or inhabitant of Newcastle upon Tyne, England, or its environs”,[14] an area that encompasses North Tyneside, Newcastle, South Tyneside and Gateshead.[1][15] However, just as a Cockney is often colloquially defined as someone “born within the sound of the Bow bells”, a Geordie can be defined as someone born “within spitting distance of the Tyne”.[16] Another interpretation is the North East of England.[13]

• nufc786

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

• nufc786

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

this guy Georginio Wijnaldum is only 21 yrs old

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I think the qualifications on being a true Geordie aren’t set in stone,I would say STaylor is a Geordie and Shola an adopted Geordie.

• nufc786

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM

• steve

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM

JFA – I would agree with that mate. I would say the place you are raised and grow up define who you are more than your place of birth.

Not going to keep going on about it as it’s match day and we have bigger things to look forward to. 😀

I’m going 3-1 HWTL

• steve

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM

nufc786 – I wouldn’t get your hopes up mate he wont come cheap and I think bigger clubs than us are keeping a close eye on him.

• GeordieGesus

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Although the clocks going forward has knocked my internal clock 🙁 It means we have an hour less to wait for the game 🙂 I’m going 0-2 Ba and Cabeye to score. HWTL

• Offkey

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM

You probably dont know this guy but he looks impressive – only 24 as well.

• nufc_123

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I’m sure many of you have already seen this, but its quite a nice article http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120325/double-celebration-for-sir-bobbys-foundation_2281670_2687997

• jakesome

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM

saylor and shola ARE geordies you dont know what your on about

• jakesome

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

look at the face of saylor when he scores for the toon and then tell me he isnt a geordie

• jakesome

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

• cupiddstunt

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM

chris_g @ # 2

You really should think before hitting the keys you are reading and being allowed to post comments on Ed’s blog and you complain, not only about the effort Ed is putting in but also of a NUFC player that Ed has posted about, Ed post what he likes as it is his blog.

If this blog and its contents distress you so much why are you here?

If the articles are not to your liking why are you bothering to read them and them post on them?

If you think you can make a better effort of a NUFC blog then the web is there for you to try, I suggest you tie a piece of string to your dummy so when you spit it out you don’t lose it.

• cupiddstunt

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM

And the written terms and conditions for being a Geordie are where?