Davide Santon – I’m Very Happy At Newcastle – Fans Fantastic

Newcastle defender Davide Santon has been interviewed ony intervistasportiva.com,  and he’s made the front pages with a photograph of him under the Howay The Lads sign inside St. James’ Park.

Davide Santon –  I’m happy

Santon joined Newcastle from Inter Milan last summer, but it took some time for him to acclimatize to English football, and make the starting line-up,  and he’ s been in and out as a starter these last few weeks.

The full-back has said he is happy on Tyneside, and he has no plans to return to Italy anytime soon, but that he is pleased he has signed on for five years with Newcastle United, who are now joint 5th on points in the Premier League, and level with Chelsea.

Santon had this to say to intervistasportiva.com:

“Now I feel very comfortable,” “At the beginning I struggled to find space because I still had some problems and because the coach wanted me to understand the type of football they play here.”

“But now I’m finding more space and continuity and I’m happy.”  “The fans are fantastic, really, they give you a crazy charge and incite the team regardless of the score.”

“I’m really happy here and I’m glad to have signed for five years with Newcastle.”  “Come back in Italy? No, at the moment. In the future you never know, it will depend on the opportunities, but now I don’t think about it.”

“The National team? I hope to come back but I’m not thinking to the European Championship. Now I’m interested to play and find continuity, if all goes well things will flow from that. “

Not sure incite the team is really what he meant,  but maybe it got lost in translation. 😀

Davide didn’t make the starting eleven against West Brom yesterday, but he again came on in the second half and had a strong and solid performance, as he continues to learn the ropes at Newcastle.

Santon seems a smashing lad and certainly is giving Newcastle United some great publicity in Italy.

Wonder if there’ s any more like Davide we can get from Italy in the summer?

For the record,  Davide has so far made 19 appearances for the Magpies.

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

This lad is going to be absolutely fantastic for us next season. Can’t wait to have a 2nd full back who mirrors him.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Getting a pie in the face off of the centre back we should have bought is too good for Ashley.

• Crow59Cdo

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM

• HOVIS (the poster formerly known as cheick norris)

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

@jfa lol. you self parody you

• gorgonzola

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Yeap this lad will be legendary just needs to remind himself here and there that he is a shirt no 3 not a shirt no 14 or 11…. but he is a gem I reckon…

really really excited by our team now I have noticed as HBA forms has picked up so has the attacking potential of United….I want to smash De Jongs face in every time I see him now as God only knows where we could have been if it wasnt for that dirty filthback….

Anyhow….

This summer will be rather interesting on who we will succeed in signing…. hope we get massive quality at the back and ONE attacking midfielder either a winger or CM and I think we are set…

• tdt

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM

This is the team I’d like to see on Sunday:

—————–Krul——————
    Simpson-Perch-Williamson-Santon
    —————–Tiote—————–
    —-Cabaye—————Jonas—-
    ———-HBA———Ba————
    —————–Cisse—————–

Then bring on Ferguson, Guthrie and R.Taylor later in the 2nd half.

Got high hopes for Sunday, would really show we mean business if we get a win. 12th man could play a big part.

Which reserve/youth CB’s do we have after perch?

• davybtoon

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Hovis I am really excited for the summer think we’re gonna sign a load of 18 to 20 year olds like abeid n Vukic n I expect them all to b in and around the first team to really bulk up the squad
    Then hopefully mbwia/Douglas n Petiers corgnet Martin boudebouz a few players along them lines
    Looks like romain amalfatano is done deal

• HOVIS (the poster formerly known as cheick norris)

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

@Davy. totally agree with what you think is gonna happen. lots of borderline sub/first team youngsters

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

description on this great lad on Football Manager is ‘wonderkid’. Nuff said.

• GeordieToon89

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM

davybtoon – Do you think we’ll actually try getting all of, Martin, Corgnet, Amalfitiano and Boudebouz ?

A think we’ll get Amalfitiano and 1 other, hopefully Martin… would love to see us sign Pieters/Douglas and Hoilett

• GeordieToon89

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Hopefully the board will realise that for spending £5million on fee’s we can get

Pierters – £5million
    Douglas – Free
    Hoilett – Free

BARGAIN!!

• davybtoon

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Hovis I definitely if you look at some the players so far we’ve been linked with like mahar, van dijk, kondogbia all 18 to 20 very talented I expect lots of signings like these n I also expect Vukic, abeid, tavernier, ferguson, sammi, streete all to b used a lot more

• davybtoon

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Gt89 I expect us to for Douglas n Petiers maybe mbwia instead of Douglas n corgnet then the rest I think will all b 18 to 20 year olds to bulk up the squad
    Seems we’ve really been scouting the Dutch league hard so expect some from there

• davybtoon

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Gt89 also we’ve to get business done early bcoz of the euros or the prices could rocket, I hoping the rumours of dl n LC being in France in jan to tie up deals for the summer were true n hopefully we’ve got a corgnet n mbwia, Martin would b amazing n sochaux really struggling so his profile as dropped

• davybtoon

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Hoping we can steal a march on Martin or boudebouz while everyone else is fighting over hazard

• HOVIS (the poster formerly known as cheick norris)

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM

its very much our style to do our business early. cloak and dagger

• HOVIS (the poster formerly known as cheick norris)

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Wayne Rooney has visited Fabrice Muamba in hospital.

“It’s great, he can almost string a sentence together,” said Fabrice.

• Cool Hand Luke

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Hes just been dropped for the last few games and now this? I smell a rat. Great player, one of my favorites, always looking to make runs and get involved, and contrary to the belief of some fans i think he has done well defensively, just maybe needs to stick a few more tackles in.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Lol:-)

• Cool Hand Luke

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

@ Hovis. any time i see the toon being linked to a player and then the bindippers and a few others being linked i automatically assume its Pardeiux throwing them a red herring now and the real deal is being sneaked in the servants entrance, cloak n dagger as you say.

• HOVIS (the poster formerly known as cheick norris)

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

i think we allow the press to speculate wildly and it covers whatever we are actually doing

• alip123

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Out of all the post relegation signings, the only signing I can think of being reported before it was near completion was the Stephen Ireland loan deal. Every other signing has been reported only after we’ve agreed terms with the team and player.
    Our scouting system deserves a bonus and/or a pay rise definitely

• davybtoon

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Think a lot of teams are jealous of our scouting system n the way we spend think teams are gonna b watching us closely lol

• LGFUAD21

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Just to be clear.

I know Ive been a strong Simmo defender on here recently.

Im not saying he is the future here at all. But I think he is a solid enough player to see us out this season. Sure he may not be good enough for a top 6 club. But I dont think he is championship level.

I just think people are hyper critical of the lad.

Yes I agree we need a better full back next season.

But living in the here and now. He is our best RB option. Santon would leak goals at the right with Willo next to him and HBA in front of him.

I have no issue with Santon being played at LB. But I think it would be awful to replace Simmo with him and then play Fergie (who in my mind is a winger not a LB at Prem level at least).

One thing I will say is that the defense was more solid with Raylor at LB.

I can see Raylor coming into that place if hes fit. Possibly even this Saturday.

Simply, if we play Santon at RB, He gets skinned, fans get on his back, he gets on his own back. He already has confidence issues. It could well ruin him.

I am fully understanding of Simmo wanting to leave knowing the club will most likely buy a better RB option. He has played top flight at RB for 2 seasons. He deserves first team football somewhere. I think somewhere like Villa would be good for him.

Fergie is far from a first teamer IMHO. He needs to go out on loan next season if we can spare him.

Out of all the youngsters I only think Vuckic is the one I would give regular games to. He is the closest to ready out of them all. I think Fergie needs another year to develop. But then again, its far easier to play a young inexperienced CM like Vuckic than it is to put one in at such a crucial position.

We probably should have had as many youngsters out on loan as possible this season and kept the deadweight as back-up. I worry next season we will have to resort to young un-developed players in place of injuries. .

One thing I will say about Santon is that Jonas has been slightly better in the past 2 games without having to look after him. How do people not see that?

• LGFUAD21

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Cool Hand Luke

I dont doubt his ability. He just never looks confident enough. And he seems to occupied with running forward. Been saying for months I think he is actually a winger.

Maybe try playing him in front of Jonas.

My main problem with him, apart from getting caught on the break is that he commits too early and is beaten quite easily. Seen it happen thousands of times.

He will be class next season though

• LGFUAD21

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM

gorgonzola

Up top.

Aye. I agree. HBA ups the tempo and encourages movement among the team.

The energy he brings to the team is well needed. We finally have something to fill the gap of the fire and grit that Joey and Nolan brought to it.

Cabaye was also an absolute beast on Sunday. My close second to HBA for MOTM.

I think its a good testament to how well we played that Cisse scores 2 and Cabaye still beat him for me in terms of performance.

I finally saw the player I had been watching at Lille but with an added Englishness to him

• BringBackTav

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I would say this is Streete’s time but he’s hurt. Henderson plays CB right?

• Marcelinho_Bramble

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM

is it just me or is Jonas GUTIERREZ the SPIDERMAN is playing a Defensive Midfield role last sunday?

• BringBackTav

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:13 AM

@Marcelinho_Bramble-He does some defending and I have no doubts that in a pinch Jonas can play ANYWHERE but I don’t think he’ll start there.

• davis_toons

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Andy Townsend analysis – Always like to watch how he analyse it..he is fair. Shld be a good adviser for Newcastle Backroom Staff

Looking at how Ben Arfa takes on e whole WBA midfield makes me think of how he did it on Everton. He is slowly but surly coming bck..but ..

(i believe he will never be the same again..like it or not the fear factor will always be there when ever a tackle comes sliding in, he is trying to start everything new when the stupid tackle break his legs, guys this is his peak is now or never)

AP on HBA (Full video -aftermatch)

(I always saw Simo asking HBA to comes back and defends, e truth is Simo shld learn to attack like most modern FB but Simo is still our best choice RB for now)

• p

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Curious to see if he pushes santo to cb and returns taylor to lb?

• Carl92

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I think Santon has impressed everyone this season hes so calm and assured on the ball, love that in a player. In a few years he could be right up there with the best but we’l wait and see.
    This summer I’d love to see us bring in a top new CB like Mbiwa or Douglas I also wouldnt mind us looking in the prem and trying to go for Shawcross of someone like that. Id also try and get a top LB in like Cissokho or Benoit Tremoulines and put Santon RB. I then think we should sign Hoillet cos we just cant pass that deal up, I feel the same way about Drenthe. Then I would also like to see us bring in a good young striker incase of an injury, someone like John Guidetti or Bonno wilfried (although he is African) or Alexandre Lacazette. Last but not least I’d imagine wel be bringing in some quality youth aswell. Oh and I seen a few websites linking us with Georginio Wijnaldum Id be very happy if we signed him.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Marcelinho_Bramble

He was kinda in that role. I think he was probably told to share Tiote duties with Guthrie. It was a change for Jonas.

Still remember him going mad in the withdrawn striker role against Chelski last season.

The lad has a top notch work rate. I really think his contribution to the team is underrated. Think we’d struggle with him out (In fact we did when he got that match band earlier in the season).

• Baro

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Just found this article…..

We are interested in Real Madrid rising star Alvaro Morata. Young kid 19 years of age. Plays as a striker. Would love to sign up more and more of these young wonder kids. Someone like Raheem Sterling I would love at this club…

• These name changes, couldn’t resist lads 😉

• davis_toons

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Is he a Xico frm Madrid..

• davis_toons

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Players like simo, willo, rtaylor, guthrie don’t cost us too much. Most are hardworking gd in their own ways with the right attitude footballer. In any worst case, they are still very useful players & we can even get a nice selling price if they moves.

Newcastle prove that Expensive Buys doesnt alway means Gd Buy. Really like to see how Pardew build n turn us into a top four tittle challenge team. Hwtl..

• cyprus

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:22 AM

On a previous post, please sign that contract Ba. Top, top player… On last game, HBA, Ba, Cisse, Jonas (and others) had great games. On coming game:
    Please AP, more of the same, definitely play the same 3 up front, don’t play with fear like we did in the first game…
    btw, AP and players, I’m paying like 600 (tickets, flight, car, hotels) to watch this next game, so let’s go for it! 3-2 after we are down 2-1 at the half. Enrique, Gallagher, will be intimidated by HBA and the other 2 ‘monsters’, don’t you worry. Thanks!!

• jesperfuglsang

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Cyprus mate, where are you traveling from?

I think it will be an unchanged side on Saturday with Tiote of cause back in the side at the expense of Guthrie 🙂

…at least I hope so 😉

The big question is the centre back conundrum – will Perch partner Willo and do we really dare another Simmo/Perch kind of incidence.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Jesper,
    Unless it’s a Pards mind game and Collo could be fit I think Perch will partner Willo,with RTaylor or Santon back into LB,hopefully with all week to work on it ,it might work out ok.