The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Williamson, Perch Now Important Players – Tiote, Taylor Return

10:58 am, Monday, March 26th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

It was bad news that Newcastle could lose Fabricio Coloccini for the next four games with a hamstring pull.

Coloccini congratulates Papiss Cisse after first goal

But  some good news to balance that is that Cheick Tiote and Ryan Taylor are expected to be fit for the Liverpool game at St. James’ Park next Sunday afternoon.

Tiote should have recovered from his hamstring problem,  and Ryan  Taylor has been out for the last three games with a calf problem,  but that has now cleared up.

Newcastle still have a paper  thin squad, and we have been short of center-back cover,  since Steven Taylor was out for the season in early December.

That’s when he ruptured his Achilles, at the end of the Chelsea game at home, and we conceded two stoppage time goals because of it.

And the club’s failure to sign Watford centre-back Adrian Mariappa in January could still come back to haunt us, but we hope not.

Alan talked about the center-back worry at Newcastle:

“ Center-back is the position that’s the worry. We’ve known all year we were vulnerable there.”  “To lose Steven Taylor was disappointing and to lose Coloccini now is tough.”

“We are really going to have to lean on the big fella Williamson who had one of his best games.”  “If we can get Coloccini back it will really boost us as well.”

Mike Williamson has to step up to the plate while Colo is out, and he did play well in yesterday’s game,  apart from the misunderstanding he had with goalkeeper Tim Krul.

But in those situations it’s always dangerous to wait for the goalkeeper to come out  to get the ball, especially with goal poachers like Shane Long around.

In those  situations in the future,  Mike should just kick the ball out of the stadium – when in doubt kick it out, is what we were always told as youngsters.

But there’s no doubt Mike Williamson and James Perch have now become  important players for Newcastle in our continuing efforts to get a Europa League position for next season.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Injuries · James Perch · Mike Williamson · Newcastle News

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 SwedishMagpie // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Williamson vs Suarez :/

• 2 Pardew's fist pump // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I think Colo will be back when for Swansea, he heals quickly and I’m sure himself and the medical team will be doing that every bit extra they can, to hurry it along.

• 3 Pardew's fist pump // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Take that rogue when out*

• 4 Colo-Sus // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

To be fair to Willo, before he had his injurys, he was a really composed no nonsense defender.

I remember Bobby Moncur talking about him a few times on the radio and he really liked im. I think hes got it in his locker to be a good standard CB and he would get into a few other pre teams if we are honest!

He is blatently short of confidence and a little form, so his composure is low, mainly due to being rushed back into the first team (not his fault) and also FAN PRESSURE!!

yes of course we are entitled to our opinions, but right now th lads needs supprt and he needs to feel TEN FEET TALL on Sunday.

Lets do what we can to help that! I have alreay emailed the club, to ask them to pass my support as a fan, it would be good if others could too, it might not do anything, but it might just give him a bit more belief that we are with him.

HWTL

• 5 Colo-Sus // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

A night with Mila Kunis is not good enough for Willo

;)

• 6 Pardew's fist pump // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Willo simply doesn’t like running back towards his own goal, so instead of jockeying the opponent, he’s liable to make rash challenges, because he knows if a nippy player knocks it past him, he’s toast.

My main worry for the Liverpool match, is they go with both Bellamy and Suarez up top. Willo can handle and is suited to play against Carroll, not those 2.

On the other hand, they’ll likely have that Flanagan at RB, who we can take advantage of, and Carragher, who prefers to grapple and keep STs nearby, doesn’t like movement (Cisse) and Benny could run rings around the fossil.

• 7 Colo-Sus // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I honestly think that despite losing Colo, This is the perfect time to play Liverpool!!

If wigan can do them at Anfield we can at St james!! even without Colo!!

HWTL!!!!

• 8 Colo-Sus // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

True supporters will back Wilo to the hilt this week!

• 9 martoon // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I know we have a strict transfer policy i.e. will not pay over the odds for any player but you can’t help thinking another £0.5-1m would have secured Mariappa. This may turn out to be small change when you consider the money you get from higher league position, Europe etc. I think Colo’s injury could cost us.

• 10 He Will Rise Again // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Heed the warning brothers and sisters for he is coming and he shall rise again. From the ashes of optimism valley he will climb to absolve you from your sins against nufc and he shall take down the false prophet ‘ruddy’.

You shall see, this Friday at 5 o’clock his redemption will be at hand and you will be saved!

Do not believe in the valley for he is your only salvation!

• 11 GoalsBringSmiles // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Great, a good season could be ruined in the next few games due to a lack of investment in defence. It is inexcusable that we haven’t replaced Campbell and entered a season with only three suitable centre halfs only two of which are PL standard. To be fair to Williamson he is what he is-I have no criticism for him personally like I never did when Perch was under similar treatment-end of the day you get what you pay for-we paid pennies for these players and the end product is subsequently that they simply aren’t good enough despite their fantastic efforts. If our season tumbles now then the blame lies at the door of Ashley and Llambias for failing to provide adequate resources to make our squad competitive.

• 12 Colo-Sus // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM

He Will Rise Again

Hello Beattie….see you friday

• 13 geordiejamie89 // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

By all rights Newcastle should tear Liverpool a new one, but you never know. The same team has beaten Man City with some great football, but then let three goals in against QPR. Newcastle should score, their defence has plenty flaws, and the same front three would hammer them. Hatem has another good game and we win I think.
    I don’t think we’ll keep a clean sheet with them having the little racist on the pitch, and Bellamy available. And there is always the worry that Judas Carroll will have the game of his career.

• 14 John // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Really dont know about willo seems a box of nerves sometimes badly at fault for WBA goal hope he can make the step up and be the leader at the back, would love to see santon at RB or RM his played out of posistion at LB has to check back every time to cross so does HBA with the exception of him being LM for cisse frist goal he was able to cross first time with his left which he cant do when he plays RM. Had a blinder yest wel done.

• 15 JDdubai // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I reckon there’s still a chance Coloccini will play this weekend…wouldnt put it past Pardew to try to get Liverpool thinking they’ll have it easy and then he will play on the day.

• 16 Rowan Milsted // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Losing Colo is a huge hit for us, there’s just no hiding away from it. But at least there are some positives.

One one of our best assets over recent seasons, including when Hughton was in charge, has been our team spirit and our fighting quality. Even when we haven’t played well this season (spells of the Norwich game, the 2nd half against Wolves, most of the Blackburn game) we’ve still been able to pick up points, with a few exceptions of course. Our grit, steel and determination, and our players’ desire to work for each other on the pitch, had been a huge part of our success this season. Loosing Colo is a massive blow for sure, but we’ll fight even harder without him.

Perch is another plus. I’m still not going to totally revert my opinion of him yet, but in the last 3 or 4 games he’s been so much better, especially yesterday where he was my 3rd choice man of the match. Never thought I’d say that. To turn his recent performances around after being, to be honest, pretty awful before that, shows that he has strength of character and the ability to improve. If he can keep growing and take this chance to show everyone exactly what he’s capable of then hopefully we won’t suffer too much. It’s a shame he’ll have to drop back in at CB though, which is where he’s looked his weakest, but he is a CB after all and I’m sure Pardew will be drilling him hard in training all week.

Tiote coming back is exactly what we need after losing Colo. He’ll make a huge difference. It’s a real shame that as Perch has improved in recent weeks Guthrie has been awful the last 2 games. I don’t know if he’s moving on in the summer and he knows it, or if he’s just having a sudden blip in confidence and form, but he just didn’t look interested yesterday and he was non-existent against Norwich. Tiote coming back will really sure things up in the middle.

Williamson looked slightly better yesterday, which is good, and that sloppy goal we conceded was more Krul’s fault in my opinion. Pards played it down very well so hopefully they won’t dwell on it and he’ll improve again next week. It’ll be a lot harder for him without the skipper to marshal his performance, but that’s what we’ve been all about these last three seasons – spirit, drive and belief!

The other big positives are Cisse and HBA, who have both been outstanding recently. Ba came close to scoring again but the work he does off the ball and in defence is pivotal. When he’s not scoring he’s still having a massive contribution to the game, so for me those 3 players up top are 3 of the most dangerous in the league on their day.

We’ll be oozing confidence after 6 points from 2 games; Liverpool will be exactly the opposite. So, like I say I’m gutted about Colo, but there’s a lot to be glad for!

• 17 martoon // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Colo-Sus @12 – I’m sure you are right because that is definitely his style of wrting. In fact I’m surprised he has not been back already to tell us he was right all along about using 433.
    I’ve just looked back through the blogs at people’s team predictions and I can’t see anybody who got it correct which is surprising as it was the same team as against Norwich (same personel anyway). I’m just hoping against Liverpool the team against WBA turn up and not the team against Norwich!

• 18 Vask // Mar 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Has Willo got his own song?
    He could do with a morale boost and I think a packed to the rafters St James’ singing his name could give him that lift. Of course, it could go the other way and pile shed loads of pressure on him.

• 19 Pigott93 // Mar 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Anyone think Tiote could do a job in centre back or would he be too wreckless??

• 20 markmac // Mar 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM

@19 how tall is he? i think thats the biggest problem we dont want to short guys like v norwich, if perch is fit he WILL start there, the other option is santon but he’s more of an attacker than defender so wprobly wont suit CB imo

• 21 cupiddstunt // Mar 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM

GoalsBringSmiles @ # 11

What a load of bs you say you have no criticism for Willo but you criticise by insinuation, “only two of the three” are of standard, I really do question the intelligence of people that claim one thing but are doing the complete opposite in the same paragraph.

Do you actually understand what you are typing?

As for the old chestnut you only get what you pay for, what a monstrous heap of bs that one is, we are level with chelski, sitting eight points above slitherpool and ten points above the mackems but we spent the least so tell me again you only get what you pay for.

“You only get what you pay for “ is a salesmans mantra I know that as I spent several years earning a living as one, and it is used to tip the sale in your favour when pitching to a resistant sucker.

Trotting that one out tells me you were hooked years ago and continue to pay through the nose for over priced labels.

One word describes that type of thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,, MUG.

• 22 Pigott93 // Mar 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

@ markmac
    yes but perch is also fairly short and i know he will start there and i am happy he is he is playing well was just wondering what people thought of cheik there..yes santon is tall but from what ive seen he does not look very good in the air sagna beat him to evry high ball against arsenal i would like to see him right back instead of simpson but i know that is not going to happen

• 23 GoalsBringSmiles // Mar 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

cupid @21

Question my intelligence all you like but when you do so have a word with your own wise guy…firstly, I haven’t insinuated a thing-my point was simple and transparent-i support whoever pulls on the black and white shirt but I am also realistic enough to accept that some players are not quite good enough for European aspirations. This is not a criticism of Williamson as a player but rather the ambitions of an owner who has shown himself as willing to gamble on our fantastic progress in shortchanging the squad. Williamson as a squad player has contributed to our progress as has Perch, but surely an ambitious owner would have seen the opportunity to fill the conspicuous gap left in Taylor’s absence. Indeed, the issue need not even be about quality of players but quantity-nobody can deny that we have dropped points these season due to unsuitable replacements for first team players. We are still in a great league position but I wouldn’t even be having this conversation if there were contingency plans in place for the loss of our integral captain-there is justified worry at the slightest of knocks to Colo as we all know that his replacement can not sustain his level of performance. Nevertheless fingers crossed that whoever comes in can battle through and that MA invests big time in the summer-which he’ll need to do more so than ever before if we qualify for europe (please note i do not mean spending 10m plus per player).

Cupid, I will answer your patronising question when you reflect on your own ‘bs’ and answer it yourself-’do you actually understand what you are typing?’ I think I already know the answer however, and it likely differs to yours. Once again you have taken a wrong turn-just because I say ‘you only get what you pay for’ in relation to Williamson in particular, how can you conclude that what I mean is we must spend comparatively large amounts of money in order to find the right quality? Tell me where I have said this? The amount we have paid for foreign imports like Tiote, Cabaye, etc. is fantastic and long may this astute transfer business continue however, you can not tell me that a few hundred thousand for a lower league player can be expected to produce a consistent top quality PL and European player-this is a rarity, and sorry but Williamson is not a rarity.

One more thing Cupid you quite rashly call me a mug immediately after questioning my intelligence an insult you have based upon your own assumptions and prejudice…bright as a button you lad, and a salesman to boot…this suggests a lot about your own personality in that you’re able to justify ripping off an unsuspecting ‘sucker’ because they are somehow a lower form of life than yourself. Get real, you are not the only human being on this planet and you aren’t always right. For example, you jump to yet another mammoth conclusion in pigeonholing me as a materialist after ‘over priced labels’, I defy anyone to find a single household labelled attached to the clothes that I wear. So no, i am not one of your ‘suckers’ Cupid just as I am not a man willing to gain from the misled greed of my fellow men. Assumption is not the ilk of a wise man, nor is manipulation or prejudice so drop the act brainiac.

• 24 Dearka // Mar 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM

we could always get sol campbell back on loan again if people aren’t happy with willo and perch at Centre-Back lol

• 25 Pigott93 // Mar 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM