Kenny Dalglish A Disaster As Newcastle Manager

Kenny Dalglish was a world class player when he played for Celtic and Liverpool.

Kenny Dalgish – only 7th in the league table

And there cannot be too many Scottish players that were better than Kenny, and when he was player manager at Liverpool and manager of Blackburn, he was also a very good manager.

But since 1995, when he won the Premier League title with Blackburn, he’s done nothing in management.

That’s other than be at Newcastle for 20 months and at Celtic for a short while, and of course he’s now back at Liverpool.

But at Newcastle he took the side from  a 2nd place finish in 1997,  when he came in for the departed Kevin Keegan in January of that year,  and took Newcastle to fighting relegation in the next season and finishing 13th in the table on 44 points, and above Tottenham, Wimbledon and Sheffield Wednesday only on goal difference.

That’s after Kenny sold a number of local lads in the summer of 1997, including Lee Clark and Robbie Elliot, as we recall.

And that was the lowest position Newcastle had ever finished in the Premier League at that time, and we remember well when John Hall called the season a disaster.

And when Kenny was told about that statement in a press conference, he seemed surprised, but after the first few games of the 1998-1999 season he was sacked by Freddy Shepherd,  and in came Ruud Gullit, who turned out to be not much better and he only lasted about a year.

Former Newcastle striker Faustino Asprilla got short shrift from Kenny during that time, and found himself mostly on the bench and he has this to say today to the local press:

“When Kenny Daglish arrived at Newcastle I had heard so many good things about him.” “And I could not wait to play for him.”

“Anyone who achieves so much as a player like he did you would naturally expect him to do well as a manager.” “This was not the case. Within months he had the team playing a style that was alien to most of us and he started to sell some of our star players.

“The stars like Ginola, Ferdinand and Beardsley were moved on.” “It was a team that could have gone on to win the league, having come so close in 1996.”

“But instead we were broken up and the dream faded. I was sad to see Dalglish destroy the team.”

“I found myself out of the side and on the bench.”  “I did not feel that this was fair and knew that given the chance I could turn around our average season.”

“I did not complain, I just did my training and waited for my chances, but they were few and far between.”   “My departure was a sad day for me and I wish things could have been different.”

“I have no malice towards Kenny, but with hindsight I think the club and the fans realise now that he was not the right man for the job.”

One of the best ever performances by Newcastle in the European Champions League took place in the 1997-1998 season when Newcastle beat Barcelona 3-2 at St. James’ Park,  and Aspilla scored a hat-trick.

But that still didn’t lead to a starting position for the Colombian.

We were surprised at all the hullabaloo when Kenny was appointed Liverpool manager lats year, although to be fair he did steady the ship at the end of last season, after a disastrous short reign by Roy Hodgson.

But Dalglish has spent close to Faustino 120M since then and Liverpool are hardly doing well in the league this season, although Liverpool have done very well in the two Cups – winning the Carling Cup and reaching the final four this season in the FA Cup.

And in 1998 he even got Newcastle to the FA Cup final, when we were beaten 2-0 by Arsenal.

This was the Newcastle team on that day in 16th May, 1998:

Shay Given; Warren Barton, Steve Howey, Nikos Dabizas Stuart Pearce; Robert Lee (c) David Batty Gary Speed Alessandro Pistone; Temuri Ketsbaia   Alan Shearer
Substitutes: Shaka Hislop Steve Watson John Barnes Philippe Albert Andreas Andersson

It’s surprising how that team struggled in the league that season.

But it’s the league form that’s the real measure of a manager, and Kenny is on a failing grade  at the moment.

• check the toastie

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Reading between the lines, King Kenny did a really good job at the Toon – Bel1end

• martoon

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Repost from last blog:
    It is funny how people can have completely different opinions about players such as Danny Simpson. I wonder if this happens with the coaches & manager?
    I can imagine Pardew saying I think he is a good player let’s sign him and Graham Carr saying no he is pants do not sign Obertan 🙂

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I f’cking love Tino!

Amazing that he’s come out and said this – everyone knows it but no one ever has the balls to talk about just how poor he was.

A Liverpool fan said to me the other day

“You always seem to do well when you’ve got our managers”.

WHAT? Souness? Dalglish? Clueless pr!cks!!

• t00ntime

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

@1 lol read between the lines, means understanding what he actually meant. Not make something up

he very clearly says he was no good at toon…

• He Will Rise Again

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

HE says that Kenny ruined our club on purpose!

• martoon

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

@1 and so ‘the reading between the lines’ jokes start again………………………….

• Sgt. Heagerty

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Dogleash was atrocious for the toon. If tino said it by God its true…imagine if we could throw a prime tino into the side

• check the toastie

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Tino was a class act, the type of player any team would have, disapointed it is always brought up as a reason why we lost the league, it was not down to Tino, other players fell apart and started missing chances and our luck totally deserted us and that fooking Graham Fenton (hope hes sat somewhere pleased with himself) wot a twot, needs to see how double agent Chopra performed when he played the toon, a true geordie, Fenton cost us the title for me, hope he doesnt creep aroond the toon unnoticed, sh1thead.

• Vask

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

This is totally wierd I just watched that video on youtube this morning then I went to the papershop seen tino on the front page of the chronicle come back and now there is this article. Great minds, eh?

Asprilla was immense I absolutely revered him when I was a youngster, watching that video this morn brought it all back, Kenny did destroy our team and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was on purpose and i’ll tell you what…

I would love it if we beat them on Sunday, LOVE IT!

• Tsunki

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM

t00ntime – ha ha you probably never saw that joke – it was someone who posted a completely random/moronic assumption with exactly that opening statement. I suppose reading between the lines will get you killed at the Metro.

Anyway, as I have missed the daily blogathon I need to catch up on things. Word from the unwashed hordes is that their comical exit from the Cup leaves them devoid of purpose this season, the only target left being they might be able to have a superior GD at the end of the season to us. They are now basically resigned to treading water to the end of the season. Ho ho ho children!

As for King Kenny Kapers, was he the premature end of Ginola? He certainly demoralised and downgraded a very good team core so that Gullit the complete loon could finally come in and destroy any vestige of identity (Rob Lee – here’s a bucket, clean my Beemer..Alan who? get on that bench!) Kenny unfortunately lives on his own playing past and has not advanced with the modern game. Even down to still probably having ‘Whites Only’ showers and a ‘No Coloureds’ drinking fountain, a nice nostalgic throwback to the days of Apartheid, ahhh things were so much simpler back then , eh, Kenny? Actually he would go a long way in my estimation if he had just learned to speak the language by now, even Suarez can racially abuse people in fluent English and he’s only been here a few weeks!

• He Will Rise Again

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Sgt

Tino, Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa would be amazing

• Vask

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Tsunki, are you some kind of racist?

• Tsunki

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Vask, are you some kind of idiot? I know irony and sarcasm can be like playing with fire on this blog, but seriously lad, can’t you read? It’s twice in the same thread you’ve misunderstood comments – think about it. 🙂

• Vask

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Mate, I was tekkin the piss, the irony is is that you couldn’t see the irony being the prime proponent of irony as a tool for humour. Just out of interest, what was the ‘other’ thing I misunderstoond?

• Tsunki

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Vask – Oh. I see. Sorry. I might have got the irony of your irony if you put a lol or a smiley after it, though.

I thought you misunderstood the ‘reading between the lines ‘ running gag too. Unless, ironically, I misunderstood by wrongly reading between the lines of your deliberately misunderstood ironic statement? 🙂

BTW you do realise that when I said ‘ are you some kind of idiot’ I was being ironic? Ahaaa – never saw that coming did ya?

Anyway, have you wondered that being ‘some kind of’ racist/idiot is like calling King Kenny ‘some kind of’ Scotsman, or Mark Lawrenson as ‘some kind of” turd he he he.

• Vask

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Ah, you got me good. Wait a second, did you just call me an idiot?

• Grafton83

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM

This was the Newcastle team on that day in 16th May, 1998:

Shay Given; Warren Barton, Steve Howey, Nikos Dabizas Stuart Pearce; Robert Lee (c) David Batty Gary Speed Alessandro Pistone; Temuri Ketsbaia Alan Shearer

If i remember correctly Shearer didn’t play because he was injured. You’ve also missed Faustino out of the line up

• Grafton83

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Oh wait I see what I’ve done, I watched the video instead of reading the writing. Ignore my last comment

• Tsunki

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Vask 🙂 ……I…dunno – did I? I think I better stick to falling down manholes or having pies thrown in my face; I was ok with slapstick, this irony stuff is too highbrow. I suppose that’s why I am on a NUFC blog, after all 😉

• vibroguy

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM

i recall the crop of shocking signings, like anyone who had played for Liverpool ever. What was the point of signing Ian Rush or John Barnes? Oh and his son, who was about as much use on the pitch as I am

• jakesome

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM

———–krul—————
    watson-albert-collo-beresford
    HBA—tiote–lee–ginola
    ——shearer–tino———–
    given, saylor, warren barton, speed, beardsley, cole, ba

• TOON RSA

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM

this came to me in a dream – to the tune of … i’m sure you’ll get it.

How much was that Daglish in the window? – THIRTY FIVE!
    He’s one of your many fails
    How much was that Daglish in the window? – THIRTY FIVE!
    Guess who we bought from that sale…

AND THEN ONTO…

Demba 1
    Demba 2
    We’ve got more demba’s than you!
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Both can score a goal
    Geordie boys from Senegal!

• Robby Bobson

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Didn’t Tino turn up in January and start selling cocaine to some of the players?…something that coincided us blowing the title.

Im sure i read that somewhere, a few years ago.

• FootballPsycho

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

TOON RSA hahahahahahahaha that is brilliant can you imagine the whole stadium singing that? would be amazing

• Graeme

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I was always led to believe that Pedro left Toon because Dogleash was having a bit of extra curricular with his Mrs!! He was less than happy when Dogleash ended up back at Liverpool and Pedro came back to SJP.

Could be true, could be a load of bovine excrement, I dont know for sure!!

• Ketsbaia9

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I like Kenny as a person, but unfortunately, he sent us into decline. Robson resurrected this but I felt that we needed to sign a few more players in Bobby’s reign. We could’ve challenged for he title with a few more additions. If we sign some more quality players in the summer, I think we’ll have a very good chance of competing with Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal. City are miles ahead of everyone in terms of playing staff.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM

@26:

What you are basically saying is that City are miles ahead of everyone else in terms of playing staff?
    Is this not logical if you take into account the amount of money they,ve got behind them!
    The difference is that we are one step ahead of the rest at the moment when it comes to our transfer policy! Good players with talent don,t cost Millions!
    The trick is spotting the talent before someone else does, buying cheap and then developing and nurturing that talent so it would cost another club Millions to buy that talent off us!

Now doing something like that takes Class! And that is something City just don,t have! So when you say City are miles ahead in terms of playing staff! You may be right but in my view! If you have an endless budget that has no boundaries then it is not surprising that the players you have are going to be way ahead of the rest! Money they do have! Class they don,t!

Kenny Dagleish basically ripped apart the team that Keegan put together and replaced most of it with old Liverpool players who were past their best playing days!
    Asprilla is perfectly correct in saying what he is saying on different blogs on here! Then after Kenny got sacked that clown Gullit just carried on where he left off and the rest as they say is history!

Liverpool and Chelsea have been watching us this season and have been linked continually with the most of our best players! Most are now happily tied down to long term contracts which means it will cost them millions to buy them from us!

I,m hoping we hammer them this Sunday, but i won,t be too bothered if we don,t ! We don,t want to get too many injuries in that game coz we still have a seven game run-in to amass more points towards our push towards a place in Europe! If too many more of the players get crocked we will be knackered for the rest of the run-in and we don,t need something like that~!

HWTL !!!!!!!

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I really despise the man. This is a guy that sold Ginola and Tino and brought his buddies from the 70’s like the fat Barnes and the veteran Ian Rush with mustache and all ffs! I can’t stand him but loving the crap he’s doing at Liverfool I knew he would be shite! He destroyed our fabulous team of entertainers and turned them into a mix of the old mixed in with the young shit from every hole in the world. Andreas Andersson, Jon Dahl Tomasson, Guivarch’ ffs!! The list goes on and it’s a sad one. The man is stuck in the past and he took Newcastle back at least 5 years! Even if we reached the final it had nothing to do with him, and Dogleash deserves no credit whatsoever!

I loved it when them dirty scousers hailed him as ‘King Kenny the Messiah’ LOL
    Long live the King – You fcuking clown!!

PS.. Try speaking English Kenny it would help if you spat that ball of shit from your mouth- I can never understand a word the tool says.

You might have been a great player but you’ve turned into an awful manager.

PAST IT!

• davis_toons

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Faustino Asprilla is my fav.
    Ginola is not finish at his age. Who score so many winning goals for spurs and become their hero?

Kenny knows nothing. We lost so much games under him at that point of time when we are at perk. So away so much great players instate of intergation building a team.

• Sav

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Selling Watto, Beardo, Ginola and Sir Les on us while
    replacing them with Rush, Barnes, Guivarch, Gary Brady and ‘Disco’ Des Hamilton.
    No wonder he’s a legend on Miseryside.
    ….and not forgetting the BT ad.

• ontariomag

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:55 AM

It always struck me as a big mistake selling sir les and ginola to tottenham and not taking sheringham in exchange. As he left for man utd at the same time not as if he had a good partnership with shearer or anything like. Wissened up scottish tw@T his arrogance destroyed us he only needed to by a centre back and we would have won the league. Pity sir bobby wanted to finish the barcelona job or if he had come with a young mouriniho we would probably be on our 10th title by know

• geordie.In.Taipei

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:13 AM

He was given a great team and structure when he took over at liverpool the first time, so he was gifted a title. He bought it at Blackburn. But when he got to Newcastle, he was neither gifted a set up nor given the money to buy one…so he brought in his old pals barnes n post man pat (ian rush) gave them great pay offs for being shit and buggered us good style. Now at liverpool hes just bought himself enough to remain in the top flight…but you are hearing it here first ‘Rush coming out of retirement to play for the bin dippers’