The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Liverpool Will Be Ready For Newcastle

1:40 pm, Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 177 Comments

It may not be the best time to play Liverpool.

Alan Pardew – will have our lads ready on Sunday

Liverpool beat Newcastle 3-1 on December 30th, and it was only the second time this season that The Reds have scored 3 goals at home in a league game – the other time being when they beat Bolton 3-1 in August.

But this year in the league Liverpool have been abysmal, and in 11 games they have won only two, drawn two and lost seven – so that’s only 8 points out of a possible 33.

That’s a terrible slump for a club like Liverpool, but  they will be trying to come off two losses against relegation sides – QPR and Wigan - and trying to get their season back on track at St. James’ Park with a win.

The last thing Newcastle should be doing is being over-confident, and with Fabricio Coloccini missing the next couple of games, it will be a huge test for this new Newcastle side.

There’s no doubt our lads will be confident after coming off  wins against Norwich and West Brom, and in our 8 remaining there’s only Manchester City who are currently above us in the league table, and they are our last home game on Sunday 6th May.

Former Newcastle players Andy Carool and Jose Enrique will be returning to Newcastle , and while Jose has been as good at Liverpool as he was at Newcastle, that’s not been the case with Andy, who so far has been a big disappointment.

This is a massive game for Newcastle,  because a win will basically submarine Liverpool’s chances of catching Newcastle in the league, since we’ll be 11 points above them with just 7 games remaining.

A win will significantly increase the chances that Newcastle can finish 6th in the league table.

And if the Gods are with us – that may be good enough for a Europa league position – which would be fantastic.

We want to see Newcastle somewhere near their very best form on Sunday, and if they can play like that, we could get revenge  on Liverpool for the 3-1 defeat at Anfield and we’ll all be in orbit.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News

177 responses so far ↓

• 1 Vask // Mar 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Let’s make it 3 wins in a row!

• 2 ToonDownSouth // Mar 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I like to think that Ed spelt Carroll’s name wrong on purpose.

• 3 Vask // Mar 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM

It’s time for Arfa to rip Liverpool a new bumhole, do it for the entertainers. That’s thrash them and put them where they belong, under the toon in the league forever more.

• 4 He Will Rise Again // Mar 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I am so pumped for this match and even HE has got a stiffy.

Let’s smash these dirty rats and cement 6th putting pressure on Chelski!

We can do it boys!!!

• 5 geoff777 // Mar 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

If we can play like we did in the first half against WBA we’ll give the bindippers a hammering.

They aren’t playing well, we seem to be improving … bring them on.

HWTL

• 6 Toon_Tom // Mar 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

VASK – agreed :)

• 7 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Yeah and we will be ready for them! Our back four (whoever that is lol) need to be strong & confident for this one. bellamy must get no room from Simmo, unlike last time. Stay back there lad and keep goalside of him. If Tiote is in and fit enough he can safeguard that back line, meantime, as another poster above has keenly observed, this is the game for HBA to mock their defence. I am hoping for more of the flashes of linkup between Ba and HBA that destroyed the baggies at will.

I watched O’Neill screwing his little old Koala face up into a knot with glee last night, KK’ Klan can go a long way to making his miserable mug go redder than a slapped ass by slipping over like they did at Wigan – we have to be better than them even with a makeshift back four, haven’t we? Oh, and Willo – Let go of his SHIRT!

• 8 Toonbyblood // Mar 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I think Liverpool will go with 3 strikers with Carrol up front. Suarez (who’ll fallover everytime Tiote looks at him) and Kuyt(he plays well agaist us) up there too.

• 9 Toon_Tom // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Krul~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Santon~~~~~~~~~~Perch~~~~~Willo~~~~~~~~~Raylor
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tiote~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~Cabaye~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Jonas~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~Ba~~~~~HBA~~~~Cisse~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 10 Toonbyblood // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Toon Tom – Without Collo there id go experience at the back and put Simmo in for Santon. Raylor prolly a good bet. Solid.

• 11 Sgt. Heagerty // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Nothing would please me more then to smash the wallettsnatchers and show Enrique and Judas that the 30 pieces of silver wasn’t worth it and Liverpool aren’t a bigger club then the toon. I would rather play at st James then ghat commy park anyday.

• 12 Sgt. Heagerty // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Raylor too slow to play fullback against Liverpool, id play simmo and santone both have pace to cope especially with Jonas backtracking for davide

• 13 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

We have been unpredictable this season and it depends which team turns up! I am hoping it is the Fulham/WBA first half one and not the second half one. The bin dippers are low on confidence and if we start well and score the opening goal then I’m sure we can go on to win it.

• 14 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I hope that Willo can take care of the aerial clearance duties and that Perch will cover the decisive tackling parts – he seems to be pretty precise these days and doesn’t get carded easily. Also I would like Willo to have his arms taped to his sides at the elbows if that’s ok. I also hope that Tim ball-rolling arm finally works and that he does not kick absolutely every ball he gets out into that ‘white space’ inhabited by only seabirds and opposition players pulling the grass out of their studs.

I also hope that Andy Carroll plays to form and that Bellamy has a last minute fitness test failure. And that we start with them playing into the sun. Not much to hope for, surely?

• 15 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Good afternoon all.

So Collo has been ruled out for 2 games. Not looking likely for Liverpool then. Have we managed to settle the debate of which back line we as fans want and the one that Pardew will go with? I’m pretty sure Pards will go with:

Simmo – Willo – Perch – Raylor

The only change I might make is to put Guti in the back for Raylor.

Maybe put Raylor RM and drop Guthrie? Has anyone noticed that Cabaye’s corners and freekicks haven’t been that good? I’m thinking it’s lack of practice (within games). Raylor has taken most this season and I think it’s thrown Cabaye a bit. What’s your thoughts?

• 16 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Tsunki…I’ve shortened your “want list”.

1) Beat them

• 17 Jonny // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

———————————-Krul————————————

Simpson————–Perch————-Williamson————Santon

————————Tiote—————-Jonas————————

———————————-Cabaye———————————-

Ben Arfa——————————————————–Demba

————————————Cisse———————————-

• 18 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Good afternoon Ibiza – I think Pardew might play your suggested back four but I also think Sgt. Heagerty @12 makes a valid point so I can’t decide. I don’t think Raylor’s freekicks & corners of late have been very good either. More practice on the training ground maybe?

• 19 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Hello Martoon. How’s life on the darkside treating you ;)

I agree Raylor is too slow, not sure this is the game for speedy FB’s. We need them to stay back and defend. There’s no Collo, need to be bloody tight at the back

• 20 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

With regard to Raylor’s free kicks etc. Agreed. More practice obviously needed.

• 21 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Yes we need Jonas to step up on the falling over lark he’s looking a bit hammy lately and refs aren’t biting any more. Also HBA can milk the damaged leg with a few ‘horror tackle’ recreations to get a few more spot kicks, Raylor should get loads of practice in then.

• 22 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Actually I believe there’s a cheating masterclass organised this sunday afternoon at SJP, so if our lads can take a leaf out of Mr Suarez’s pamphlet we might get loads of practice in for both Cabs and Raylor that afternoon.

• 23 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Ibiza – it is pretty warm today on the darkside probably as warm as Ibiza! I think we need speed y FBs to cope with Bellamy, Kuyt etc rather than for going forwatd.

• 24 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Tsunki…Looking at your comment @22. Are you saying Suarez cheats?

• 25 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Vask – if you’re still here mate previous post @14 is my kind of apology about all things ironic. That’s all you’re getting mind :)

• 26 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Martoon…glad you’re getting some of the sun. I can finally offload some guilt :)

You’re probably right about the FB’s. Need to be able to chase them back as well as stand strong. An interesting week for Pardew. Can he pull it off? Well excited for this game…..come on Sunday, hurry up already

• 27 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

He will rise….Does “HE” normally suffer with impotence then?

• 28 WWJBD // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Honestly I’ve written off this match as Colo is out but I have been stunned before so who knows. Would love to beat them and for our former players to under perform but El Toro will be up for it as will Bellend but reckon Carroll will be ruined but the atmosphere if he plays at all.

Gerrard is still my main worry he will run riot if he’s allowed space. Cabs on him Tiote on Suarez would be my plan Gutti to hold Bellend/Kuyt which ever of them plays. Let Downing do what he wants as he is pony then hit on the break.

• 29 ToonHeart // Mar 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM

If we play with the link up like the last game With Ba, Cisse and HBA we will rip them to shreds

• 30 He Will Rise Again // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

HE does suffer from impotence but only on days when the talk is slow. The conversation regarding Liverfool is making him more aroused than a rabbit in the playboy mansion.

Forgot to mention as well that HE is totally not a John o’shea and loves the ladies.

• 31 Toon_Tom // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

WWJBD – i think we would ALL love it, LOVE IT IF WE BEAT THEM!!! :p

• 32 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Tsunki – Maybe Vask is American because they don’t understand irony ;)
    He will rise again – is that true about John O’shea or just an urban myth?

• 33 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM

So is the username connected with this impotence issue?

For slow talk days “HE” could always try a little blue pill? In the meantime, we shall see what we can discuss to help arouse the poor fella….hmmm, that doesn’t sound quite right :)

• 34 davybtoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Think we will win this game no pressure on us to win its all on Liverpool n there terrible away from home

• 35 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Well Ibiza, regarding your query @24, actually this is going to come as a shock, but, along with his dislike of the Jackson 5 he is known to sometimes fall over and attempt to win world cup qualifiers etc with his hands. But you’ll be pleased to know he’s a very good turn at it, so should provide some entertainment and a few laughs along the way for the home crowd.

• 36 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

So if we need FB’s with pace then Jonny @17′s team is probably the one.

• 37 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Tsunki…well I never. He has such an honest looking face too. Need to stop being so naive I guess.

Davy…Not sure i’m so confident we will win. But the pressure is certainly on them and not us. I’m quietly optimistic about this game

• 38 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM

martoon – yeah as long as you read that as being with pace to get back quickly ;) I suspect Raylor will be slotted in somewhere though.

• 39 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Martoon…I’d be happy with Jonnys line up. Not sure Simpson qualifies as a pacey FB though.

• 40 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Honest looking face? You seriously don’t think he has just his OWN set of teeth in that mush do you? I think he pinched them off Ronaldinho some time back.

• 41 He Will Rise Again // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I am not 100% sure about John o’shea but the rumour is that he us long term partners with will young.

Apparently will young’s song jealousy was written about John o’shea being in the shower with Patrice Evra.

Pringle can apparently

• 42 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Oh and yeah I forgot – they have Downing ha ha ha. Oh dear, stop it.

• 43 He Will Rise Again // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Does anyone else have a pure hatred for liverfool and every thing they stand for as a football club?

I do not know where this fire has come from but I and HE despise them!!

• 44 WWJBD // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Toon_Tom
    Ah the TRUE King quoted have to enjoy that. Liverpool games are the biggest ones for me purely because I dislike them most in the league and their fans actually show up so great to rub it in their faces

• 45 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

He Will Rise – Pringle as in ‘once you pop you can’t stop’ Pringle? Hmm. Urgh.

• 46 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Tsunki….lol. Wonder what Ronaldinho looks like with no teeth?

He will rise..”He us” – so John O’Shea, “HE” and you are all long term partners of Will Young? Cor he’s one busy boy

• 47 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM

And yes….I despise Liverpool too. Only really crept in since last January…no idea why, should be thanking the stupid tw@’s really

• 48 He Will Rise Again // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Will Young is as randy as a Sunderland fan in a room with his cousins

• 49 Toon_Tom // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

W – definitely mate. Apart from slaying the unwashed, this is the game I lust for !!!!!

• 50 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM

We should go all out and enjoy our football against Liverpool. we are 8 points clear and Liverpool are rubbish anyway. Just play with freedom and use Arfa as our main attacking outlet. 3 points will surely come and teach Judas and Enrique a lesson or 2.

• 51 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM

He will rise…some good banter there…”he” must be uncontrollable right about now :)

I’m trying not to get too excited about this game, but can’t help myself. I so want to beat them.

• 52 He Will Rise Again // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Tsunki

As in girth and width and length.

It is well documented that on a clear night you can see evras manhood from space

• 53 He Will Rise Again // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM

HE is soooo excited by all this talk that you could literally pitch a tent.

• 54 Munster Mag // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Differemt point of view….but much as I would love the Europa League…is it worth it? It seems to hammer teams for injuries etc, gives little money in return, and given the quality of some of the teams ( eg those that dumped out the Man teams ) ….very very hard to win.

Thoughts ??

• 55 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Munster….That has been thrown about a bit on here. My views:

– Not a lot of money, but still some more money to invest in the team.
    – PL should still be our priority, so use Europa League to try out some young players and see where we get.
    – Europe will help attract more players to the club

You’re right with the injuries point. However that could happen at any point of the season, so not a good enough reason not to go for it.

All in all, I want European football, possibly next year may be too soon, so don’t make it a priority. Qualifying for Europe the following season has to be more important than progressing too far in the comp…for next season anyway

• 56 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I used to like Liverpool because I thought they were similar to us. I think the dislike started when their scouting policy became go and look at Newcastle and buy their best players! Of course Dogleash as manager does not help – I quite like Rafa.

• 57 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

He will rise….It’s good weather for it. A couple of days camping before the Friday 5pm deadline could be just what “HE” needs.

• 58 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Martoon. Spot on. It’s Dogleash and knicking our players. That’s where it starts and stops. The scousers are a bit annoying as well

• 59 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

nicking* get out of there k

• 60 Vask // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Tsunki I’m still here just been driving, don’t worry I took it all in good humour, which is more than I can say for ibiza’s absolute insult, american? vask is a geordie!

• 61 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Vask mate…I didn’t say anything about you.

• 62 sirtoongospel // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Well looking at it, our season could depend on the semi final. I think we will finish 6th at worst, but if Everton beat the bindippers they would take the spot. Our best chance is Chelsea putting everything into winning the FA Cup and progressing in the CL.

If they slip up, then we can take them. Would love a win on Sunday, hope Enrique get ripped a new one off HBA and then we rip the p*** out of him for the way he spoke about us. He wants to spend more time learning how to kick with his right foot the tosser.

Can’t believe we will have to route for the bindippers against Everton, a decent club with a decent manager. Bah.

• 63 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Sorry Vask that was me – I was having a pop at American humour rather than you.

• 64 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Don’t listen to him Vask. It was a personal attack if ever i’ve seen one.

This isn’t me being petty for being blamed at all :)

• 65 toonincheek // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM

What would I give for a win?

‘Pool seem to be able to raise their game for a big game.

And I think that’s what they will do at the weekend.
    A real tough game.

Wishing and Hoping . . . .
    Not expecting.

• 66 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Next time I’ll keep quiet and let Ibiza take the blame ;)

• 67 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM

toonincheek – I think Pardew will try and outfox them by changing tactics as they will expect us to play like we did against WBA – just hope it does not backfire. Of course I maybe getting carried away – Pardew tends to stick with a winning formula.

• 68 Munster Mag // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Out of interest as a social concept . Why do we not call Everton “bindippers” aswell ? I quite like them now, after they beat Sunderland, but if we’re being fair….they’re all from Liverpool after all….?? :)

• 69 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Martoon….Pardew the tactically inept manager outfox King Kenny? Cannot wait mate :)

• 70 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Muster…Because we don’t dislike them as much :)

• 71 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Bin-Dipper adjacent perhaps?

• 72 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Munster*

• 73 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Munster Mag @68 – I thought it was from the football song “In their Liverpool slums……………..” etc. Note Liverpool not Everton.

• 74 Tsunki // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I like toffee and my favourite colour is blue so that could explain something. However, unlike Mr he will rise’s mate I am not keen on fudge or the colour brown.

• 75 out of toon // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM

just saw this on soccernet:

It is not clear exactly what reception Carroll will receive from the Newcastle faithful and he will be nervous when he trots out ahead of the game.

“I don’t usually get nervous but this might be a bit different,” Carroll said. “All of my family and friends will be there. I’m not sure who they will be supporting”

I’M NOT SURE HE’LL START!

awaiting a mass of hilarious responses!!!!

• 76 geordiejamie89 // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Come on Newcastle, this is achievable. Hopefully AP has everything worked out, but I’d like to see 4-3-3 again. It won’t do us any favours defending for long periods of the game. So with our four at the back, and Tiote in front of them, Cabaye and Gutierrez can rush forward with HBA Cisse and Ba all ahead of them. I think we should attack for 90 minutes and beat them by the biggest margain this season. We havn’t really hammered too many teams this season, so this one for the home fans couldn’t be better.
    Cisse HBA and Ba all to get a hattrick!

• 77 bob // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Lets hope dozy williamson and simpson get their act together these two numptys are a liability!

• 78 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM

GeordieJamie…I’d like a 4-3-3. You’re right, defence stay and defend (inc. Tiote), everyone else attack them like there’s no tomorrow. Should be a good game

• 79 eric // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM

As soon as a bit of pace runs at williamson the planks bottle goes completely i don’t think the guys wired up right!

• 80 pardew no 1 // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM

liverpool lost 5 out of 6 so they will have no confidence coz wigan won them and we should have tiote back so i think we will win and plus we will take the piss out of them coz of carroll

• 81 eric // Mar 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Liverpool have already won a cup something NUFC have’nt managed for many years and are still in the hunt for the FA cup and they are supposed to be having a shit season they must have higher standards than us!

• 82 ToonDownSouth // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Surprised to see some people back after the last game. Seeing as we were dreadful and everything.

If we win we’ve pretty much got 6th in the bag, barring a terrible end of season slip up.

• 83 ToonDownSouth // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM

And of course they have higher aims than us. They spent £100m, and we were in the Championship 2 seasons ago. *face palm*

• 84 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

TDS…Don’t try and apply reason to that comment. Absolute fool

• 85 ToonDownSouth // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Ibiza

I’m very very confused as to who he actually supports. He said that Newcastle are the biggest club in the North East, so clearly not one of the scum down the road.

Meh. It’s a slow day, so I’m easily drawn in.

• 86 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

TDS….I don’t think we’ll ever know and tbh, I couldn’t care less what the tw@ thinks about anything. Definitely a slow one….many people just waiting for Sunday I guess. You feeling confident?

• 87 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

sunderland got destroyed yesterday mind, MoN rested player for winable prem games also looks like a bit of a plum now after that drubbing.

• 88 ToonDownSouth // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Worryingly no. At half time against West Brom I was thinking ‘we’re going to absolutely destroy Liverpool.’

Colo’s injury changes that though. I’m not sure there’s another team in the league so incredibly reliant on one player. I’ll just sleep safer knowing he’s here for 4 (?) more years.

• 89 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM

TDS we could always go for Vaughn from suderland if he left, recon he could do a job a centre back mind

• 90 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

TDS…I know what you mean. Was gutted when he didn’t come back on. If only we’d thought about another CB in January ay?

I’m pretty sure we’re going to concede on Sunday, only hope is to get some goals ourselves, which we certainly have the ability to do. I think sitting back and inviting them on us would be a huge mistake. I suppose we’ll find out soon enough

• 91 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Yohan…good one mate

• 92 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

even after the great first half performace on sunday Liverpool will be a tough game, we did look slower in the second half so if kenny had a brain he would keep it tight for the first 20-30 mins, so hes probly gonna go hell for leather then :)

• 93 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

would love to see more of the same, would take so much pressure out of a lot of games if we could produce that level of threat week in week out

• 94 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

If our front line played like they did in that first 45 against WBA, we can get goals against anyone. Would be nice for it to last both half’s though!

Liverpool game is so hard to predict. 2 teams which are both capable of great and terrible performances (as i write that I do realize it applies to all teams really), should be an exciting one. I just hope we give them a go, that’s all we can really ask of the lads

• 95 Vask // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Hey ibiza apologies for the false blame. The sun must’ve been in my eyes or something.

I definitely think we can edge this game like, there is no reason to think that we won’t turn up, all the variables are in our favour. You’ve got the french boys trying to get in to the euros squad. Perchie will be giving his all to cement his rebirth as a toonhero. Williamson will be concentrating on ironing out his mistakes, at least I hope so. Then you’ve got our dembas who just love to score getting supplied by Arfa who will be on fire and confident after his recent form. It just feels like we can win it. The only thing that worries me is our former players, it’s just that sickening feeling I get when we face our old heroes, it can go either way, they’ll either not turn up or turn up twice and have a blinder.

• 96 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Vask…No worries mate.

It’s definitely doable. Williamson is capable of a good performance, I mean we have seen them in the past. Liverpool will be hurting and will want to win, however, we are in form and want to win. As I’ve said previously (quite a lot actually), should be one hell of a game :)

• 97 geordiejamie89 // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hopefully Carroll will refuse to play. Then hand in a transfer request and come back to Newcastle for 5mill.

• 98 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

GeordieJamie….I think Carroll playing would be great for us. Would rather him than Suarez or Bellamy. As for £5m to buy him back, not for me. I’m happy with our Senegalese boys :)

• 99 bob // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

So let me get this straight the mighty NUFC have not won anything for almost half a century yet Liverpool a team supposedly in decline win cups when they feel like it. Newcastle must be full of idiots or loons to tolerate this type of abuse and they pay good money to have their intelligence insulted time and again. Its got to be the usual Liverpool stuffing on sunday!

• 100 9 // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Liverpool’s recent form is absolute pants, so the victory shouldn’t be too hard to achieve. The only problem is the centre half situation, could be troublesome if they decide to play a big centre forward against us.

• 101 hallelujah..john tudor john tudor // Mar 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

enjoy the game last night bob?

• 102 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

9 – i think we be ok against a big lad its colo’s readying of the game and orginisation we will miss.

• 103 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM

john tudor, thats not very nice mate course he didnt they got destroyed, although tactical masterstroke bringing that vaughn on mind if Ronaldonihohad of tried to do that 100 times he would have failed every time.

• 104 geordiejamie89 // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

bob you are a nob. Leeds were mint once, it only lasts so long. If Liverpool are so mint and can win cups whenever they want, why don’t they get themselves into the Champions league and show it? Because they’re dog toss and are in the position in the table they deserve. Short of Gerrard the rest of the squad aren’t table toppers. They’re all hype like Suarez.

• 105 hallelujah..john tudor john tudor // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

goal of the season for me yohan, what a great night

• 106 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM

just goes to show the inteligence level of Billy bob square pants, coming on here the day after they get smashed by a decent Everton side and try to wind us up HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA knacker

• 107 hallelujah..john tudor john tudor // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

10 mins to go and the ground was empty, did you leave early bob?

• 108 Rotonda heights // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM

if only we could have hung on at arsenal. just one point could be so vital.

• 109 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM

what would you guys prefer europa or champions league? not counting chickens before they hatch just curious

• 110 Wor Shearer // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

@Yohan4

What do you think?

• 111 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Shearer – as much as id like to be in champ league i think europa would be more benifit to us, the way Mike A runs the club would mean he wouldnt over expand the squad and dont think we would use the youth in the champions league and would probly damage our league progress, where as europa would be good for some of the youth and would also help us attract top youth which is the plan at the moment.

• 112 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

how about you Shearer?

• 113 ToonDownSouth // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Yohan & Shearer

We’re not going to do particularly well in either competition.

We’d be unseeded in the CL, and hence we’d draw one of the giants.

The Europa League, we’d probably get through the group – having to travel to Russia, the middle east etc every week – then get knocked out by one of the CL drop-outs.

So to be honest I’d much much much rather get CL.

The money is non existent from the Europa League as well.

You could get lucky with the EL I guess – teams like Roma, Inter, Bilbao, Sevilla, etc may well be in it.

• 114 MagpiesFlyHigh // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I think we need to build up the squad over a couple of seasons to CL level, without threatening EPL performances. Its the Europa for me. The kudos of European competition will help retain and recruit players of the standard we want to see at SJP

• 115 davybtoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I don’t buy this we won’t do well in Europe, yea champions league we probably wud struggle, but not Europa league

• 116 MagpiesFlyHigh // Mar 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Apart from that ten minute spell in the second half where we strung 30+ passes together we were pretty poor at Anfield. It won’t have escaped anybody in either club that this is a six pointer for the bin dippers, though a draw would be okay for us. I hope AP doesn’t play it safe and leave us open to Suarez winning a pen or Willo grabbing a shirt to give them the 3 pts. Our front three will torment their back line no doubt.

• 117 Yohan4 // Mar 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I just think if we did give a lot of the youth some game time in the europa it would be a good selling point to top younsters out there. they could go to clubs in champions league or come to us and play on a big stage right away (well channel 5), could sway a few of them

• 118 GHOSD (The poster formerly known as Ruddy Marveaux-lous) // Mar 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Remembering our IN duties do not reply to the Mackem cretins, it will only sustain their hardons, as limp and as puny they may be!

Heed my warnings :P

And by the way, what a fantastic day :) Come on the Toon! :D

• 119 Pardew's fist pump // Mar 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Milan v Barca – Messi has lost the ball 4 times already this half, shocking player.

• 120 GHOSD (The poster formerly known as Ruddy Marveaux-lous) // Mar 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I can sense a huge tone of irony in that statement, almost baiting someone to say “just because he loses the ball does not make him a bad player” so that you can refute “well people were saying HBA deserved to be on the bench because he lost the ball” thus affording you the chance to re-start the HBA debate.

Perhaps I read too much into that statement but if I am somewhere near the mark then my message to you would be this. Just enjoy things man, be happy :D

• 121 Pardew's fist pump // Mar 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Rumbled by Ruddy :(

• 122 GHOSD (The poster formerly known as Ruddy Marveaux-lous) // Mar 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Don’t misread my intentions Pardew’s fist pump, I didn’t want to “rumble” you, merely trying to keep things positive. We can all agree that there are two sides to the HBA debate and both have merits, but what we are all loving is that HBA is playing well in the here and now and long may that continue :D

• 123 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I don’t advocate violence of any kind but I don’t think I’d ever tire of punching Adrian Chiles in the face.

• 124 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

JFA – I know what you mean about Adrian Chiles. Anybody got a team suggestion for Sunday?

• 125 Toon Tang // Mar 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

it’d be like repeatedly punching a potato

• 126 GHOSD (The poster formerly known as Ruddy Marveaux-lous) // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Krul

Simmo———–Santon———-Willo————-Perch

Tiote

Guthrie———————Cabaye

HBA Ba

Cisse

• 127 GHOSD (The poster formerly known as Ruddy Marveaux-lous) // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM

——————————Krul——————————

Simmo———–Santon———-Willo————-Perch

——————————Tiote—————————–

——————Guthrie————Cabaye—————–

HBA—————————————————– Ba

—————————–Cisse——————————

This may be a re-post but I have never been able to post formations properly so I just trying it out haha

• 128 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I would much prefer champs league over europa league….reality is we probably wont win either so would rather get to group stages and play barca/madrid/inter/milan/valencia etc than be playing 2nd rate euro teams.

Also the money and the ability to attract players in the champs league is much greater.

• 129 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

@ghosd

much prefer to see

———————–krul————————
    simmo——-willo———-perch——santon
    ———————tiote————————–
    ————cabaye———–jonas————–
    HBA—————Cisse———————Ba

• 130 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Martoon,
    Has to be the same formation as Sunday with Santon in at LB,Perch and Willo CB,and Tiote back in his normal slot with Cabaye.

• 131 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Is it just me of do you think the unwahsed will not do anything under o’neil…..he only really likes to sign british players (or failing that british based) and they tend to cost a fortune.

No way will sunderland stump up the monye Villa did for players. And also since they had Ellis Short take over from the consortium they have spent only the money they have got from player sales…so maybe he doesn’t have as much money to throw around as they say

• 132 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

@jail…..yeh exactly the same but tiote for guthrie with perch cb and santon lb

• 133 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

————————–Krul———————-
    ——-Simmo – Perch – Willo – Santon——
    ———–Cabaye – Tiote – Abeid————
    —————-HBA – Cisse – Ba—————

I put Abeid in there, cause i think Guthrie doesn’t have his head in the right place atm. Could also place Gosling there tbh, but i just wanna see Abeid in action.

• 134 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM

@dannyo…with players like abeid, vukic etc…..i would like to see them get some game time of the bench and definitely play in front of guthrie if he wont be signing a new deal….

but if they pardew has decided they wont get a game do you think it is worth maybe sticking them on a gym program for 2 months to build strength, power, endurance, etc…..like they do in other sports with younger players?

they wont miss much having a month or so off from reserve games

• 135 GHOSD (The poster formerly known as Ruddy Marveaux-lous) // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I fancy trying Santon at CB due to his height. Maybe Perch would be better because he has better discipline for CB but against Norwich he was pretty shocking, I know we were on a hiding to nothing in that game but still. However, I do think Pards will play him there. I also get the sneaky feeling that Raylor will be playing LB too…

• 136 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Danyo
    No Guti,Controversial.

• 137 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

@ghosd

get what you mean with height but santon lacks discipline

Perch looked poor at norwich as he was with simmo and neither are natural cb’s

nd least willo knows the position and can help keep him right

• 138 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM

@rich
    Ofc that is a possibility, but the way i see it is that we have tired legs in the squad, a few players act and play jaded.
    And to be very honest i’, tired as hell seeing them in the team weak after weak having performances jumping up and down and not even being subbed.
    I’m looking at u Jonas and Simmo.

I’m very black and white in every day life, u either do or don’t and i don’t have many shades. Fergy would do better at LW, yes, i’m going that far.

I just wanna see some fresh young legs mate, it’ll help us more than hurt us, cause it’ll add some much needed hunger and passion to the team at this point, and we need that to keep our game up.

• 139 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

rich_toonfan @129 I think your team is correct but if Raylor is fit he may get the nod over Santon.

• 140 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

@Jail
    See post 138 ;)
    It’s not the controversial to me :P

• 141 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Dannyo @138 Jonas has been immense the last two games and opinions are obviously divided on Simmo.

• 142 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

@GOHSD
    If u play Santon at CB i think he’d run away and never come back, leaving Willo to stop pacey players.
    Scary thought imo.

• 143 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM

@Martoon
    I thought Gutti had a fairly quiet game against WBA, some ok moments.
    Pardew is right when saying that we need to ask different questions, but i’d do it by fielding other players.
    But that’s me.
    Against Norwich, fair play, he did good at LB. But ever since Marveux got injured, he’s been more average than not.

• 144 Offkey // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thank god………I more or less agree with most things you say Dannyo but I have to disagree here. Jonas always makes my team.

• 145 martoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Dannyo – I’m prepared to put my mortgage on the fact that there is no way that Pardew will drop Jonas in fact he will probably be captain.

• 146 MagPieMan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Rich-ToonFan @ 129

That’s the formation and team I want and think Pardew will play. As we saw earlier in the season, Pardew has the “don’t try and fix it if it isn’t broken” attitude, and with the team playing so well last week and being at home this week, I don’t see why he would want to change it.

• 147 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

@dannyo….

against norwich jonas played a weird role….it was like a free role but defensive mid….he picked up loose players at either full back slot or in front of our bak 4…i liked it, allowed the others to get forward.

And no doubt it would help the youngsters to get some game time…i just mean if we aren’t going to give them a game do you think we should work on strength and fitness or a few (almost non-competitive) reserve games.

Would love to see collo’s name on the team sheet on sunday and pardew just to come out and say he was playing some mind games.

• 148 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM

@martoon
    Lol, i’m the same as u mate, doesn’t mean i want it to be like that week out week in. But ye, Jonas is in the team cause he always works, no matter what. Good or bad game, he’s always running, and Pardew loves that. So he rewards hard work.

@Offkey
    That’s ok mate, he’d make allot of peoples team, and i have nothing against Jonas, i just think he could do with a rest and someone else could do with a chance.

• 149 WWJBD // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Really dropping Jonas from a game which is possibly our biggest of the season? Thats a no go for me

• 150 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Danyo,
    I’d have had HBA in for Jonas awhile back Hoots wasn’t afraid to drop him he needs a kick in the backside every now and then.

• 151 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

@dannyo…regarding fergy as coming in on the left

with playing 3 in the centre of midfield then a front 3 of ba, cisse and benny…i cant see where he would get in…other than LB

• 152 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

@rich
    Haha, Pardew isn’t the one for mindgames if u ask me, but hell ye, i’d take a Collo mindbender any day, lol :P

I dunno, i don’t know what physical form the lads are in.
    Vuckic is a big lad already, he just needs the experience. Abeid isn’t as big, and could probably do with some weightlifting, especially if u play a DM role, u have to be imposing.
    Fergy has built himself for a long time, but he’s the sort who has supernatural metabolism, so it’s gonna take time for him to buff up.

But ye, using the time to build physique is a good thing for the PL.

• 153 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

@WWJBD
    I actually forgot to put him in, lol, i’d have him there for Sunday, but don’t tell anyone. In games against such as Bolton, Wigan, those, i’d rest his legs.

• 154 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

@dannyo

I play and watch a lot of cricket and you see players often rested for a 2 month series where they do strength and conditioning and it works as england are now number 1 ranked in the world.

I know this can’t be done in football as the season is longer and people wont accept a top player being out for 2 months for gym work. But maybe it is worth doing while they are young and not getting in the side.

• 155 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

@rich 151
    Ye, Fergy could do LB, then i’d shift Santon to RB and give Simmo a rest.
    Otherwise i think Fergy can do a job at LM, he’d give us width if needed aswell.

• 156 rich_toonfan // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

For now i think fergy is a good sub to bring on when opposition are tired…he can come on the left side of the front 3 for Ba later in games and can attack and defend so win/win

• 157 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

@Jail
    Ye, that’s exactly what i mean. Players who think they’re automatically in the squad week in, week out need a kick up the backside just to remind them that they’re not the only ones here.
    I think Jonas is a humble and kind man, but it’s about psychologi imo. U just tend to rest if u don’t get that regular reminder.

• 158 WWJBD // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Dannyo
    Haha ah thank goodness for that ;) though even for the ‘lesser’ games (normally the ones we will struggle in) Id have Jonas in there starting, take him out 2nd half for Fergie/Guthrie/Vuckic depending on line up but he’d without doubt be starting in my teams

That might change when Marv gets fit again but even then he would have a big fight on his hands to de-throne our Spidey

• 159 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM

@WWJBD
    Hehe, well, i just don’t fancy having players who would be in a lineup week in week out. Imo, it makes them complacent.
    It’s ok that people get comfortable, but never too comfortable.
    If your form drops, there should be others who can come on instead.
    Allot of players are important, but none are irreplacable. That’s the cold hard fact.

• 160 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Mark Douglas ? @MsiDouglas
    PLUS:’He’s not happy.But if #nufc let him go they’re making a huge mistake.’The agent of which Toon player said that?Revealed in #thejournal

Who could this be….? Smith? Loven?

• 161 Offkey // Mar 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Ranger?

• 162 Dannyo // Mar 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Ooohh, Ranger is a good guess.

• 163 WWJBD // Mar 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Dannyo
    Right now Id say Colo is irreplacable :)
    I agree that Jonas is too comfortable right now and when Marv was about he played out of his skin week in week out much like Simmo did when Santon was on the bench but at the (hate sounding like sky but) business end of the season I wouldnt be dropping one of our biggest players from the starting 11

Reckon Douglas is on about Guthrie

• 164 WWJBD // Mar 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Ah nuts I forgot about the gangsta yeah fair one I reckon ur right with that one Offkey

• 165 Offkey // Mar 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Well I hope it’s Ranger anyway :)

On Jonas, I have on countless occasions heard managers and pundits ‘wax lyrical’ about his performances. The man has some clear areas which need improving but these improvements seem unlikely at this stage in his career.

However, his work rate indicates to me that he is neither complacent or comfortable, but I have noticed him looking knackered. Maybe a rest would do him good, but like WWJBD says, just not against Liverpool with the amount of games we have left.

• 166 davybtoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Dannyo reckon its Guthrie

• 167 MagpiesFlyHigh // Mar 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Does Messi get complacent because he’s automatic on the team sheet ?

A professional footballer who is in the starting eleven on £k a week should have a professional enough attitude to keep trying imo.

• 168 davybtoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM

If ppl are fit u can b certain it will b this

Simpson willo perch rtaylor
    Cabaye tiote jonas
    Hba cisse ba

• 169 9 // Mar 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Dannyo and anybody else thinking of dropping Jonas..???

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/ Are you mad?

Nobody, NOBODY gives more to NUFC on the pitch, week in, week out.

• 170 9 // Mar 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM

To Dannyo and others agreeing with his view on Jonas…………………….I don’t wish to be rude, but, honestly, nobody, but NOBODY gives more to nufc on the pitch, week in, week out than Jonas. End of.

• 171 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM

@9
    Putting ‘ End of ‘ at the end of a post appears to be a bit of a coversation killer.

• 172 MagPieMan // Mar 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM

3 parts, English subtitles.

• 173 MagPieMan // Mar 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Oops, only meant two parts.

• 174 mattnufc // Mar 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM

“This is a massive game for Newcastle, because a win will basically submarine Liverpool’s chances of catching Newcastle in the league”
    Am I wrong or does it not matter if Liverpool overtake us as they are already in the Europa league?

• 175 Ldntoon // Mar 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM

When are Newcastle playing at Stamford Bridge? the game has gone from the bbc fixture list and we definitely have only played them once?

• 176 davis_toons // Mar 29, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Better quality versatile players – Alan Hutton, Richardson, Rafael, Fabio, Assou-Ekotto, k.walker, etc

Simo looks somthing like Wes Brown at RB.

• 177 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Mar 29, 2012 at 4:35 AM

@175:
    The Chelsea fixture was moved because of their F.A. Cup committments! A fresh date as far as i know has,nt been arranged yet!

A lot of the game on sunday is going to depend on the match official ! If we get someone who is easily conned by diving in the box, ” a la Suarez “! Then they will win hands down on Penalties alone ! But Win or lose i hope that we have a damn good go at beating them!

Promises to be a cracking game, is also sold out, my bet is on a 1-1 draw but three points would be nice!

previous post: Kenny Dalglish A Disaster As Newcastle Manager