The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We’re Now Seeing The Real Ben Arfa – His Confidence Is Back

10:45 am, Saturday, March 31st, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

Danny Simpson thinks that Ben Arfa has had an up and down season, but  he’s now getting back to full match fitness again, after his terrible broken leg, and it shows.

The great Ben Arfa – in action last Sunday

Danny plays behind Ben Arfa, and he’s played with some great wingers at Manchester United, and he knows class when he sees it. So do Newcastle fans.

This is what Simpson told the local press today:

“I know what he’s like with the ball at his feet so I will be trying to give it to him as much as I can.”

“We see it in training every day. At West Brom it all clicked with our front six. The diamond system worked with Yohan, Jonas and of course Hatem and the front lads.”

“They were all on the same page and West Brom couldn’t live with them. They will be dangerous against any defence in the league.” “As long as we’re solid at the back we’ll have players who can score goals.”

“I just encourage Ben Arfa to take players on – I’ll shout that from behind.” “Any full-back in the land doesn’t want him running at them.”  “He can go left or right so he’s a problem for full-backs.”

“We must keep him focused – he’s a great player.” “Hatem is playing in front of me and I will help him all I can.” “He’s had an up and down season.” “But now he’s really over his injury.”

“It’s hard to get over that sometimes and now we’re seeing the real Ben Arfa.” “His confidence is back, and if you give him the ball you know what he can do.”

Hatem  Ben Arfa was a sight to behold in that first half last Sunday,  and the front three of Ben Arfa, Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse certainly clicked big time.

When the Frenchman is on the ball he looks just terrific, and just before he scored that goal with his left foot, when he shimmied back and forth before hitting the ball wide of Fosters right hand, I nearly fell off my seat.

So he had me going the wrong way, and if there were any doubts that he’s just as good as he was before he broke his left leg, most of those fears have been dimmed this year with his excellent form,  and he’s scored 5 great goals this season - so far.

But only one of them was at home, even though it was probably the best individual goal, against Blackburn, ever seen at St. James’ Park in its over 120 year history.

Ben Araf said after the West Brom game that he will be trying to score tomorrow against Liverpool.

Good.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Danny Simpson · Demba Ba · Hatem Ben Arfa · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tom4Nufc // Mar 31, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Benny is a genius- keep him on the ball and watch holes in opposition defences open up infront of him!

Tomorrow will be a hard game- I’d be happy with anything but a loss given the importance of it! What do people reckon the score will be?

• 2 magpie6699 // Mar 31, 2012 at 10:54 AM

It’s good to see him showing what an asset he can be rather than a dangerous luxury. But he will find it tougher against “the Bull” tomorrow as Enrique is very good at using pace and body strength to prevent tricky / fast players get away from him.

• 3 magpie6699 // Mar 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM

PS – I’ve just checked my NUFC calendar which will change tomorrow (1st of April). People laugh at me but just like “Hello” magazine, I think the calendar curses people who are featured – whoever is on any month will be injured / suspended / away / sold. This month is Colo – need I say more. Tomorrow it changes to Demba Ba – hope his injury is not too significant!

• 4 Cool Hand Luke // Mar 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM

magpie6699 thats why id like him to get a free role in a front 3, so anyone assigned to shadow him will be dragged all over the pitch and out of formation

• 5 check the toastie // Mar 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Wud personally play Ben Arfa down our left 2moro, he will torture young flanaghan, pardew will impress me if he makes this decision. Put Jonas down the right with Tiote playing RCM protecting willo and simpson from racist goofy;s little runs. Liverpool have no great threat down their right hand side anyways.

• 6 kilcline // Mar 31, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Ben arfa is our one player who can win a game on his own just like City have Agureo, Arsenal have Van persie, Man U have Rooney and Liverpool have Gerrard.

So pleased he has come good and is starting now, he will stay here next season now and he will torment teams. Our spine of Krul, Saylor, Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye, Cisse and Ba is top 4 material, just need the other places filled in with young quality hungry players like Santon :)

• 7 ck1978 // Mar 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I’ve been saying for months now that what we needed was to see Ba, Cissé and Ben Arfa playing up front in a diamond formation and then we finally got to see what they could do against West Brom. I hope Pardew goes with the same attacking game against the bin dippers as I’m not overly confident with King Colo being out even if Liverpool are sh#te at the moment, so the only option is to go back to the old days of the entertainers tomorrow and play the “we’ll score more then you game” . Come on Benny lad, tear the scruffy gets a new one!!!

previous post: Good Words By Alan Pardew On Our Friends Andy And Jose