Alan Pardew Has Performed Wonders On Tyneside

Since Alan Pardew arrived at Newcastle in early December of 2010,  he has slowly but surely got the Geordie fans on his side.

Alan Pardew – has performed wonders on Tyneside

It’s not a mystery that  fans didn’t want   Pardew as the Newcastle manager, when he was the surprise choice to replace that real gentleman of football – Chris Hughton.

Chris had become a big favorite on Tyneside,  after magically getting Newcastle promoted from the Championship with 102 points and 30 wins, and he got Newcastle back where they belong – and back into the Premier League at the first  attempt.

For that reason alone,  Chris will remain in the annals of Newcastle United’s famous history.

And Chris got Newcastle off to a decent start in the Premier League  last season, so when Alan came in it’s hardly surprising that fans were furious.

But it was Pardew’s first press conference, when he was completely on his lonesome, and no Derek LLambias to be seen, that the Wimbledon-born Londoner talked a lot of sense.

Alan said he couldn’t do anything about the Chris Hughton sacking, and that he had already called Chris and talked to him on the phone.

And Pardew seemed to win over the Newcastle players almost immediately,  he mentioned he had seen some defensive things he wanted to fix, and then led Newcastle out to a 3-1 win against Liverpool at St. James’ Park.

It was a good start by Alan, who has come across as a straight shooter at Newcastle, and he had already showed a lot of courage in the first three days of his tenure at Newcastle.

But then of course in January of last year, after telling everybody who would listen,  that Andy Carroll was going nowhere, the Gateshead-born striker  was famously sold on the last day of the transfer window to Liverpool.

John Anderson, the former Irish international knows about Newcastle, and the defender played for us from 1982 through 1992, and he had this to say about the Carroll affair in The Independent today:

“At the time there was uproar,””Now when you meet the fans they tell you it was too good an offer to turn down.”

“Tactically, Pardew is very astute, he knows a lot about the opposition every time we play,” “People thought he was a yes-man,”

“But this season has been beyond everyone’s wildest dreams.”

And with the help of key people in the Newcastle camp, like Graham Carr the Chief Scout, Alan oversaw what turned out to be a great transfer window for Newcastle last summer.

And in addition to players like Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba and Davide Santon arriving, Newcastle picked up Papiss Cisse in January for £9M from German club  SC Freiburg.

The Newcastle team has over-achieved this season,  in the same way that Liverpool have under-achieved,  after the famous Merseyside club spent around  £116M, since Kenny Dalglish arrived at the club a short 15 months ago, just after Alan arrived at Newcastle.

Newcastle have spent less that a quarter of that transfer sum on their players and are 8 points clear of Liverpool in the league.

And if  the lads can get a win today against The Reds, it will be a fitting result for a man who has performed wonders on Tyneside, and long may it continue.

Comments welcome.

• tomellifred360

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Would LOVE 3 points today!

• tomellifred360

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Unsure whether this is a good time or a bad time to be playing Liverpool?

• Indian Magpie

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Playing liverpool today, is like being in a quiz where even if you get the question wrong you get the same amount of money that you already have. bonus time.

• Vask

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Reading between the lines we’re getting Joe Kinnear back.

• Vask

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I’m still confident we can turn them over today. It’s going to be a good ‘un.

• tomellifred360

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM

#3. A very deep and meaningful comment from you so early on a Sunday. Meaning?

• Indian Magpie

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Not early in india,

The ulterior meaning is that we should really go for the jugular, if we loose we are still 5 points ahead and if we win LFC will have a neck sprain looking up 2 NUFC

• Wor Shearer

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Can’t wait to see Enrique Vs (embarrassed by) Ben Arfa.

I think the boys will pumped for this one!

• steve

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Quote of the week… “If Carragher plays he will, much as it pains me to say, get ridden by Ba and Cisse”

Another gem from the scousers… “I would be even wary of Mike Ashley coming up against Carra.”

Seriously looking forward to today i’m predicting a 4-1 win 😀

• cornishman

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Good times indeed. If we could win today…well who knows but europe would really be on. Jeez i,m nervous already. Come on the Toon

• Tsunki

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Wow all that anti-Carra venom, how can such a loyal servant be rounded on like that oh wait…..

reading between the lines Carragher will play and have a blinder, Caroll & Jose will be warmly applauded.

Hope the weather stays like this can’t wait for today, roll on 12.30 when I set off up the road. COME ON!!!!!

HWTL!!!!!

• Gateshead-Mag

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM

peace and love my fellow geordinians lets eat these little scouse round thing kickers like a bowl full of brown ale on a summers eve!!!!!!

• magpie6699

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I’m fwighened!

• elpaso_geordie

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

off subject but anyone else notice the boos for Kevin Nolan at West Ham v Reading on Footballl League Show last night , fair enough they were 3 1 down at the time …. gotta say i quite enjoyed it

• ilovetoon8788

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM

i don’t think we can shut out liverpool. Perch and Willo on current form is hopeless. Perch is an excellent DM but not a centre back.

But our attack is brilliant with Arfa hitting some brilliant form.

4-3 to the toon!!!

• jamesnufc86

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Fully charged for the game today , got ticket and payed £80 for a room in the swallow hotel , those of you from Gateshead , the hotel is disgusting it basicly has sex splattered all over the walls , yuk , mon then Ba time to Get a goal 3-1 toon Ba “17 Hatem “41 Cisse “78 Carroll “54

• ilovetoon8788

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

They have a hopeless Carragher at the moment and we have our own disaster in Williamson. 1 thing is guaranteed.

This match sure has definitely goals in it. Lets just hope we score more. i won’t be surprise if it ends up 5-4 in our favor.

• bills-son

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I predicted a 3.0 win at WBA with 2 for Cisse – nearly right – this my prediction for today.

4.1 to us.

I think the lads will be absolutely flying after that first half performance last week. Ba, Cisse and HBA are going to be a massive handful for any defense and if we score early it could be a rout.

One thing is for certain. There will be no fear whatsoever in the team about playing LPool. The lads will be really, really, up for this one. And so will the crowd.

I can’t wait to give the bindippers a football lesson.

HWTL !!

• ilovetoon8788

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

“If I scored on Sunday then I wouldn’t celebrate,” he told The Chronicle. “I hope I get a good reception from the fans, they’ll be getting one from me.

“I thought I did well for the club when I was there and loved it. I have some great memories from playing there.

“I have always had a good relationship with the Newcastle fans and it stems back to playing for them.”
    ————

This is what Carroll said. I have this funny feeling he’s going to score against us today. We always have this problem of former players scoring against us.

• bills-son

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I see Andy Carrol is 6/1 to score today.

For those of you who don’t understand betting odds that means if you bet £100 you lose £100.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Whatever happens after today’s game we can’t forget that Ed – Pardew HAS performed wonders at Newcastle.

As always I am hoping for a win but if we lose nothing can be taken away from the magnificent achievement by Pardew and co to have us so high in the league all season.

Come on Newcastle we can win this!! If we do we’ll be 11 points clear!! I know I want to pinch myself too 😛

• cupiddstunt

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Indian Magpie @ # 3 and 7

Best two posts I have ever read from you especially @ 7 very sharp marra very sharp.

• cupiddstunt

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM

bills-son @ # 20

The way I see it is you do not understand betting odds.

To me for every £6 you put on you get one pound back, so to me you get your bet plus one sixth, so to keep it simple you put on sixty pounds you get your sixty plus a tenner.

Although I might be wrong I don’t think I am.