The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Perch Our Man Of The Match – Let’s Hear It For James

9:00 am, Monday, April 2nd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

We said before the game that the result would depend on how Mike Williamson and James Perch played at the back against Liverpool yesterday.

James Perch stupidly head butted by Reina yesterday

And both lads played great, and James Perch showed what a gutsy and good player he is, and he was simply magnificent yesterday, even in the way he kept himself out of trouble,  after he was head-butted by a very frustrated Pepe Reina.

That incident lacked complete class from the Spanish goalkeeper, and was indicative of how frustrated Liverpool had become,  as they were contained by a strong Newcastle side..

And it was also a sign that Newcastle had outplayed Liverpool in the second half, and the Merseyside team have now lost six of their last seven league games, and Pepe will miss the FA Cup semi-final against Everton at Wembley.

The two center-backs were tremendous for Newcastle yesterday, and they illustrated the fighting spirit we see from all the Newcastle players these days,  and there were some good performances all over the field for the Magpies.

But James doesn’t always get the headlines he deserves, so let’s hear it for James today.

Here are the poll results and there’s still time to vote – but nobody is going to catch James Perch on 54% of the vote, with Ben Arfa, Papiss Cisse, Cheick  Tiote and Mike Williamson behind him in that order.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Liverpool?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: James Perch · Newcastle News · Poll

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Phhh…Championship player at best ;)

• 2 Indian Magpie // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:03 AM

It would be advisable for us if we signed Pieters b4 the euros. any1 agrees

• 3 ~Perchinho the Pheonix~ // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM

@Indian.

Aye. If he does well in the euro’s his price will rocket up.

Come on Perch, get a hatrick!, 2 MoTM in a row now.

• 4 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Indian. I would say so.

I get the feeling Pardew and Co will be moving early for their targets. I just wonder whether selling teams and players in the Euros are going to want to delay and transfers. It’ll be really early or late dealings for us I feel. Another summer of twists and turns no doubt

• 5 ~Perchinho the Pheonix~ // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Ji Sung Park ? @RealParkJiSung Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Liverpool Football Club have appealed Pepe Reina’s red card, saying: “In Spain, the act of headbutting someone is a sign of friendship…”

• 6 davybtoon // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Perch been my mom for the last 3 games he’s been simply brilliant Norwich he played dm, WBA first half at lb n 2nd half cb n yesterday cb
    Perch is showing why u shud not ryt any player off as rubbish players need time to adjust to a new league n a good manager who believes in you helps
    This is perch, Guthrie, Williamson n simpson n best have proved there all great players after being slagged off as rubbish, n it’s why gosling n obertan shouldn’t b judged as they will come good to

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I thought Willo got Motm.

• 8 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM

So we have a Friday game this week and a chance to go ahead of Chelsea, if only for a day. They have Wigan at stamford bridge, which I’d expect them to win. If we move above them though, the pressure could pile and I might half fancy Wigan to grind out a draw…well i’ll be hoping anyway :)

• 9 alip123 // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Poor Cisse – scored 2 in each of the last 2 matches and will be wondering on how he gets a man of the match award
    Full credit to all the players this season so far, but cannot afford to slip up against Swansea or Bolton

HWTL

• 10 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Jail…tbh, I gave him my MOTM. Great performance. A tad shaky at the beginning, but overall no major complaints. Maybe Willo and Perch will keep Colo out for the rest of the season. ;)

• 11 geoff777 // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Transfer window opens July 1st – so after the European Championships.

It’s kind of open after the last game in England but not in Europe.

• 12 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Alip…You’re right. These next 2 games are as important as the Liverpool game. We need to be strong every game to seriously push on. Can’t underestimate anyone or think we’re cruising. It’s going to be an exciting end to the season

• 13 Tsunki // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Ibiza @ 1 – yes where are all the ultimate collective holes who used to say the ‘at best’ thing, sometimes on an HOURLY basis, now? I think this displays they were Conference Fan Quality at best, :)

As usual on such math days I go missing from the blog but I wake this morning looking forward to a good summer, not even that worried now about citeh or even chelsea, we have surpassed our goals, who wouldn’t have torn his arm out of its socket to be a dozen-ish points not only ahead of the soapdodgers but the skiprats as well? Unbelievable season: CONCLUSIONS?

1/ Pardew – tactically astute esp given depth of squad choice

2/ Squad members, despite usual limitations of any player, ALL Premier League Quality.

3/ Ashley & Co, despite their uncompromisingly awful PR, are also thankfully uncompromisingly efficient and AMBITIOUS businessmen.

Sorry but I have had a neckful of the complete rings who have been spewing out their utter short-sighted trash all season and I have been waiting for the right time in the season (we haven’t played anyone yet/ we’ll see nearer the end of the season) to get this out of my system.

That’s better. :) oh and I did this on my phone so well I think I did alright meself lol

• 14 Toon! Toon! // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I think Perch has been great recently and played excellently, but if I’m honest I didn’t like the way he faked being hit in the face and got Reina sent off.
    I don’t think its sporting for any team to do this and had it been Krul sent off and Carroll faking, I think we’d all be livid right now, and rightly so.

I know if the shoe was on the other foot nearly any player would do the same, but I would prefer our team to be more honest and gentlemanly (and still win, of course) :-)

For that reason, James Perch would NOT be my MotM

Just my opinion.

• 15 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Geoff….Well pointed out mate. So we can reasonably enjoy the tournament first then :) Well, being English I doubt there will be too much enjoyment, but you get what I mean

• 16 paul_nufc_87 // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM

i think kenny dalglish showed what a poor poor manager he is by subbing carroll with very little time left in the game it gave all us geordies the chance to take the micky out of him and give him a send off which will have destroyed his confidence even more. Worst bit of man management I have seen in a long time

• 17 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Tsunki….They’ll be back in force again if we lose a game. Is fickle the word I’m looking for? :)

Still buzzing from yesterday…thank god we’re playing Friday….not so long to wait. Going to be tough waiting for the Monday game though.

• 18 Wor Shearer // Apr 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

@geoff777

Clubs can still arrange the transfers before the beginning of the window, so the July 1st date is relatively meaningless.

But as we all know, most of summer business is done in the last two or three weeks of august after the managers have seen what they’ve got to work with for the season.

• 19 NUFC Fan in Idaho // Apr 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Toon Toon is exactly RIGHT. What an acting job by Perch! That kind of sh**e is what makes Americans hate the game and I can’t say I was too happy even as a Magpie fan. Play the game and win with class.

• 20 LooneyToon41 // Apr 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM

@14. I didn’t like Perch’s reaction either, but he DIDN’T get Reina sent off. Regardless of Perch’s reaction, the only card the ref could have shown was Red. What Reina did was a Red Card offence!

• 21 Toon! Toon! // Apr 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Hi Looney, had he not gone down the ref may not of even seen the incident, if there was no contact then Perches action did get reina sent off… totally agree the offence is red card as intent was there, but the faking imho brought it more to light.

previous post: Brilliant Ben Arfa Has Shown Courage And Guts At Newcastle