19 Points From Last 7 Games – Magpies Make Champions League

Ivory Coast International Cheick Tiote  seems to be an ambitious player at Newcastle.

Cheick Tiote – in action in the African Cup of Nations earlier this year

And the 25 year-old has come out today and talked about Newcastle possibly qualifying for the Champions League.

This is what the 29 times capped player had to say about Newcastle qualifying for Europe this season:

“Getting into Europe is the biggest thing for us now and it is very important for us as players and for Newcastle as a club.”

“The first target is obviously the Europa League, but why shouldn’t we be thinking about the Champions League as well? Who knows, it could happen.”

“We have got ourselves into a good position, but all talk about Europe will mean nothing if we don’t keep winning.” “If we qualify for Europe, I will look back on this season as one of the best in my career.”

“It has not always been easy because I have had a few injuries and I missed a few games because I was playing in the Africa Cup of Nations.” “But now I want to do everything I can in the games that remain,  because we can still achieve some really big things.”

“We expect to win every game we play at the moment. We are in a very confident mood right throughout the team.” “Everyone is working very hard for each other, and that is the main reason why we are doing so well.”

“If we win every game for the rest of the season, it won’t matter what other teams do.” “Papiss has been brilliant for us. You expect him to score in every game, and that is what he is doing.”

“Papiss is full of confidence and that is great to see.”

Getting into the Champions league means we would have to finish 4th top at least, and we are 5 points behind both Arsenal and Tottenham, who are on 58 points in 3rd and 4th places currently.

With Newcastle’s inferior goal difference, that really means making 6 points up on one of those two London teams, in the last 7 games of the season, which is possible but highly unlikely.

But rather than talk about qualifying for this or for that this season, all Newcastle have to do is to try to win every single one of their 7 games remaining this season.

Glenn Roeder in 2006 managed to win six of the last seven and drew 0-0 with Birmingham in the other game, and that was the last time we qualified for Europe and we finished in 7th position.

If Newcastle did the same thing this season, we’d end up with 72 points,  which would be a better points tally than Bobby Robson ever achieved at Newcastle, in his five seasons in charge on Tyneside.

We got 71 points in 2001-2002 and 4th position under Sir Bobby Robson, behind Arsenal, Liverpool and Man United in that order, and then 69 points in the following season (2002-2003)  and 3rd position behind Man United and Arsenal.

As we said,  it’s highly unlikely that Pardew can beat the points total Bobby reached, but we think 72 points this season would qualify for the Champions League, which would be phenomenal if Newcastle could do that.

It’s easy – we just have to win six games more this season, which would be 21 wins – the second most wins ever for a Newcastle side in the Premier League, and one point from the other game.

Kevin Keegan’s side had 24 wins and 78 points in 1996, and that’s when we were caught by Man United, who won it with 82 points, four more than Newcastle in second place, and the Red Devils had 25 wins.

The maths is easy – but actually doing it could be  a bridge too far for Newcastle this season, but we’d definitely take qualifying for the Europa League – which is even likely this season.

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:56 AM

sorry repost

Liverpool bought AC for 35m scored 8 goals in all competition, played 35 games.
    Papis was bought for 10m scored 7 in 7 games. Amazing!!
    Even if we finished top 4, our players still won’t be picked for England squad. It’s a joke.

I take back everything bad I said to Perch, he has played incredibly well as utility player. I still have my doubt on Willo, he is definitely not comfortable on the ball.
    This season we showed a lot of people that hard work and unity and also good quality players (not big name stars) can do well in this league, hopefully can also do well in Europe.

HBA is the new Ginola or may be the new Beardsley. I believe we will sign new players in the summer easily especially when we are in Europe and pay cash full at front. I hope we will sign Douglas, Honda (I doubt Kagawa will be sold by Dortmund), Pasquato, and Chissoko/ De Ceglie. As Sammy, Vuckic, Streete, Tav, Ferguson will be upgraded.

We will sell Ranger, Gosling, probably Best.

• chris_g

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:31 AM

“Getting into the Champions league means we would have to finish 4th top at least”

Actually that’s not strictly true, Ed. It would be possible for us to finish 4th and still not qualify for the Champions League. Apparently the FA have confirmed that if Chelsea go on to win the CL trophy this year (unlikely, but possible) they will take the 4th qualifying place for next year’s tournament, regardless of where they finish in the league. The team finishing 4th in the table would, in those circumstances, have to settle for a place in the Europa League instead.

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Chris G

not only that, if Everton win the FA cup to go to Europa measn we have to finish 5th, 6th place won’t be enough.

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:41 AM

So.. we have to finish 4th or 5th this year if we want to play in Europe.

• JAMSHA

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:36 AM

watchn new vs liv full match repeat 🙂 exicted

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Basically we’re hoping Chelsea don’t win the CL (and also perform badly in the league and finish below us) and that Everton don’t reach the FA Cup final.

Loving the positivity from Tiote though. Pardew’s biggest job at this point imo is keeping the players grounded and focused. Would be pretty easy to get ahead of yourselves at this point.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Don’t wish to start battles of yesterday again, but thought i’d put my opinion out there on some of the “issues” from the previous threads.

The term “Neggar” – Is this really upsetting people? I honestly fail to see this as a slur, surely this is a simpler way of putting “you’re being negative”. If people are making the comparison to a racial slur, then imo, you’re way off and that is not in the slightest bit connected.

OV trying to drive people off the blog – Just plain wrong. Yes we may share opinions, however that should not be perceived as us bullying those with differing opinions. From what I have seen most people give reasoning for their thoughts on various matters, as one does on a blog when debating with someone. Apologies if you think we’re blinded with optimism and cannot see the reality, but we believe we do. Not everything is perfect at the club, nor is anyone claiming it is. However, can anyone out there honestly say we’re not better off than we were say 3 years ago?

If you heard a Liverpool fan complaining that there not winning the CL at the minute, what would you think? Delusional fool? They’re not that team anymore. With some work and time, sure. They’re re-building, just as we are. Yes, this is a forum to discuss all matters NUFC, including negative things. I feel though that some are really only interested in discussing these negative issues and taking them to ridiculous lengths. Does anyone seriously believe Pardew should have been sacked or has ruined our season? Really? I can see only a handful of managers in our league that have gotten the better of him and most have had more time with their teams in the PL. I think the point is everyone needs to chill out. Enjoy the good and debate which areas can improve. But let’s do it nicely and in a civil manner. Ed works really hard to maintain this blog for our enjoyment, let’s not ruin that with petty arguments. If you can’t agree with someone or respond in a thought out respectful manner then don’t bother.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:16 AM

On the story headline. 19 points out of 21 would be some achievement. It’s a testament to how well we’ve performed in a) the last 3 games and b) most of the season.

Do I think it’s likely? Well I wont be putting my last fiver on it. If we can keep the form and belief we are currently showing and the determination of this season it’s certainly there for the taking. I expect them to take one game at a time as they’ve done all season…and it seems to have worked pretty damn well

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Codarm

Doesn’t matter if “neggar” is upsetting others or not. it is better if not calling others any terms. People upset because they are not agreeing with you and you called them names. whether it is offensive, each people takes it differently.

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Sacking Pardew is not a good idea, when things are not broken why fix it. 4 ro 5 games before, we criticized AP for not trying to play other than defensive 4-4-2, it seems that he realized that now and playing with 4-5-1 sometimes 4-3-3, even 3-4-3 against Sunderland.
    4-4-2 is really bad formation if you are using utility players, you can do that if you are strong at defense imo.

• dmac

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I can see both sides of the neggar arguement. The word is close in spelling to an offensive word, but that is where the similarity ends. It has no conotations or connections to tht word. It is a widely used word on the internet to define someone that is being negative.

Oh i havent posted in a while so it would be foolish not to say how proud i am of the team at the moment!! I always knew it was capable of performing this well! Congrats to Pards and i have been well untruly silenced on any angry spur of the moment criticism i may have given perch he has been exceptional.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Redondo….Please don’t think I am being argumentative for the sake of it. I think it does matter if the term is upsetting and or offensive. I’ve not seen anyone request for positive terms not to be used on the site. If “Neggar” has become a term which makes others unhappy, then it should be discussed whether it should be used or not. I think people are entitled to say they think someone is being overly negative, as sometimes they are. However, if people would prefer we not use the shortened “neggar”, I can respect that and use a full sentence to say the same thing. I was more curious as to why it’s such a problem. Is it as simple as people perceive it as name calling? Honestly, if someone calling you negative is your biggest issue things are not that bad. Just my opinion and I am happy to stop using the term, but I will continue to say when I think someone is being “too” negative. Is that reasonable?

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Redondo…I also can see that the term does fly around a lot and because someone has a differing opinion on one or two matters doesn’t make them a negative person / fan across the board. I also don’t think calling someone negative in response to a post should be taken as calling them completely negative. There needs to be a line of judgement or we will need to start using disclaimers with every post…now that could take the fun out of the blog 🙂

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM

If you want to use it, it’s your choice, but don’t be surprise if some people are offended as I said some people takes it differently, if they are in bad mood or good mood.
    I’m just saying if you are not using it, wouldn’t it be better?

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Let’s go for 4th place and play in UCL like we used to. 🙂

• WWJBD

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Have to love Tiote thinking this just makes me smile. It is possible to still get CL but its probably not going to happen.

On a side note Robby Bobson (cheers for telling me) posted that G.Nev picked his defence of the season and Simmo was in his top 3 RBs and that man knows about RBs maybe time to give the lad some credit?

• Londtoon

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Retonda I feel you may be underestimating Pardew. I don’t think it is a case of realising a better formation… I think it was how stretched the squad was a month and a half ago and the lack of strength with Cisse and Arfa not being used to the PL ontop of the injury issues with Cheick and cabs suspensions etc.

If the squad was playing how they are now back in January and Feb then I feel Pardew would of played that way sooner

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Redondo….Honestly I don’t want to beat it to death. I have no problem not using the shortened term. My question is in your opinion is it acceptable then to call someone negative? Is it the particular term that’s the problem or an issue of calling someone negative?

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Redondo @15…No arguments from me. Surprised? lol

• Offkey

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

CODARM – I clearly dont share the same sense of humour as those in your OV group, does that give me the right to call you all morons?

Do you moron offensive? I dont so it must be ok then?

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

WWJBD…I’d say he knows a thing or two about the position. Simpson is an ok RB. Not great, but certainly not terrible like some make out. If we were competing at CL league level would we need a better RB? It would certainly help. Does Simpson have a role at this club? Absolutely.

Londtoon….I agree. I think it was a question of options and timing, not suddenly realizing the fans were right for wanting a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 variation. The guy imo deserves more credit than he is given by some of the fans

• Offkey

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM

do you find moron offensive***

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Offkey….Do I moron offensive? I don’t read moron is that is what you were asking?

Come on man, lighten up. Where have I attacked anyone that makes you feel you need to try and attack me?

Calling someone negative is completely different than calling them a moron. Do you disagree?

I have asked in most of my posts today whether it is the term or the idea of being called negative and no-one has answered that. Why?

I have not said I think it’s OK, therefore it is. I am not that ignorant or uneducated. I am trying to discuss a matter on here, perhaps you could try to do the same.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Took me a while to respond, so thanks for clarifying your question

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

4th place or not, I’m happy and proud. if we really do finished 4th, I’m the happiest man on the planet.

Codarm, back in August I said we are going to finish 4th, hopefully it does happen. 😛

Londtoon, for example when we play vs Spurs, we are missing many players, yet we played 4-4-2. I don’t mind playing negative football, but 4-4-2 is like you are not really defending or attacking at that time and it’s too predictable that we played long ball from GK to FW. I’m just saying if we want to play negative defending why not 5-4-1 or 3-6-1.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Perhaps I should make a correction in my own post 🙂

I don’t read moron if that is what you were asking?

• Offkey

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Just shows what an idiot you are, jumping on a typing error…..

I put my point without being insulting, this is where all you in your group get it soooooo wrong

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Redondo….I’d love it if you were right. The long ball has been hard to watch. I’ve seen a few short one’s from Krul to the defence and well it hasn’t filled me with confidence either. It’s something Pardew really needs to work on with them

• WWJBD

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Ibizatoon
    See I would say Simmo is a good RB with a good attitude and has the ability to build understandings fairly quickly. Obviously he is not one of the best RBs in the world.

Do we need a new RB next season? Honestly I wouldnt be disappointed if we keep Simmo as a starter (I might be alone in that I know but its my opinion) I think there are more obvious places that we need to strengthen

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Perhaps Offkey.

I think you asking if it was ok to call me a moron as we didn’t share the same sense of humour may be seen as insulting. If your point wasn’t to say I was a moron but if Neggar is ok, surely moron is too, then yes, I must have it wrong as the two words are miles apart.

Once again, no response to my actual question just trying to point out that you think I’m an idiot…which funny enough, I am ok with

• Offkey

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Normally calling someone on the phone is ok. If it is unwanted it will become harassment. Calling someone a name (whether or not its definition is offensive) can be harassment…….simple really.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

WWJBD…I wouldn’t be too disappointed with him being first choice next season either. TBH I wouldn’t mind the same starting 11 next season either. We def need to bolster the squad with players, as Simpson wont be able to play every league, cup and European game. If we get to a point where we want to challenge at CL level (which in my opinion is a way off – qualifying and competing are totally different), then we may need stronger options. But he certainly has improved and grafts for the team and is part of the reason we’re enjoying the success that we are. Yes I said success 🙂

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM

WWJBD

If we really are going to play in Europe next season, we do need it not just new RB. I think with European games, it will be too much for Simmo alone to be RB every game. Unless we are going to throw away domestic cups.

Probably players who can play both sides like Santon, because we do have bad history with injuries.

• Toon_Tom

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Ed – new blog please!!!

To everyone else, please put your handbags down!!!

• Londtoon

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Hi retonda… I don’t think we could of played those sort of formations as we only had two CB’s (Colo and Willo: this was before Perch hit form) and wouldn’t have the cover to play such a strong back line. Similarly with 5 or 6 in midfield that means playing the likes of gosling, abeid or vuckic who would not be able to handle tottenham on the day. And thats not even to mention the bench who would on gone there?

4-4-2 is the most conservative in the sense and i agree with what you said that it is neither attacking or defending but you have variations of the 4-4-2 depending how the game is going and allows us to play wide or through the center. I still believe Pardew has done what he could with what he had available at that time. Ofcourse I was not happy with the result as I expect you were, but Spurs were on a next level that game. If we played them in a 4-4-2 over recent weeks where their form has suffered I for one would fancy our chances. This is just my opinion and not an attack on your posts!

Give the man credit though he has beaten everyone’s expectations and pulled off some wonder tactical games such as Stoke away, United at home and West Brom away to name but a few. We have had some slips but who hasn’t. United lost 3-2 at trafford to Bburn, Spurs lost whilst 2 up at the emirates.. It happens

• redondo77

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Codarm

Bottom line is if you don’t know that person very well or very close, that person will 99% get offended even if you don’t mean it.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM

OK offkey. That’s fine. As i’ve said, I have no problem not using that term. What you’ve written, imo, could be taken to ridiculous levels.

From now on you will see a different poster, full or praise for all types of feedback whether I agree or not. Then everyone can feel good and get along.

• WWJBD

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Ibizatoon and redondo
    Oh aye I agree with that was just about him starting for us next season though at the same time I hear a lot of how Tav is twice the player Simmo is etc etc etc so surely he should be stepping up next season if we get European football and in the cups?

Having said that if we can get Clyne (for example) then we should but Id get a LB before I was looking at RBs

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Redondo…Completely understand that and have since you and I started discussing it. So it is the term not the meaning that’s the problem?

• Toon_Tom