The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Close To Signing 21 Year Old Attacking Midfielder

8:24 am, Thursday, April 5th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

We were first linked with Jacob Butterfield late last year.

Jacob Butterfield - cheer up son – you’re coming to Newcastle

The 21 year-old attacking midfielder of Barnsley had been spotted by Newcastle scouts in the Championship, and his contract is up at the Yorkshire club this summer, and there were strong rumors late last year that Newcastle were in for the youngster.

But then he picked up a terrible cruciate ligament knee injury on 31st December against Leeds United, which will see miss the rest of the season,  and that’s the same injury that Dan Gosling was suffering from, when he was signed as a free agent from Everton almost two years ago.

With these injuries, there’s always a chance the lad will not be quite the same player when he’s fit again, although with today’s medical advances that’s getting less common, and certainly Ben Arfa is showing he’s as good as ever, after recovering from his broken leg.

The Daily Mirror is reporting the deal is close to going through,  and while the lad is on a free transfer,  since he’s under 24,  Newcastle will need to pay a compensation fee,  which we reported was around £3M in early January.

The Mirror is saying that fee is now £2M, so Newcastle will be picking up a very good England U21 International for a fairly small fee -maybe we can class that as peanuts.

The lad is thought to be one of the best players outside the Premier League and Barnsley manager Keith Hill had said last month the player will likely be leaving the club when his contract expires at the end of June:

“Do I want to keep the best young midfielder in the Championship? Of course I do,” “But this club cannot compete financially with other clubs in this league and we keep losing players.”

“We have offered Jacob a contract but he will receive other offers that are much better financially. I think he will probably leave at the end of the season.”

As long as Jacob recovers well from his knee injury,  this should be a good deal for Newcastle.

By our reckoning Jacob has played 99 times for Barnsley with 8 goals, since making his debut in a League Cup tie against Newcastle United in August of 2007, when he had just turned 17 .

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Pardew's fist pump // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Hmmmm, doesn’t particularly inspire me. His face is ridiculous too.

• 2 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM

If Carr is happy with him, then that is good enough for me. It does seem all we’re lined with are young midfielders, where we are already pretty strong, want to see some young defenders and strikers coming our way.

• 3 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Fist Pump….Extremely ridiculous face…might fit in well with Liverpool?

• 4 Dannyo // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Would be nice to have some english players who could actually play for England. Outside Saylor and possibly Gosling if he comes back to his inital talent, we don’t have anyone.
    We’ve taken players with injuries before, and he’s played 100 times at the age of 21.
    So he’s not injury prone.

• 5 redondo77 // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Codarm

Probably we are planning to play 3-5-2 or 3-6-1.

• 6 spitfire_ // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I’m not sure about this… he might be good but now he’s injured… We should not buy players which is not fit. Besides this will be domestic transfer which means that Carr didn’t seen him. I do not even remember for the last demestic transfer… one kind of bald player. Pardew should relies on Carr’s recommendations.

• 7 iamnufc // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Is he worth the risk is the first question that springs to mind after his bad injury? then again most of out signings have been high risk. e.g. ben arfa, , demba ba and they have performed impeccably. On the other hand, we have ppl like gosling and maurvex who are talented, no doubt, but yet to show it in our black and white jersey

• 8 Dannyo // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM

@spitfire
    Wouldn’t be so sure that Carr hasn’t seen him. Remember, transfers are discussed with Carr, Pardew, Charnley, DL and sometimes MA and Beardsley.
    I think we can be pretty confident that there’s extensive scouting in the picture here and Carr will be informed one way or the other.

• 9 redondo77 // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Do you guys watched Barca vs Milan game?

• 10 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Spitfire…Are you referring to a certain Obertan? I still think he’ll come good. Maybe not a world beater, but certainly a great option to have in the team.

Redondo….If we can find some more Tiote’s I’d be inclined to play a 1-0-10-0

• 11 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM

If we buy let’s say four promising players, even some with injuries for £1 – 2m each, we only really need one or two to come good for it to be pretty good business. We’ve been linked before and he fits the profile, so could see this one happening. But as we’ve seen with out transfers or late, there are to be many twists and turns yet

• 12 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I read somewhere on the last thread that Perch may be out? Is this true? Anyone have any information?

One funny old season this one…

Fighting for Europe with a chance of CL (even if a small chance).

Fan’s worried with 7 games to go that Perch may not be able to play.

Curried goat and strawberry syrup given away with each match ticket.

Who would have thought

• 13 iamnufc // Apr 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM

According to the journal perch was having dinner at williamson’s place last nite lol. No mention of any injury. THink it is only a knock, nothing serious. Recalling James Tv is just a precaution. FIngers crossed.

• 14 spitfire_ // Apr 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM

@Dannyo

Carr said couple of days ago that he watch games in Holand, Germany and France… not UK. I don’t know how “extensive” they scouting Butterfield but if like Obertan’s scouting then no thanks. And I guess that there was a “discusion” about Obertan’s transfer… this doesn’t mean a lot.

• 15 iamnufc // Apr 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Ahhhhhhh…. Vuckic is out too. Is it me or does this guy keep getting injured when he is close to first team football???

• 16 spitfire_ // Apr 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM

@ CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

I’m pretty sure about Obertan because Carr maybe seen him when he was in France but 3-4 years are long time. In England he play nothing. I’ll be happy if Obertan refute me but I’m not too confident about it.

• 17 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Spitfire, I can understand where you are coming from. I will remain quietly optimistic though…it is in my nature and well, we’ve already paid for him :)

• 18 Faddj // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM

guys, I’m a young photographer trying to get a bit of recognition, I was sat pitch side at the game on Sunday for the ‘Wembley to Soweto’ project, if you have a minute have a look at my blog please, cheers!

• 19 geordiejamie89 // Apr 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Let’s not forget we need so many English players registered in the Premier league. There’s not too many first teamers at the minute, and with the possibility of Guthrie leaving, there’s one less. I think we’ve got shola, saylor, raylor, simpson(may be leaving), guthrie (may be leaving), gosling and a couple others. So if a couple leave, we’ll need a couple new players brought in.

• 20 Crawfordladd17 // Apr 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Rather take the boy from AZ Alkmaar has the same first name as me Adam Maher

previous post: Tavernier Back From Loan – Perch Should Be Banned – Nonsense!

next post: Perch Doubtful For Swansea – Guthrie Out – Colo Back Monday?