The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Perchinio Loving Life At Newcastle – Flattered By Nickname

10:26 am, Thursday, April 5th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

It’s really a great story-line,  the way James Perch has improved with some stellar performances for Newcastle since the turn of the year, and in different positions on the pitch too.

Newcastle’s Perchinio – Barcelona rumored to be interested?

Newcastle take on Swansea City tomorrow afternoon, and Swansea are one of the best footballing sides in the Premier League,  as they try to play the Barcelona way and keep the ball and frustrate their opponents.

James has played against them when he was at his home-town club Nottingham Forest, and he had this to say in the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“I’ve had experience playing against Swansea for Nottingham Forest. We never used to like playing against them because of how they keep the ball,”

“That was Forest, this is Newcastle who are a much better team. It will be a different task to recent weeks. West Brom are similar but not as effective passing the ball.”

“You know what you’re going to get. They don’t change to play against anyone – be that Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City or Wigan.”

“They stick to their formation and pass the ball at every opportunity. We know what to expect, definitely. We know we’ll get worked out of possession – credit to them.”

“I can’t get away from that Perchinio nickname now!”  “It’s flattering really.”  “Who would have thought it a year and a half ago with all the bad times I had at the start of last season?”

“I probably wouldn’t have thought something like that would have happened. But I’m enjoying it and when you’re beating Liverpool 2-0 and your name is ringing around St James’ Park it’s a good feeling. The manager loves it!”

“The players haven’t given me much stick for it . . . Yet!”

Perch had a tough time of it since arriving on Tyneside,  and he’s admitted he didn’t play well at the beginning of his Newcastle career, but it’s a reflection of the lad’s character that’s hes come back so well this season and Alan Pardew’s man-management also has to take some credit for that too.

But James is as honest as the day is long, and there’ s nothing better that fans like to see than a hard working player who gives 100% for Newcastle in every single game.

That’s one reason the Geordie fans are taking to James big time, and the mutual admiration society will only increase,  the more we see James put in those excellent performances for the side.

Keep it up Perchinio.

Comments welcome.

Tags: James Perch · Newcastle News

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM

ED man! slow down it’s not a race! ha ha ha :)

• 2 MagpiesFlyHigh // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Solid but unspectacular is a pretty good description. Just what we need.

• 3 MagpiesFlyHigh // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

* credit to Beattie OV for that

• 4 Tsunki // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Actually I posted after the match some of the songs I enjoyed participating in and the one that I forgot was the perchinho chant lol. Still buzzing over that match and all the complaining by the scousers just makes it better. Much better.

• 5 Tsunki // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

BeattieOV sounds like a good monicker ;)

• 6 MagpiesFlyHigh // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Tsunki

Crackin post previous thread

• 7 Vask // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I reckon Perch deserves a spot in the Team GB Olympic team. If it’s good enough for RTaylor it’s good enough for wor Pechy.

• 8 Vask // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Perchy not pechy, he’s a funny guy. Like a clown.

• 9 ~Perchinho the Pheonix~ // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Looks different in that photo.

• 10 Jimay // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Skull club – toon army….great f*****g song!

• 11 Indian Magpie // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Howard webb – why always him for NUFC, i dont like his refering

• 12 Faddj // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

guys, I’m a young photographer trying to get a bit of recognition, I was sat pitch side at the game on Sunday for the ‘Wembley to Soweto’ project, if you have a minute have a look at my blog please, cheers!

• 13 Jimay // Apr 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Have you heard Toon Army by Skull Club…great song!

• 14 MagpiesFlyHigh // Apr 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Faddj

Really enjoyed your blog and pix :-)

• 15 thebionicMAG // Apr 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM

@ Vask 8

“Does he amuse you?”

• 16 geordiejamie89 // Apr 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I do feel regret of some of the comments I made over James Perch in some of his earlier performances. Not for saying he was poor, because he himself has just admitted he wasn’t the best. But because I was hoping he wouldn’t stay, and didn’t see a future for him. Now I hope he stays for the long term, his work ethic is great. I always think it must be hard to be in and out of the team, playing in different positions. But in the last few games he’s picked up man of the match votes 3 times in 3 different positions. He’s a great player to have.

previous post: James Perch Responds To Head-Butt Criticism

next post: Will Dan Gosling Get His Chance Tomorrow In Place Of Guthrie?