Cabaye’s French International Friend Wants To Join Newcastle

French International Yohan Cabaye wants to play in Europe again,  and he thinks he’s at the right club to do just that.

Yohan Cabaye in those orange strips we sometimes wear on the road

With Newcastle doing so well this season, and being very high profile in France, and also having such a large French contingent of players, we have to think there are a number of very good players in France who would jump at the chance of joining Newcastle in the summer.

And when Newcastle play,  Yohan says their games are always shown on French TV, and the Magpies are a well supported  club in France.

We have to think we looked impressive when we hammered Manchester  United 3-0 and Liverpool 2-0 in just two of our home games this year.

Yohan doesn’t seem to mind whether it’s the Champions League or the Europa League, just as long as he gets back playing in Europe.

He has told his friend, the long serving Lille right back and French International, 26 year-old Mathieu Debuchy, to come join him at Newcastle:

This is what Yohan said:

“My goal is to play in Europe again – either the Europa League or Champions League,” “Newcastle United is on a good way to get that, so I don’t really want to change where I am if I can achieve that here.”

“I would like to play in both Europa League and Champions League – Champions League will be more difficult, but there are seven games, you never know. I would just like to play in Europe.”

“My other aim is to play in the European Championships with France, which I can do if I’m playing here.” “I managed to play in the Champions League with my home town Lille, but it is the same situation here.”

“We need to build a big team – if each year someone else leaves the club it’s going to be difficult. It is really, really important to keep the players to build a big team.”

“I love playing in England, I’m thankful to Newcastle United for giving me the chance to play here. My family feel good here and I would like to stay here for a long time.”

“I told my friend Mathieu Debuchy he should come here. He said he would love to come to England and Newcastle. He would like to come here!”

“Newcastle now has a big reputation in France. When we play, French TV now shows Newcastle games. They try to show every game and support them.”

Mathieu Debuchy was like Cabaye,  in that he joined Lille at a young age and has played there since 2003, and the right-back has so far made 279 appearances for the French Champions with 17 goals.

Mathieu Debuchy – Lille right back

He has played 3 times for France, but whether he’s good enough to come to Newcastle we don’t know,  since it seems Newcastle are very likely to bring in Erik Pieters in the summer from PSV, the Dutch International left back.

Debuchy has been linked with Spanish club  Valencia over the last month.

Both players were born in northern France and joined their nearby home town club Lille, and Yohan played 253 times for Lille with 39 goals and 35 assists before joining Newcastle last year for €5M, via a release clause in his contract.

On Tyneside, Yohan settled in very quickly, and has been one of the reasons that Newcastle currently lie in 6th place in the Premier League table, level on points with Chelsea.

Yohan has so far made 31 appearances with 3 goals and 5 assists for Newcastle.

Newcastle are at Swansea today, and it’s the only game in the Premier League,  and we expect the game is being shown live on French TV – it’s being shown live here in the US on the Fox Soccer Channel.

We need to win today and then we’ll be flying even higher, and a bit closer to qualifying for Europe,  so as we can fulfill Cabaye’s wishes.

Howay The Lads!!

• Toonboy_84

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I just love this guy. He’ll be even better next season.

• ToonZiga

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I think Simmo is doing a great job, but would welcome one right back as a backup. We need a bigger squad.

• toonincheek

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Probably a bit too old for us – little sell-on value at the end of his contract.
    Been with Lille for 9 years – although he could have joined in his early teens, I suppose.

• Belly

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Cabaye = sheer quality. I can’t wait for next season for him to improve even more. I’m looking forward to him playing for France in the euros alongside Ben Arfa too hopefully. I can’t remember the last time we had a Newcastle team full of game changers. It’s so exciting being a Newcastle supporter at the moment. Credit goes to Pards, Carr and the board. Thank you for making us proud to be Newcastle supporters again. With a bit of luck and hard work this team can achieve great things.

• ToonZiga

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Belly#

i agree with you…

• danr

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM

from what i’ve seen him (2 games or so), debuchy is VERY good. much better than simmo. and 26 is not old. he is at his best and could serve us well for 4 years or more.

• Dannyo

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I hope this startles Simmo a bit and force him to sign. But then we should end up signing Debuchy anyway 😛

Nah, i doubt we’ll sign him unless Simmo leaves, and i think Simmo knows that, that’s why he’s holding out.

• Nipsey

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I live in france and i can tell you that Debuchy is a very good right back and i would be very pleased if we can buy him because he is good at going forward and he also defends very well,but the problem would be his price because Lille are asking 15M euros for him.

• Papiss_Myself

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I say sign the bloke. If he is as passionate about football as Cabaye and WANTS to play for us then at least we know we will get 100% out of the guy, and he has plenty of experience too.

• Grafton83

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I had to pinch myself when we spent 10m on Cisse, i don’t think fees like that will be paid on any kind of a regular basis. Our finances have taken a long time to get in order so there’s noway we’re spending 15m or anything like that even if he is as good as Cabaye.

Fingers crossed he has a min release fee clause.

• Szarka

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

15 mill is too much , Nufc cant afford that. :/ Simpson wont sign the new contract, if he didnt done that yet. Maybe hes waiting if we can reach Europe or not. But if we dont , Simpson wont be the only one leaving I fear.

• Faddj

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I know I posted this all of yesterday and I’m aware it might annoy people but I need some recognition so I’ll keep annoying everyone until everyone’s seen it! haa

I’m a young photographer and sat pitch side at the game on Sunday on behalf of the ‘Wembley to Soweto’ project, please take the time to have a look at my photos from the day on my blog, thanks!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:31 AM

We are being linked with everyone and his dog!

There are so many names being bandied around! But then there is nothing new there then eh!

In a way it helps keep the other clubs away from our targets and hopefully helps to get our real transfers in!

• ash1001

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

@faddj #12

Hope you all had a brilliant day, excellent photographs, all the best for the future.

• macthedog

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

@faddj, was actually a bit hesitant too watch the pictures, since there is a lot of spammers around, but they are really good. What camera are you using?