Ryan Taylor At Right-Midfield Or Left-Back Today?

We could see a fit Ryan Taylor return to the team at left-back today.

Ryan Taylor – after scoring that wonder goal at Sunderland in August

Ryan could also  come in directly for the injured Danny Guthrie on the right of midfield, or we suspect he could replace Argentine Jonas Gutierrez at left back.

That would mean Jonas going to the left side of midfield, with Tiote in the middle and Frenchman Yohan Cabaye out on the right.

That’s assuming Newcastle will keep playing their 4-3-3 formation,  but they could easily switch to 4-4-2 with Ben Arfa  on the right wing and Cabaye and Tiote the two central midfielders and Jonas on the left wing.

Ryan has had a great season, and in the main had avoided injury, unlike last term, and he has played 28 times with 3 goals and that compares to only 8 appearances and 2 goals last season.

Two years ago we though Ryan would be leaving Newcastle to get more games elsewhere, as he’s not one of those players – like Michael Owen as one very good example – who’s willing to sit on the bench and collect his pay check without ever playing.

Ryan has done so well this season, and was rightly awarded with a two year extension to his contract earlier this year, and he now has another three years on Tyneside.

Ryan had this to say today,  about what you have to do as a footballer:

“Sometimes, in this business, you’ve got to take things on the chin.” “It’s how you react, and I’d like to think I reacted well in the past by not throwing my toys out of the pram.”

“Or even going and knocking the manager’s door down.”   “I just got on with it and knuckled down.” “I knew we were going to lose a few players, but I never thought I’d play 19 games at left back.

“That wasn’t on the agenda!” “Obviously, I would have liked to have played in a more natural position, and it took a while to settle in.”

“The season’s gone from strength to strength.”    “To be rewarded with a new contract just shows I’ve come on in leaps and bounds this season.” “I’ve got to thank the manager for giving me my chance and having faith.”

“It’s all down to sheer graft and hard work.”

It says a lot about Alan Pardew’s man-management skills,  that Ryan had had his best season ever at Newcastle,  and maybe the best season in his career – so far.

We’ve always known Ryan was a first rate professional,  and his attitude is simply top-class,  and he’s a great role model for the younger players in the Newcastle squad, and he’s not too bad a player either.

We expect to see Ryan starting today – either in midfield on the right,  or at left back – and that shows you just how adaptable this top utility player is.

• Morning lads,

Exited about today’s game, really exited. Looking forward to a fast paced attacking display by both sides with Newcastle just edging it. I agree with the above posters that it will be Taylor LB and Jonas in the middle, which is fine by me. Abied will get his chance but it is probably best to give him a shot next season.

• Dannyo

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Dunno, i honestly don’t expect him to start, but not really sure. If he does start, i’m guessing he’ll start at RM.

• I would guess this team…

—————–Krul
    Simo——Willo–Perch—–Taylor
    —-Cabaye–Tiote—Jonas
    HBA———Cisse———Ba

• Indian Magpie

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

no no – no Raylor please, give santon or gosling a go.

• jamesnufc86

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Guti, Cabaye and Tiote have to be amongst the biggest grafters in the PL, I’m a bit concerned about the game today but know it won’t be a game we get smashed in, I’ll would take a draw

• Tsunki

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM

It would make sense to put him LB as he started the season there and did ok. If santon could keep his positional discipline it might allow jonas to pressure their RB

• SwedishMagpie

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I hope we play Santon today. We really need his pace against Dyer

• davybtoon

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Lads win today n we go 5th n 2pts behind spurs n arsenal, if spurs n arsenal get beat off scum n city were ryt back in the hunt for champions league

• Tsunki

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM

jamesnufc86 – and simmo.

• jayphoto

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM

santon could have all the pace of usain bolt, doesnt help him when he gets caught out of position 30 yards ahead of the opposition winger! we must have the only italian in the world who can’t defend! Don’t think pardew trusts him when we play 4-3-3 as he doesnt have that protection of gutierrez infront of him covering!
    Saying that, gotta be honest, guttierez has played as well at left back this season as taylor or santon!

• Brutooon

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM

santon at left back please. give santon more chances

• Beattie25

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Regarding the simmo stats on the previous thread

Simmo is good but not great and I think we should look for better.

Put lennon, young, agbonglahor, oxolade-chamberline, Moses, Hoilett etc… Against him and he’ll loose that battle 9/10 times. He clears of the line, holds the line well but as a rb he is there to stop attacks from the wing reaching the box, something he doesn’t do well.

I would say we need better but it my opinion.

• alip123

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

If we win, for the first time ever I’ll be supporting 5under1and. Also it would be hilarious if by winning Sunderland aided us 😀

A lot of how our season goes hinges on the FA Cup; if Chelsea beat Spurs then as the Chelsea game v us is 3 days before the FA Cup final that may play into our favour; fatigue also may cost Chelsea.

Obviously we need Liverpool to see off Everton because I doubt we can get into the top 5. I think we can give it a pretty good shot though

• davybtoon

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I watched the Liverpool game back the other day n jonas was class at left back I couldn’t believe it

Anyone seen this youness belhanda were after from Montpellier looks awesome

• Tsunki

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Brutooon have to agree with jayphoto there santon needs to learn his trade and not be caught upfield so much. To some degree that has been our most consistent vulnerability with FB’s this year imo.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Raylor at LB for me and Jonas LM helping him out, 433 of course.

@jamesnufc86 at this stage of the season we need wins.
    Drawing matches is for mid-table teams, that’s why they are mid-table teams.
    If we want to finish 4/5th we have to win all or most of our remaining seven games.

• Tsunki

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Who is this Debuchy mate of Dreamboat who we are linked with now? Seems like a simmo nudger?

• Beattie25

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Jayphoto

Santon is a great defender but is learning the requirements of English football

• Indian Magpie

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I have to say that pardew has done great job this season,

but some of the posters here are smoking something, santon over raylor no brainer

• darrenfletcher88

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Looking forward for the game today lads, am sick of people saying Swansea are a good team,yes they pass the ball around,but everyone forgets the games they have been steamrolled!!! Get Ben afra the ball and get tiote cabaye and jonas close down get in there faces and they will not no what’s hit them!!!

• jamesnufc86

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Santon seems a bit reluctant to get stuck in , nimble and quick , but lacks defensive qualities imo

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

@Tsunki

26 yr old Lille RB. 17 goals in 279 appearances.

• Tsunki

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Indian – why exactly is santon over RT a no-brainer?

• Ketsbaia9

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Raylor should be starting at right-back ahead of Simpson. This is the team that I’d play today:

Krul

Raylor Perch Kadar Santon

Ben Arfa Tiote Cabaye Gutierrez

Cisse Ba

• Indian Magpie

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Tsunki,

why put square pegs in round holes

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM

@ketsbaia9

Why Kadar over willo?
    Kadar hasn’t even made the bench in any of our games and has limited experience in the BPL.

• Papiss_Myself

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I agree with post 3

—————–Krul
    Simo——Willo–Perch—–Taylor
    —-Cabaye–Tiote—Jonas
    HBA———Cisse———Ba

Its the only sensible option in my honest opinion

Feed the sheep and Ba will score

HWTL

As for Santon, I think Pards is doing an Arfa on him. Keep training him the way he wants him to be, make him hungry for 1st team places then release the beast.

• geordie157

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Gosling, Tiote and Cabaye as a midfield trio please Pards!! Santon or Jonas left back, and Abeid & Fergs getting 20mins or more off the bench would be nice.

• Ketsbaia9

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I just think that Mike’s a complete liability. Kadar seems to be better on the ball and appears faster. We could play Simpson at right-back, but his height is the problem. Perch is a definite starter though. He’s deserved it these last few games. The bloke’s on fire.

• Vask

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Ketsbaia. That looks to me like a ridiculous backline. Kadar over Williamson? Drop Simpson for RTaylor? There is absolutely no logic in that, or if there is I can’t see it. Why?

• Tsunki

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

If we can get the scouse back line trashing their pants surely our front three with jonas and cabs behind can bray the swans? Most of their so-called sweet passing play occurs in their own half so if we go at them they’ve got no game except catch us on the break. Therefore not santon.

• Burni

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I think Taylor should be left back for today as others have stated. This will allow a solid main three of guti, cabaye and Tiote.

Indian, I commend ur passion for the skills of santon but until the guy learns to defend a little better I’d rather stick with someone who is proven. Santon is excellent at bombing forward but his defending is questionable. Raylors on the other hand is less so.

I’m really looking forward to this match today but I’m really not sure what to expect. I think we should win based on our squad strength and current form. But….. U just never know with this team.

Having said that. Another 2-0 or 3-1

• carlton nufc

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

That youness belhanda kid is someone who would take this club to the next level

• jamesnufc86

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I still like Santon but I think he still has that prancing around Italian mentality , all fart and nae shite, let Pardew ease the boy in and I’m sure he will come good

• hrocks

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

swansea play good football but most of the time they play it where it doesnt hurt you. Pardew will have to play cynical football and let them have the ball in certain areas of the pitch. we have players who can hurt them all across the pitch. im looking forward to a good open game with our quality showing through in the end. concentration and keeping our shape is a must. if we can do this we will limit them. it may not look good in the possesion stats but we have much more cutting edge if we play to the top of our game

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Kadar may be better on the ball and faster, but I don’t think that justifies starting him ahead of a defender who has played CB for a good portion of the season and done a decent job.

Willo is also one of our main aerial threats and was unlucky not to score against the bin dippers. He had one header hit the bar and another directly at Reina.

• 5Danny94

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Pardew doesn’t like to change a winning team. I’d be surprised if he went back to 4-4-2, especially as 4-3-3 suits Ben Arfa, who’s definitely our danger man at the moment.
    Santon seems to have been over-looked. I think his pace could be dangerous on the break. Worth a should at LB.

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

um. Am I the only one that see’s a background of NUFC supporters. Its making it hard to read…

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

There’s a difference between Simmo a straight FB and Santon a FWB. Simmo is a lot better at the basics than he is given credit for imo though I accept BeattieOV that we might want to up our standard there – but do we want FBs or FWBs – look at Bale started FB, then FWB now AMF – he’s matured into a different player and I reckon Santon is going through the same process. He needs coaching in how to mix attacking and defensive duties if he’s to be a FWB, but he’s quality and will find his natural place soon. AP does work with the players to find out where they fit (HBA for 1) but he also loves the utiltiy guys who can just do a solid job anywhere they are asked.

• jayphoto

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

anyone asking about debuchy! He’s immense! To be honest, lille want around 13m english pounds for him, i doubt hes coming here unless he has a release clause! Being heavily watched by both manchester clubs! He is kind of 1 of Laurent Blancs wildcards at the euro’s, recently broke into the national team, could easily go on to be in the team of the tournament! In my opinion the best right back in france!

1 2 3 8