The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew Asks Newcastle Fans To Be Patient

10:48 am, Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

Alan Pardew is giving his players a well earned rest before they come back on Saturday,  to prepare for the next game against Stoke City, which is a week come Saturday.

Alan Pardew - meticulous in his planning at Newcastle

And it just so happens that Newcastle have always failed to win,  after any kind of lengthy break this season, and Alan is well aware of that.

That’s because Alan is  meticulous in his planning of each of Newcastle’s  game, and he’ll  be hoping to change that stat this time around.

This is what Alan told the local Newcastle press today:

“We have changed it. The previous times we have had this period we have not won.” “We are giving the boys time off now and then we are going to be in at the weekend.”

“Then we have a week’s training and hopefully that will work better for us.” “I think the fans are so important.” “They were patient against Bolton.”

“I have been here twice when we have not played as well as we would have liked,  and the fans became irritable.”

“If there is a bit of negativity coming down from the stands, it makes it difficult for the players.” “The fans, though, helped us get over the line.”

Those are good words from the Newcastle manager,  because the fans who go to the games will try their best not to be too negative,  when things are not going well for the Newcastle players.

Football is a funny game,  and sometimes the lads are just not on song, but it’s important in those games that we still win – like we did against Bolton and Swansea in the last couple of  vital games.

There’s no doubt the Stoke game will be full of tension, but there again,  if Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba or Ben Arfa can score some goals in the first half,  that would certainly relieve the pressure.

It will be 3 points or bust a week come Saturday,  and then we’ll just have to see how Chelsea and Tottenham do in their games that day.

On 21st April when Newcastle take on Stoke City at St. James’ Park, Tottenham are at QPR,  and Chelsea are at Arsenal,  in the early 12:45 pm kick-off game.

Hmmm – those are two difficult away games for the two London sides fighting it out with Newcastle for 4th place, so let’s hope we can beat Stoke City and get the double over them this season.

Then, who knows, we could be 5 points clear of Chelsea with four games to play

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Apr 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Some words of caution for the fans there then. Evidently those negative nasties from the crowd for obertan and willo and at times, if you remember, HBA, must have had quite an impact at times. I wonder if all the boo-boys who sent Obertan packing off the pitch side ever get to wonder they might have cost us a few points this season? Hmmm.

No doubt about it though the noise of late definitely puts an extra man on the pitch these days.

• 2 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

So Pardew honouree member of OV?

The fans have a big part to play in this run-in. I think it’s safe to say there may well come a game where we’re not performing and the team need us to get behind them. We could lose the next 6 and this still would of been a great season – Let’s be fully behind the team and help try and achieve something special – I appreciate I’m in Ibiza and not at SJP witnessing the game, but trust, I will be in full voice from here…you may even be able to hear me :)

• 3 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Tsunki…Sorry, did my post on the last thread come across as me rubbing it in? :)

• 4 Toon_Tom // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Codarm – next 5 ;)

• 5 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Toon_tom…Ahh yes…we’ve already managed that win – silly me :)

• 6 Tsunki // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Ibiza – don’t worry mate I’ll get over it. I’m off to Lanzarote for a week soon for some R&R. Me and the boy will miss the stoke game but usually find a live game feed in a bar somewhere. Last time we got a spot in a hotel bar that was empty save for five of us and two mackems at the 5under1and game. Magical, just magical. they spent all their gloating currency after they scored first, then had to take it all back five times over.

I am hoping that the ‘holiday bar effect’ maintains it’s influence over red and white striped outfits this time. After all, aren’t stoke actually twinned with s*nderland?

• 7 Toon_Tom // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

haha, maybe you were counting one of our Champions League qualifiers ;)

• 8 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Tsunki….Should be a good break. Twinned with Sunderland – what a disgusting thought ;)

Toon_Tom – That’s the one :) Certainly not a mistake in my maths

• 9 Toon_Tom // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Anyone else agree that Perchinho has honoured himself a place on the banner????

In replace of Lionel Best maybe?

• 10 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Toon_Tom…with the way the whole team are playing we may need a 2 row banner to get all of the superstars on there :)

• 11 Tsunki // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Yep go with a 2 row banner lets not forget the lads who kicked our season off.

• 12 Tsunki // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I mean, No Shola? :(

• 13 Benton Toon Exile // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Be patient…Mr Pardew we last won a trophy of any significance in 1969 which is 43 years ago…..

Believe me son, we are the most patient fans there is..LOL!

• 14 Toon_Tom // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

the 2 banner idea is a good one!

• 15 Tsunki // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

@13 I will be happy to see some trophy that’s marginally better than the Intertoepoke in my lifetime. yep, asking us to be patient is a bit like constantly reminding a dog to bark.

• 16 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’m sure Ed will love our ideas for improvement :)

“Can’t those bloody people just enjoy the site and leave me alone?”

Sorry Ed, love the site – great job!

• 17 martoon // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Tsunki – In the 5under1and game I thought we were 5-0 up and then they fluked a goal at the end or am I getting mixed up with a different game?

• 18 Tsunki // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Just thinking about the negativity thing and standing back for a moment – the temperature on this blog reflected the crowds mood at SJP around the crimbo period, not a great run of form, players not quite delivering, suspect-looking tactics and lacklustre displays. Apart from those obvious traits, maybe the fans felt frustrated not knowing which way things were being run, not being able to see the bigger picture, as they say? It’s a shame that some can’t hold their water and see out a bad run without suddenly turning on the lads, as Pards says it can be very destructive. But I can understand that frustration is borne out of sheer passion so maybe the ‘neggers’ shouldn’t be too reviled for that – if they didn’t care, they wouldn’t bother voicing their concerns would they? Steve Kean may have an expert view on that. ;)

I suppose it’s a lesson to us not to panic when we think we see the danger signs and start shouting the odds – we have all had moments of doubt about this player or that team sheet etc. so let’s hope that if the last games go badly, we can all still look at it realistically as a good job done. For me, the season is over as it stands now, the bath-ring producers are well below us, scousers wailing and crying in their mediocrity, pundits wriggling uncomfortably, the ‘big clubs’ wondering what they got for their money…… everything else is a bonus. :)

• 19 wynsleap // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Now really is the time to be patient even if things are looking tight. The difference is now that we have a front three that are likely to explode at any given time and clinch a tensely fought match.
    Now is not the time to grumble at, or even worse, boo our players.
    These lads deserve 101% backing continually as they are really capable of gunning for that fourth (or even third) spot. Who would have thought it?

• 20 catchy in norway // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM

tsunki

come on man, you could double the tallent obertan has and he still wonldnt be good enough, what he has, infact all he has is pace,

from day 1 you say the fact that fans could acctually see he wasnt good enough its there fault we didnt get a few more points, when those same fans were asking for HBA to play and pardew wouldnt for so many reasons,

obertan will never make it at any team in the prem, and i think he would even struggle in the championship,

sometimes the fans are right,

• 21 mickguk // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

martoon
    You are right it was 5-0 until the last minute then i think Darren Bent scored.

• 22 Sav // Apr 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM

The match commentary pair remarked the crowd was ‘strangely subdued’ on Sunday (until Hatem’s bit of genius, that is).
    You can’t win.

• 23 martoon // Apr 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

mickguk @21 – I thought so which means Tsunki @6 makes no sense!

• 24 Tsunki // Apr 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

martoon – he he you’re dead right I am getting my scores mixed up – bad night last night and me old brain is addled!

The mackems in question were gloating about their performance, how they were going to do us in etc, I will have to review but I think we had an early scare or two. I do actually remember how angry I was we’d conceded crappily at the end actually but by that time they were gone so no damage really. Thinking about it, I think I’ve done this before – it was on a camping holiday in scotland where I watched the Germany v England game and it was germans ( and some rabid scots) gloating over their lead – see what the mind does? Must stay away from that stuff!

previous post: The Number 9 Shirt Is A Monumental Honor For Me