How Yassa Made Papiss Cisse Happy At Newcastle

It’s amazing how quickly Papiss Cisse has settled in on Tyneside, and he cannot even speak English yet.

Yassa – a Senegal dish that Cisse just loves

So we have always chuckled over his first 9 games for Newcastle – he’s already scored 10 goals –  when referees go up to talk to him after a tackle or something, because he will have not a  clue what they are talking about.

But it’s not by chance that Papiss has settled so quickly on Tyneside, as all the summer signings did also, but the Newcastle club go out of their way to make their players feel at home.

Cisse is a good example, and he has talked about how the chef at Newcastle, Liz, prepared one of his favorite meals recently – called Yassa.

This is what Cisse said about what the club did for him:

“It was a Senegalese dish called Yassa, which I love,”  “I can’t cook it, but the chef at the club, Liz, did a really great job. It was fantastic. It is another example of how the club has made me feel so welcome and I appreciated it very much.”

“I spoke to Demba Ba before I came here and he told me how good it was. I saw them play and I thought, yes. It has been really easy to fit in. Everyone has helped me, especially the manager. “

“The other coaches and the players and directors have all made me feel very welcome and I felt at home straight away. It has not been difficult to settle in and be happy. It makes me happier when I score lots of goals and so far I have done that.”

It’s also helped that Demba  Ba, another Senegal International is also at the club, and has helped Cisse settle down quickly, although Ba seems to have had one or two problems recently with manager Alan Pardew, when he’s been substituted in the last two games.

But it’s a squad game, and everybody in the squad seems to be important to Newcastle these days, which is probably one reason the lads have been so phenomenally successful this season.

And it seems that Newcastle have got an absolute winner in Papiss Cisse, who the club signed for just £8M in January from SC Freiburg,  and we have to wonder how much he’s worth now.

He’s already proved himself worthy of that very famous number 9 shirt.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I could eat that after ten pints – someone should open up a Senegalese take-away.

• Vask

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:39 AM

What’s in it though? It looks tasty but it’s probably broiled lungs or summat.

• Vask

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Lemon Chicken, eh? I’d definitely have a bit of that?

• darrenfletcher88

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Great signing and sounds great work from all th staff!! A lad at works a spurs fan, and we were discussing are players and how many if them wud get a in top for side,Newcastle have went from hardly any to loads in one season, krul colo,cabaye, tiote,hatem,cisse,ba, spine of ya team!! Yes I no spurs are a top for side but like man u Chelsea and city,u no what I mean, Parker??bale? Modric?van der vart?Lennon?any one else?? Not a huge difference,what u think??

• Hatem's better than Messi

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM

@vask

Cabbage, onion, carrot and chicken, with a lemon and mustard vinaigrette.

• Benton Toon Exile

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Long may his scoring run continue.
    I do believe we can beat Stoke and Wigan, get a draw with City and Chelsea and go to Everton with our Champions League destiny in our hands!

• dinos

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Alright Lads, im new to the blog but have read it for ages so decided to join….
    anyone reckon they will start selling YASSA and chips at shearers?
    Cheik The Toastie, you listed Kenny Dogleish fave comedians in your last post…. you missed of the austrian bloke who did pretty well for himself in Germany in the 40’s

• Graeme

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Must admit, I prefer a good goat curry myself lol.
    It really is a very tastey dish