web analytics

Here’s Wishing And Hoping For A Liverpool Win On Saturday

If Liverpool beat local rivals Everton in the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday at Wembley then Newcastle will at least be in the Europa League next season.

Jonas Gutierrez – I still speak with Jose

That’s what could happen on Saturday, but when you look at the way Liverpool have been playing recently – hopeless –  we would have to say Everton are the favorites to win that game.

The latest prices from bet365 for the Liverpool v Everton semi-final game are:

Liverpool 6/4
Everton 15/8
Draw 9/4

And since whoever Everton will meet in the final if they get through – Chelsea or Tottenham – will probably qualify for the Champions League – Everton could get the 3rd place spot in the Europa League next season, maybe even at the expense of Newcastle.

But if Newcastle can finish in 5th place,  we’ll automatically get a Europa League position, and 4th place gets us a Champions League position, and both are very possible the way things stand right now.

Jonas Gutierrez, who we suppose is now the Newcastle official vice captain,  had this to say to the local press today about Liverpool’s Jose Enrique:

“It’s hard, but I speak with him. I said ‘you have to focus on the semi-final’.   “That can help us. If I was a Liverpool player, I would think the semi-final is more important than the league.”

“I spoke with Jose before and after the game. He’s a nice guy. They’re not having a good season, but they have good players.”  “They have the semi-final of the FA Cup.”

“They have to think about that, and be ready for the next season. There’s nothing they can do this season in the league.”  “There are a lot of teams taking good results.”

“All the season can change, and they could be brilliant next season. Pre-season is really important for all the teams.”

We’re not too bothered who makes the final between Chelsea and Tottenham, and we’ll be watching the game on Sunday,  but a draw would be a great result for Newcastle, because it would further add to Chelsea’s crowded schedule through the end of the season.

We’ll definitely be watching the FA Cup final on Saturday with bated breath,  and maybe the three former Newcastle players at Liverpool, Andy Carroll, Jose Enrique and Craig Bellamy can help us out – by playing well and helping Liverpool get the win, but of the three only Jose will probably start the game.

Here’s hoping for a Liverpool win. 😀

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM

WWJBD

A. We need back up gor Tiote
    B. He is the best box to box midfielder outside of Yaya Toure
    C. He scores goals
    D. He doesnt fit into Wigans tactics
    E. He will cost nothing
    F. He is a team mate of Cisse and Ba
    G. In 2014 there is no AFCON
    H. He is the type of player that would be unreal alongside Tiote as well as being backup.

I could go all the way to Z and back again if you want!

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I marvin Martin is a long term target of Carr n barca willing to let affelay go for as little as 6mill apparently, also wonder if there’s owt in the Eli rumours back in jan defo wants out of juve

• WWJBD

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Beattie
    Sorry like I don’t rate Diame that highly at all. And for fitting into Wigans tactics why wouldn’t we want players who don’t?

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Does anyone know if corgnet is similar type player to Martin am sure he is, gotta sneaky feeling we done the corgnet deal a few month back I also reckon butterfield, amalfitano n Douglas are done deals

• toonincheek

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Hoping to see the headline :

Carroll fires Toon into Europe.

But – even if Everton get to the final, they may not make it to Europe.
    If the FA Cup winners get CL, then the runners up get Europa.
    But – If the winners do NOT get CL, then they get Europa as winners.

So, if the FA Cup winners DON’T get CL through their league position, they get Europa.

So, if Spurs/Chelsea win the FA Cup and finish 5th, then 6th p[lace in the league gets Europa.

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM

WWJBD

Because we arent Wigan and we dont use their tactics.

He would be immense in our 4-3-3 formation and I expect you are in the minority of those who doesnt rate him.

It says something for the lad that we see him as a replacement for Tiote. Why not have them both?

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM

This is who we should b trying to sign youness belhanda

• LewSpi

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM

It’s alright fellas, I’m gonna back Everton on Saturday, just to make sure Liverpool get the win, going through a rough bit of luck at the minute with Mr. WillHill.

• WWJBD

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Beattie
    Didn’t say I don’t rate him just not that highly. Wigan play on the deek passing football surely the type of players we should be after.

Who says we see him as a Tiote replacement?

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM

davyb

I’d say that Corgnet is a similar type of player to Ryad Buodebouz. He is attack minded and gets forward as much as possible, not really creative in any sense. I’d love to see him AND Martin come along with Diame and then we would have the best midfield quintet this side of the nou camp.

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM

This lad as well Kevin mirallas can u imagine
    Hba cisse mirallas

Bet u can after watching this

• oo aa demba ba

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM

One things for sure with our summer singings, and that will be that we don’t find out until its pretty much a done deal. That has been our recent policy and it avoids other clubs being alerted and upping the price etc.

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

WWBJD

Thats the rumour mill. I agree that we should be looking for players that can pass it around.

If though we need to see a game out (for e.g. the Wolves game this year or Arsenal away) thern having Diame would be massivley benefical. I dont see Guti being our next DM and I prefer Perch in defense.

Diame is a quality player, and signing him on a free is a no brainer for me. Outside of tiote who can do his job to the same level? name one of our midfielders that is a box to box player? Diame offers that. I am not going to change your opinion, but please do not be dissapointed if we did sign him.

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Demba that’s why it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of our deals are already in place n done

• oo aa demba ba

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

davyb

I’m of the same thought, frustrating as a fan yes but its worth it. I can see another summer of 4 or 5 shrewd deals with a few already lined up and ready

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

davyb

He looks awesome

Belgium have got some super players coming through, they will win Euro 2016 for sure!

• LewSpi

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Davy I agree with you with the fact that I think we have already signed a few players, or rather that they are almost signed. With the Euros this year, I think the club will know the importance even more so than last year of doing early business, before all of our gems in the rough get uncovered on the international stage.

Also, Mirallas and Belhanda, yes please.

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM

davy b & oo aa

When was it the Cabaye announced he had signed for UNFC? That was May last year wasnt it? I expect similar things in the coming months.

• out of toon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM

2_goal_tino @9

great link – looking forward to the day (i wonder if he remembers???)

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

UNFC? Sounds like a wrestling organization. NUFC

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Cud u imagine this team team

Krul
    Debuchy douglas colo santon
    Belhanda tiote cabaye
    Hba cisse mirallas

Mouthwatering

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Beattie I cabaye was around may but it was rumoured for at least 2 month b4, but they clearly had it tied for a while, am thinking corgnet, amalfitano, butterfield, Douglas n Petiers could all b done

• WWJBD

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Beattie
    Haha I wouldn’t be disappointed mate he just not one I would be pushing for, still a decent player and a good back up for Tiote but in a ideal world we only need that back up during the ACoN so I would prefer to sign none african players. Would prefer some English ones if am totally honest.

• oo aa demba ba

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Beattie

Exactly, and Abeid was around the same time too

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Gotta b honest even this team has got me excited

Krul
    Santon Douglas colo Petiers
    Cabaye tiote corgnet
    Hba cisse marveux

• martoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Davy, Demba & Lewspi – I would not be surprised if nearly every deal (Inward) is already done because not only do you have the Euros in the summer but the Olympics after that. Presumably players we are interested in would be good enough to feature in one of those events.

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

davybtoon

I think so too

Judging by the way Erik Pieters is flirting with us on Twitter I would not be suprised to see him walk through the door.

I think by July 1st all our/most of the business will be done so that the players can relax (after the Euros), prepare for pre season and intergrate with one another. I honestly dont see any big names leaving and if Liverfool win on Staurday, this will be cemented.

• WWJBD

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Davy
    Ur dream team there has no english players

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM

WWJBD

I am sure there will be a numerousbatch of players coming in, and isnt it refreshing that we are hotly debating who will be walking through the door rather than who will be leaving?

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Defendes Douglas, Petiers, van dijk

Midfielders amalfitano, butterfield, corgnet, Martin/belhanda, diame

Strikers/wingers Rodriguez, knockaert, mirallas, Eli, Moses

Goalkeeper Ali el hasbi from Wigan

That would b pretty amazing summer

• Toon_Tom

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM

what you all seem to be forgetting is that whoever we happen to be strongly linked with …… we very rairly get them “over Pardew’s line”

We havent been linked with Messi tho 😉

I know people compare HBA with Messi now, but i disagree ……………. he is good but he is NO Benny 😉

• WWJBD

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Beattie
    Aye it makes a nice change though am still on edge about the coming summer just hoping for the best

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Wwjbd we don’t hav to hav English players in it jus in the squad plus krul is classed as home grown, but we have staylor, perch, rtaylor, shola, sammi, fergie, best, tavernier, willo, gosling add butterfield n Rodriguez to that n there’s ya English talent to put in the team

Also by the time abeid n Vukic are 21 they will also b classed as home grown

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

WWBJD

Krul is more or less a geordie.

I know there is a big thing about English players, but some just don’t have the quality. For me it matters not the nationality of the player as long as they do the badge proud. I would swap all the English players in the world for a trophy for NUFC.

It is just the changig landscape of football. First it was ‘there is no Gerodies in the team’ next it was ‘there are no English players’ and I am sure in the fututre it will be ‘where have all the humans gone?’. I would rather have 11 Mexicans playing with heart and passion, skill and flair, than 11 English players playing because they have to so they can earn 100k a week. It is not a generalization but I cannot think of many English players who would get into our team?!

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Wwjbd I honestly wouldn’t b To worried about the summer for one if we get Europe no one will want to leave to n 2 am getting used to fact that no matter who leaves Carr will hav found an amazing replacement from nowhere

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Beattie – still laughing from your ‘Heskey’ joke. Simple & low-impact but lingers on. that’s Heskey not the joke btw. Is he still 24? 😉

I have a feeling that our speculation will amount to the same as it has doen for the last 2 windows – wide of the mark. Deals must already have been done as Pards has already said that they are looking well beyond next season at team structure, so this years targets are sorted as far as they are concerned. they seem to have learned about contingencies form the Carroll / N’Somnia saga.

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM

davybtoon

That’s 16 players. And I thought I was mad ha ha

• martoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Beattie @69 – This may seem picky but on the last blog you posted

‘A lot of us are predicting ins, but what about the outs?

Who do you think will/should leave?

For me its:

Simmo
    Willo
    Guthrie
    Best’
    😉

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM

davybtoon – exactly, I have found I no longer lose sleep on who goes as it just means we have traded up imo. Any outgoing, including …dares to say it… Demba… will be compensated for, never fret!

• WWJBD

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Davy
    Wasent my point that we don’t need to have English players. We are a English PL team.