Here’s Wishing And Hoping For A Liverpool Win On Saturday

If Liverpool beat local rivals Everton in the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday at Wembley then Newcastle will at least be in the Europa League next season.

Jonas Gutierrez – I still speak with Jose

That’s what could happen on Saturday, but when you look at the way Liverpool have been playing recently – hopeless –  we would have to say Everton are the favorites to win that game.

The latest prices from bet365 for the Liverpool v Everton semi-final game are:

Liverpool 6/4
Everton 15/8
Draw 9/4

And since whoever Everton will meet in the final if they get through – Chelsea or Tottenham – will probably qualify for the Champions League – Everton could get the 3rd place spot in the Europa League next season, maybe even at the expense of Newcastle.

But if Newcastle can finish in 5th place,  we’ll automatically get a Europa League position, and 4th place gets us a Champions League position, and both are very possible the way things stand right now.

Jonas Gutierrez, who we suppose is now the Newcastle official vice captain,  had this to say to the local press today about Liverpool’s Jose Enrique:

“It’s hard, but I speak with him. I said ‘you have to focus on the semi-final’.   “That can help us. If I was a Liverpool player, I would think the semi-final is more important than the league.”

“I spoke with Jose before and after the game. He’s a nice guy. They’re not having a good season, but they have good players.”  “They have the semi-final of the FA Cup.”

“They have to think about that, and be ready for the next season. There’s nothing they can do this season in the league.”  “There are a lot of teams taking good results.”

“All the season can change, and they could be brilliant next season. Pre-season is really important for all the teams.”

We’re not too bothered who makes the final between Chelsea and Tottenham, and we’ll be watching the game on Sunday,  but a draw would be a great result for Newcastle, because it would further add to Chelsea’s crowded schedule through the end of the season.

We’ll definitely be watching the FA Cup final on Saturday with bated breath,  and maybe the three former Newcastle players at Liverpool, Andy Carroll, Jose Enrique and Craig Bellamy can help us out – by playing well and helping Liverpool get the win, but of the three only Jose will probably start the game.

Here’s hoping for a Liverpool win. 😀

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Beattie lol yea getting carried away of course they all won’t come in am expecting at least 6/7 not mention we ditched nearly 12 reserve players so am expecting a lot of youth to b signed

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Tsunki

I remeber last Summer we were being linked with £10 million bids for N’somnia and Tarabbt. I reckon we could get one or the other for about £3 million. I would take Tarrabt like, but N’somnia can go and take a dive for all I care, and you know what, if he was anywhere near the box he would do.

• out of toon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM

i agree with you beattie – we all know that the management team aren’t gonna change their transfer policy so you look at good players going on the cheap – diame is a standout in that list for me.

also i do like this kevin mirallas (never seen him before…The Belgians look dangerous… many many good players and might even be worth a tenner at the euros as an outsider)
    jefferson farfan
    belhanda
    alan dzagoev

just watching citeh play last night got me thinking we need a few more creative players as well as a midfield general (diame)
    any of the above -mirallas included- would fit the bill

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

WWJBD

We play in the English PL against Welsh opposition. Thats modern football for ya

• oo aa demba ba

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

English talent is ridiculously overpriced now anyway, look over the last few years:

Carroll 35, Downing 20, Henderson 20, Johnson 17/18, Milner 24, Barry 12, Jones 15 was it?, Smalling 10 or so.

For one of those prices Carr would have an absolute field day in France/Holland bringing in 2/3 quality players who are hungry to prove themselves in bigger leagues like the premier league

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Definite outs:

Smith
    Xisco
    Ranger
    Lovenkrands
    Any perennial reservists / academy underacheivers

Head turners / wage drainer outs:

Gosling
    Guthrie
    Simmo

• Dannyo

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

So we’re on about who we will be getting in the summer then?
    Don’t start, i’m drooling already.
    Pieters for LB, M’Biwa for CB, Hoilett in who can play as RW/Striker, and Boudebouz as a more pure RW winger.
    That’s just adding to what we have outside Smith, Loven, Xisco. Anyone else i want to replace.

• LewSpi

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I understand both sides, I would LOVE nothing more than to see 11 geordies on the pitch winning week in week out. I admire how Barcelona have a load of players from Barcelona (all world class) and the admiration they have for that club is incredible.

But I think over the next few years, the club just needs to focus on building reputation/money then it can focus on local/english youth development. What was the name of the scout who was recently appointed local talent spotter? Hopefully he isn’t just sat around playing with himself all day and he’s actually being productive.

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Tsunki what ppl also fail to forget is the moment say a demba or tiote ask to leave that’s the moment I no longer want them bcoz there not 100% committed to the club, when a player is sold its not always jus ma n dl trying to make money ppl forget sometimes the players actually want to move on, like Jose his head was in Liverpool about 6month b4 he went there

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Beattie – lol you do that ‘remeber’ thing that I do – it shows that you are thinking way ahead of your typing! That’s what I say to myself anyway 😉

Yeah Insomnia is a nut-job and can take a slow slide down the crapper for all I care. To think that some reckon he was ‘considering’ coming back to us ha ha what a tool.

• davybtoon

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Jus on the 11 Geordies that’s we’re our youth system has to improve n that’s why u will the likes of tavernier, dummitt, streete n Campbell coming through bcoz pardew has already stated he wants a core of Geordie talent in the squad

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

davybtoon @89 – I know you meant ‘fail to remember’ lol but yes that is exactly the point – any player that gets sold rarely goes by being dragged kicking and screaming to their new club. If HBA says he has ‘no choice but to go’ then bye bye Benny, thanks for the youtube videos and wheel the next, even better, one in.

Play for the shirt. You’ll still be a very rich little boy.

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

On the 11 geordies

It is not just the toon that has trouble at youth level, it the entire English game

• WWJBD

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Beattie
    Maybe so but most of their players are English, inexpensive and very tidy so it can be done

• Twatter

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Marvin Martin’s form has gone downhill recently and his star has waned as a result. This might be a good time to go in for him as he’s not going to be in as much demand. As for Diame, although I rate him highly I don’t really think we should be continuing to sign African players that are at risk of not being available for ACoN when we already have a large and important contingent of African players that will not be present.

I would like to see Jay Rodriguez and Cognet come in; I still believe however that strengthening of the defence is the most important issue and although I can’t see us going for wingers I think we could do with the likes of Affelay or Belhanda. (Highly unrealistic). I think Moses is more our kind of buy and I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t do a good job on the opposite side to Ben Arfa with Cissé in the middle. Pretty deadly counterattacking in the supreme pace of Moses and Ben Arfa combined with the deadly finishing of Cissé.

• Sazzer

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I think it’s funny that if Guthrie and Simmo were playing for some other team in the league and Newcastle would be interested. A lot of people would be – Yeah, definitely buy that guy!
    So excited for next season:
    Krul
    Simmo S.Taylor Colo Santon
    Tiote Gutrie
    so forth…

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Tsunki

What happened to just getting rich and living comfertably?

Modern day footballers only care about getting richer.

40k a week over a 10 year career and I’d be more than set for life. It wouldnt matter if Man Ure went heres 150k a year, your still rich whats it going to buy you that you cannon already afford. I’m sure most footballers find playing the game a chore. Before Rooney went to Man Ure I thought he had the potential to be the best player ever produced by this country, he went, got rich at a young age, got arrogant and has never fulfilled that potential.

Messi plays because he loves the game and his wage matches his talent but I am sure if he went unnoticed, played for Tenerife B side and made 100 euros a week he’d still love the game.

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

You can see the idea of the 11 geordie theory but in practice it would and should not happen – competition form playing talent around the world keeps the standards high for local kids. The problem in the past has been the ‘Big Club’ thing of over indulging in foreigners at most levels, in order to plunder CL cash at the cost of the English grass roots future, virtually drowning local produce out. Scottish football is just now starting to revive from that awful experiment by the Old Firm coupled with a shoddy academy system.

The feeling I get from the clearout at NUFC is that ALL perennial hangers on go, English, Hungarian or whatever. In comes a mix of real new talent, not just seeming bargain-box locals and hyped up eastern-europeans. I expect anyone who doesn’t knock on the first team door by the time they are 18 will quickly ply their trade in the lower leagues.

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Sazzer

Sorry but I wouldnt

• LooneyToon41

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

@86. Xisco won’t be leaving, as he still has 1 yr left on his contract, so will be out on loan another year, with NUFC picking up the majority of his wages. Smith and Krands will be off.
    Everytime i’ve seen Hoilett recently, he really impresses. I’ve previously posted that we had no chance in signing him, but maybe…. just maybe…

• LewSpi

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Players barely cost a penny if you get them when they’re kids, and I mean kids, proper kids. The thing is, if we utilize it, then we can be one of the lucky clubs in England…

Isn’t it County Durham which is the County with the highest amount of Premiership players originating from it? Gold dust. Need to get ourselves across to the Downhill league across at Seaham (if its still going), that’s where most of the County Durham teams play, although, you run the risk of signing up little gremlins from the heart of hell itself.

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Beattie –

“What happened to just getting rich and living comfertably?”

You know what happened. A very greedy man who doesn’t particularly care about football, and has no knowledge of the concept of loyalty, spoke to these players and said – ‘I know how to make you even richer than you are now, but for that I want 10%, because I want to be far richer too’. I hate that guy, I really despise him.

• check the toastie

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Personally if we had an influx of money (Tiote or Ba sale) i wud go stright out and offer Everton 7/8 million for baines, (hes the business) also wud fancy sessegnon, hav no chance of getting him but if we had champions league football it might be the carrot, (it wud be funny to nick their only threat).
    Douglas looks great and some attacking cultured midfelder with loads of pace, to play with Mr T and Face in an attacking midfield 3. For me Abied needs a chance next year and after pre-season he will be tiotes back-up, no need for Diame(if he signs gud) but he will hold our young uns back.

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

WWJBD

And they are languishing in 14th place whilst we are in joint 4th

Tidy players do a job, quality players win you games

• VanToonMan

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Regarding our lineup for the final 3 really trough games….does anyone else think we should keep Santon at LB and play Perch instead of Guthrie in the middle 3. So our team would be this:

Simpson————-Willo————Collo————-Santon

————–Tiote————-Perch—————Cabaye——–

Ben Arfa———————-Cisse———————Ba———-

It means our centre mid will be more solid as Perch is a better defensive player than Guthrie….and it gives Cabaye a much more free licence to attack and push up.

Thoughts guys?

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Tsunki

Are you talking about Jerry Maguire?

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Sazzer – definitely not Guthrie. And probably not Simmo, for the reasons I’ve bored all and sundry to death about before.

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Beattie – yep but without the ‘Mission Statement’ Ha!

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Vantoonman

I would say that in away games Perchino is our man but in the home games we should put Perch in a CB for Willo and bring Guthrie in

• 2_goal_tino

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

This 11 geordies thing is absolute nonsense! It will never happen. It is not about improving our youth system it is about improving the whole countries grassroots football which is an issue well beyond the scope of NUFC.

Furthermore people need to stop confusing youth products with being Geordies.

e.g from the list davybtoon provided @91 only Campbell and Streete (born in Aylesbury raised in south shields) are from the area. Dummitt = welsh, Tavernier = Bradford, Ferguson = Northern Irish.

Just because they are British and from our youth system does not automatically make them locals! That is why as far as I’m concerned Krul and Vuckic, although Dutch and Slovenian, are as Geordie as Ferguson.

I do think it is important to have some locals in the team to show the passion required to the rest of the team ( as Saylor and Shola do) but talk of having a team made of locals is completely ridiculous. A team of players progressing through the academy and reserves would be ideal though.

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

VanToonMan – does it for me,, though I’d be tempted to play Cabs down the middle so he can get up forward more – he’s due a wonder strike with that sweet foot. Perch and Tiote can get hold of the entire mid by the nads anyway on their own 🙂

Guthrie ughhhh not going to say it..

• Toon_Tom

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Van – Id play Jonas in that role!!!

• Toon_Tom

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Simpson————-Willo————Collo————-Santon

————–Tiote————-Cabaye—————Jonas——

Ben Arfa———————-Cisse———————Ba——

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

2_goal_tino – yes it’s one of those ideas that look good at first….

I do think that a core of local lads would keep the identity and passion of the area in tune with the team though. But of course, it’s not a necessary requirement, as long as your heart is in the right place, as you say, like Tim Krul’s.

• Beattie25

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Ha ha ha

Anyone seen that Anelka has been made manager of Shanghai? They apperently sacked Jean Tigana after bad results!

• Tsunki

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Toon_Tom – forgot about Jonas! yours works as well, but maybe Jonas could do with a rest / sub spell? I was actually thinking specifilly about the Stoke game as they are virtually a mini-unwashed bunch of thugs and neanderthals. Nothing personal.

• LewSpi

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM

2 goal tino.

I think, you think people are more serious about the 11 geordies thing than they actually are. Everybody knows it wouldn’t be possible, as I said, Barcelona have an incredible amount of ‘locals’ in their team, as do Athletic Bilbao, but of course not all of their players are from Catalonia e.g. Messi.

But just because he has been there since he was like 11 or 12, doesn’t make him a local, as he’s not from Barcelona, just like Krul isn’t from Newcastle, so despite him perhaps being an ‘adopted Geordie’, he will never be from Newcastle or the surrounding area, that can’t be changed.

I think the 11 geordies thing was more of a light hearted comment than a ‘this is what we need’ sort of thing.

• Toon_Tom

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Tsunki – yeah i agree but i would much rather play Cabaye throught the middle, and wouldnt like Perchinho in that LCM role.

So yes yours would work if Perchy was to get the nod!

• Twatter

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

People under-rate Guthrie and over-rate Cabaye. It’s not as clear cut as “Cabaye’s fantastic” and “Guthrie’s shit”. I’ve seen many games where Cabaye has been ineffective and the game has simply drifted by him. I think some of you are drawn too much to the nationalities of players. If they’re french you get more excited by them even if they aren’t doing that much.

To be fair Cabaye has picked up his form in recent games and has been worthy of the praise handed to him for once this season, but stop with the Guthrie bashing. He’s a very dependable player when played in position and, when in form, arguably offers more than Cabaye. We should be trying our hardest to keep Guthrie as back-up at the club because it’s not guaranteed that we could find an adequate replacement.

• WWJBD

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Beattie
    I wouldn’t say languishing, small squad and not much to play for have knocked their season a bit but I take ur point. Still think we shouldn’t be so quick to drop our English players, Saylor and Simmo have done nothing to deserve the chop imo plus Guthrie when starting games has been one of the better CMs in the league