The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pressure Now Off Newcastle Players – Go All Out For 4th Place

11:11 am, Sunday, April 15th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 222 Comments

If there’s one good thing about Alan Pardew it’s that the Newcastle manager is down to earth.

Alan Pardew – fantastic job done buy Newcastle manager this season

Alan will not get carried away by Newcastle almost certainly qualifying for the Europa League next season.

But we could very well hear the manager soon say that the new target  is to qualify for the Champions League, and that’s not beyond Newcastle either, being only one point out of 4th place at the moment.

To show how real Alan is – he was asked by the reporters recently whether he’d like to stay long term at Newcastle –  and he calmly uttered he’d stay at the club just as long as Newcastle were winning.

That’s so very true, such is the results oriented business of  being a football manager these days.

Alan is also clear that this had not to be a flash in the pan for Newcastle, and they have to do it all over again next season, and the season after that.

Alan is quite prepared to do it all again, and he was asked if he was determined to do it again next season:

“Of course I am, and not just that – we have been down to the bones with about eight big first-team players in the treatment room.”

“But the squad has just come through absolutely brilliantly, and it just sums us up, what we have been about all year, and we must never lose that.”

“It’s important that the players understand that this is a new team, but we have got to do it again next year.”

“It is not just about this year, it’s about doing it every week, and that’s what we as a coaching staff try to drill into our players. Every week, every game, we ave got to be at our best and at the minute, we are.”

This has been an amazing season so far, and most of us are still pinching ourselves, to make sure it’s all real.

But the last thing Newcastle will do is to take their foot off the accelerator,  in the last five games of the season.

And Europa League qualification should even take the pressure off the Newcastle players, so they can now go all out to finish 4th top in the league.

And they can even achieve what seemed impossible last August – qualify for a Champions League position – and some of us were hoping we’d just avoid relegation this season.

What a story this can now become for Newcastle United. :D

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Europa League · European Champions League · European Competition · Newcastle News

222 responses so far ↓

• 1 magpie6699 // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM

The waiting for 6th place is killing me! I like things to be definite. Everton have a far easier run in than us and are just behind us in the current form table- the one exception being they play Man U next weekend. When we are sure of 6th I’ll start thinking higher, not before.

• 2 Rotonda heights // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM

from a previous thread,

Jimmy

The Ashley model is proving very successful for not only us but a lot of other clubs, ie Lyon and Dortmund. Due to their fantastic scouting system, if they sell one ofr stupid money, they bring in another even better for less money. I’d rather have Ashley a proven billionaire than any of us who think we know and could do better.

• 3 kilcline // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Today i pray for serious injuries and suspensions to Spurs and Chelsea players.

• 4 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM

rotonda spot on teams like dortmund n valencia have proven that this model works, yes u will lose some top players every now n again but like u say its all down to brilliant scouting system they lose there top stars but they hav unkown younger talent coming through who they always turn into the next set of stars

• 5 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

now we hav europa league i honestly think we will take 4th place

• 6 ~Perchinho the Pheonix~ // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Can’t see United losing to Everton next weekend. United will be eager to keep the distance between them and City to a minimum of 5 pts so that even if they lose against City, they are still top.

And if the worse case scenario occurs, we play everton last game of the season.

• 7 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM

we have europa league confirmed for me we only need 4pts if everton were to win all there games n like u say there at man utd next week so that 4pts jus dosent even come into effect for me

• 8 LewSpi // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Despite the obvious advantages such as bragging rights over the unwashed, I don’t think I’d like us to get champions league next year. I know we have a good team and we will improve over the summer, but I just don’t think the infrastructure of our club is at the right level yet, Europa league definitely, but not champions league, not just yet.

Also Davy and Rotonda above, whilst I fully support ‘The Ashley model’ and love how it is working for us, there is one huge and fatal flaw which I think people are missing…

It doesn’t work if every club does it.

If every club are disregarding the overpriced ‘stars’ and searching for hidden gems, pretty soon the whole ethos of the market is flipped upside down and lesser known players carry large price tags, it’s simple supply and demand. This will particularly be spurred on by these mythical Financial Fair play rules which will see more clubs adopting our approach.

This system, it has a lifespan, is what I’m trying to say I think, we do however have a huge advantage that we are implementing it 3 or 4 years before other teams, our foundations are pretty much set, which means we will be big players when this time comes around.

• 9 JC148 // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Kilcline, you’re seriously saying, after all the Pray4Muamba stuff, Aaron Ramsey, Ben Arfa etc, that you’re PRAYING for serious injuries? You need your head screwing on mate, there’s things more important than where we finish in the league.

• 10 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

this saturday could b such big day in terms of top 4 arsenal v chelsea is 12.45 kick off hoping for arsenal win, then we play stoke 3.00pm kick off nufc win would put us 4th take 5pts clear of chelsea n 3pts clear of spurs putting real pressure on spurs to get a result away to qpr in 5.30pm kick off

• 11 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM

lewspi the thing is though there is always new talent coming through not to mention to growth of lesser leagues around the world meaning a whole new area to try n discover talent, not to mention weve got one of the best scouts in the business in graham carr
    i mean jus hav to look at this season weve scouting the french second division heavily to unearth talent from there
    clubs like dortmund, lyon n valencia do it year after year

• 12 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM

we need the club to b run like this n making profit the major differnce being mike ashly runs a chain of sports n hasnt a limitless pot of cash, man citys owners own n run a country n of a bottomless pit of cash from oil, n if they get bored man city will b in the crap bcoz there spending money the club hasnt got, were as we are only spending the money were making

• 13 sweendog // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM

lewspi .. champions league .. come on thats worth 20+ mill .. plus every player wants to play there .. the club could move 2/3 years ahead of schedule with that .. maybe push for champions league every year and then the league title/FA cup as the team should have improved.. still hypothetical but to be in the champions league is a HUGE plus.

• 14 beddersmag // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Agree with lewspi in that champs league might be bridge too far. Wouldnt mind if dont make it but the cash it would generate is the big plus. However, couldnt win it imo and as a fan id love to see us have a good run in the ueropa. Also, correct me if im wrong but i was told that champs league play off losers do not automatically go into ueropa? So could be out of europe early doors if go down that route. Might be better to go into ueropa where i belive it is a league format and a few games guaranteed? Someone let me know if that is correct?

• 15 sweendog // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I’m more worried about europa since theres more games and usually further afield .. still its all good for the club if organised right .. it is great to be a Toon fan at the moment :-)

• 16 WLtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

We have the makings of a class team,its unbelievable what Pardew AND Carr has done.
    Ile keep my fingers crossed that they dont have to start all over again in the summer.

• 17 KuwaitiMAGPIE // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

i still think we could beat chelsea at stanford bridge.. they are not as strong as they used to be … and they haven’t faced ben arfa yet

• 18 sweendog // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I remember the days of Keegan/Robson/Dogleish and champions league nights .. would Love it if we get to play teams like Milan/Barca

• 19 Szarka // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM

LewSpy: Are modell in the market isnt going to spred. Big clubs buy big talents, or well known players, dont look for gems. They buy players when they are in the focus. Its costs a lot, but they have the money to spend. Arsenal using the so called buy gems modell, yet nobody started to make it that way.

About CL: Everybody wants CL, because it lifts your pocket. U win even if U just play a few qualifier. EL is another thing, as it only comes surplus after the group stages. but CL pay well. It would be a stupid think not to reach the CL. And without Europe, players wont sign contracts.

• 20 jimmymagpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Thanks for the craic lads – bloo-y good points made this morning, on all sides, and no personal mud slinging, that’s how it should be, after all, we all want the same thing. Believe me, since I saw my first game in 1948, I’ve paid my dues in blood, sweat,tears,time, and finance. I know that i might appear a bit impatient sometimes, but that is only bacause I don’t have the time left that most of you have, and I would love to see my team win just one more FA Cup before my number is called, in fact, any trophy would do.Anyway, must go, thanks once again for the healthy debate. HTL!

• 21 LewSpi // Apr 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Davy you’re right, there are always players coming through, I’m not disputing that, my point is that if it is them players which every club wants, then their price goes up, like i said it is basic economics. You are right however that emerging leagues etc. will provide more targets for clubs to go at, which will certainly help. And with regards to Carr, I really hope he has a youn apprentice going around with him, because we all praise him to the high heavens, but let’s be realistic, the guys 68/69 and won’t be around forever.

Sweendog, I agree if you have a good run in the champions league, the advantages of this are way higher than Europa. But can you see us progressing past the group stages of champions league? I just think a good solid run in the Europa would be potentially more advantageous than potentially a shorter one in the champions league.

Please don’t mistake me for a ‘negger’, I am firmly behind the club in everything that it does, I love how Ashley, Pards and the players have turned us around in 2 seasons, its incredible, I’m simply trying to make some points which I think people may not have thought of. I’m not saying you have to agree with me.

• 22 tdt // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

We’re actually joint 4th with Spurs Ed, not a point behind them.

However I think you’re referring to our goal difference as being like a point less, which is fair enough.

Saturday is another massive day for that 4th spot… hoping for Arse to beat Chelsea, us to crush Stoke, and QPR to rip Spuds a new one.

That would be a productive day’s play!

• 23 magpie6699 // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Isn’t it great to be worrying about which Eurpean Competition we might get in rather than whether we might get sucked into a relegation dogfight or how to keep up mid-table interest. (Unlike most Mackems, finishing above or below them in the table is not the be-all and end-all to a Toon fan! But thanks for the 4 points – shame it wasn’t 6 again this season!)

• 24 G // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Still can’t believe how far my expectations of this season have been exceeded. I know it’s a bit early to rest on our laurels, however, I expected us to be fighting for 8th, not sitting just outside the top 4 with a real chance of being able to snatch a spot! With another 4 points we are mathematically guaranteed 6th spot. That’s some achievement from the lads.

• 25 rich_toonfan // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Jimmy.. clubs have to break even over a 3 year period starting 2012-2015….if they dont do this they face fines and then bans from european competition.

Some things are excluded from the finances such as developing youth facilities and supporting the local area with development, but transfers, wages, all of that have to be balanced by money in.

I don’t think clubs will do it as I think UEFA will not ban teams like city, chelsea, man utd, barcelona etc as sponsors would pull out of the tournament and it would cost UEFA too much.

They might punish lesser teams with a lesser fan base but will not punish the top european clubs.

• 26 thebionicMAG // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Spot on Jimmy. I cant stand it when people get over emotional and way too personal.
    You’re right, we are all fans of NUFC and we all want the same thing, the fact we have different opinions should not result in mud slinging.

• 27 Pecorino ( will let you figure it out) // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM

lads are we in EUROPE :)))!)!)!)!”O=!”)!()T/T(TS(DT

CL is a step to far WAAYY to soon swuad is paper thin…. next years one or two injuries could mean we coudl ruin our league position..

EUROPE is more than good enough for now and a PERFECT base to build the team for a CL charge….

I AM OVER THE DAMN MOON…

• 28 cestriasteve // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Szarka, I was just thinking the same thing, also big teams dont take risks ! lets face it at the start of the season we took a few big risks. Proven champions League teams just dont do that. I hope those agents we are currently dealing with for the close season get any ideas and start asking silly money for players because we are currently up there challenging. Also wonder where we would have been with Steven Taylor and Marveaux fit ?

• 29 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

well am very excited about the future of this club its no flook weve made europe this year weve been top7 all season

• 30 bills-son // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Re earlier posts about Ashley’s business model for NUFC, the abuse Ashley was getting even 3 months ago after the ground re-naming was way, way, overboard.

It is only now that we are serious Champs Lge contenders, with our flair players bang on form and Pards managing the squad brilliantly that fans are truly starting to see the big picture.

Make NO mistake, where we are now has nothing to with luck. It has everything to do with Ashley’s planning, strategy, ambition and determination. The buck ALWAYS stops with guy at the top. ALWAYS.

It wasa Ashley who appointed Pardew, Ashley who screwed LPool for £35M for AC, Ashley who set the transfer policy of finding quality at low prices, Ashley who dictated that we should buy the majority of foreign players from one country so that they could communicate and have the same culture (unlike say Citeh where its like the United Nations), Ashley who has cut the wages to turnover ratio from a bamkruptcy heading 80%+ to just over 50%, and Ashley who has lent the club £140M interest free.

Fans who don’t give Ashley any credit, who say its all luck, all down to Carr, that tht’ll never forgive him for the Keegan affair, or sacking Hughton etc., etc., etc., are biting the hand that is feeding us the best chance of success since Keegans team in the 90?s.

BUT … let’s not forget … Keegans team as exciting as they were … won NOWT.

IMO the owners, management, coaching staff and scouting staff are FAR BETTER than the set up we had under John Hall and Keegan. We have players like Ba, Cisse, HBA, Krul, Colo, STaylor, Santon, Tiote who are a match (if not better in some cases) for Ferdinand, Ginola, Srnicek, Peacock, Batty, Barton and Gillespie … all good players but still won nowt.

I know this team has won nowt yet. BUT, I have far more confidence in out tactical awareness, organisation, meticulous transfer policy and team spirit than I ever did under Hall and Keegan.

I was totally confident before the last 5 matches that we would win. I have NEVER as a Toon fan felt so confident of winning games in my 50 years as a Toon fan. And its a BRILLIANT feeling, absolutely fkn brilliant.

This club is really going places, and I don’t think there are many fans who would disagree with that. There is an excitement that finally … after nearly 50 years of winning nowt … THIS could be the manager, the team and THE OWNER to break that milklstone round our necks.

And all I am saying is this …

Let’s give Ashley some credit eh? Remember, when he first came he wore the shirt, drank in the Strawberry and stood on the terraces with the fans. How nany owners have done that? Nor the Americans at LPool, the Yanks at ManU or the sheiks at Citeh thats for sure. And why did Ashley do that? Because he’s one of us, he’s a FOOTBALL FAN, which the aforementioned owners are not.

Yes he made mistakes early doors, yes he wanted to sell the club … BUT since he decided to keep it after relegation he has been determined to make us successful. AND IT’S WORKING.

Everybody, you, me and even a hard hearted businesman like Ashley likes to be appreciated for doing their best. Apart from the renaming of the ground there isn’t a decision Ashley has made in the last two years that, although controversial and widely criticised at the time, hasn’t turned out to be RIGHT. I am absolutely convinced that if Ashley heard his name chanted in appreciation – yes I KNOW THAT IS ALMOST UNTHINKABLE TO SOME FANS – he would redouble his efforts to bring success and a trophy to our beloved Toon.

He is is still the same guy who wore the shirt, drank in the Strawberry and stood on the terraces. He’s made mistakes, but he’s gone a hell of a long way to saying sorry in his own way. And that way is not to spout off, not to criticise the fans to journalists, not to laud it because we are doing well. No – Ashley’s way is just to let the team do the talking for him. That is the class way to do it.

ALAN PARDEW … manager of the year by a mile.

MIKE ASHLEY … owner of the year by a million miles.

• 31 rich_toonfan // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

@lewspi

i think champs league is better, the games being on a tuesday and wednesday seems to effect teams less than playing thursday.

Also, if we got to the group stages it would allow us to get our name around europe.

I dont think we would win either, there are much better teams than us in both competitions so i would rather lose to barcelona than i would to a lesser side.

• 32 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM

i dont think champions league wud b too much of course against real, barca, bayern n milan we cud b shown up but i think we cud hold our own against most of the teams in it

• 33 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM

• 34 Yorkgeordie // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I wish people would stop counting their chickens.
    We have 59 points, Everton can get 62 and Liverpool can get 61. To say the pressure is off is just plain daft and asking for the southern press to have a field day. We can still finish 8th.

• 35 MagpiesFlyHigh // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Bill-son

Are you on a retainer with MAs PR machine ?

I reckon CL would be okay for us. We’d get the group stage games and if we parachuted into the Europa then we’d have got some really good experience and given Pardiola a chance to learn European tactics as the style will be different. The longer the learning curve we have the better our chances of success in a year or two.

• 36 Wor Shearer // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Off topic. Does anyone know who’s going to pick the England squad for the Euros?

• 37 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM

magpiesflyhigh good point that like if we finished 3rd in a champions league group we would go into europa league haha its so good to b talking about europe again

european nights at sjp are amazing

• 38 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

wor shearer as it stands stuart pearce will pick the squad n take them to the euros

• 39 2_goal_tino // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I can’t believe some of the stuff I’m reading. I’m delighted with Europa but CL is the dream. I can’t buy this we don’t have the infrastructure for champions league we are a champions league club in everything but out team. I mean compare us with the likes of APOEL. We won’t win either and I’d personally prefer losing in Madric or Barca than drawing in some cold provincial eastern European city against a team all of us have only ever heard of through Football manager. Furthermore, Europa would be more damaging to our league position given the excessive number of games, the fact it starts in July, games are on Thursdays and because generally more travelling is involved. CL is the pinnacle of world club football- it would be a dream and honour to be in it again. Face it Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will all spend fiercely to ensure reestablishing the advantage over us. We may not have this opportunity again for a decade or so!

• 40 WWJBD // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Can’t we just all leave it at this ‘I don’t care about Ashley, he don’t care about me, All we care about is NUFC’?

Seems fairly simple for me. He keeps out of the headlines and we stay off his shrinking back. Don’t see why I should praise him all that much though if my paper boy wiped his backside with my sunday paper every week for a year then started delievering it clean I wouldn’t start chanting his name

• 41 Dannyo // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

@WWJBD
    I’m all for that :P

Imo, it’s still too early judge MA on a whole, he’s taken us down, he’s taken us up, and now he’s taking us to Europe.
    It’s whats commonly known as a roller coaster ride.

We need to see more from him over an even greater number of years. It’s hardly been a stable 4-5 years, so it’s incredibly hard to judge a person. Atleast give him 3 more, then we’ll start to notice a pattern.

We’re not yet a selling club imo, and it remains to be seen how well we can keep hold of our star players.

Same goes for AP, next year will show his true colors even more.

• 42 achtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM

As I said in my earlier comment, a number of clubs tried to challenhe the fair play rules through the european courts and lost. Clubs are now realising it going to happen. Barcelona and real are looking to pay up on years of unpaid tax, chelsea will rename their stadium if they cant move to a larger stadium. Manure have got sponsorship for their reserves.

• 43 Up N Hatem // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Any one who is saying they’d Europa ahead of the CL mustn’t realise just how big a difference in income there is! If you get into the CL you’re pretty much guaranteed 40 million from it! And as our books are pretty much balanced that could be invested straight into our playing squad.

Also those saying our squad isn’t big enough for CL but it is for Europa, with the Europa league you start much earlier and have to play on Thursday’s rather than Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s which makes a big difference. I’m also pretty sure you end up playing just as many games if not more in the Europa than the CL!

Finally if we do get the CL and into the group stages who’s to say we couldn’t get 3rd in our group and get put into the Europa and give it a real go to try and win it!

Either way it’s been a bloody brilliant season!!! HWTL!

• 44 sweendog // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

bills-son .. pardew fair enough .. ashley .. owner of the year ..hmm .. a few years from now if we’re consistently challenging, and the stadium keeps its name – fortress St James Park.. then maybe

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Apr 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Bills-son
    What will you do with your latex Ashley dolls when he finally sells up,will you hold and cherish them or rip them to shreds in a spurned lovers rage ?

• 46 toonincheek // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Putting the club on a sound financial footing has been hard, but it had to be done, so I don’t blame Ashley too much for that. But it did mean that Pardew had the odds stacked against him.

But he’s come through it all and created a great team.

Being a manager is all about geting the best out of the players – that’s what he has done and that’s why we are where we are.

Some help from Ashley, Yes, like signing Cisse but he didn’t make much money available before then.

• 47 toonincheek // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM

JfA – I guess being strangled by an Ashley latex doll would be too god for Ashley?

• 48 achtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I watched us play barcelona in the nou camp for a champions league game and I can honestly say it was two of the best days of my life. Everything from emptying mini bars and not paying, geordies taking over a strip bar and dancing on stage, playing football in a square off las rambles with spaniards running up and down the strip carrying beer kegs to keep us supplied. I dont care if the team isnt ready for it. I am.

• 49 2_goal_tino // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

UpNHatem-Exactly, Europa is a much bigger strain on the squad than champions league, even before you factor in the much greater benefits you get from competing in CL. Nearly every English team in effect forfeits Europa or complains about it. Even Stoke who hadn’t been in Europe since the early 1970s played a reserve team against Valenica.

• 50 Pardew's fist pump // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Could someone do some research into the name of DL’s fathe?, I have a hunch it’s Bill. ;)

• 51 Pardew's fist pump // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM

*father?

• 52 rich_toonfan // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM

The thing is this year ashley has done exactly what is expected of a good owner.

The players he has moved on he has got for decent money for and he has signed some good players for a relatively modest fee. He has also used funds when needed, signing cisse in january gave the club a huge boost.

The main thing he has done though is let pardew and the scouting team identify targets and left the manager to sort the team himself.

Too many owners like Abramavich spend their time getting involved in signings and trying to influence the managers team selection.

Ashley has just done what is expected of him. He isn’t stupid and he knows how to run a business, he has left the specialist areas to the specialists and he controls the parts he knows how to use.

The main credit for this season goes to Pardew and the players. No doubt Ashley has helped hm but this season is their achievement.

• 53 rich_toonfan // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM

And as far as champs league or europa league goes.

would you rather us play man utd, city, chelsea, arsenal etc in the prem league

or beat teams like barnsley, doncaster etc in the championship

We may not do well in the champs league but we would be testing ourselves against the best.

• 54 achtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM

To be fair to billson I was on another football blog site the other day and some asked the question about best owners and a suprisingly large amount named ashley including manure fans who hate their owners. Better the devil you know.

• 55 geordiejamie89 // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Have to say I’m not looking forward to Newcastle playing Man City after their last performance. I think we’ll be defending as much as against Arsenal, except with more goal threat.

• 56 rich_toonfan // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM

@geordiejamie

I think it comes down to whether they are still in the title race.

• 57 mallyonthetoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Mike ashley deserves some credit hes got the club on a sound financial footing hes letting pardew run the team hes staying out of the limelight now we are doing well yes hes upsets the fans now and then but i suppose thats part and parcel of running a club with limited funds not to mention the club owes him 140 mil time to get off his back and show him a little appreciation for a change

• 58 sweendog // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

WWJBD spelled it out ..
    if ashley lets the team run itself and its in the best interests of the club .. let him do it ..but I support NUFC not owners or business men .. if someone does something detrimental to the club then I get annoyed .. ie renaming the stadium, not investing Carroll money to mention a few recent events..

• 59 warwick // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

People saying that europa is better than CL are forgetting the 3rd place in CL group goes straight in to europa so for me I don’t see anything wrong with pushing to get as high as we can.
    If we made CL we could enjoy it like tottenham did their first year back.

• 60 warwick // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

….sorry make thats spurs first time ever.

• 61 MagpiesFlyHigh // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

rich @ 51

Aye, credit where it is due. AP and the team have done the biz so far this season. Let’s hope for a 70pt plus finish.

WWJBD

Right on ….I never supported the Shepherds and didn’t really trust SJH either so I’m not going to wet myself over some dodgy businessman now – Chelski fans are grateful for the dosh but hate the interference.
    In fact I do not know of any owner who is worshipped by the fans – they are a necessary evil unless you have a Barca or Motherwell type system.

• 62 Klatoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Who wouldnt want a Newcastle shirt with a CL patch on the sleeve ? :-)

• 63 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I just hope fans expections don’t get to high n get better of them like usual as it ain’t easy to get 60/70pts a season but if we can repeat what we’ve achieved this season next season then I think the top teams will really start worrying about us

• 64 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Could be a great day next saturday,

12:45 – watch chelsea butchered off Arsenal in toon, now 5 point s clear of them.

15:00 – watch Toon demolish Stoke 5-0 go three points clear in 4th.

17:30 – watch Joey barton score the winner against spurs, they lose 4-0, thus now not much difference in goal difference, worth another point.

19:00 – El Classico – watch Barca vs Real Madrid, wonder which of these teams we will need to destroy in next years Champions League final.

Should be a cracking day eh, looking forward to it.

• 65 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

davy – dont think my expectations are too demanding eh. Always the realist.

• 66 Jonny // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Got my tickets for the City Game, Block A in the East Stand, four rows from the front. Anyone know if they are good seats? Also, the Remada Encore? Is that close to the stadium?

• 67 oo aa demba ba // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM

As far as the Ashley debate goes:

He has the infastructure set for a fantastic scouting network (where GC deserves credit too)

He has a manager in Alan Pardew who he clearly trusts and appointed on a five year contract, long term plans seem to be set and those are being echoed by Pardew himself

My only worries are:

In order to sustain this then some of our key players will inevitably have to be sold at certain points

As far as our finances go, yes we seem to be on the verge if not already breaking even, but we have over 100mil interest free loans from Ashley himself, if he was to sell up i wonder if that would remain interest free, and how soon would be want it back?

But at the minute:

We have a great team, we are going places, and look like we have european football next season all but guaranteed. As a fan who was too young for European away days last time around, I am absolutely buzzing at the prospect.

Lets just enjoy it!!!!

• 68 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I love the Newcastle fans act like Ashly is the one who has brought in a culture of selling our best players, when we’ve always sold are best players nothing new that Ashly has brought to the club n I would argue that he sold none of our best players Carroll, nolan, Barton n Jose weren’t hard to replace, yet tiote, colo, staylor, krul Jonas have been here for 5/6 different transfer windows now n all have remained

• 69 alkinou // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I’m just hoping we get in Europe and get to play a Belgian team so I can go watch them. Come on!

• 70 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM

@kilcline

totally agree with you mate, lets all pray that bale, modric, terry , mata e.t.c get injuries hahaha :D not career ending but season ending injuries ;)

• 71 JackButler // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

We have hit a run of form at the right time and with a run in that is easier than Chelsea and Spurs. After every pundit tipped us to struggle and for the two London clubs to make the top four I’m praying that we finish above both

• 72 super magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Oo aa demba ba

I always thought that when ashley sells up he gets the £100million of debt with amount that the club is bought for,

Example- if someone bought the club for £400million , the 100million of debt would be cleared with that payment.

• 73 alkinou // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

@71

Then would the debt be passed on to the new owner? And he could decide whether it’s interest free or not and all that?

• 74 oo aa demba ba // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM

super mag

I thought that, but then wouldn’t it mean that Ashley would want 100mil on top of his estimation? Otherwise he’s losing out really

• 75 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I think the plan would b try n get the club making profits of say 40mil a year that way Ashly can pay for transfer n reclaim his money back

• 76 ToonAndy // Apr 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Off topic but I can’t help but thinking of the transfer window… Seeing asthough we a now pretty much in Europe I would love to see players such as…

Jan Vertoghan
    James Tompkins
    Dries mertens
    Siem de Jong
    Adam Johnson
    Marvin Martin
    Jay Rodriguez
    Luuk de Jong…

These transfers would make our team on squad formidable…

I would like to see the likes of ;

Alan smith
    Ranger
    Lovenkrands
    Best

All shown the door….

———————————–KRUL————————–

SAYLOR——VERTOGHAN——COLLO——SANTON

JOHNSON/CABAYE—TIOTE/SIEM—-MARTIN/DRIES

BENNY/MARVEAUX—–CISSE—–LUUK DE JONG/BA

Look at the strength in depth there boys!! HWTL!!

• 77 bollance // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Not sure anyone has mentioned this yet..

At moment with fair play rules coming in it is all about revenue. If we get final champions league spot then Spuds and Chelsea won’t be in CL. That will be a massive drop in revenue for them next year.

So they will need to sell stars.

• 78 Jail for Ashley // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Ashley does deserve a lot of credit for our position right now,but more so Pards and Graham Carr,but before we all go screaming from the rooftops what a great owner he is,his mistakes aren’t to far in the past and this summer will soon be upon us,I’m not going to say anything negative as it is pointless and unfounded, things are going very well indeed at the moment,but I still reserve judgement on our once portly owner.

• 79 Spuggy // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Class interview with Cabaye – top bloke, defo a bit of man love for him, sorry torres, you’re binned lmao.

• 80 Spuggy // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Also interview with Ba, he’s happy to provide for Cisse ;-)

• 81 Jail for Ashley // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Davyb,
    I know you’re well up on this subject,the way the league and cup winners have panned out does that mean eighth position could now get a Europa place ?

• 82 nufc786 // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

watchin the hillbrough memorial right now dont care about the scousers its something to remember and mourn about

• 83 thebionicMAG // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Being a former Ashley hater I agree with bill-son.
    He deserves credit. But I guess some people will always just hate the guy no matter what he does. The analogy with the paperboy not wiping his backside on the newspapers anymore, though amusing, is no real analogy for me I’m afraid WWJBD.
    Ashley appointed Pardew, Ashley set the strict wage and buy structure. Ashley point blank refused to sell Andy Carroll for anything under £35 Million. Yes the stadium looks like a Chav’s shell suit but as soon as we get a Stadium sponsor (which will be highly likely with Europa or Champs League) most of that crap should be gone.
    The renaming of St James Park, I couldn’t give a monkeys cause it will always be St James Park. However I personally I would be prepared to meet the fans halfway and call it”The St James Park Etihad Stadium” or The St James Park Emirates Stadium” if possible with the sponsorsCredit where credit is due.

• 84 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Jail no 8th wont b good enough for Europa, we basically have Europa secured now barring a major collapse, Swansea could qualify through the fair play league, we need 4pts to hav it confirmed but those 4pts are only needed if everton won every game n liverpool n well it’s not gonna happen is it so for its confirmed, I actually think havin Europa in the bag will take us to 4th bcoz the pressure is off

• 85 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Does anyone kno if Nike is our new sponsor or has puma got a new deal?

• 86 JackNUFC // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM

@83 thebionicMAG

Spot on there i agree with everything you said, he’s running a business and doing it well, the team is performing well and achieving successful ambitions. We should be delighted with the progress and most of us are, but still cant seem to lay of Ashley.

With transfers, we were to qualify in the champions League i would like to see a higher up grade in our squad with the lower rated part time squad players leaving

In – Pieters or Cissokho
    – Marvin Martin (Brilliant player btw)
    – Hoillet/ Adam Johnson/ Drenthe
    – Douglas/ Yanga-Mwiba/

Young additions CB and ST , CAM
    – Grant Hanley
    – Jay Rodriquez
    – Amifiltano

Also if Ba was to leave i would take Luuk de Jong anyday.

Sell –
    Best
    Smith
    Lovernkrans
    Forster
    Xisco (Hopefully)
    Gosling
    And Simmo and Guthrie are easily replaced.

What changes would you’s like in the squad lads?

• 87 nufc786 // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

puma signed the new deal until 2014 with us

• 88 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Don’t matter just found this

• 89 nufc786 // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

• 90 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

There’s no way I would sell best, gosling I think there very good players I’d give both new deals

• 91 nufc786 // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM

gosling needs to be loaned out to get match fitness and sharpness me thinks first

• 92 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Gosling is only 21/22 there’s no way I’d sell him

• 93 thebionicMAG // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Cheers Jack

Yeah deff sell all the players you mentioned especially Xisco! Jeeeeezuz did he sign a 10 year contract with us or something? He seems to have been around for YEARS!

I know it wouldn’t happen but I would love to see Teves at NUFC. I know some people would see it as being more than a tad risky but Pardew knows him and has great man management skills. Also even Teves has got to acknowledge you cant keep p_ssing off your employers and will need to just settle down and play football… But thats just an inflated pipe dream, he aint coming and never will…

• 94 bollance // Apr 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Think this may be the reason that xisco never will fit in at the toon

did Dennis wise do his homework? Don’t think he would have discovered this on youtube

• 95 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I couldn’t care less if he’s gay he’s not very good is the point, there will b many gay footballers in the prem aswell as leagues all over the world

• 96 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Jesus ashley young is a disgrace against his old club too

• 97 JackButler // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Ashley Young to partner Tom Daily in synchronised diving for 2012 games

• 98 nufc786 // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM

sickening the ref coudnt wait to blow the whistle for ashley young

• 99 MagPieMan // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Here’s a list of good strikers that would be good replacements for Lovenkrands, Ranger or Best if any of them leave,

Gabby Agbonglahor, Aston villa, 25
    John Gudietti, Man City, 20
    Kevin Doyle, 28, Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, 26,Stevan Fletcher,25Wolves
    David Goodwillie, BlackBurn, 23
    Victor Moses, 21, Higo Rodallega,26, Wigan
    Jay Rodriguez, Burnley, 22
    Madibo Maiga, Sochaux, 24
    There are many more, I just can’t be bothered putting them down so if any of you have any suggestions…

• 100 nufc786 // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Newcastle United defender Ryan Taylor has tweeted: “Ashley Young is an absolute DISGRACE. He’s the biggest cheat in the league. His antics are a joke.”

• 101 JackButler // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Anyone know if Marveuax is back in training yet???

• 102 2_goal_tino // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM

A) Who cares if he’s gay? Most wouldn’t care and those that do would shut up if he started scoring goals regularly
    B) That story is 2/3 years old
    C) The pics prove nothing – the vast majority of my friends have similar photos taken of them in a drunken state.

I used to think that he hadn’t been given enough of a chance with us, but his continued failure on loan suggests he simply isn’t good enough.

Finally, Young is a disgrace. Every week he either outright dives, makes the most of the merest contact or actively goes looking for contact (like he did there)

• 103 Carlo.man // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

dont remember us in european football so cannot wait to witness it also most of my friends are chelsea fans so to finish above them would be unreal

• 104 toonincheek // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Fortunately, Tevez would never come.

It’s too far from Manchester.

• 105 nufc786 // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Carlo.man
    do your friends take us seriously or do they think we’ve had a one season wonder

• 106 mallyonthetoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Ashley you g shoking iv jusy seen the replay of that penalty deccision ond that guy should hac a pair of flippers and a oxygyn tank for diving like that

• 107 GeordieToon89 // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Jack – Ive heard Marveaux will be back on the bench for the Man City game

• 108 GeordieToon89 // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Sorry not ‘Will’ I mean he could be back if selected

• 109 pardew no 1 // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM

i think it is shocking whats worse he is english take the pain like heskey does

• 110 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM

How can dwight yorke keep a straight face when he said its definatly a penalty! Ah think next season sky should choose there pundits so there biased on the game there paid to provide ‘analysis’ pn

• 111 geordiejamie89 // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Ashley Young should be given a ban. If he played for any other team that would have been a yellow card. Ref’s bottle decisions at home. Joke. I hope he never plays for England again, and he brakes his legS before the end of this match.

• 112 2_goal_tino // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

@downsouth – He’s unbelievable. I remember watching back our demolition of them and he said it was undeserved and much to the bewilderment of everyone denied the stonewall penalty we should have had when Ferdinand took out Ba. The other pundit just laughed.

• 113 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

@2goaltino aye i remember that despite all the stats and the 3-0 scoreline he still tried claiming we were second best! Why does he have to keep mentioning he still goes to the training ground? Who cares? Do the job your paid to do and try to remember villa also treated you well when you were with them its painful watching sky the only decent pundit this year, who actually shocked me is gary neville

• 114 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Dwight Yorke is a complete brainless turd, me thinks pundits should be given IQ tests before they are allowed to have an opinion.

• 115 billy15 // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Gabriel Agbonlahor could do really well at newcastle, become part of the front 3 with him playing in the wider position on the left coming in on his right and having a shot. Really pacey aswell, which is something we dont have. Could be a good signing.

• 116 Novocastrian66 // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM

On Dwight Yorke. His statements are so one sided it’s a joke. The thing that bugs me is nobody challenges him. At least Butch Wilkins was laughing at him when Yorke was trying to defend Young. Cannot see Villa winning another game playing like this. Looking forward to the Semi after watching this tripe. No contest.

• 117 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Wow 4-0 wonder if givens gonna hand in a transfer request!

• 118 KenyanToon // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

lol

• 119 Dannyo // Apr 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Onto a different topic;

I’m excited seeing what players we’ll get into the team next season, and also how they’ll perform.
    But i have to say, i’m also equally excited to be able to see our youngsters in the field even more.
    Tavernier, Streete, Campbell, Fergy, Vuckic, Abeid, Sammy, Richardson… All of them will have different parts to play next season imo. 8 top notch youngsters right there to add proper strength in depth.

Will be great to see imo, they’ll be like new signings :P

• 120 tdt // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Does it really matter for Newcastle who wins this FA cup semi final?

• 121 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM

An embarresment of a pundit to an embarrasing set of fans shame on you few chelsea/spudd fans who cant observe a minutes silence in memory of so many lives lost at hillsborough n the poor lad who died yesterday in italy glad niether of you are gonna get 4th n represent england in europe

• 122 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Hope spuds hammer chelski(after extra time) just dont like them or their fans (not true football fans for me), boat load of empty seats as well from these massive clubs. About time we overtaook these plastic teams

I imagine a lot of spuds fans probably thought it wasnt worth going to wembley this time of the day to get abused and potentially assaulted by all the d1ckhead chelski fans.

• 123 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Yep. TDS – i wud hazard a guess it wil be Chelsea fans being d1ckheads during the minutes silence, a few pints of fizzy and they are absolute tools.

• 124 MagPieMan // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:13 PM

My word, Dwight York AND Ray Wilkings at the game. This means completely biased vues and idiotic remarks. 2 of the worst pundits in football. Remember Ray Wilkins commentary when Cabaye ( i think it was) got injured?, he was telling them to get on with it and just get off the pitch, even though he was getting in a stretcher and taken off the pitch. Completely no sense.

Another thing, Dwight York was getting on at Reina’ red card and James Perch saying he hated divers and that they should be banned. I wonder what he thinks about Youngs dive at QPR. He probably thought it was a stone wall penalty and it was a certain Red card.

• 125 2_goal_tino // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

It was the Chelsea fans booing the minutes silence definitely not Spurs. It was a planned protest that they spread on their forums and was supposed to be a protest against them playing on a Sunday evening when they’ve got Champions League semi final soon afterwards. It’s pure stupidity, just means people dislike them even more.

• 126 Novocastrian66 // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Remember when we played Chelsea in the cup semi and on the tube after the match their fans were complaining about how long it would take to get home as they had to travel across London. Unbelievable. I politely put them in their place. Knackers.

• 127 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Dannyo – looking forward to the young uns starting to make a mark next year,

Sammi – think he cud develop into a player who is a real treat to watch, has no inhibitions about attacking any full back, seen that against chelsea and Man city, didnt care that it was clichy or ivanovic just went at them, reminds me of a young Chrissy Waddle, plus he was the best player on the pitch for England U21’s before he got injured, stood out a mile.

Thing Mehdi Abeid is a talent and will be a top player, technique, pace, directness and physicality, could be top class,

Fergy – like him, dont think he has enough pace and tricks to make it as LM, however busy and technocal and if he bulks up cud become a gud LB.

Vuckic – Technical and talented but lacks a position, maybe playing left hand side in a forward three, not enough pace or energy to be trusted playing CM, unless he plays as some sort of DM, quarterback type role as he is a big lump of a lad,

Tavernier – wud play him now instead of simpson, looks technically gud and seems to impose himself more going forward unlike simmo,

It is far to early to mention streete and cambell is realtion to the first team, big difference in looking gud at age group and then being thrown into the PL, were really you need to be international class.

Things look good for Toon, but the PL is so tight the difference between these lads being gud enough for a top 8 side and gud enough for a usual Toon rubbish side is marginal.

• 128 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

@check the toastie aye chelski fans are proper plastic fans unfortunatly i work with 3 of them (none of which have EVER been to a game despite living less than an hours travel away) and not 1 of them could tell of the top of there heads who was there manager before mourinho!

@2goalstino typical they whinge about not competing in the cups then whinge about congestion when their in them muppets!

• 129 JAMSHA // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

guys what if we finish 4th…. n loose CL Qualif round…. then to we straight go in europa cup group stage ?

• 130 JAMSHA // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

do*

• 131 Dannyo // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM

@check

Good assesment, i’ll offer some of mine too.

– Sammy; Think he’ll make the big times. Has shown flashes of what he can do, has also looked a bit out of depth against better oppostion, but looks unafraid as u say and i think that’ll help his development that much more. Needs a bit more meat on the bones imo, can easily be nudged out of possession it seems.

– Abeid; Haven’t seen the lad this year, got better as the match went on when he was offered a chance in the league. Heard he had a little drop from Carver but is in contention again now.

– Fergy; According to Beardsley, the best crosser in the club. Showed that when i watched him play for his country. Never a poor one, and he had quite a few. I think he has loads of pace and quickness in his feet. Also needs some meat on the bones, but he’s adressing that. Remember his Stoke goal? I dunno, i like him as a winger, but has defensive qualities and AP has done good in seeing that. Time will show where he’ll be placed.

– Vuckic; Now, don’t get me wrong here, i’m just making an early comparison, i’m not saying he is or ever will be, that good. But the lad reminds me a bit of Zidane. Not too pacey, looks very technical, has a laid back style to his play. I think he should be retrained for a CM position who also has the knack of going forward. Excellent passing range and vision, and what a bloody shot he has on him. Wish he had scored in the game he played…
    Too bad with all the injuries for him tho, hope it doesn’t hamper his development too much.

– Tav; Haven’t seen him either, but people keep going on about him, Pards and Ryder saying he’s as good as Simmo. And he’s only 19. Says it all imo.

– Campbell & Streete; AP has touted them both for the first team, i reckon we’ll see em in pre-season. They’ll be on the bench in cups and such imo. Streete has the physicality already according to Pardew, so i won’t rule him out for sure. Campbell has a build like Rooney. Looks like a bullett running with the ball. Will be interesting to see em both in the squad at some point.

• 132 Lee Dodd // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM

We have to Take it a Game at a Time. I don’t Think Alan Pardew Will let The Players Take the Foot of the Gas . We just have to be the 12th man for the stoke and Man City Games. Keep Everyone fit and even get Besty and Steven Taylor Fit for may !!!!

• 133 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Jamsha, yes, like udinese did

• 134 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM

chelsea looking tired already

• 135 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM

jhon teary off the line

• 136 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM

cracking game, mind

• 137 Novocastrian66 // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM

If Lennon was Young he would have hit the turf quicker than Tony McCoy.

• 138 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM

parker never played this well for toon

• 139 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM

DrogBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• 140 cyprus // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:52 PM

What a cracker of a goal. Will probably end 2-1 spurs, like liverpool did to everton… hope it goes into overtime so both teams get knackered.

• 141 Oleg G // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Drogba’s goal was all about skill. Stopping the ball with his chest, flipping it to his side, far enough to give him space but not too far so he will be able to catch it. And the shot, wow, what a shot.

10/10 for this goal.

• 142 gaz 44 // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM

parker was great at newcastle

• 143 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Isnt drogba out of contract?? Never afford his wages but could you imagine having ba cisse n drogba on the books! Be studfed during the ACN tho!

• 144 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

but not this good, right

• 145 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM

@gaz aye shame hes a london boy thru n thru

• 146 Novocastrian66 // Apr 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Oleg G. Power and strength too; to hold off the defender and to smash the shot.

• 147 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM

@indianmagpie why?

• 148 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Why? regarding what

• 149 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

@indianmag whys it not good?

• 150 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

That was a response to gaz 44, abt scott parker

• 151 JAMSHA // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

chealsea cheat againnnnnnn dirty bastrds

• 152 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Tottenham gone

• 153 MacToon // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM

lol another great decision by a ref! NOT

• 154 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM

@indianmag soz mate misread ur post

• 155 Oleg G // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM

You got to be kidding me. It was 30-40 cm out.

• 156 mallyonthetoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Never a goal shockig deccision ref jeeez

• 157 JAMSHA // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

sure chelsea have paid the ref again

• 158 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Referees are doing chelsea a huge favor, wigan any1

• 159 JAMSHA // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM

same thing gona happn we we play them. chelsea wana b in CL so they will do anytng to b there

• 160 Pardew's fist pump // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Football’s a total farce isn’t it? I question why I waste my time with it, more and more often.

• 161 MacToon // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Oleg, more like a foot from the line ;)

• 162 Oleg G // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Indeed.

• 163 JAMSHA // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

indian against fulham to… an it will happen against us to for sure

• 164 mallyonthetoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Chelsea seem to hav ref in there back pockets these days its a joke hopefully thayll have used all this luck up by the time we play them

• 165 Oleg G // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I would say that Spurs didn’t have the funds to keep the ball out of the net if you know what I mean.

• 166 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM

bale

• 167 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

what happened to luiz

• 168 JAMSHA // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM

goallllllll

• 169 Oleg G // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Refs rules book.

Vol II
    2012 Edition

Chapter 4: How to make difficult decisions

1.G.(b) If you don’t see what happened, decide by what team, coach, player, fans or city you like more.

• 170 mallyonthetoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Hmmm wat would you prefer if it was us a penalty and ther keeper off or the goal

• 171 Oleg G // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:18 PM

mallyonthetoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Abramovich decided that it is much cheaper to buy the ref than to buy players.

• 172 Indian Magpie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:18 PM

i dnt care who wins as long as it goes 2 extra tym

• 173 jesperfuglsang // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Are Liverpool sure of Europe League next season as long as either Spurs or Chelsea finish in the top 6?

Would really be great if they werent ;-)

• 174 GeordieToon89 // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Liverpool are already in europe doesnt matter where them or anyone else finishes in the league because they won the League Cup

• 175 WWJBD // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Luiz off crocked hard lines for the lad admittedly looked fairly bad tbh…but good for us

• 176 MacToon // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Oleg @ 171, there’s many a true word spoken in jest ;)

• 177 jesperfuglsang // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Bugger :-( that is right, they won the League Cup.

Would have been great though :-)

• 178 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I hav gave liverpool a hard time on the blog lately however in my lifetime i have always enjoyed going to anfield and enjoying the crack, seeing the london derby today makes me reflect on some of the scouse bashing i have done lately, and you know wot i hope they beat either of these southern teams in the final,

You know what i feel better for that, i feel as though i have reclaimed my soul, liverpool i bare you no malice, it is your manager that i find most disagreeable, a leaf has been turned, thanks to the two plastic teams playing currently.

Amen.

• 179 2_goal_tino // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Cech being suspended in the league would’ve been good for us – Turnbull is dire.

• 180 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

spurs look a bit knackered, hopefully they will collapse in league, game over now, think it does us a favour as well, chelsea will sea the league as a distraction, for me between us and supds for 4th, especially after chelsea get smashed by sraenal next week.

• 181 jesperfuglsang // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well i dont hate the bindippers per say; there is only thw teams i hate and that is the Spurs and Citeh :-)

I just thought is would be good riddance if the bindippers didnt get into Europe next season, but they are already there and if Villa went down :-) lol

• 182 jadore le toon // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I might have missed this. But if we finish 4th. Can we still drop down to Europa league if Chelsea win the champions league or more important if they win the fa cup?

• 183 davis_toons // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Money TALKS… Now you should know why… for 3 times. Chelsea have all the advantage in the last 3 run.. this time the ref and linesman is the “Mickey Mouse” Ref.

IT is a foul and the ref didnt even when he is NOT sure of a goal. How can he give it?

Yes its the Rus Money

• 184 mallyonthetoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Lampard what a hit

• 185 davis_toons // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

THE UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.

-Thats what we will have to face when we are against them for FOURTH Spot.

• 186 Papiss9 // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Spurs last 5 games in PL:

QPR (A)
    Blackburn (H)
    Bolton (A)
    Aston Villa (A)
    Fulham (H)

Newcastle have a really good chance of gettin top 4. Chelsea are playing arsenal and liverpool away and at home against us.

• 187 Oleg G // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

How these balls change their angle like this while traveling? crazy.

• 188 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

got problems spuds, their 2 centre halfs are shot, Gallas and King are well past it, next year they will be worse and quite clearly floppy chops is about to dessert a sinking ship. Looks gud for us next year, Modric to Man city/chelsea and Bale will maybe move on as well, no adebayor, oh it will be gud to see them struggle, wud only take walker and caulker from there squad, the rest are injury prone or over the hill.

• 189 JAMSHA // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM

there u go drogba starts his acting

• 190 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM

gotta say Cahill has looked pretty gud since moving to chelski, wonder if he proves to be worth his 100 grand a week for 5 years, no Steven Taylor in my eyes.

• 191 Pardew's fist pump // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I really have never understood the hype around Modric. Ordinary compared to how he’s made out by the media.

• 192 davis_toons // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Poor Spurs … Chelsea have the ref support.

• 193 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM

New dislike list from Check The Toastie –

1. John Terry
    2. John Terry
    3. John Terry
    4. John Terry
    Joint 5th Luis Suarez/Ashley Young

Why does the disagreeable sh1t think he can referee every game, and he plucks his eyebrows, im sure of it.

• 194 check the toastie // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Fist Pump – agreed he is blessed in the fact all he needs to do is collect the ball and pass it to Bale or Lennon, who turn standard balls into goal scoring opportunities, he can be bullied out the game. Media darling eh.

Parkers lips about to trip him up, he gets away with murder, slides about without getting carded, hope this embarrassment kills their confidence, new England manager is showing his worth, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .

• 195 Novocastrian66 // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Oh when the Spurs
    Go 4 – 1 down.
    Oh when the Spurs go 4 – 1 down.
    All their fans fcuk off home
    When the Spurs go 4 – 1 down.

• 196 Oleg G // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Actually I like this.
    5-1 Spurs loosing. That is good for us.

• 197 Oleg G // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM

On a different subject. A.Villa will go down :) ?
    mmm… that would be sweeeeeeet!

• 198 toonking // Apr 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM

well if decisions even themselves out over the season then surely we can expect the referee to be in favour of newcastle against chelsea

• 199 Dannyo // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

LetsAllLaughAtSpurs

• 200 Dannyo // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Dunno if i’ll be able to see the last 5 games of the season, going to the states for a month.

• 201 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Well 1 goal might have been controversial but spuds were well n truly spanked

• 202 rknufc // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM

does anyone have a link for match of the day from saturday or a link of the full newcastle v bolton match

• 203 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Just been looking at the premier league form table n spurs are 4th bottom not looking good for spurs lol

• 204 Barras // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Our last five games seem like there going to be so tough.

• 205 Jail for Ashley // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Well looking at the fixtures I think two wins against Stoke and Wigan and draw the other three should definitely see us to fifth,and the way Spurs are at the moment could quite possibly get us fourth.

• 206 Jail for Ashley // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Also looking at the tables I think whoever finshes eigth will get a Europa spot if Lpool finish seventh.

• 207 davis_toons // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Like Us Spurs tried very hard to build a squad but they just do not have a little more cash for the Ref deals tats all.

-Harry the Media cant help much in field BUT the Media after effect can be an impact.

-Could it be just nice for us to face them, who knows.
    -FA is looking into it ref, pls keep your Cash tight.

• 208 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM

We need man utd to beat man city n win the league because city then come here with nothing to play for n if that happens I cud see us beaten them

• 209 davis_toons // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:39 PM

We cant blame them. Who’s the lowest paid players / person on the field?

• 210 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM

8th doesn’t get Europa league only 5th n 6th, Liverpool get it bcoz they won carling cup

• 211 Jail for Ashley // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Davyb,
    If Chelsea finish sixth they would qualify via Fa cup and the other finalist is Lpool who qualify via league cup so if Lpool finish seventh then surely eighth place must take it I know for sure that Cardiff wont.

• 212 Jail for Ashley // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Davyb,
    My bad I see it now : ?

• 213 Dannyo // Apr 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM

@davy
    It’s odd. A club finish 2nd in the league and are nowhere near a trophy and they fire the manager etc. etc.
    We finish 6th, 5th or 4th and it’s like we’ve won the league, the league cup and the fa cup.
    Lol, talk about perspectives.

• 214 PIBID (the poster formerly known as hattambenarfa) // Apr 15, 2012 at 9:02 PM

this season is going to be a weird one to disect, since it could turn out that the carling cup winners, and fa cup winners have qualified in effect twice, aswell as neither of these qualifying for cl, it depends on how many spaces we are allocated, i think its 4cl, 4 europa, unless europa qualifiers qualify for cl at which point there are no extra berths for europa?

it could turn out that 8th get europa, i have no idea really just thinking aloud..

• 215 Barras // Apr 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Its so difficult because after playing Stoke, Wigan, Manchester City and Chelsea, the Everton match could easily be our hardest test.

• 216 Novocastrian66 // Apr 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM

PIBID. There are 4 Champions league places and 3 Euro league places. If Chelsea won the Champions League they would qualify for the next season, if they do not finish in the top 4. The team finishing fourth would then get one of the Europa slots. I reckon the lowest place a team could finish and qualify for the Europa league is 6th.

• 217 davybtoon // Apr 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM

This is how it pans out
    4th champions league unless chelsea win cl they wud then get it in this isn’t goin to happen though they hav barca
    5th Europa league
    Carling cup europacleague Liverpool get this
    Fa cup chelsea get this spot because Liverpool already have one spot
    Ryt so if Chelsea finish 5th they wud get Europa league n there spot from the fa cup wud go to 6th

• 218 PIBID (the poster formerly known as hattambenarfa) // Apr 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM

right so its down to 6, and then liverpool

• 219 Graeme // Apr 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Cheating, Simulation, call it what you like, its a disgrace.

I would like to see the FA introduce “Retrospective Analysis” of all such incidents from begining of next season. If a player is found guilty then he gets an automatic 3 game ban. If an oposing player got sent off as a result of the Simulation, then its a 6 match ban and the innocent player has his penaly quashed.

Just to make it REALLY bite, if any player is proved to have used simulation, cheating to gain advantage, his CLUB are given an automatic 3 point deduction.

I guarantee Simulation,diving, cheating would be removed from our game within 6 weeks of the season starting and it will do our game the world of good.

• 220 thebionicMAG // Apr 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Sot on Graeme.

• 221 thebionicMAG // Apr 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Spot on meant to say!!!

• 222 Seba29072 // Apr 16, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Lol @ the people panicking about getting 6th, so ridiculous to even talk about it. Even if we lose every game Everton will never make the points. And even if they do achieve what I would calculate as a 2% likelihood then so what, its only europa league and we clearly don’t deserve to be in it.

previous post: Magpies’ Relationship With Gateshead Bodes Well For The Future

next post: What Happens If Chelsea Win FA Cup Or Champions League?